Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2019, 20:57   #2551
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Has anyone seen or test driven the new TUV? I'm curious to know and understand the changes. Since the original launch had numerous niggles, which were addressed only over time and the new owners bore the brunt, will that be a case for this new model as well?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Old 29th July 2019, 10:25   #2552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
Has anyone seen or test driven the new TUV? I'm curious to know and understand the changes. Since the original launch had numerous niggles, which were addressed only over time and the new owners bore the brunt, will that be a case for this new model as well?

I hate to be the only one yapping away here on this thread (it looks like I've hijacked it, going by the activity levels in the preceding few pages) - let me say that I haven't test driven the new TUV. But I know that it has only had some peripheral and cosmetic changes. Whatever niggles existed before have been ironed out now. Suppliers were changed for the vacuum hose, modulator, coolant hose etc. None of those have plagued any of the 2018 model year and onward owners. Wheelspin has greatly reduced from 2018 onwards too - it is a newer suspension kit with a bit more suspension travel range. The facelift version has its cosmetics changes + these benefits of Mahindra's learning curve incorporated in it.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 16:21   #2553
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I hate to be the only one yapping away here on this thread (it looks like I've hijacked it, going by the activity levels in the preceding few pages) - let me say that I haven't test driven the new TUV. But I know that it has only had some peripheral and cosmetic changes. Whatever niggles existed before have been ironed out now. Suppliers were changed for the vacuum hose, modulator, coolant hose etc. None of those have plagued any of the 2018 model year and onward owners. Wheelspin has greatly reduced from 2018 onwards too - it is a newer suspension kit with a bit more suspension travel range. The facelift version has its cosmetics changes + these benefits of Mahindra's learning curve incorporated in it.
Totally in sync with locusjag on this one. The new face lift version of the TUV 300 is mainly focused on the cosmetic changes. I went to showroom and got quotation for the top end T10(O) model (12.5 on-road in Hyderabad), but did not get a chance to TD it. Mine is 2017 model and most of the niggles initially reported in 2015 model TUV are not seen in my Tank. Wheel spin issue is still there in my 2017 version, but to very minimal extent. I only notice wheel spin once in a while during bad roads.

Its not just the case with Mahindra. Tata harrier users initially reported many niggles and Tata ironed them out, even the issues reported by Team BHP official review are no more in the new Harrier.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 13:59   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
I hate to be the only one yapping away here on this thread (it looks like I've hijacked it, going by the activity levels in the preceding few pages) - let me say that I haven't test driven the new TUV.
I absolutely love your comments and expressions, in this thread and on others, so please continue yapping Very informative and the fun way of expressing your thoughts are so enjoyable! Thanks a lot for giving your feedback here. With the initial niggles gone and cosmetic changes in place, the TUV should be more appealing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Totally in sync with locusjag on this one. The new face lift version of the TUV 300 is mainly focused on the cosmetic changes. I went to showroom and got quotation for the top end T10(O) model (12.5 on-road in Hyderabad), but did not get a chance to TD it.
Happy to note your thoughts and like me, you too are in sync with @locusjag. Although the prices have gone up now, the new features appear to justify the increase. TUV sales have been dwindling and hopefully this will be able to pull back some customers!
Old 31st July 2019, 15:51   #2555
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although the prices have gone up now, the new features appear to justify the increase. TUV sales have been dwindling and hopefully this will be able to pull back some customers!
I wouldn't bank on TUV's sales picking up ever again. A lot of its initial sales in 2015 and 2016 were to naive customers who bought the TUV without understanding the product. They've all moved on now, having sold their cars. Their feedback would've permeated by word of mouth to other prospective customers-
* "This car's top speed on the highway is too low" - well of course it is, it's high time people understood the TUV for what it is. Those who don't want a relatively slow car on the highway shouldn't buy it.
* "Too many problems with it" - this is a hangover from the product's initial days, but is unfortunately guaranteed to shoo away faint-hearted prospects to Maruti/Hyundai
* "Feels like driving like a bus" - well, duh, the same applies to the Scorpio and a lot of other BoF vehicles (I heard this firsthand from a friend actually)
* "Hard suspension & bodyroll" - guilty as charged, but then again, the hard suspension grants bad road capabilities and overload friendliness

People just want a highway scorcher even if it means sacrificing space, safety, toughness etc. They would rather spend way too much money on products which give them an excess of certain features and which undercuts them on some aspects. The value for money TUV 300 just isn't cut out for these customers, who comprise the vast majority of the market.
locusjag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:37   #2556
BHPian

Quote:
I hate to be the only one yapping away here on this thread (it looks like I've hijacked it, going by the activity levels in the preceding few pages) - let me say that I haven't test driven the new TUV... None of those have plagued any of the 2018 model year and onward owners. Wheelspin has greatly reduced from 2018 onwards too - it is a newer suspension kit with a bit more suspension travel range. The facelift version has its cosmetics changes + these benefits of Mahindra's learning curve incorporated in it.
Quote:
Totally in sync with locusjag on this one. The new face lift version of the TUV 300 is mainly focused on the cosmetic changes.
Quote:
I wouldn't bank on TUV's sales picking up ever again. A lot of its initial sales in 2015 and 2016 were to naive customers who bought the TUV without understanding the product. They've all moved on now, having sold their cars. Their feedback would've permeated by word of mouth to other prospective customers-
* "This car's top speed on the highway is too low" - well of course it is, it's high time people understood the TUV for what it is. Those who don't want a relatively slow car on the highway shouldn't buy it.
* "Too many problems with it" - this is a hangover from the product's initial days, but is unfortunately guaranteed to shoo away faint-hearted prospects to Maruti/Hyundai
* "Feels like driving like a bus" - well, duh, the same applies to the Scorpio and a lot of other BoF vehicles (I heard this firsthand from a friend actually)
* "Hard suspension & bodyroll" - guilty as charged, but then again, the hard suspension grants bad road capabilities and overload friendliness
People just want a highway scorcher even if it means sacrificing space, safety, toughness etc. They would rather spend way too much money on products which give them an excess of certain features and which undercuts them on some aspects. The value for money TUV 300 just isn't cut out for these customers, who comprise the vast majority of the market.
Locusjag - you are not yapping away, I just have not had the time to respond.
With that out of the way - to address the popularity/unpopularity of the TUV300, I agree with everything mentioned here. But I will add my two cents anyways -

1. TUV300 is a no nonsense vehicle. It will run without any complaints. I can attest to that considering just completed a weekend trip to Srisailam (approx 500 kms) without any fatigue or complaints from anyone - vehicle or passengers.

2. If you are looking for eye catching looks or performance, please look elsewhere. Apart from the XUV range, all other Mahindra's are not eye turners or tarmac scorchers . They are people movers only and are very good at it.

3. Lack of Advertising - Mahindra does not do adequate promotions for TUV300. Thus no one knows about it, and when you go to buy it, they say why this and not the XUV or Scorpio.

4. People's feedback - The initial niggles, and the way they were negatively highlighted everywhere led to the drop of sales. These niggles are not there at all in post 2018 model and they perform like clockwork.

5. Taxi Image - Not for the TUV300 but for the Mahindra brand. And I do not agree with it at all.

6. No gizmos and gadgets - Well Mahindra's are known for their build quality, and not for gizmos. Yes - the XUV300, 500 and Marazzo might be exceptions.

7. Speed - It is not fast, but yes, you can definately bully all the Sedan based drivers.

Quote:
In other cars that I've driven in the rain at speed, drops on the windshield would work their way up uniformly across the entire span of the windshield.
I just noticed that in the TUV, there is an area around the centre of the windshield from where the drops are not driven by the wind anywhere. It goes to show that the wind itself doesn't get to flow over or around the windshield...we know that the TUV has the aerodynamics of a brick; but to witness firsthand just how bad it is was something else, thanks to the rain.
Locusjag - I personally think a brick is more aerodynamic than our TUV's. But yes, they can handle anything thrown at it. I saw this firsthand on my drive back, when I was driving back from Srisailam and it was raining cats, dogs and all other animals together. Even in that rain, the same spot which you have mentioned were stuck - at 80 - 90 kmph. But yes - it faced it completely.
LegalEagle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 00:21   #2557
BHPian

So as we are on the topic of New Facelift version of TUV 300, quick question to all pre-facelift version owners, what do you think of the new version? Like it or no?

