Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 08:17   #2686
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Turbo Whine/whistle at 1200-1800RPM and hard gear shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
Today, the whining continued as earlier through the speeds and as I reached my office gate and slotted the 1st gear as the barrier opened, the gear wouldn't slot to 1st/2nd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Hello Alton, in my opinion these two are completely unrelated.
Agree with AutoIndian's assessment, I think these could be 2 separate issues. The whining, if its new and wasn't there all these days, could be a vacuum hose or turbo clamp leak or modulator issue. The gear slotting problem is most definitely a clutch issue. Other owners who have had similar issues in the past have had to replace clutch plates or clutch assembly to rectify the same.
Do keep us posted on what ASS recommends.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 19:16   #2687
BHPian

I also experienced gear slotting problem last month. The problem was because of slave and master cylinders in clutch. It was replaced, clutch plate was in good condition so it was not changed.
dieselburner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 09:57   #2688
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Hello Alton, in my opinion these two are completely unrelated. The whine you hear is a turbo whistle, in fact it the same in every TUV (even mine not being any different) & it is like music to my ears. With accelerator inputs, the turbo spins faster and hence the whine increases.

The gear not getting slotted in 1st or 2nd could be an indication of a worn out clutch plate. Are you on factory fitted clutch, on which the car has run 126K kms?
Thank you AutoIndian, yes the whistle definitely could be from the Turbo and I have observed the same in a friend's Scorpio too. The Gear slotting issue could be slave and master clutch cylinders as per the ASC. The clutch is factory fitted since 136K kms and still has some life in it. No jerking or slow pickup under load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Agree with AutoIndian's assessment, I think these could be 2 separate issues. The whining, if its new and wasn't there all these days, could be a vacuum hose or turbo clamp leak or modulator issue. The gear slotting problem is most definitely a clutch issue. Other owners who have had similar issues in the past have had to replace clutch plates or clutch assembly to rectify the same.
Do keep us posted on what ASS recommends.
Thank you procrj, yes, the whining is new and my hunch was on the vacuum hose and related piping on the Turbo or the air filter. However the ASC suggested it could also be from the Synchromesh gears which could possibly be quite expensive at around 26K plus any other bearing/shaft replacements.Awaiting the ASC's call today.
On the gear issue, they have deduced the culprit as slave and master cylinders in the clutch. The clutch plate and assembly is fine and still has some life in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
I also experienced gear slotting problem last month. The problem was because of slave and master cylinders in clutch. It was replaced, clutch plate was in good condition so it was not changed.
Thanks dieselburner, yes the ASC have found the culprits as slave and master cylinders in clutch. Am worried about the whining as they say it could also be due to synchromesh gearing.Awaiting their call today.
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 18:07   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Hello mates, please help me understand the problem with my TUV300 T8 84BHP 2015 model.
TUV300 T8, clocked 136K in the last 4 years 3 months, always serviced at Authorised dealer, AML, Jeedimetla,Suchitra circle since the first service.

After the recent 130K service and 6K of driving under the typical Hyderabad traffic and the Highway run, the vehicle while cruising along at 90KMPH on the ORR, suddenly began giving out a whining sound from the engine area which was clearly audible inside the cabin.
Was able to identify it as the Turbo whistle since heard it from a friend's Scorpio.
The Whining continued even after reducing speeds to 70-80KMPH. Stopped on the side and checked for any loose piping around the Turbo but found nothing.
As I began to start off through the 1st, 2nd,3rd gears, the whining began at even 1200-1800 RPM but as the speeds crossed 60 KMPH and 4th and 5th gears were slotted, the whining stopped but I could still hear a faint whistle until it became clearly audible at 80-90 KMPH.
The whine equates with the accelerator input and release.
i.e. as the accelerator is released to change the gear the whining slows down and when accelerator is pressed it increases alongside. At 90 KMPH, when the accelerator is slightly tapped the whining responds to the accelerator input.
Checked for any leakages under the car - None.
Checked and re-confirmed if the sound was because of Tyre rolling or the Differential but confirmed it thrice since the whining is distinct and clearly separate from both the tyre and differential hum.
Checked all fluids and Engine oil - all full and no leakages.
Spoke to the Service Engineer at AML and he suggested it as a normal Turbo whistle accentuated by a loosely fitted Vacuum hose on the Turbo or the Air filter. Happy with his response that there is no major issue, I reached home after 40 kms.
Today, the whining continued as earlier through the speeds and as I reached my office gate and slotted the 1st gear as the barrier opened, the gear wouldn't slot to 1st/2nd. Pumped up the clutch as suggested by the Security guard and parked.
Now the vehicle has been sent to AML , Jeedimetla ASC.

Request suggestions or Check points on what could have gone wrong and what needs to be asked to the Service guys.
An Update
Got the vehicle back from AML, ASC with a bill of Rs.7300/-

Observations by ASC:
Turbo connections including vacuum hose and all pipes are fine. Just tightened. Intercooler connection with Turbo and Engine is fine.
Oil lubrication is fine.They have not disassembled the Turbo.
On the gear not slotting problem, they have identified the culprit as Slave & Master cylinders and have replaced them.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20200316wa0017.jpg
Slave & master cylinders in the clutch

They had to dis-assemble the Clutch system to access the Master cylinders and have certified that the clutch is fantastic with a slight wear at 136K kms
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20200316wa0010.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20200316wa0011.jpg
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img20200316wa0013.jpg
Clutch pictures with housing and plate

My observations:
The Whine through the gears has (very) significantly reduced. Definitely not through the initial gear changes 1,2 & 3. Now the gears slot as smoothly as before.
However, at speeds of 80-100 kmph, the whine resurfaces but is not directly proportional to the accelerator input rather depends on speed. At 100 kmph, it is slightly audible inside the cabin and as the car slows down to 80 kmph, it is almost inaudible.
Have discovered that there is oil around the oil inlet nut on the gearbox.And it was never found under the car since the engine plate under the engine extends upto this point.Have acknowledged this with the ASC but they brushed it aside as normal.
Fingers crossed as I begin the daily grind of 200kms tomorrow.
Thank you procrj,AutoIndian & dieselburner for all the pointers.
Please do share if I need to watch out for anything else.
Alton is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 20:06   #2690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the whine resurfaces
Did they check the synchromesh for issues? Syncro is a common problem for Ertiga hence would be interesting to know if the same/similar part is used by M&M as well.

Quote:
oil around the oil inlet nut on the gearbox
Unable to understand where this is. Will help if you can explain more or share a pic

Quote:
Hope you have many more miles of trouble free ownership!
Old 17th March 2020, 11:07   #2691
BHPian

Quote:
Did they check the synchromesh for issues? Syncro is a common problem for Ertiga hence would be interesting to know if the same/similar part is used by M&M as well.
Synchromesh was checked and found with slight erosion on all gears.The Gear oil was replaced at 1L km service and fortunately the level has not come down as per the indicator on the gear box. The Service engineer said it was normal and advised to re-check whenever there is a grinding noise when engaging any gear. He went on to also advise me to request this check every 30k kms service just to watch out. The Total costing for replacement including synchromesh and other allied parts like shaft/rods etc including labour would be 33K! As of now it is fine.

Quote:
Unable to understand where this is. Will help if you can explain more or share a pic
Well let me take a picture and share it over the weekend. It is just below the driver seat in the centre tunnel under the car and from the ride side below the car. It wont be visible just by ducking in because the engine under protection sheet extends upto the gear box and covers this place.The car needs to be lifted up to view this.

Quote:
Hope you have many more miles of trouble free ownership!
Thank you for the wishes.
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 19:21   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
An Update
Got the vehicle back from AML, ASC with a bill of Rs.7300/-

Observations by ASC:
Turbo connections including vacuum hose and all pipes are fine. Just tightened. Intercooler connection with Turbo and Engine is fine.
Oil lubrication is fine.They have not disassembled the Turbo.
On the gear not slotting problem, they have identified the culprit as Slave & Master cylinders and have replaced them.

Attachment 1980573
Slave & master cylinders in the clutch

They had to dis-assemble the Clutch system to access the Master cylinders and have certified that the clutch is fantastic with a slight wear at 136K kms
Attachment 1980577
Attachment 1980575
Attachment 1980576
Clutch pictures with housing and plate

