Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2018, 15:51   #2401
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
TUV300 Facelift spied again...

Attachment 1827705
Thanks, nice, the parking lamp and turn indicators have exchanged places. Looks like the parking lamp will also double as the DRLs.

Last edited by sathyasuri : 16th December 2018 at 15:53.
Old 17th December 2018, 16:10   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The 84 bhp tuned TUV engine produces its peak torque of 230 Nm from 1500 rpm to 2250 rpm, whereas the 100 bhp version produces 240 Nm from 1600 to 2800 rpm. You will observe the car pulls well when you drive between these rpms. When you shift the gear @ 2000 rpm, there is a drop in rpm and may fall outside the peak torque zone. This is when the car struggles and you are in a hurry. press the "A" pedal, but don't get the necessary response from the car.

Agree on this. As the owner of a T10 100 Bhp, have noticed that any gear shift between 1700 rpm to 2300 rpm provides the best response, thus requiring less gearshifts - personally - in stop and go traffic.
Old 21st December 2018, 18:18   #2403
Distinguished - BHPian

I've again done a 600 Km round trip with 7 adults, Chennai-Hosur-Chennai. This time around, it was with a rooftop luggage rack and luggage mounted on it. I kept driving it in the prime RPM range, between 2000 - 3000 RPM. I've gotten only 15 Kmpl (as compared to 18.5 Kmpl that I've gotten with 3 adults on board by mostly driving at not more than 2000 RPM).

Most importantly, my Tank is able to pull without that humming noise and it is able to go beyond 3 figures in speed comfortably.

Truth be told, it is not comfortable for these many people to be seated in it for such long distances. But then again, in nearly one year of ownership so far, I've only had a full load on-board on the highway in a couple of instances.
Old 21st December 2018, 19:52   #2404
BHPian

I went over a speed hump at about 40kmph last night. It caused the AMT warning light to come on. This morning the light was still on. I then drove to the service center around 10 km away, and things worsened. It became noisy, loss of power and the tractor sound almost all the way, jerkiness as well. As I neared the service center the noise disappeared and when I drove in, the warning light was still on but no noise. When I turned the key again about 20 minutes later the warning light went away. Had them check by connecting the laptop and they couldn't find any errors. They just cleaned the sensor and sent me back. On the noise they couldn't simulate, the vacuum modulator is already the larger one and so he said he had no clue why it happened. Waste of time and my work day. This uncertainty with the vehicle is something I have to live with I guess.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2018, 11:22   #2405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I went over a speed hump at about 40kmph last night. It caused the AMT warning light to come on. This morning the light was still on. I then drove to the service center around 10 km away, and things worsened. It became noisy, loss of power and the tractor sound almost all the way, jerkiness as well. As I neared the service center the noise disappeared and when I drove in, the warning light was still on but no noise. When I turned the key again about 20 minutes later the warning light went away. Had them check by connecting the laptop and they couldn't find any errors.
I remember going over several small unmarked speed bumps in a WagonR 10 years ago. The car literally jumped out of gear and was somewhere between gears for some time. It took a few seconds with the clutch down and some intense soul and gear searching before it would slot into a gear again. That's the incident that came to mind with what you've experienced.
Old 24th December 2018, 13:31   #2406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I remember going over several small unmarked speed bumps in a WagonR 10 years ago. The car literally jumped out of gear and was somewhere between gears for some time. It took a few seconds with the clutch down and some intense soul and gear searching before it would slot into a gear again. That's the incident that came to mind with what you've experienced.
Blame this (what you faced in WagonR)on link rod based shift mechanism that was underneath your car and not within and sensitive to such bumps. The most prominent location where it always happened with me was while descending over the Mahadevapura flyover on ORR while passing on the undulated joints of this structure.

With cable based shift mechanism these days it doesn't happen.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 07:12   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
TUV300 Facelift spied again (source)
Many thanks for sharing this! I had finalized to buy one this year, based on splendid reviews on this thread & other ownership reviews on Team BHP - the choice was between T8 & T10, but considering the crackdown (read restrictions) on diesel cars in Delhi NCR, I have begun exploring petrol options as well. I hope the facelift brings in a petrol version, though only existing owners will be able to confirm if petrol engine will be suitable from capacity & driving perspective.
CarStruck is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 12:34   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarStruck View Post
Many thanks for sharing this! I had finalized to buy one this year, based on splendid reviews on this thread & other ownership reviews on Team BHP - the choice was between T8 & T10, ... I hope the facelift brings in a petrol version, though only existing owners will be able to confirm if petrol engine will be suitable from capacity & driving perspective.
As one who owns a T10, the diesel engine is best suited for the TUV300. Primarily due to its weight and size, I personally think that a petrol engine would be highly under powered. There are members who are not very happy with the 84 bhp engine in itself - however, the 100 bhp engine, now standard across the range, provides adequate power for the vehicle, from a torque and driveability standpoint.

Also, per my understanding, the 2019 facelift would have a BS VI compliant diesel engine - which would be costlier by around INR 1 - 1.5 lakhs, as compared to the current costing.

In my personal view, worrying about the future of diesels is something which should not be considered while buying a vehicle. I understand that you are from Gurugram, thus worried about the NGT 10 year lifeline. However, normally, you would tend to change your vehicle within the 10 year time period. I considered the same while buying my current vehicle, but realized that rules can be changed at an instant - meaning there is no guarantee that rules for petrol vehicles will not change tomorrow.

Personally, buy a vehicle based on your current and near future (4 -5 year) requirements. Do not worry about something that may happen after 10 years - which cannot be guaranteed or controlled in any way.
LegalEagle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 19:57   #2409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for sharing this! I had finalized to buy one this year, based on splendid reviews on this thread & other ownership reviews on Team BHP - the choice was between T8 & T10, but considering the crackdown (read restrictions) on diesel cars in Delhi NCR, I have begun exploring petrol options as well. I hope the facelift brings in a petrol version, though only existing owners will be able to confirm if petrol engine will be suitable from capacity & driving perspective.
The TUV 300 would be a horrible petrol powered SUV. "Many baby seals will die" as Jeremy Clarkson would put it, since for its weight it will drink lots of petrol and also emit a lot at high RPMs in order to pull itself sufficiently. I have asked the Mahindra folks a lot of questions (the Mahindra customer care folks, the showroom folks, the service center folks...) - I can tell you fairly confidently that Mahindra is not making a petrol version for the TUV 300.

The BS VI norm requires diesel cars to emit only as much as a petrol car would; currently BS IV diesel cars are allowed to emit in some cases as much as 40 BS IV petrol cars, as I have read somewhere. This means that the Green folks and authorities must be happy with BS VI diesel vehicles in the future. Any sensible person should not be unduly bothered about a BS VI diesel car in the future, any more than they would be bothered about a BS VI petrol car.

But - who knows if a paan-chewing babu takes a hare-brained decision - "all diesel cars will be banned from tonight. The municipality will go around popping dynamite sticks into any diesel vehicles found plying on the roads..". You just never know. This paan-stained hare brained example is just a worst case scenario with maybe a 10% probability but very bad severity if this probability comes true.

It's your call. I loved the TUV 300 so much that back in February this year, I was helplessly drawn to the showroom and my fingers signed on the dotted line by themselves despite all these concerns that I have myself had. I know I was right in never falling for a girl, seeing how helpless I become when in love! The only cars I ever test drove were used pre-2010 WagonR models, a new Jazz and a TUV 300. I chose the TUV 300 after convincing myself that the other alternatives wouldn't satisfy me.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-20181216_102905.jpg

Last edited by locusjag : 28th December 2018 at 20:06.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2018, 18:55   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Personally, buy a vehicle based on your current and near future (4 -5 year) requirements. Do not worry about something that may happen after 10 years - which cannot be guaranteed or controlled in any way.
Thanks for sharing your experience & views. This will help me make a decision based on what my 'heart' says! Since you own a T10, I had a query - since I did not find much thoughts around it, can you let me know if it would be worth buying it or the lower T8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
The TUV 300 would be a horrible petrol powered SUV. This paan-stained hare brained example is just a worst case scenario with maybe a 10% probability but very bad severity if this probability comes true.

It's your call. I loved the TUV 300 so much that back in February this year, I was helplessly drawn to the showroom and my fingers signed on the dotted line by themselves despite all these concerns that I have myself had. I know I was right in never falling for a girl, seeing how helpless I become when in love! Attachment 1831859
Loved your expressions here! Petrol TUV will be a disaster, that's quite clear now. Your silver TUV is what my 'heart' says - the photo (many thanks for thinking of me & uploading it ) kind of reinforced it - and you will probably help me nail it. I keep looking at every TUV that passes my way, especially the silver ones, and long to drive one.
Old 31st December 2018, 13:10   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience & views. This will help me make a decision based on what my 'heart' says! Since you own a T10, I had a query - since I did not find much thoughts around it, can you let me know if it would be worth buying it or the lower T8?

Personal Take - go for the T10. You get a touchscreen compatible with reverse parking camera, inbuilt maps (albeit pretty old, but good as a backup), factory fitted leather seats - pretty good, black alloys - multiple users tried it, but have no found a solution to turn the factory silver alloys into black, and the most important thing - dual tone color options i.e. RedNBlack and SilverNBlack.

Also, as someone who owns a RedNBlack T10, I can confirm one thing - heads do turn, as the color is different and pretty good.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2019, 14:08   #2412
Distinguished - BHPian

I've done 1800 Highway Kilometres in December 2018 alone with a full load - 7 adults plus lots of rooftop luggage.

I've been getting 15 Kmpl consistently on these fully loaded runs and have learnt to work the gearbox in order to derive maximum torque and power. Doing 100 Kmph consistently even with a full load is easy for me now.

I doubt I'll have full capacity utilization for 10 months of a typical year though. It's only when school vacations occur that we use my Tank to the fullest extent. My extended family is fuss-free in that regard. They don't mind sitting in the 3rd row for 300 Km at a stretch for a handful number of times in a year. We're all mindful that 95% of the time, we only have 1 - 3 people in the car.

While I do feel conflicted about packing family into the 3rd row, I do keep in mind the fact that the Tank serves me as a frugal and relatively fuel-efficient vehicle most of the time. And more significantly, we have fun together. No one's complaining. No one wants me to lose money by upgrading to a full-time MUV.

Why not just drive around in 2 cars? We unanimously do not favor doing that since the "togetherness" element would be lost. Right now, we have some very good memories from our trips in the Tank.

Thus ends my sombre reflection at the end of a fully loaded roadtrip season. It's back to solo office commutes.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 11:38   #2413
Senior - BHPian

Andhra Pradesh Police add 242 TUV300s to their fleet

The Andhra Pradesh Police have inducted 242 Mahindra TUV300 SUVs to their patrolling fleet. Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu flagged off the new vehicles from IGM Stadium in Vijayawada.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image-1.jpg

In addition to the Andhra Pradesh Police, TUV300s are also used by police departments in Mumbai, Rajasthan, Kerala and Arunachal Pradesh.

Mahindra TUV300 : Official Review-image-3-.jpg

The TUV300 is a sub-4 meter SUV with 7 seats. It is available in six variants and is powered by a 1.5-litre, turbocharged diesel engine that produces 100 BHP @ 3,750 rpm and 240 Nm of torque @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed AMT.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2019, 16:25   #2414
BHPian

TUV's are already in service in Kerala, as I could see the older Tavera's which used to patrol around my regular office route in Cochin are all now TUV's
Old 6th January 2019, 19:56   #2415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
Personal Take - go for the T10. You get a touchscreen compatible with reverse parking camera, inbuilt maps (albeit pretty old, but good as a backup), factory fitted leather seats - pretty good, black alloys - multiple users tried it, but have no found a solution to turn the factory silver alloys into black, and the most important thing - dual tone color options i.e. RedNBlack and SilverNBlack.

Also, as someone who owns a RedNBlack T10, I can confirm one thing - heads do turn, as the color is different and pretty good.
As a fellow T10 owner, I can confirm that heads do turn.
shreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks