Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2019, 10:16   #2446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I received a call from my dealer asking to bring TUV for a free replacement of the said part. So, its probably is a nationwide recall.
Any idea why the said part is being replaced. I haven't received any call till now.
Is the clutch too hard or some mechanical issues?
Mine is Jan 2016 model.
Also if anyone from the forum got it replaced, can share some more info on this.

Last edited by theMAG : 24th March 2019 at 17:42. Reason: Minor typo fixed.
Old 24th March 2019, 15:24   #2447
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Any idea why the said part us being replaced. I haven't received any call till now.
Is the clutch too hard or some mechanical issues?
Mine is Jan 2016 model.
Also if anyone from the forum got it replaced, can share some more info on this.
Please see legaleagle's update 2 posts ago - it's about a creaking noise when you press the clutch. They replace a single part in the setup and it's worth 300. I'm not going in for it since I perceive no problems with mine.

This is not to be confused with the broader master (or is it slave?) cylinder defect in Mahindra cars having the mHawk engine.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:23   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Please see legaleagle's update 2 posts ago - it's about a creaking noise when you press the clutch. They replace a single part in the setup and it's worth 300. I'm not going in for it since I perceive no problems with mine.

This is not to be confused with the broader master (or is it slave?) cylinder defect in Mahindra cars having the mHawk engine.
To clarify, I did not get the suspected sound. However, went in for the replacement. It is a shank only, not the major parts at all.

Also, the second confusion is that not all dealers are doing it across the country. At least the ones in Hyderabad are doing it, but not sure for other locations.

Hope that helps.
Old 26th March 2019, 21:34   #2449
BHPian

I am thinking of buying the TUV300 next month. Overall the car fits my requirement in terms of drivability,Suv like stance etc. The car is perfectly built for long term usage however, I am little apprehensive on the life of 3 cylinder engine. I will be keeping the car for 7-8 years which means it will easily clock 1.5-2 lakh kms based on my usage. Can any of the experts give their opinion on the life of the engine? Mahindra’s other engines easily last 3-4 lakh kms without any troubles but haven’t come across any TUV, Quanto or Nuvosport which has clocked more than a lakh kms.
Old 27th March 2019, 04:35   #2450
KMT
BHPian

I drove it last week after reading so many positive reviews. The car had run about 25 thousand KMs. The engine was very buzzy and had an ongoing vibration. When I asked the SA he said that since it had run 'so much' all these minor problems were bound to be there. He went on to say that demand for TUV has dried up since XUV 300 and Marazzo have come into the mkt.
If you must have then try the Plus version.

BTW the test Creta I drove had 1.5 lakh kms and was in perfect condition.
Old 27th March 2019, 12:32   #2451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
I am thinking of buying the TUV300 next month. Overall the car fits my requirement in terms of drivability,Suv like stance etc. The car is perfectly built for long term usage however, I am little apprehensive on the life of 3 cylinder engine. I will be keeping the car for 7-8 years which means it will easily clock 1.5-2 lakh kms based on my usage. Can any of the experts give their opinion on the life of the engine? Mahindra’s other engines easily last 3-4 lakh kms without any troubles but haven’t come across any TUV, Quanto or Nuvosport which has clocked more than a lakh kms.
I can safety say one thing - Mahindra engines can take a beating like anything - subject to being maintained properly, and as per the service schedule which is 10000 kms. You have multiple Scorpio's doing the same.

I have one right now, and plan to keep it for 10 years at least. I have already done 6K in 8 months or so, and have not faced any issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I drove it last week after reading so many positive reviews. The car had run about 25 thousand KMs. The engine was very buzzy and had an ongoing vibration. When I asked the SA he said that since it had run 'so much' all these minor problems were bound to be there. He went on to say that demand for TUV has dried up since XUV 300 and Marazzo have come into the mkt.
If you must have then try the Plus version.

BTW the test Creta I drove had 1.5 lakh kms and was in perfect condition.

Overall, there is a buzz in the engine of the TUV, but that is primarily due to the low sound insulation and the turbo spooling up. The vibrations - I can only say this - it is a Mahindra. . But it is livable, in my personal opinion.

Also, do not take the Plus version. The first row cabin space has been significantly reduced - as mentioned in the Team-Bhp review, and my personal verification.