My observations:
The Whine through the gears has (very) significantly reduced. Definitely not through the initial gear changes 1,2 & 3. Now the gears slot as smoothly as before.
However, at speeds of 80-100 kmph, the whine resurfaces but is not directly proportional to the accelerator input rather depends on speed. At 100 kmph, it is slightly audible inside the cabin and as the car slows down to 80 kmph, it is almost inaudible.
Have discovered that there is oil around the oil inlet nut on the gearbox.And it was never found under the car since the engine plate under the engine extends upto this point.Have acknowledged this with the ASC but they brushed it aside as normal.
Thank you procrj,AutoIndian & dieselburner for all the pointers.
Please do share if I need to watch out for anything else.
Did you notice any difference after cylinders change in clutch assembly.
I have seen mine clutch pedal becoming quite soft after changing both cylinders.
Old 18th March 2020, 12:24   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner View Post
Did you notice any difference after cylinders change in clutch assembly.
I have seen mine clutch pedal becoming quite soft after changing both cylinders.
Well after 220 kms since the replacement, the clutch pedal feel is a bit smooth.The car surges forward when the clutch is released in a hurry. The whine is now faintly audible through the gears 1,2,3 but vanishes in 4 & 5. I slot 4th above 40kmph and 5th just immediately after 60kmph.
From 40kmph to 80kmph, there is no whine but begins when speeds touch 90-100kmph and dies down below 80kmph.
Alton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 18:14   #2694
BHPian

My Tank is about to hit 3 years mark this May'20 and churned 55k KMs. It's time for changing tires, shortlisted below. Please suggest

I got a quotation of 7,100/- for Michelin and 6,500/- for Bridgestone. Any suggestions? I am inclining more towards Michelin as I heard very good reviews from my father who used Michelin for 1st generation Verna and Renault Scala.
Old 31st March 2020, 19:50   #2695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I have been on the Dueler for last 20k kms and have absolutely no complaints. Works well in both wet as well as dry conditions and can tackle bad as well as no roads with aplomb. Been running them at 33 psi and road noise is lesser than that of the stock apollo. While changing, I did consider the Michellin but decided to go with the Bridgestone based on feedback from other xylo and scorpio users.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 22:54   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a quotation of 7,100/- for Michelin and 6,500/- for Bridgestone. Any suggestions? I am inclining more towards Michelin as I heard very good reviews from my father who used Michelin for 1st generation Verna and Renault Scala.
Michelins are know to have soft tyre compounds. So these would give very good grip on long highway runs. However would be prone to more sidewall damage on bad roads or no roads. TUV is a tough, go anywhere car and you are tempted to take bad roads without caring much for the tyres. This would pose a greater risk for Michelins.

Bridgestones or Apollos would be a good fit if your running is of mixed type. Don't you think 3 years is a bit shorter interval to change the tyres if you have good tread on them. My car has run 50K kms and will be completing 5 years this November. So I am still on factory fitted tyres. I know the tyres must have hardened by now, however tread depth is still good. I am planning to stretch the tyres for 10K more kms or at least till the time car completes 5 years.

95% of my running in within city (home-office-home). Highway runs are very rare, just to set the context.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2020, 23:08   #2697
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think 3 years is a bit shorter interval to change the tyres if you have good tread on them.
Did 55k on my Tank. Not much tread left on them, they may run for another 4-5k kms and I started noticing a little bit of delay in stopping while brakes are applied at high speed.

Dont want to take any chances as I travel with my 4 years old son on highway once every month. Just being safe than sorry

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st March 2020 at 23:41. Reason: Brake not break. :)
Old 1st April 2020, 18:53   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
... The whine is now faintly audible through the gears 1,2,3 but vanishes in 4 & 5. I slot 4th above 40kmph and 5th just immediately after 60kmph.
From 40kmph to 80kmph, there is no whine but begins when speeds touch 90-100kmph and dies down below 80kmph.

Hi Alton,

Please check if the below pointer is of use to you. I had a similar high frequency sound emanating from the engine bay. The ASC was clueless initially and finally was narrowed down to a faulty power steering pump.

Related post is post # 2465 (Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review) in this thread.

Cheers!
sathyasuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 11:55   #2699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did 55k on my Tank. Not much tread left on them, they may run for another 4-5k kms and I started noticing a little bit of delay in stopping while brakes are applied at high speed.

Dont want to take any chances as I travel with my 4 years old son on highway once every month. Just being safe than sorry
I can understand your concern and that if you have frequent highway trips then its better to get the tyres changed. At highway speeds the stopping distance could be a key factor.

For me the highways trips have become almost extinct, so can continue on the original tyres. But the moment I start hitting the highways frequently, I would not hesitate to change the shoes.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 13:56   #2700
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine mentions that his TUV stalls when he tries to start the vehicle after a drive. This issue is noticed when the vehicle is started after for the first time the day, so it should not be issue with battery.

However, when starting the vehicle when engine is hot, the vehicle vibrates and stalls.

Has anyone faced this issue in their TUV?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks