Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 22:24   #3481
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
Boot struts generally show some signs of wear.
Boot in my car opens only till midway with the help of some push and this problem happened only recently all of a sudden.
Quote:
How old is your car? I think they change under warranty
I purchased Baleno in 2018. It is strange for struts to fail in 3 years since they last at least 5/6 years. One of the reasons for them to not perform properly at this time of the year might be due to cold weather since gas inside the strut contracts leading to low performance. ( Read somewhere on the net)
vivek2652 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 12:34   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post
I purchased Baleno in 2018. It is strange for struts to fail in 3 years since they last at least 5/6 years. One of the reasons for them to not perform properly at this time of the year might be due to cold weather since gas inside the strut contracts leading to low performance. ( Read somewhere on the net)
Yes, they should not stop working in 3 years, being maruti the SA will first try to convince you that it is the same with all the baleno . There is nothing that you can do other than ask them them to change under goodwill. You can try (I however doubt they will consider), if not, consider it to be your bad luck and move on. One less thing to be tensed or worried about
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 19:01   #3483
BHPian

Which OEM supplies CVTs for the Baleno?
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 15:36   #3484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post
Boot in my car opens only till midway with the help of some push and this problem happened only recently all of a sudden.
I have the exact same issue in my 4yr old Baleno. I have often hit my head on it since it only opens halfway without the extra push. Tried opening up the dust cap and spray WD40 in the hopes that it'd fix itself but that didn't work(no surprise since these are gas charged).

Asked my trusted SA to get it replaced, but he said unless it fails to open the boot completely, Maruti won't approve a replacement, the procedure is to send a video or something.

It really is surprising how they failed so early, my other vehicle with it's 8yr old original struts still works well, even in the cold so don't think that's the issue. My best guess is that they have developed a leak somehow.
MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 22:30   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_boy View Post
Which OEM supplies CVTs for the Baleno?
Aisin I believe. Not sure either.

Has anyone here drained out the CVT oil completely (not just 1L), by removing the bottom pan and changing the filter?

My CVT makes this whining noise. Thinking of getting it done from neighbourhood garage. Maruti has no clue and states oil lasts for lifetime.
Old 9th January 2022, 17:39   #3486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post

Has anyone here drained out the CVT oil completely (not just 1L), by removing the bottom pan and changing the filter?

My CVT makes this whining noise. Thinking of getting it done from neighbourhood garage. Maruti has no clue and states oil lasts for lifetime.
A slight whine noise at low speeds is completely normal behavior. I believe mine has a bit too, but it isn't as conspicuous.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...aleno-cvt.html (CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT)
You can check out the above link for more info.

I think it's your SA who is clueless, try speaking to the workshop manager or try a different MASS altogether.
Old 10th January 2022, 18:49   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
A slight whine noise at low speeds is completely normal behavior. I believe mine has a bit too, but it isn't as conspicuous.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...aleno-cvt.html (CVT Transmission (Gear) Oil replacement for the Maruti Baleno CVT)
You can check out the above link for more info.

I think it's your SA who is clueless, try speaking to the workshop manager or try a different MASS altogether.
I did checkout the link. The SA simply drains the oil in the pan and not the complete transmission.

Checkout the video in last post of the link you shared. I believe that's the right way to change the filter and the oil.
Old 11th January 2022, 00:06   #3488
BHPian

Quote:
I did checkout the link. The SA simply drains the oil in the pan and not the complete transmission.

Checkout the video in last post of the link you shared. I believe that's the right way to change the filter and the oil.
Well if you wanna go all the way, here are all the part I think you'd need:
1. 26572-58MR0 STRAINER ASSY/ FILTER
2. 24762-82KA0 GASKET, T/M OIL PAN
3. 24823-54LS0 PLUG, DRAIN (OPT)
4. 24824-54LS0 GASKET, DRAIN PLUG (OPT)
5. CVT Fluid Green 2

The optional stuff is not necessary(required only in case of a leak), but you can still go ahead and replace them while you are at it. I could not find the part number of the washer that has to be replaced with the filter, so I am guessing the filter assembly comes with one. Also do cross-check these part numbers with someone more well informed.

There are also two circular magnets present inside the assembly(to collect small metal shavings), so do remember to clean them while the pan is still off. A brake cleaner would help you get the grime off the pan with ease.

Found this video of a Swift(most likely a CVT); I compared this with the OEM catalog info available on Bodomo and the process and parts look largely the same. Any decent mechanic worth his salt should be able to carry this out without much trouble, so you could look elsewhere if MASS is unwilling. Do let us all know how it goes .

Last edited by MotoBlip : 11th January 2022 at 00:07.
Old 17th January 2022, 19:16   #3489
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
It really is surprising how they failed so early, my other vehicle with its 8yr old original struts still works well, even in the cold so don't think that's the issue. My best guess is that they have developed a leak somehow.
I think this is an inherent problem for every Baleno/glanza. Went to mass to rectify this problem but was surprised to find four balenos with same pull to open problem.
Later In the day I went to newly opened Toyota dealership and found same problem with brand new glanza ( Boot opens but you need to pull it till midway)
I think the hatch is relatively heavy for the struts.
vivek2652 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 21:32   #3490

Got my Baleno's 4 year/40K PMS done at MSSD (Maruti Sales and Service) Naraina, Delhi.

Service cost was on the higher side as even year (2Y/4Y/6Y) services are major services. Offer included 25% discount on Labour and 5% on service spares. It costed me Rs. 6100. And no job other than what is mentioned in Owner's Manual was done.

Now coming to the main point, I'm surprised to know Maruti's labour charges of Rs. 1250 towards Brake Cleaning (not included in my bill of Rs 6100). Shouldn't brake cleaning be part of the service cost we are already paying to the service centre? Is it just for washing and changing fluids? Maruti Baleno AFAIK is prone to brake noise because of defective brake pad design and all over poor quality of parts being used in "Modern" Maruti's. Does it mean I have to shell out 1250 bucks every year?

It is getting costlier to maintain my car YoY and its very doubtful if we (our family) will consider buying a Maruti again. Trust me there has been no peace of mind during my ongoing ownership and the service is not at all cheap.
balenoed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 22:07   #3491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed View Post
It is getting costlier to maintain my car YoY and its very doubtful if we (our family) will consider buying a Maruti again. Trust me there has been no peace of mind during my ongoing ownership and the service is not at all cheap.
The whole point of buying a Maruti car is to have the flexibility of getting it serviced anywhere.

Getting a car serviced at a trusted local service centre/garage does not mean mistreating a car or bad maintenance. The service schedules and maintenance details are there in the manual. Just get the car serviced outside once it is out of warranty. As an example, brake pad cleaning at a local garage costs only Rs150-300 depending upon the garage.
Old 6th February 2022, 22:42   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed View Post
Got my Baleno's 4 year/40K PMS done at MSSD (Maruti Sales and Service) Naraina, Delhi.

Now coming to the main point, I'm surprised to know Maruti's labour charges of Rs. 1250 towards Brake Cleaning (not included in my bill of Rs 6100). Shouldn't brake cleaning be part of the service cost we are already paying to the service centre? Is it just for washing and changing fluids?
Yes. PMS includes brake inspection and cleaning. Tell them you won't pay and it is included in PMS. If they didn't bulge, mail to Maruti. They will sort it out.
Old 11th February 2022, 15:49   #3493
BHPian

Quote:

My Baleno CVT makes a bit of a noise too, not only at low speeds but whenever I decelerate or accelerate. Is this normal?

It's not a huge noise but is this something of concern? I mean are CVTs dead silent otherwise?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th February 2022 at 17:57. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 13th February 2022, 17:02   #3494
BHPian

My Baleno Alpha CVTs (Oct 2017) steering rack was replaced free of cost. Was told whether to go ahead during the 4th service. Parts arrived 3 weeks later and it was a 3 hour job. Noticeable difference - essier to turn, centres back better after a turn, had a slight rattle on bad roads which disappeared. Very happy with my M.A.S.S.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 20:05   #3495
BHPian

I just serviced my Baleno (1.2L petrol manual) at 49915KM (~50,000KM service) and want to give some update. The car is now 4yrs and 4 months old.

This time, I have skipped Maruti Service center and I went to Bosch service center in Sarjapur. I usually spend around Rs: 8K - 10K per service at Maruti (not NEXA) service center. I find Maruti service centers charge around 50% of the service amount as labour charge which is quite high. For a change, I want to service the car through these garages.

This is the odometer reading after I completed the service and returned home
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-1.jpg

Despite what people think about Maruti cars and spares, getting some of the spares are not that easy. Getting 0W20 oil is not easy for example, even this is not available in MGP stores. I checked two MGP stores, one in TN and one in KA and on both places they are not keeping this in stock. It is not possible to get it from service center as well for obvious reasons. I am able to procure one from Boodmo.

Cabin AC filter change: This one I did it. It is a bit fiddly but able to do it. The roads are in bad shape near my home and AC filter gets dirty rather quickly. I also noticed that small bit of plastics in the filter which the service guy pointed out that it is because of rats. I just ordered 3M rat spray.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-2.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-3.jpg

Brakes are honestly rubbish on the car. It is pretty evident that Maruti spent lots of time to make the car light for fuel efficiency and features while completely ignoring safety which includes the thin sheet metal. I was looking for good brakes, I changed the stock brake pads to another set of stock pads during the 30K KM service and done some brake bleeding too, still it was rubbish. While searching google, I came across EBC brake pads on this website.

https://motospunk.com/shop/uncategor...-2015-present/

I am not sure whether these are genuine brake pads or some fake Chinese stuff. These EBC Brake pads are twice as expensive compared to stock brake pads but I want to give a try.

List of items I ordered and received for 50K service (some of them may not needed for 50K service):

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-4.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-5.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-5-b.jpg

At Bosch service center, Sarjapur, Bangalore

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-13.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-6.jpg

Engine oil, Coolant, brake fluid changed:

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-7.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-8.jpg

Stock vs. EBC brake pads. The stock pads still have sufficient meat in them since I changed only at 30K service. I will bed the new brake pads for few hundred km and then I will give my opinion on the EBC pads.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-9.jpg

Spark plugs are in good nick but I still changed them

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-11.jpg

Engine air filter. It is much more dirty than the photo appears

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-12.jpg

----------------

Items ordered through Boodmo:
  • Cabin AC filter
  • Engine oil 0W20
  • TVS Girling brake caliper grease
Items ordered through local MGP store:
  • Engine oil filter
  • Brake oil
  • Coolant
  • Engine drain plug
  • Engine drain plug washer
  • Spark plug
  • Transmission oil plugs (will be using for future transmission oil change)
Items ordered through Motospunk
EBC brake pads
https://motospunk.com/shop/uncategor...-2015-present/

---------------

Bosch service center, Sarjapur, Bangalore:

Initially the service advisor was a bit against changing the brake pads to EBC brake pads. He mentioned that many owners' complaints that EBC cause lot of screeching noise (they also sell Bosch brake pads may be that is why) etc. I am not sure about his claim. I hope the caliper grease on the back of the pad will resolve screeching noise. I will run for few 100KM and will see.

Some of the service guys don't want me to stand near the car during the service. They want me to sit in the "customer lounge". I did not oblige and I was near the car throughout the service around 2.30hrs.

Overall, not bad and the service is comparable to Maruti service centers.

The Service charge is Rs 2700 which is good, but I have not gone for water wash or interior cleaning.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-l-0.jpg

XL6 with Team-bhp sticker, bhpian ?

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-l-1.jpg

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-l-2.jpg

-----------

What I think about the car ?
This is not an exciting car. This is more of a household appliance rather than an exciting automobile. Does the job and that is it. There is no steering feel, poor brakes, thin metal body that gets dents quite easily and the list goes on.

This is what comes to my mind:

Instead of going too many details, I would strongly recommend anyone looking for Maruti car or Korean car to look for NCAP ratings and get a safer car. It is okay to deal with a rogue guy in the service center once a year rather than driving unsafe cars and get killed in an accident.
amvj is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks