Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2018, 12:54   #2716
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Thicker metal in the skin of the car by itself does not help much with safety, otherwise a 30 year old Mahindra jeep or an Ambassador would be safer than modern cars.
I partly agrees with what you say. I agree that thick or thin sheet metal has more or less nothing to do with the well engineered car which can absorb impacts gleefully say Toyota. But thin sheet metal put added pressure on the owners(financially and mentally) in case of even lighter impacts, bumpers deform like they are made of paper and even the metal body is highly susceptible to dents.
There are many people who wants to keep their car in a Top notch condition but with a build quality like that and the way people drive in India, it's a far fetched dream.
In other words it take away the confidence of owners while they are out on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Quite right.
Witness the fact that the Mahindra Scorpio, which seems built like a tank, scored *zero* in the Euro NCAP crash test!
On the other hand we have manufacturers like Skoda and VW which comes up with solid build quality and good NCAP ratings which further strengthen my belief how well engineered their cars are. Japanese are no doubt on the paramount of reliability but I think Maruti plays with a customer's belief when it comes to equipping cars with better build quality materials in sync with what they provide in European countries.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 13:32   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I partly agrees with what you say. I agree that thick or thin sheet metal has more or less nothing to do with the well engineered car which can absorb impacts gleefully say Toyota. But thin sheet metal put added pressure on the owners(financially and mentally) in case of even lighter impacts, bumpers deform like they are made of paper and even the metal body is highly susceptible to dents.
There are many people who wants to keep their car in a Top notch condition but with a build quality like that and the way people drive in India, it's a far fetched dream.
In other words it take away the confidence of owners while they are out on the road.

On the other hand we have manufacturers like Skoda and VW which comes up with solid build quality and good NCAP ratings which further strengthen my belief how well engineered their cars are. Japanese are no doubt on the paramount of reliability but I think Maruti plays with a customer's belief when it comes to equipping cars with better build quality materials in sync with what they provide in European countries.

If you want to drive on the roads in India and never get a dent or scratch, you probably need some more advanced tech than thicker sheet metal, like force fields from science fiction movies. Also you need to repaint whole panels even if you get a tiny scratch so it doesn't make much difference whether you have thick or thin sheet metal, it all costs the same to repair. In any case this has nothing to do with safety, which was the original point.

The more flexible bumpers are partly due to pedestrian safety norms, and also to make them more effective in absorbing shock, and they do their job, which is a good thing.

Last edited by chncar : 16th April 2018 at 13:35.
Old 16th April 2018, 13:52   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
If you want to drive on the roads in India and never get a dent or scratch, you probably need some more advanced tech than thicker sheet metal, like force fields from science fiction movies. Also you need to repaint whole panels even if you get a tiny scratch so it doesn't make much difference whether you have thick or thin sheet metal, it all costs the same to repair. In any case this has nothing to do with safety, which was the original point.
sir. But, the problem with Baleno's thin sheet metal is that, the doors are more prone to dimples due to stone flying from the tyres, or due to bad bikers who zig-zag their way thru's traffic. My experience is purely based on my daily drive to KK Nagar via Ramapuram main road.

Also, as you mentioned in your previous post about Ritz's rattling problem. Yes, I'm with you on this.

But, What I was trying to convey is, I really don't get stressed when driving my Ritz via Ramapuram as I know that the doors are really strong.

Ok. Enough of my rant about Baleno's build quality. Let me focus on getting my planned cosmetic mods accomplished
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 12:14   #2719
BHPian

My car's third service is due next month. Though there is still time I would want some insights from fellow owners/experts.

Have run 8200 on my Zeta petrol. I am planning to switch over to fully synthetic engine oil. What is estimate pricing ? is it fine if we use fully synthetic oil right from the first oil change interval ?

Also, i wish to get the air filter replaced instead of cleaning it (as the manual says). Reason being, there are lot of dusty roads i frequently travel. Is it fine going for the new air filter ?

The car is used only in weekends.

Request members to pitch in with their comments. Thank you
Old 18th April 2018, 15:19   #2720
BHPian

My Baleno is about to approach 5000KM and I have already replaced the Engine air filter twice and Cabin air filter once. It may be a bit of an overkill but I went for it. So you can change it.

Ask the mechanic to show the condition of both filters so that you can either clean them or change them. Maruti recommends to clean the engine air filter every 10K kms and replace them every 40kms but if the environment is very filthy they recommend to clean and replace the filter soon.

I am not sure about the Synthetic oil though. Many say the new Engine needs to run in with normal oil so that it will get 'proper friction' and later you can choose the Synthetic oil. I don't have the exact km details they are talking about but I think you can go for it since you have done 8000+ kms at the moment.

BTW, I don't have the price details.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 18:57   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
My car's third service is due next month. Though there is still time I would want some insights from fellow owners/experts.

Have run 8200 on my Zeta petrol. I am planning to switch over to fully synthetic engine oil. What is estimate pricing ? is it fine if we use fully synthetic oil right from the first oil change interval ?

Also, i wish to get the air filter replaced instead of cleaning it (as the manual says). Reason being, there are lot of dusty roads i frequently travel. Is it fine going for the new air filter ?

The car is used only in weekends.

Request members to pitch in with their comments. Thank you
For the filters, I always prefer to change them at 50% of the intervals specified by the OEM, unless there's a visible need to change. I suggest inspect the filters and take a call.

Regarding the oil, 10k is a good distance for the engine to bed-in and settle down with the mineral oil (Assuming it came from the factory with mineral oil). Synthetic oil will be more expensive, but will definitely aid engine refinement and longevity. Just ensure the specified grade is adhered to.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 20:44   #2722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) My car's third service is due next month. Though there is still time I would want some insights from fellow owners/experts.

2) Is it fine going for the new air filter ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
My Baleno is about to approach 5000KM and I have already replaced the Engine air filter twice and Cabin air filter once. It may be a bit of an overkill but I went for it. So you can change it.
I am not sure about the Synthetic oil though. Many say the new Engine needs to run in with normal oil so that it will get 'proper friction' and later you can choose the Synthetic oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Regarding the oil, 10k is a good distance for the engine to bed-in and settle down with the mineral oil (Assuming it came from the factory with mineral oil). Synthetic oil will be more expensive, but will definitely aid engine refinement and longevity. Just ensure the specified grade is adhered to.
K12 engines are shipped with synthetic oil from factory; I had synthetic oil in my 2015 Swift VXi. The first oil change was at 10K kms. or 1 year, whichever is earlier. Stick to the grade mentioned in manual. Team-BHP Memeber Leoshashi has created this excellent thread for oils approved by Maruti Suzuki. With modern engines one can go with synthetic oil from day one.

I am getting fully synthetic Shell Helix HX-8 from dealer owned service center in my city. K12 motor in my car is happier with this fully synthetic oil that it was on Servo oil used by other service center. Shell HX-8 used by my preferred service center isn't that expensive. IIRC, Back in 2016, I was charged Rs. 429/- per liter of the aforementioned synthetic oil. I do recommend synthetic oil for K12 from my experience.

For engine air filter, a physical inspection is first thing to do before going in for replacement. The filter is supposed to be cleaned in each service till 40K Kms. when a replacement is recommended, but I doubt if its done and in my case, the filter wasn't cleaned. I did clean it myself, talk about service center not doing their tasks as they are supposed to. I haven't changed the filter, but plan to do it at 30K kms. 10K kms. earlier than what manual says.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 18th April 2018 at 20:47.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:51   #2723
Distinguished - BHPian

NEXA Blue Shade launched in Baleno:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-29983753_1253512591449393_4890923010752151180_o.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-30703870_1253514398115879_7472959988048206435_n.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-30738462_1253514438115875_8254961915040408439_n.jpg

Pic Credits: Baleno Owners Group, Facebook
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:54   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Ah! Thanks for sharing. These pictures are quite good.