Also, XUV300 and Marazzo are not competitors for TUV - they are different vehicles and designs all together. Both are FWD's, and as said - not overloadable and pushed to the limit(s). (My personal opinion).

If you want a vehicle which can truly take a beating and still run around normally, go for the TUV300. We have multiple owners who are using it from the initial batch - albeit with replacements, but still running normally.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 13:44   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
haven’t come across any TUV, Quanto or Nuvosport which has clocked more than a lakh kms.
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-fb_img_1553674203156.jpg
I specifically asked this guy if having run his TUV for 1.75 lakh Kms has changed anything in his experience. Everything still runs the same as before, is what he said.
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:20   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I can safety say one thing - Mahindra engines can take a beating like anything - subject to being maintained properly, and as per the service schedule which is 10000 kms.
I totally agree on this. I have owned a Xylo E4 and driven it for 2.5 Lakh kms in a span of 6 years before selling it off last year.

Quote:
Attachment 1863568
I specifically asked this guy if having run his TUV for 1.75 lakh Kms has changed anything in his experience. Everything still runs the same as before, is what he said.
Thanks a lot for giving your inputs. Further, can you throw some light on the highway performance of the TUV.
Is overtaking on highways a breeze or you need to downshift for getting the push?
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:33   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have owned a Xylo E4 and driven it for 2.5 Lakh kms in a span of 6 years before selling it off last year.... can you throw some light on the highway performance of the TUV.
Is overtaking on highways a breeze or you need to downshift for getting the push?
For you to drive a TUV 300, coming from a Xylo ownership background - I don't know how you'll find it. This is not an engine built to perform at its top-end. If you're cruising at 90 Kmph on the highway, facing the rear of a truck ambling along at 70 Kmph, let's say you drop down speed to 80 Kmph before you change lanes - you'll invariably wait for more nimble cars that revel in their top-end performance zip past you from behind you...the time the TUV takes to build up speed from 80 Kmph is a lot. Until 80 Kmph its pick up is entirely quick and different. You can give it time to pick it up from 80 Kmph and even drive at 120 Kmph if you want, but most owners here have a unanimous consensus - it is best to cruise at 90 Kmph for a relaxed driving experience.

I haven't tried downshifting at 70 Kmph to the 4th gear to be honest. I can't recall what the RPM would be in the 4th gear and 70 Kmph. Hmm.

If you have the patience, drive at 80 Kmph and 2000 RPM and you might get 18.7 Kmpl like I did on a 1500 Km roundtrip last October. I didn't use the Eco mode and the AC was turned up always.

Edit: I haven't driven most other Diesel SUVs in India. But as per the Official review posts at the start of this thread, even the 80 BHP version's performance was rated as acceptable until 100 Kmph. Please note. My opinion of the TUV's highway performance might have been different if I'd driven any other comparable SUVs.

Last edited by locusjag : 27th March 2019 at 14:44.
Old 27th March 2019, 14:54   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
For you to drive a TUV 300, coming from a Xylo ownership background - I don't know how you'll find it. This is not an engine built to perform at its top-end.

If you have the patience, drive at 80 Kmph and 2000 RPM and you might get 18.7 Kmpl like I did on a 1500 Km roundtrip last October. I didn't use the Eco mode and the AC was turned up always.
Normally I prefer driving between 80 to 100 kmph on highways. With the Xylo cruising and overtaking on highways was'nt a painful task. However, overtaking seems to be a pain taking activity with the TUV. I have asked the showroom fellow to send the TD vehicle to my residence so that I can check its performance on highways and then decide.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 14:59   #2456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Normally I prefer driving between 80 to 100 kmph on highways. With the Xylo cruising and overtaking on highways was'nt a painful task. However, overtaking seems to be a pain taking activity with the TUV. I have asked the showroom fellow to send the TD vehicle to my residence so that I can check its performance on highways and then decide.
That's probably for the best! A good TD on the highway will answer it best for you. I can't for the love of God recall how exactly I overtake on the highways. Try as I might, I don't remember if I've ever downshifted at 60 or 70 Kmph to quickly get past a lumbering lorry.

It's time for a roadtrip for me!
Old 28th March 2019, 21:53   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
That's probably for the best! A good TD on the highway will answer it best for you. I can't for the love of God recall how exactly I overtake on the highways. Try as I might, I don't remember if I've ever downshifted at 60 or 70 Kmph to quickly get past a lumbering lorry.

It's time for a roadtrip for me!
Well road trips acts a detox from the routine life. 1 last question, your TUV is the Mhawk80 or the Mhawk100 version ?
Old 28th March 2019, 22:50   #2458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well road trips acts a detox from the routine life. 1 last question, your TUV is the Mhawk80 or the Mhawk100 version ?
Mine is the mHawk 100 version. And I've been driving it within the city for 3 months straight! The routine has made me forget what it is like to slot it into the 5th gear and just cruise, or what it is like to work the gearbox in order to keep up speeds on highways. Do report back with your impressions after your test drive
Old 29th March 2019, 09:21   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't tried downshifting at 70 Kmph to the 4th gear to be honest. I can't recall what the RPM would be in the 4th gear and 70 Kmph. Hmm.
I don't think I'll hit the highway realistically, anytime soon.

So I started to office really early this morning just for you sir. On the relatively empty but still populated roads, I was able to note the RPM at 70 Kmph in the 4th gear. It hovered around 2200 RPM. The peak torque production for the TUV 300 is up until 2800 RPM. So I guess, if you dropped down to 4th gear at 70 Kmph, you can rocket out onto the fast lane to overtake a truck and resume cruising in 5th gear at 90 Kmph and 2200 RPM.

It should not be a pain to overtake on the highway provided you're in the appropriate speed. This is not the 2.2 litre engine, so obviously, it won't behave like your erstwhile Xylo would have. All the best for your Test Drive
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 19:39   #2460
BHPian

Since I could never complete my initial ownership review, I would summarize my experience with my TUV. I would probably (maybe, if I am not lazy) write a long term report now.

My TUV is now 22 months, 22,000 kms done.

What I like:
  • Road presence. No second thoughts on that.
  • Solid solid build. This can take the abuse of bad roads.
  • Spacious front and second row (not referring to TUV300+, it's second row is cramped)
  • Good all-round visibility from the driver's seat, baring the thick A-pillar.
  • Decent boot space that can carry a lot of luggage
  • Good enough headlights for night driving. Not great, but not too bad either.
  • Large fuel tank gives a great range, anywhere between 800-900 kms.
  • Decent fuel economy. I get about 13Kmpl in Bangalore traffic and about 16 on highways. I am a decently spirited driver, not rash or dangerous but yeah decently fast.
  • Loads of low-end torque. This vehicle can take off, I mean for its category and weight.
  • Driver and co-driver hand-rest. I find it perfect for my driving position.

What could be better:
  • Better ride quality. It gets bouncy at slow speeds on bad roads.
  • Runs out of steam after 100-110kmph. Takes time to touch 120kmph.
  • Very evident body roll, especially on twisties.
  • Better gear box and preferably a six-speed.
  • Rattles. It is fixable depending on the competence of your service center and their willingness to do it.
  • Seat padding could have been better.

When I bought TUV, it had niggles, like low coolant, vacuum modulator replaced, twice. However, after all the niggles were taken care off, the tank has become stable and a no-nonsense vehicle. Just fill diesel and go. That does not mean that you can completely take your eyes off on what's happening inside. It is a good practice to understand how your vehicle sounds when it is running smooth and understand that sound. A change in engine sound is the first indication that something is going to break. I have a standard operating procedure when I start it in the morning:

1. Turn on the key to switch on the console and music system. You would hear a ssssssss-hhhhhhh sound. As per the service folks, that's the fuel pump working. Crank the engine when that sound stops, takes about 10-12 secs.

2. Crank the engine and idle it for 2-3 minutes.

The day I am not able to do either 1 or 2, I do feel a difference in driving dynamics. I have been following this procedure and things have stayed in shape. In 22,000 kms, my vehicle has not troubled me or left me stranded anywhere.

Initially, I was of the opinion that maybe I should have bought a Creta and that was because the vehicle would lose steam by the time it touched 80-90. The real difference came after the second service, the engine really opened up and since then it is difficult to drive it at 90-100, it keeps on going. I have done speeds which I cannot write about here . Advice to new owners, do not stress the engine in the first 10k kms, take it easy. If you have reasonable expectations from this car, at this price point, it is a good one. Don't expect a Toyota experience.

The service costs are also not much and I say that for spare parts cost. Mahindra has increased its labor cost and the high GST doesn't help.

Last edited by ambujlal : 29th March 2019 at 19:43.
ambujlal is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks