Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2017, 21:56   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Pious, why is Tata Nexon not considered? I find it superior to Ecosport in almost every way. If I were you, I would be tossing up between Nexon and TUV. If your driving involves mostly on highways, Nexon it should be, for the additional power, lightweight body, faster pick-up and lesser body roll.

If, it's mostly in the inner city, TUV would be ideal. High-seating, Second floor driving, bird's eye-view of traffic around you (often milimetres close to you on our crowded roads), flat bonnet with visible ends AND compact size. Trust me, nothing is more intoxicating than standing tall and sitting head and shoulders above other cars parked next to you at traffic lights ( I just LLLLLove it). You look down on them and they all look up to you. And since, might is right on our roads, size matters. Although a compact SUV, only TUV gives you same seating height as the real big bad boys, Safari, Scorpio, Fortuner, Endeavour. These 4 SUVs look very intimidating in the rear view mirror of regular cars, so much so that, most just let you overtake when they see you tailing. And unlike the afore-mentioned 4 SUVs, TUV has smaller noon-shadow. But TUV doesn't appear any less intimidating and butch. In fact, it's bonnet line is even higher than Safari/Scorpio. If M&M had thrown in a proper 4-cyl. engine and bigger wheels, it would have found way more takers than it has.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 06:37   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Pious, why is Tata Nexon not considered? I find it superior to Ecosport in almost every way.
Thanks pgsagar for the hints. Let me cross check with a friend of mine who recently owns one.

Quote:
If, it's mostly in the inner city, TUV would be ideal. High-seating, Second floor driving, bird's eye-view of traffic around you (often milimetres close to you on our crowded roads), flat bonnet with visible ends AND compact size. Trust me, nothing is more intoxicating than standing tall and sitting head and shoulders above other cars parked next to you at traffic lights .
Exactly the same reason . I drive 50km every day in the Bangalore traffic, and at least twice a month highway drive. Figo with its low hang characteristics is a fun to drive car but in B2B traffic, it is really pain in the neck, as its difficult to see beyond the front car with least awareness around.
Old 31st December 2017, 10:11   #1968
Senior - BHPian

I think the TUV is a good car. It may look a little odd from some angles but overall it's seems to be a fairly good vehicle. Only if they could just re-design the boxy shape and give it a more contemporary look it might do even better in sales. I have seen the TUV perform on the highway and most of them were driven fast and seem to have good pick up as well. Maybe they were driven pedal to the metal style as I found it difficult to catch up with one when it went by :-)
Old 31st December 2017, 14:40   #1969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pious, why is Tata Nexon not considered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Thanks pgsagar for the hints. Let me cross check with a friend of mine who recently owns one.
If the space in Nexon feels good, then between the TUV & Nexon, I would choose the Nexon. The diesel engine is a hoot to drive and it rides pretty well but you will not be sitting a lot higher vis a vis Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Maybe they were driven pedal to the metal style as I found it difficult to catch up with one when it went by
Doesn't need to be pedal to the metal. I find it very easy to get in front of big cars like the fortuner/scorpio etc. when starting off the blocks from a toll booth or after a speed breaker. All thanks to that early burst of torque that makes the TUV move quickly at first. Having said that, Once I hit 110/120 kmph on the highway, it takes its own sweet time for the needle to move up unless you have a RD box under the hood. I have driven a TUV with a RD box and boy can it pull!

Last edited by procrj : 31st December 2017 at 14:52.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 21:41   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
But most of them felt like glorified hatchbacks with bells and whistles.

For a person who's driven a hatch back like ford, it might take a bit of time to get adjusted to the running of the TUV, there is a shudder when the engine starts and stops.
The gear shaft vibrates all throughout while the engine is one.
Some of the finishing of the TUV (the cubby holes are designed without much thought), the car can whine and sound like a Tempo Traveller on a cold morning until it warms up.
Quote:
High-seating,
Second floor driving,
bird's eye-view of traffic around you (often millimeters close to you on our crowded roads),
flat bonnet with visible ends AND compact size.

Trust me, nothing is more intoxicating than standing tall and sitting head and shoulders above other cars parked next to you at traffic lights ( I just LLLLLove it).
You look down on them and they all look up to you. And since, might is right on our roads, size matters.

Although a compact SUV, only TUV gives you same seating height as the real big bad boys, Safari, Scorpio, Fortuner, Endeavour.
These 4 SUVs look very intimidating in the rear view mirror of regular cars, so much so that, most just let you overtake when they see you tailing.
And unlike the afore-mentioned 4 SUVs, TUV has smaller noon-shadow.

But TUV doesn't appear any less intimidating and butch. In fact, it's bonnet line is even higher than Safari/Scorpio.
Word to word I second those opinions. TUV looks like a beast but is very easy and relaxing to ride in city traffic due to the reasons mentioned by pgsagar.
I too have upgraded from a hatchback, it took just couple of hours to get to used and it has been addictive since then. Boy!! that delicious low end torque and the massive road presence! Even bus drivers acknowledge and give this its space on the road.

There is no escaping the dominating front stance- in the current generation of vehicles, this is one mean looking machine. But the driving experience goes beyond the looks.
Suspension is not car like, given the construction of the vehicle itself. That apart, the engine is superb if one is not gunning for 3 digits. Fit and finish is far ahead of even Scorpio, much comparable to XUV.
The driving position and supremely tractable engine makes city driving so much enjoyable.
deetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:14   #1971
BANNED

Quote:
...TUV gives you same seating height as the real big bad boys, Safari, Scorpio, Fortuner, Endeavour. These 4 SUVs look very intimidating in the rear view mirror of regular cars, so much so that, most just let you overtake when they see you tailing.
People give way for these cars not because these cars are intimidating, but because of the majority of the kind of people who drive it - considering their nature, background, and possible future consequences if hard-driven ahead of them.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 16:12   #1972
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to go for the first service this weekend.

Besides some minor rattles and squeaks, I am getting 'thud' noises from the gearbox console area when going over a speed breaker when engine is cold. I cannot figure why it comes only when cold. Could it be cold metal of the propeller shaft or U-joint which becomes okay when warmed up? Or is it a gearbox component?

On a positive note, fuel efficiency touched 15.55 km/l. There has been a steady increase of 0.5 km/l over every cycle but I think it has probably peaked as I am taking the revvs to 2500 RPM now.
Old 5th January 2018, 23:42   #1973
BHPian

TUV300 prices has been increased by Rs. 8384 across all variants. Attaching the screenshot from the official website below.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-tuv3oo_-jan-2018.jpg
knightrider_7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 12:41   #1974
BHPian

Recently been on a trip from Hyderabad to shiridi, around 3,050 kms done in my tank. The tank was so reliable and did not stutter or break a sweat. 6 adults, 1 kid and around 10 bags.

The only issue was, I got my tank fitted with luggage carrier on the top, Mtek brand Avenger carrier. Costed me aroind 6,200 but they did not fix it right. It ended up scratching my top of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-_img_000000_000000_1515308697639.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-_img_000000_000000_1515308575361_1515308581713.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-img_20180107_123324983.jpg  

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-_img_000000_000000_1515308710981_1515308965778.jpg  

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 13:00   #1975
BHPian

Quote:
they did not fix it right. It ended up scratching my top of the tank.
I searched around minister road shops and was not happy with their attitude or attention to details. I finally ordered Mahindra roof top carrier from m2all website. It has been nearly two weeks and yet there is no sign of delivery.
Even after raising 3 support tickets, they keep telling that they are trying to source the product
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 13:43   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All, I wanted to know about how suitable the TUV is as a vehicle for parking in tight situations. In my rented apartment in Chennai, I find it slightly tight to turn and park my borrowed 2007 Swift Vxi (turning radius of 4.8 m approx.). I know that the TUV has a turning radius of 5.35 m on paper, but the Tbhp official review of the TUV did say that it does well in tight turnings.
Old 8th January 2018, 14:33   #1977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I find it slightly tight to turn and park my borrowed 2007 Swift Vxi (turning radius of 4.8 m approx.)
Best bet would be to take the demo car and try parking it. Apart from the radius you are not factoring in the width (TUV 20 cm wider than swift), which again might be an issue.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 11:37   #1978
BHPian

Has anyone tried liquid ceramic coating on their Tank? If yes can you share your views on it? I found one on aliexpress with good reviews. Its costing double the price in India.

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3281...e=600#autostay
Old 10th January 2018, 11:50   #1979
BHPian

Just a quick question. How many keys does one get with a new TUV300?

I was given two keys ( I expected set of 3 ) - one with 3 button remote locking and another is just a normal key, both supposed to be with immobiliser chips. There used to be a time when new cars came with 3 keys, talk about cost cutting
Old 10th January 2018, 12:09   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
I was given two keys ( I expected set of 3 ) - one with 3 button remote locking and another is just a normal key, both supposed to be with immobiliser chip
When I went for my PDI at the yard, I only saw 2 keys. I asked how do I get extra and the sales guy told me I can order additional if needed.

Most Viewed