But, the Nexa blue has a very striking resemblance to Ray Blue!
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:45   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
In Continuation with my quoted post earlier. All the Varun Nexa customers were offered a free check up on 8th April at the newly opened Nexa service at Balanagar. I received the call and was told the car would be checked and fluids topped up if required followed by free wash.
I am actually struck between Varun Nexa service and Kalyani Nexa service in Karmanghat, Hyderabad.
I enquired at both the places regarding the specifications of engine oil they use.

KALYANI NEXA Karmanghat = SHELL 0w-20 for Petrol Engines and Mobil Engine oil for Diesel.
VARUN NEXA Balanagar = Castrol for Petrol and Diesel.

Actually, in my 3rd service, I got my Baleno filled with SHELL HELIX HX8 0w-20 Synthetic 3.5litre can. Now I am worried which way to choose as I am getting due on my 4rth service (1st paid service)
It would be helpful if anyone can share their service experience at Kalyani Nexa Karmanghat.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rohiT Nonu : 20th April 2018 at 15:47.
rohiT Nonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:15   #2726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Attachment 1753328
They seem to have discontinued the urban blue colour in the Baleno in favour of the Nexa Blue. I feel it is a great move as the Nexa blue looks much more richer and elegant and is very close to the BMW's blue.

Last edited by drmohitg : 20th April 2018 at 16:28.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:25   #2727
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Actually, in my 3rd service, I got my Baleno filled with SHELL HELIX HX8 0w-20 Synthetic 3.5litre can.
0W-20 grade oil is only recommended for use in places where max ambient temperature in summers goes upto 10 degrees C and upto -35 degrees C in winters. You are robbing your car engine proper lubrication by using this engine oil which will eventually lower the life of the engine.
Old 20th April 2018, 18:24   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
0W-20 grade oil is only recommended for use in places where max ambient temperature in summers goes upto 10 degrees C and upto -35 degrees C in winters. You are robbing your car engine proper lubrication by using this engine oil which will eventually lower the life of the engine.
0W20 is the grade Maruti recommends for the K12 engine.

From the user manual.
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-oil.jpg
Old 21st April 2018, 12:50   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
For the filters, I always prefer to change them at 50% of the intervals specified by the OEM, unless there's a visible need to change. I suggest inspect the filters and take a call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
K12 engines are shipped with synthetic oil from factory; I had synthetic oil in my 2015 Swift VXi. The first oil change was at 10K kms. or 1 year, whichever is earlier. Stick to the grade mentioned in manual. Team-BHP Memeber Leoshashi has created this excellent thread for oils approved by Maruti Suzuki.
Thank you for the advise. I feel the car comes in mineral oil only unlike your experience. To confirm the same, I wrote to Nexa and even called them as they weren't replying. The lady politely asked me to call the nexa service for this as they aren't technically skilled to answer this question. Sign ! I will be finding this out and will come back with update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
I am actually struck between Varun Nexa service and Kalyani Nexa service in Karmanghat, Hyderabad.
I enquired at both the places regarding the specifications of engine oil they use.

KALYANI NEXA Karmanghat = SHELL 0w-20 for Petrol Engines and Mobil Engine oil for Diesel.
VARUN NEXA Balanagar = Castrol for Petrol and Diesel.

Actually, in my 3rd service, I got my Baleno filled with SHELL HELIX HX8 0w-20 Synthetic 3.5litre can. Now I am worried which way to choose as I am getting due on my 4rth service (1st paid service)
It would be helpful if anyone can share their service experience at Kalyani Nexa Karmanghat.
Thanks in advance.
And I was thinking Varun Nexa was the first and only Nexa service open in Hyderabad. Today when I was talking to the Nexa executive to find out if there are any more Nexa service centers she gave me only Kalyani Nexa address. Even Varun NExa wasn't updated in their records.
Coming to your question. My personnel experience with Castrol has been horrible hence i would run away from them. However, I would suggest to get it done at Kalyani Nexa only.

Will pen down my experiences after my 10 K service next week. Do update whatever you have decided and your experience.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 16:02   #2730
BHPian

I was going through the baleno website and came across with image in their 360 degree view. is it just me or does this car seem a bit more elongated than actual?

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-untitled.png

Source: https://www.nexaexperience.com/baleno.html#brochure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks