Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2017, 13:40   #1936
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

I have two queries:

It seems to me that the range of my keyfob is very less. In fact its about 6-7 meters (measured). Both keys have almost same range. I have tried with new batteries and still the same. Is this normal?

My car makes no noise (alarm ping sort) when locking/unlocking the doors with keyfob. I recently noticed a rather brand new (temp number) T8 at a hotel parking in Chennai, making soft sweet pings when locking/unlocking.

Regards-Sonu
Old 18th December 2017, 15:05   #1937
BHPian

Manual Gearbox woes in my TUV300 T8 Manual!

My TUV300 is Dec 2015 manufactured and done 61K kms till date.All services carried out as per the distance / time intervals in the service schedule.The Warranty is valid till 2020.

The most recent service was done at 58K kms (60k schedule) at Automotive Mfg.Ltd (AML), Hyderabad.
Last night, in heavy traffic crawling at 10-20 kph in 1st gear for 1 km, the gear refused to slot in 1 as I tried to move from standstill. Tried multiple times by double checking that clutch is fully depressed but no effect.The gear would not slot at all from the neutral slot.

Suspected Clutch failure or failure of either the master or slave cylinders.
Embarrassingly stayed put on the road with flashers and waving the traffic behind to divert

Mahindra team was contacted and explained the situation in detail. They connected me to a Technician (supposedly) and he suggested to re-try again to check if vehicle can be mobile or not.With a hard shove the gear slotted in 1st and slowly moved the vehicle to the left lane.Towing was arranged in around 90 mins and vehicle delivered to AML again.

The Service Engineer confirmed the gear problem but said the clutch is absolutely fine.And surprisingly with gear in slot and clutch depressed completely, when the brake pedal is released,the vehicle has forward movement at 5kmph!

Awaiting AML's decision about replacement of parts or components under Warranty.
Will keep us posted on the developments.
What could have gone wrong so suddenly without any prior indication?
Could members guide on what to look out for?
Alton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:56   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post

My TUV300 is Dec 2015 manufactured and done 61K kms till date.All services carried out as per the distance / time intervals in the service schedule.The Warranty is valid till 2020.

The most recent service was done at 58K kms (60k schedule) at Automotive Mfg.Ltd (AML), Hyderabad.
Last night, in heavy traffic crawling at 10-20 kph in 1st gear for 1 km, the gear refused to slot in 1 as I tried to move from standstill. Tried multiple times by double checking that clutch is fully depressed but no effect.The gear would not slot at all from the neutral slot.

Suspected Clutch failure or failure of either the master or slave cylinders.
Embarrassingly stayed put on the road with flashers and waving the traffic behind to divert

Mahindra team was contacted and explained the situation in detail. They connected me to a Technician (supposedly) and he suggested to re-try again to check if vehicle can be mobile or not.With a hard shove the gear slotted in 1st and slowly moved the vehicle to the left lane.Towing was arranged in around 90 mins and vehicle delivered to AML again.

The Service Engineer confirmed the gear problem but said the clutch is absolutely fine.And surprisingly with gear in slot and clutch depressed completely, when the brake pedal is released,the vehicle has forward movement at 5kmph!

Awaiting AML's decision about replacement of parts or components under Warranty.
Will keep us posted on the developments.
What could have gone wrong so suddenly without any prior indication?
Could members guide on what to look out for?
An update.
The vehicle was returned fine after 3 days and a clutch master cylinder replaced under Warranty. Now it drives smooth as before. Luckily, AML engineer confirmed that the clutch is not damaged.
Earlier clutch play was just 5% for movement,which made the vehicle surge forward with a slight release of clutch. Now the AML engineer has increased play to almost 15%, so that for movement, the release of clutch pedal has to be a bit more.Taking time to adjust to new clutch play.

Fellow TUV owners, please watch out for failure of Clutch Master or Slave cylinders or hard gearshifts which may be a precursor to this.

Thank You
Alton is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 20:15   #1939
BHPian

We went to test drive the TUV 300 today. The fit and finish were okay by Mahindra standards, but the drive was appalling. The car is loud inside. I measured about 50db of noise at idle, while the Compass (which we drove before going to Mahindra) is about 25db. Just for a reference, the noise in a silent office is about 18 db.

The car was an AMT version and it was jerking badly. We switched to the manual mode because the AMT was so bad. The normal mode was okay, but the cabin noise, significant body roll and not so confidence inspiring steering feel made it feel like a compromise. I respected Mahindra a lot after they launched the XUV, but I felt sad to see the company charge 11 Lakhs for a product that was unsafe- the jerks were dangerous in stop and go traffic and the lady who accompanied us for the drive felt that it was normal for a car with an AMT to jerk so badly. Maybe this was a bad example, but it was a bitter experience.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 21st December 2017 at 20:27.
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:06   #1940
BHPian

If opting for TUV, go for manual one instead of AMT. There are better automatics in this price range than TUV.
Manual now is refined and all initial teething problems are sorted out.
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:12   #1941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
An update.
The vehicle was returned fine after 3 days and a clutch master cylinder replaced under Warranty.
This is Mahindra's core competency (will not say Achille's heel), and was quite common in the previous gen mHawk Scorpios too. Don't know how the new ones are faring.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reak-down.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd December 2017, 23:59   #1942
BHPian

New kid on the block
Presenting you my 'Hulk' :
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-dsc0795604.jpeg  

deetee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 20:27   #1943
BHPian

Dear TUV owners,
I am wondering if there is a way to disable/turn-off micro-hybrid (ESS) permanently. I am able to turn off the ESS for each drive cycle but the moment I insert the ignition key and turn on (a new drive cycle), ESS is automatically lit and active. Unless I remember to turn it off manually, it stops the car after 2 secs of idle.
Old 24th December 2017, 23:31   #1944
Senior - BHPian

Some of you may have seen this already, but my initial ownership review of my black T6+ MT is here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-replaced.html
Old 25th December 2017, 07:30   #1945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Dear TUV owners,
I am wondering if there is a way to disable/turn-off micro-hybrid (ESS) permanently. I am able to turn off the ESS for each drive cycle but the moment I insert the ignition key and turn on (a new drive cycle), ESS is automatically lit and active. Unless I remember to turn it off manually, it stops the car after 2 secs of idle.
I own a T8 December 2015 model. ESS switch input to disable ESS is permanent for me until I press the switch again to reactivate. Not sure if there is new ECU software, mine was last updated in July 2017.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 11:16   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
I own a T8 December 2015 model. ESS switch input to disable ESS is permanent for me until I press the switch again to reactivate. Not sure if there is new ECU software, mine was last updated in July 2017.
Will check with the service center when I go there. Meanwhile, can any of the recent 'Tank' owners please confirm about the behavior of ESS switch in their rides.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:16   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
New kid on the block
Presenting you my 'Hulk' :
Congrats deetee, Hulk looks dashing. What is the price breakdown? What accessories did you get fitted? Any plan to get upgraded to Touchscreen infotainment system?
Old 25th December 2017, 23:33   #1948
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, Deetee.

The fuel efficiency for my first three tankfuls over 1800 km on T6+ MT is 14.7, 14.3 and 15.1 kmpl. AC has been on in Eco AC for about 200 km. Traffic has been a mix of very bad and very good, normal conditions. RPM is restricted to below 2000. 95% time it has been two people and not more than 15 kg of material in the car.

TUV people, does this sound good?
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 09:20   #1949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Congratulations, Deetee.

The fuel efficiency for my first three tankfuls over 1800 km on T6+ MT is 14.7, 14.3 and 15.1 kmpl. AC has been on in Eco AC for about 200 km. Traffic has been a mix of very bad and very good, normal conditions. RPM is restricted to below 2000. 95% time it has been two people and not more than 15 kg of material in the car.

TUV people, does this sound good?
That's some amazing FE for a new car. You are pampering your ride too much I have done a short trip where I took the car to 90kph (-+ 10kph) in 5th gear on express way. I believe modern cars don't need a traditional run-in, the manual too doesn't mention anything. On the contrary I felt all the gear ratios need to be used in proper proportions for the machines surfaces to set in. I think a mix of city and occasional highway runs will let the internals prepare for life.

Last edited by deetee : 26th December 2017 at 09:37.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:18   #1950
BHPian

Mahindra is seeding TUV 300 Plus before launching in 2018.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/mahindra-...18-1792043/amp

I think they want to test the market response and also at the same time take customers feedback and fix the initial niggles. Once again using customers as guinea pigs?

Most Viewed