My personal views, the reason I went for TUV is because of no nonsense design. Big and bold boy with heavy stance. I only wanted a people mover + safe car. The new facelift version is kind of moving away from the no nonsense design language, with new gizmos like blacked out grill, blacked out alloys, blacked out headlamps, whitened tail lamps? Silver skid plate? Seriously, just look a picture of side-by-side of old and new below

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv.jpg

The new one is more about bling factor, again it's just my personal opinion. I wish M&M would have made TUV more safe & comfy by including additional features like below

• 6 Airbags
  • 4 wheel disc breaks
  • All wheel ABS
  • Child ISO fix
  • Hill Assist
  • Rear A/C

Most of all a 5* NCAP rating? Is it too much to ask?

Companies these days wooing customers with gizmos like sunroof, dual zone A/C, connected car, automatic headlights, automatic wipers, push start? Seriously I think these are the most useless features in any car.

Also went on a small trip from my hometown warangal to bheemuni padam around 120 KMs round trip with 6 adults and 2 kids. It was raining but the road was good with almost no traffic. Approx 4 kms of ghat road, TUV performed like a charmer. It did not break a sweat. Few pics below. It was supposed to be have a small waterfall there, but due to lack of rains from last few years here, there was no stream of water for falls, but the jungle was good spot for trekking and weekend picnic.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20190726wa0105.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20190726wa0106.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20190726wa0107.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20190801wa0001.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20190801wa0002.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:29   #2558
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't bank on TUV's sales picking up ever again. ... it's high time people understood the TUV for what it is. Those who don't want a relatively slow car on the highway shouldn't buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
1. TUV300 is a no nonsense vehicle...
Lack of Advertising - Mahindra does ...
While we are on this topic let me add what I have always been thinking about the TUV. Mahindra could have marketed TUV as the new gen Bolero from launch, I think that would have set the right expectations among the customers and would have brought better sales as well.

Quote:
  • 6 Airbags
  • 4 wheel disc breaks
  • All wheel ABS
  • Child ISO fix
  • Hill Assist
  • Rear A/C
Most of all a 5* NCAP rating? ...
Please add 4WD variant to the list. It is sorely missed in the feature list and am sure there will be quite a number of takers for that variant.
sathyasuri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 14:57   #2559
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Please add 4WD variant to the list. It is sorely missed in the feature list and am sure there will be quite a number of takers for that variant.
4WD is the only significant missing thing from the TUV's feature list, with other things being of lesser significance in my opinion.

It was during my Ooty trip in May that I realized that the TUV was in its proper element over there. Our TUVs are nothing but sledgehammers to hit a door-nail over here in Chennai; the steep inclines, the inexorably bad roads and no roads over there is what the TUV is built for. But then again, the lack of 4WD renders it a neither-here-nor-there product in some ways. It's not a highway scorcher; then it's got to be at least a full-on champ in off-road applications in order to wow the market.

Last edited by locusjag : 1st August 2019 at 15:06. Reason: Grammar!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 18:28   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
4WD is the only significant missing thing from the TUV's feature list, with other things being of lesser significance in my opinion.

It was during my Ooty trip in May that I realized that the TUV was in its proper element over there. Our TUVs are nothing but sledgehammers to hit a door-nail over here in Chennai; the steep inclines, the inexorably bad roads and no roads over there is what the TUV is built for. But then again, the lack of 4WD renders it a neither-here-nor-there product in some ways. It's not a highway scorcher; then it's got to be at least a full-on champ in off-road applications in order to wow the market.
Absolutely! Even I did a trip to Ooty in the end of May and felt the same. With 4 adults, 2 kids and full boot, TUV chugged along the hairpins in 2nd gear without an hiccup.

4 WD -coming to think of it, if TUV had a 4 WD, along with its already ideal approach and departure angles, it would squarely be in the territory of a hard topped THAR in terms of price and utility, which MnM would not like. So I think it was a conscious decision to drop that off the feature list.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 1st August 2019 at 18:45. Reason: Grammar.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:09   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm so glad I chose the TUV over a new Honda Jazz back in 2018. They both cost nearly the same (with the TUV costing maybe Rs.75K more) but the value being derived by us from our TUV is leagues ahead!
Funnily enough, I was in the same position back in 2015 when the home minister and I were looking for an automatic vehicle (this part was non negotiable) and we narrowed down our search to the Honda Jazz CVT and the then brand new TUV 300 AMT. We really liked the TUV 300 but we felt that there was an element of risk with buying an unproven vehicle, especially with a new AMT gearbox. Fortunately, 4 years and 28,000 kms later, we are quite happy with the Jazz and are glad that we chose the Jazz over all the other options we had considered at that time. The old saying is true, different strokes for different folks.

That said, I have read all the pages of this thread and the TUV 300 sometimes felt like the one that got away. The posts detailing the challenges with the AMT gearbox though make me realize I might have dodged a bullet!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:36   #2562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Funnily enough, I was in the same position back in 2015 when the home minister and I were looking for an automatic vehicle (this part was non negotiable) and we narrowed down our search to the Honda Jazz CVT and the then brand new TUV 300 AMT. We really liked the TUV 300 but ....
That said, I have read all the pages of this thread and the TUV 300 sometimes felt like the one that got away. The posts detailing the challenges with the AMT gearbox though make me realize I might have dodged a bullet!
When i owned a Swift in Chennai between 2011-13, I often found my extended family cramming into it en masse. We've done illegally and dangerously overloaded trips on it (short, medium and long distances). The poor Swift would beach itself on its belly often on humps on the road under all that weight. Its poor approach and departure angles meant that even under designed loads, the front bumper would nudge against the road at certain poorly designed ramps that I frequently drive upon.

I knew I needed an overloadable people mover which could still fit into the city's confines and handle our poor roads.

And in 2017 when I was evaluating cars, I had a back issue. Thus it was that my consideration set was between used older Wagon R models (since I love that boxy design and 4 cylinder engine, but it scored low on carrying people), a new Jazz (for all that legroom), used Sumo Grandes (what a boxy monster!), used Xylos (ship-like) and a new TUV. The Grande or the Xylo would have required me to move to a costlier rented accommodation in order to make for parking space. The TUV fit snugly where I live with the footprint of a Jazz...and the rest is history.

You did indeed dodge the TUV's AMT bullet. And I'm still largely happy with my MT version.

Last edited by locusjag : 3rd August 2019 at 09:39.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 09:35   #2563
Distinguished - BHPian

Am I some kind of heartless person? When bikers nudge against the front or the rear in standstill traffic or narrow streets, I don't even get upset. It is the bikers that are left aghast that I won't even acknowledge their indelible contribution to my car!

Delving deep into the psychology of it all, I'm probably living in a dreamland where my vehicle is truly a battle tank. Bullet ricochet marks on its armor and all that...there'll come a time when much money will be parted with to handle all those dings though.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 10:12   #2564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there'll come a time when much money will be parted with to handle all those dings though.
Battle scars of the urban playground ditto here. dont bother much these days with the small dings, grazes and other myriad things on the bumper. Sometimes i take the meaning of the part very literally - its meant for people and things to bump into and hence that is exactly what will happen. Like how an air filter accumulates dirt, my bumper will accumulate all kinds of marks. Fair game - play on.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 13:55   #2565
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • 6 Airbags
  • 4 wheel disc breaks
  • All wheel ABS
  • Child ISO fix
  • Hill Assist
  • Rear A/C
And then how will Mahindra price it so that they can still sell the Scorpio & XUV500 at the premium price over the TUV300? Business plays a part in the product load up too. Its not a "looker" by any means. I like it - let me clarify that. But then look at what masses are buying & which cars are selling in thousands. People are paying for the looks & looks only. So people won't pay a higher price for TUV300 no matter how much safety you add in it.

Quote:
Most of all a 5* NCAP rating? Is it too much to ask?
I'm afraid thats asking for too much. Its based on the Scorpio platform that had quite a disappointing performance in the NCAP tests. Also - look at the A-Pillar & roof line design & their angle of meet-up. I'd be surprised if this car doesn't come back with a "body structure unstable" comment from an NCAP test - if tested.

Quote:
Quote:
4 WD -coming to think of it, if TUV had a 4 WD, along with its already ideal approach and departure angles, it would squarely be in the territory of a hard topped THAR in terms of price and utility, which MnM would not like. So I think it was a conscious decision to drop that off the feature list.
While the approach and departure angles are really awesome and first thing that comes to mind is off-roading with it, the front & rear tracks appear to be quite narrow - especially in relation to its very tall height overall. That, coupled with its very high center of gravity (since the seats are also very high set) would actually make it very unstable & roll-hungry in an actual 4x4 off road scenario.

Again - its based on a Scorpio platform which doesn't perform too well off road in its 4WD variant in its stock form without modifications. There are countless videos on YouTube by our fellow bhpians where it is evident. So interesting as it is - I don't think the TUV300 would be a really capable 4WD vehicle OTR. Quite far away from Thar for sure.

Last edited by Reinhard : 6th August 2019 at 13:57.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks