Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 19:01   #1861
BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Which brand are these?

For some reason, the frameless wiper I used on my Aspire as well as old Figo never gave a clean wipe. I have tried both Hella and Bosch and neither of them work well and hop a lot if there is no enough water. Now I am back to the standard wipers from Bosch.
Frankly speaking, I don't have any high expectations from these.

I was satisfied with the performance of my stock wipers. I just happened to stumble upon these. Reviews were good & pricing was lucrative so I went ahead for a test.

Ford Aspire : Official Review-screenshot_2020101214005001.jpeg
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 15:03   #1862
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
For my 2017 Aspire TDCi, last annual service (at Ganges Ford Kolkata) was done in February 2020 while oddo being 22.5k.

I complained about rattling sounds from front suspension while going over broken roads.
It seems like I am having a similar issue in my 3 year old, 23k run Figo TDCi. Can you describe this rattling sound? For me it is like a loose piece of metal which is rattling against another metallic piece.

I am not sure if this sound is from the driver's footwell, somewhere in the dash behind the steering or if it is the same problem that you have faced.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:11   #1863
Senior - BHPian

Hi @AYP & @NaXal

I too had this problem in my 2015 Aspire, though it wasn't much & appeared only when driving over bad roads & "Himalayan" speed breakers. I was concerned so went to (nearest) auto mechanic is reasonable repute & he informed me that it was some rubber "katori" around shocks is torn, but it's not a major concern & I can drive on as it can be attended at time of service (due next month). He did some tightening & the sound now comes only once a while. Please also note that roads near my house are not all that good in certain sections, nor I'm slow enough at times.
Hope your issues are also not concerning to hamper the joy of driving poor man's Ford.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 11:06   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
It seems like I am having a similar issue in my 3 year old, 23k run Figo TDCi. Can you describe this rattling sound? For me it is like a loose piece of metal which is rattling against another metallic piece.

I am not sure if this sound is from the driver's footwell, somewhere in the dash behind the steering or if it is the same problem that you have faced.
It's hard to describe a sound & that rattling feel by written words but yes, you are right, it's metalic rattling noise while going over broken roads & taking a speed breaker in speed.

One can definitely pin point its origin to suspension related parts as this rattling noise is directly related to broken roads & to you can definitely feel it too.

By the way, it's so uncanny isn't it? My problem too got detected at exactly same age & oddo.

3 years & around 22/23k kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeep
but it's not a major concern & I can drive on as it can be attended at time of service (due next month)
Longer you wait addressing suspension noise like this, where it feels something metallic in nature, higher the chances of further damage to higher ups like steering rack & related parts.

Yes, in my case too, apart from the noise, there was no driving related issue. Car handled & performed properly.

I think you guys should visit your trusted Ford ASS & get it's checked.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 19:26   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
It's hard to describe a sound & that rattling feel by written words but yes, you are right, it's metalic rattling noise while going over broken roads & taking a speed breaker in speed.

One can definitely pin point its origin to suspension related parts as this rattling noise is directly related to broken roads & to you can definitely feel it too.
This is a classical Maruti problem but the reason there is play in brake caliper pin which leads to the caliper getting a bit loose and rattling. A very easy way to rule this out is to press brake slightly when the car is moving over broken surface and you get that rattling sound. If the rattling sound stops post applying slight pressure the culprit is your caliper pin. Simple fix is to get that greased with caliper grease. I was very surprised when my SA diagnosed this problem and was certain that greasing the pin is just a joke and my problem would surly resurface as the sound surly felt like a suspension issue. I was damn wrong and for once I was quite happy about it!!!
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 12:23   #1866
BHPian

I got the 4th Annual Service done with my 2017 Aspire TDCi Titanium at Ganges Ford Kolkata.

It was supposed to be a simple uneventful routine oil/filter change service. As soon as I did the slot booking over phone, I received SMS from Ford India with their service promise website link for estimate. Following is the estimate,

Ford Aspire : Official Review-01.jpg

Since there was brake/clutch fluid (TDCi uses same hydraulic fluid for brake n clutch operation) replacement involved, brake bleeding was the only thing I felt worried about and planned to ask / inspect for proper bleeding !!

However, the service was anything apart from routine. Problem started right at the time of vehicle reception as the previous SA (same service center) mistakenly entered a much higher oddo meter reading while on my last visit back in September 2020 for the front suspension related warranty work.

It was really an embarrassing situation for me, as if I rolled back the oddo. They were unable to receive the vehicle as the computer system wont allow my actual oddo meter since it was lower than previous visit. Fortunately I had previous WhatsApp image sent by the previous SA and luckily it was showing the oddo too.

Service Center now had to do a lengthy process of emailing, approval and what not in background to rectify their record to accept the vehicle as with present oddo !!

During service, one thing was immediately evident, they were painfully slow. Some what sarkari attitude from their mechanics, where the service advisors were super busy with 30+ vehicles they received during that day.

Anyway, the work progressed, zero up date from SA. I went to ask for an update at around 4PM (remember, they received the car at 9:45AM) & one by one I started to get bad news after bad news.

1. BCM hanged, software flashing solved it, but some problem came again and they were looking for the part to change under warranty. - Excuse me, it was fine till I came in? and their reply was, its electronics, can happen any time right?

2. As they were shorting it out, during washing, they discovered the wiper switch is faulty too.

None of the parts in stock so they ordered and would replace once in stock.

3. After washing, I saw bunch of service guys surrounding the car, my car's lights were behaving abnormally. I asked the SA, he said that was the problem, BCM, they were still trying to do something about it but the bad news was, my brake switch was malfunctioning - Sorry? I drove the car in and it was just fine? SA didn't have any answer but said, they were replacing it under warranty.

4. All ok, right before delivery, one of the horn stopped working and once again they opened it up, tried fixing but eventually replaced that under warranty !!

I don't know, should I feel bad as so many problems came up during the time car was within their hand or should I feel good as rather happening with me out in some remote road, all these things happened during my preventive service visit and thankfully the warranty took care of them all.

Moving on to the bill.

It was 7.2k as oppose to 5.2k displayed it the estimate.

What's extra?

Some lubes and bits n pieces of few hundred bucks, major was alignment and balancing of around 1.7/1.8k. Fair enough, I did feel the need of it so no problem there.

But the issue was with the vehicle report card, all the suspension, steering related parts were marked yellow/red. - Why? I asked, as I just got the entire thing replaced 5k kms ago?

SA said the mechs don't have access to service history, so they did it with kms in assumption.

Aren't you supposed to check and mark? and you want me to sign and accept that I abused it so bad that all went yellow red in 5k kms?

SA didn't argue further, he brought out a stamp and corrected the report card.

Now my vehicle is all healthy as per their report card. Only thing marked as yellow is my battery. That's fair since at last visit too, the previous SA was pushing for a battery replacement. Refer here (Signs that battery needs a replacement)

Over all work on the car felt satisfactory on the drive back home.

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 07:18   #1867
BHPian

Hi all,

A quick question. I've a 2016 Ford Aspire diesel on which I had recently changed the stock headlights with 90/100 halogen with relay. I had used this setup for approx 6 months and the upper part of the reflector on the both the headlights have melted.

Now that I'm changing the headlights with the blackened headlights, can I install the 90/100 halogens or I'll have to stick with the OE spec 55/60? Has Ford improved the quality of the headlights or are they still the same? Can someone guide me whether the blackened headlights can withstand the heat of the 90/100 halogens or not?

Many thanks.
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 14:00   #1868
BHPian

Quote:

During service, one thing was immediately evident, they were painfully slow. Some what sarkari attitude from their mechanics, where the service advisors were super busy with 30+ vehicles they received during that day.
Just got my Ford Aspire 1.2 petrol's 2nd year service completed last weekend. My immediate observation was a very laid back attitude from entire staff. The service center is one of the oldest and reputed in Delhi and I was surprised that SAs were shying away from accepting new vehicles. I could hear a few running away saying "I already have 5 for today". Whom are they kidding?? The one aligned to me was checking in his 4th car at 12pm. He asked me to sit and while fiddling with the PC was simultaneously talking on his mobile with a colleague. In between he kept asking details about my car. Well, I was not surprised when I saw that my car's registration number and color were incorrect in the job card handed out to me. The estimate had some weird charges such as organic grease for INR800. On enquiring I was told that brake calipers would be greased using this special grease. I out rightly refused for this service. Also asked him not to polish the interiors and specially the dashboard.

Went at 6PM to collect my vehicle as received a call from SA at 5:30PM that my car is ready. On reaching there I was told that my car PUC is underway and its taking time due to server issues. Wasn't the car ready half an hour ago Mr. SA??? Wasting another 15 mins the car arrived with a full dab of polish thrown in on my dashboard. Mr SA, did I not tell you not to use polish?

Final paperwork again took time as their systems were not working and they made manual receipts and gate pass. Overall not a very good experience. I just wish Ford has not started to show signs of exiting India which is translating to this shoddy service experience from their most reputed dealer and service center.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 15:52   #1869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi
Final paperwork again took time as their systems were not working and they made manual receipts and gate pass. Overall not a very good experience. I just wish Ford has not started to show signs of exiting India which is translating to this shoddy service experience from their most reputed dealer and service center.
Its been close to 10/12 days since my service and didn't receive that all important feedback call. Usually Server Center calls up in couple of days check on the feedback and Ford Call comes right after service center had taken a positive feedback.

No, neither service center nor Ford called for feedback.

Still waiting for the warranty related parts to arrive !!

Old 29th January 2021, 21:52   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Hi all,

A quick question. I've a 2016 Ford Aspire diesel on which I had recently changed the stock headlights with 90/100 halogen with relay. I had used this setup for approx 6 months and the upper part of the reflector on the both the headlights have melted.

Now that I'm changing the headlights with the blackened headlights, can I install the 90/100 halogens or I'll have to stick with the OE spec 55/60? Has Ford improved the quality of the headlights or are they still the same? Can someone guide me whether the blackened headlights can withstand the heat of the 90/100 halogens or not?

Many thanks.
Hi,

I'm guessing they haven't. A better alternative that I have gone for are fog lamp projectors. They are frankly quite powerful, have a good throw, cheaper in the long run (rather than experimenting with the new set of headlamps) and the best part, they have high and low beams.

Motorbasket has good options available for the same.
bhphog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:24   #1871
BHPian

Quote:
I got the 4th Annual Service done with my 2017 Aspire TDCi Titanium at Ganges Ford Kolkata.
Hello NaXal. I too am sending my car to Ganges Ford on Sunday, 14 Feb 2021. My car is also a 2017 manufactured ( December 2018 registered) Titanium TDCi variant. It has run 39600 kms till date.

My warranty expires on 28 Feb 2021. I would want to seek the advice of all BHPians whether I should purchase extended warranty for another year or not (till 28 Feb 2022)?

Ford is charging 12500 bucks for the extended warranty. Would I be receiving any warranty related work worth Rs. 12500 (or for that matter, even Rs.9000) over the course of next 1 year (3rd year of ownership, and for another 20000 kms, till 60K kms)? If not, then it's just 12500 bucks down the drain.

Kindly note that I do NOT get the routine servicing done from the Authorised Workshop. I buy all the OEM servicing parts on my own, but Shell Helix 5W30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil from Amazon, and get the job done from my trusted local mechanic, while I stand and monitor all the work done. I get wheel alignment done at evey routine service (10000 kms) from a reputed tyre servicing station.

So far, after the 10000 kms servicing, my car has not visited the Authorised Workshop for routine servicing. However, the workshop has been visited multiple times over the last few years to get multiple issues sorted under warranty. It included the AC Drain Pipe blockage issue, Power window switch not functioning issue, multiple rattles fixing (I'm assuming infamous the suspension side one, not sure though), and will shortly go for the Horn fixing, which went kaput today itself. Each time the warranty has been honoured, and the process has been hassle free.

However, apart from routine servicing, for any other major work , the car will always be sent to the ASS (if at all it crops up in the future).

The main reason why I do not get the work done from ASS is because their work culture is half hearted, and my local mechanic does a better job of carrying out this minor work of oil and filter changing.

Quote:
...my last visit back in September 2020 for the front suspension related warranty work.
Could you please tell me what exactly was the problem that you faced, and what part(s) were replaced in the suspension under warranty? I might have missed it before.

Quote:

Anyway, the work progressed, zero up date from SA.
I faced the exact same attitude from Ganges Ford Workshop back in July 2020, when I visited only to get rattles fixed under warranty.

The SA and receptionist were courteous (the receptionist was more courteous than the SA).
I wouldn't say that the mechanics were discourteous, but they didn't have that zeal to work. Their attitude was like they are more of doing me a favour by solving my problem than the other way roun.d

Coming to the problem(s) I faced, they was this terrible rattling noise (more like metal clunking) over bad roads coming from the side of the rear right wheel, behind the rear right passenger's seat. Don't know what the issue was, but the mechanic solved the issue completely. Regarding solving the issue, I would say a good job was done because the mechanic took multiple test drives (3, if I remember correctly). But I feel he did that because I was constantly hanging around the car, seeing what was being done and what not.

The second problem was rattle coming from the left side of the dashboard. Issue found was that the rubber beads of the glovebox had fallen off, causing the rattle.

Third problem was rattle from driver's side of the dashboard, more from towards the bonnet. I don't know what the issue was, but was solved using a lot of sponge and rubber beads inside the bonnet, driver's side.

Quote:
BCM hanged, software flashing solved it, but some problem came again and they were looking for the part to change under warranty.
Could you please tell me what BCM is? I'm unaware of the term.

Quote:
my brake switch was malfunctioning - SA didn't have any answer but said, they were replacing it under warranty.
Did they replace it undr warranty then and there or are you still waiting for the part?

Quote:
one of the horn stopped working and once again they opened it up, tried fixing but eventually replaced that under warranty !!
Exact same problem with my car, for which it is going to the ASS on Sunday. Also, my rear left side power window switch is not working, which again will be attended to on Sunday.

Quote:
SA said the mechs don't have access to service history, so they did it with kms in assumption.

Aren't you supposed to check and mark? and you want me to sign and accept that I abused it so bad that all went yellow red in 5k kms?
Exactly the reason why I don't go for routine servicing to the ASS.

Quote:
SA didn't argue further, he brought out a stamp and corrected the report card.
Good to know that.

Quote:
Over all work on the car felt satisfactory on the drive back home.
Good to know that too. I guess it makes up for the inconveniences faced.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 12th February 2021 at 19:43.
Big Smoke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:55   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke
My warranty expires on 28 Feb 2021. I would want to seek the advice of all BHPians whether I should purchase extended warranty for another year or not (till 28 Feb 2022)?

Ford is charging 12500 bucks for the extended warranty. Would I be receiving any warranty related work worth Rs. 12500 (or for that matter, even Rs.9000) over the course of next 1 year (3rd year of ownership, and for another 20000 kms, till 60K kms)? If not, then it's just 12500 bucks down the drain.
Hello,

Personally I am big fan of warranty and for me, its not about if I can offset the cost by claiming it, rather its about peace of mind. Definitely the price matters, but there I play it right at the start, when buying the car itself.

Most people look for free gifts from dealer in form of accessories but I demand only one thing, that is, max possible warranty !!

Not always it works out as completely free as dealer may ask me to share the cost, like for this car, dealer requested me to pay Rs. 5k for 2+3 year extension !!

Coming to the warranty benefits, Engine/GearBox/AC, fuel system (pump / injectors) or electrical parts can be extremely costly. If something breaks, warranty is like a life saver.

However,

Quote:
Kindly note that I do NOT get the routine servicing done from the Authorised Workshop.
That one single line would sum it up for you. No, there is no point of trying to increase the warranty. Manufacturer and dealerships will be well within their rights to reject any and all warranty claims. Basic condition of the warranty is already violated here.

Quote:
So far, after the 10000 kms servicing, my car has not visited the Authorised Workshop for routine servicing. However, the workshop has been visited multiple times over the last few years to get multiple issues sorted under warranty.
Consider yourself extremely lucky and thank the generosity of Ford India for honouring the warranty for your vehicle as they are within their rights to reject the warranty for no service history from ASC. Internet is full of such complains where not just Ford, all other companies have rejected warranty claims for not doing service in ASC.

However, on closer inspection, I could see most of your warranty related work was relatively cheap and technically not related to service so may be that is why they accepted the claims.

Quote:
Could you please tell me what exactly was the problem that you faced, and what part(s) were replaced in the suspension under warranty? I might have missed it before.
* Metallic rattling sound from front end of the vehicle, mainly from front suspension when going over broken roads
* Faint squeaking sound in morning when turning the steering wheel.

They replaced the entire power steering assembly along with power steering motor and steering related parts, they also change lower arms and steering link rods and some other related parts.

Quote:
Could you please tell me what BCM is? I'm unaware of the term.
BCM / BCU
PCM / PCU
ECM / ECU

May be that would help, as different manufacturer call their stuff with different name. BCM is basically a electronic computing device to control vehicle electricals like lights, wiper, mirror and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_control_module

Quote:
Did they replace it under warranty then and there or are you still waiting for the part?
And yes, although I needed to make multiple visit for them to swap the faulty parts, but eventually they have fixed them all.

Quote:
Exact same problem with my car, for which it is going to the ASS on Sunday. Also, my rear left side power window switch is not working, which again will be attended to on Sunday.
Ganges Ford displays their grievance escalation matrix right at their Customer Area entrance. Usually the first level, that's their CRM is good enough to take care any service related complains.

He is young and helpful, I think you can discuss this warranty related question of yours with him. Generally I have seen him trying to find best solution or advice for the customer.

In case you need his number, ping me, I have taken a picture of their complain escalation board, I shall share that with you.

Thanks.

Last edited by NaXal : 12th February 2021 at 23:57.
NaXal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 10:57   #1873
BHPian

Thanks NaXal for answering all my queries, one by one!

Quote:
They replaced the entire power steering assembly along with power steering motor and steering related parts, they also change lower arms and steering link rods and some other related parts.
Could you please tell me if all these parts were replaced under warranty or you had to pay for the same?

Today, my car has gone to the workshop (I have not gone; car was taken by a driver from the workshop).
I complained about a small rattling sound from the left side, around the co-driver door.
The SA told me that the front suspension is in a really bad shape, and that might be the cause of the rattling sound.

Also, that steering squeaking sound has been there in my car since DAY 1! I have however not complained about it yet. Would be really helpful if you could provide some guidance regarding the same.

I am however not fully convinced regarding the suspension work. I will get the work done only after I get it inspected from another party. Kindly share your thoughts regarding this matter.

Quote:
In case you need his number, ping me, I have taken a picture of their complain escalation board, I shall share that with you.
Yes, I remember seeing that board last time I had visited Ganges Ford Workshop. Very useful indeed.
Sadly, I didn't take a picture of that escalation matrix.
It would be really helpful if you could post the picture of the same here, as it would be helpful to many other people other than me.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 11:54   #1874

Update on service @ 78,000km, 5.5 years (Aspire 1.5 Petrol DCT)

Decided to get the service done at Select Auto, Dadar, rather than risk with sole authorised workshop Bhavna Ford in Mumbai. Apart from regular service, dashboard / glovebox rattle needed attention & a rear power window was giving trouble. With Engine oil change (Mobil Synthetic), the total cost came to 11K.

I wonder if it is possible to get the SYNC 3 system installed on an old Aspire. Any TBHP member has explored / installed?
Aspirational is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 23:00   #1875
BHPian

Got my car serviced today at 40000 km / 2 yrs 2 months. (Diesel)

Servicing was done by my trusted local mechanic, but strictly as per Ford India's specifications.

The following jobs were performed-
  • Engine Oil changed: Shell Helix Fully Synthetic 5W30 4 liters.
  • Oil Filter Changed (OEM).
  • Air Filter Changed (OEM).
  • Cabin Air Filter Changed (OEM).
  • Brake & Clutch Fluid changed with Toyota OEM fully synthetic DOT4 fluid.
  • Front Brake pads inspected and cleaned + calipers greased. The entire assembly was also adequately adjusted, as required.
  • Rear Brakes Cleaned + Inspected. Same with this one too, the entire assembly was also adequately adjusted, as required.
  • Battery Service Done: Changed the battery water and cleaned the terminals. The battery voltage output is around 10.5V now. The service Centre guy said I can use the battery without any issues for at least another year.
  • Rear wheel hubs cleaned & greased.

Observations & Recommendations of the mechanic-
  • Front Brake pads have about 30% life left. It is recommended to get it changed after 5000-6000 km.
  • Rear brake shoes are also recommended to get changed when the front brake pads are replaced.
  • Gear oil was checked: Perfect condition.
  • Tyres need replacement at the earliest.
  • The rear wheels were not being able to rotate 100% freely due to dust accumulation on the rear wheel hubs. This was thoroughly cleaned during service.

My observations & feedback after service-
  • The braking has improved vastly. The bite is much stronger now.
  • When driving enthusiastically, the car feels (rather, re-feels) like a rocket now! This is because of the ever so responsive clutch. Just wants to take off at the slightest release of the pedal!
  • The rocket-like feeling is also because the engine can rev more freely now, all credit to the superb Shell Helix synthetic engine oil. And of course, all the new filters as well.
  • The brake pedal's height has increased a bit after the brake system adjustments. Actually, this was the height of the brake pedal initially, if I remember correctly. Over the course of use in 40000 km, the height had reduced a bit.
  • The car had visited the Authorised Workshop yesterday. The faulty rear power window switch and the horn got replaced and repaired respectively, under warranty. I also got a minor rattling noise from the left side fixed for 550 bucks. According to the SA, it needed some door adjustments and some consumable parts like tape and rubber parts. The problem has now been solved completely. As a result, even after going over bad roads at considerable speed, the car feels tight! No sound whatsoever.
  • NVH level has reduced very slightly. This just goes on to show the high quality of Shell Helix Fully Synthetic engine oil. I had used the same engine oil during the last service as well (albeit 5W40, instead of 5W30). Even after being used for 10000 km, the oil retains its properties very close to the new oil. I believe that is the reason why most European cars use this oil only and recommend it to be changed at every 15000 km.

Tyres-

My car is still running on the stock MRF ZV2K 175/65 R14 tyres.
The car runs over a mix of city roads + expressway roads + sub-urban roads daily. Considering the road conditions, I believe the tyres help-up pretty well.

I plan to upgrade to 185/70 R14 tyres, since I believe it would provide me a better ride quality. Having very high grip is not the top priority. Comfort is the top priority. But don't want to go with 195 cross-section tyres, since it would result in a considerable dip in fuel economy.

Kindly share your thoughts on this one.

Total Cost-
  • OEM Air Filter + OEM Cabin Air filter + OEM Oil filter + Toyota OEM DOT4 brake & clutch Fluid (250 ml) = Rs. 1085 (Don't remember the exact break-up of cost).
  • Shell Helix HX8 5W30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil (4 liters) = Rs. 1899
  • Labour + Other Consumable goods + Battery Servicing charges = Rs. 920
  • Door alignment at Authorised Workshop (to fix the rattle)= Rs. 556
Total = Rs. 4460

I usually get the wheel-alignment done at every scheduled servicing. This time, I would get it done after installing the new tyres.

Thanks for reading. Suggestions & recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by Big Smoke : 15th February 2021 at 23:13.
Big Smoke is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks