Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 13:58   #3331
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Guys a question for the CVT Variant. Are it's brakes different than the manual variant? -- I thought L mode would give me a lot of engine braking effect but it does gain a lot of speed and brakes have to be used frequently.
We own a 2018 Alpha CVT. The brakes are absolutely identical and are not sufficient for my enthusiastic driving at times, but do just fine for defensive city driving. Also I did not find much difference in L mode compared to D mode. There maybe a slight eagerness to climb minor slopes is what I felt but cannot say for sure. Your post gave me an idea to try S and L together if at all possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
I’ll surely keep this in mind to remind them of pms and the charges/services included thereof.
I just got the 20k/2 year service done in the first week of August which cost around ₹3k including taxes excluding oil and ₹3.5k for fully synthetic 0W-20 oil which I got from outside as they did not have in stock. We are somewhere in between 9-10k kms. I always stand near the vehicle to be sure of things being done properly. A little effort for 1 day a year for complete peace of mind for remaining 364 days is something I can live with. All brakes were cleaned and the fluid was replaced as per schedule. I even asked the wheels to be rotated and it was done without any charge. I made it clear that I would not pay a single penny above the service charge and required consumables. This was at our trusted MASS, not Nexa.

I will suggest you to book all appointments using the Nexa app after consulting with the service centre about time and assignment of SA. Please give honest ratings irrespective of whatever anyone tells you. One has to be polite but firm if does not want to be fleeced. Additionally, there are feedback calls which can be used to voice your concern and customer care is quite responsive on mail or contact us form in the Nexa website. But usually, striking a friendly conversation with the SA and the person working on your car does the trick in the first go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
To all pre-facelift Alpha/RS owners: Please check your headlights for condensation, report to the service centre and make them note it even if the condensation is very minor.--I am yet to receive the parts but will post an update after some usage with the new headlights.
The headlights were changed under warranty back in first week of March 2020. New bulbs were already inside the headlights so we put them as is without replacing with the older one. The new bulbs seem a tad whiter and lower intensity compared to the older one. Each side with the HID bulb cost a cool ₹ 19k+.
Researcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 15:06   #3332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post

I just got the 20k/2... does the trick in the first go.
Greetings,

I agree with you on the 1 day a year front, have been doing so almost everytime. Last two times have been painful in the sense that due to work I asked someone in the office to do the needful and MASS didn’t change the fuel filter. Last time when I had gone, they mentioned changing the fuel filter as it had not been done earlier, to my surprise I asked them - that this must have been done in the last service to which they replied - sir, it has not been changed since the last 30k odd kms and they blamed it on me this was negligence on my part. More so, the fuel filter lid or cover got stuck and they had to break it to open and asked me to pay for the lid/cover too to which I simply refused and told them that I’ll report this, and they didn’t charge in the final bill.

I haven’t encountered hidden charges of any sort before, this is the first time I have been charged. More so, I got to know about this through the forum.

You are absolutely right in giving feedback, but the thing is the work has more or less met my expectations so didn’t feel the need to report or otherwise.

Anyway, this was a great insight for me and I am surely going to keep this in mind from now on.

Thanks a lot.

PS: I have a 4 year old 1.3L Baleno Alpha and have driven it almost 1 lakh kms. Since, I am new to this forum, I going through the rules, process amongst other things to be followed while writing a review. I am due in writing one, will share all my experiences till date. It should be of help for other members too. This has been the intention.
adv.yzr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:55   #3333
BHPian

I tried using L + S mode and it doesn't make any difference on a downward slope. One has to use brakes only. If someone drives very frequently in hills, with absolutely zero engine braking, the brakes will get worn out very fast.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:47   #3334

Having done 59,500kms on the ODO and past 4 years of owning my Zeta CVT, I had been feeling an acceleration lag and shift delay on my transmission.

Went through the user manual and all it said was Transmission Level Check, Refill or Change if required at 30k/36Months & 60k/72Months. The Service Advisor kept telling me its LIFETIME and nothing needs to be done!!!

I knew for a fact that CVT is a very delicate system and proper care and maintenance is required to ensure transmission life. When I cross-referred with other Manufacturers they all have change intervals within the 100k cycle.

Nevertheless, my search bought me this thread and I am very GRATEFUL to Prodigy07 and TeamBHP to have shared this information. Although I need to highlight some information with regards to the same:

- As per the manual Total CVT oil capacity is 5.7Ltrs
- Recommended Oil is the SUZUKI CVT FLUID GREEN - 2
- Although when I had the system drained, the oil came to about 1.9Ltrs
- The same amount was refilled via the dip stick inlet (am not sure if this is right process, as other cars have a separate top-up inlet)
- Approx Cost INR 2500

The transmission is now back to its Optimum Performance, no shift delays and its as good as it used to be. ALL BALENO CVT OWNERS, Please have your transmission OIL flushed and replaced on or before 60k. Service advisors say CVT oil is for lifetime...but once your transmission fails post your warranty period...the replacement cost just for the assembly is approx INR 3,37,684. Now that's a LIFETIME!!

Thank you and happy Motoring!
SpaceJunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:06   #3335

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv.yzr View Post
Greetings,

I have been charged ₹750 just for brakes inspection as I had reported that there was a screeching sound when applying brakes. This was in 2018.

The same problem popped up recently and they have charged ₹250 for cleaning

And GST on top of that.

I asked them if they charge just for inspection, the RM politely said “there is a charge for each and every inspection you ask for or report”

I had no idea about this and henceforth paid the same but from now onwards I’ll surely keep this in mind to remind them of pms and the charges/services included thereof.

Thanks.
Hi Fellow Bhpians,

We own a 2018 Baleno Delta Petrol. I have been experiencing brake grinding noise since the very first free-service. The car has clocked just over 10k on the ODO during our 2.5+ years of our ownership.

I have raised this issue with Nexa and MASS (MSSD, Naraina, Delhi) multiple times. In the first few services, they used to just clean and sand the brake pads, and the noise used to disappear for the first few hundred kilometers of the service.

After escalating this issue to Nexa through emails, I was asked by MSSD Naraina to bring the car for a replacement of the "rear" brake pads with newer "modified" brake pads, and it was obviously done FOC under warranty.

After a couple thousand kilometers the noise did come back and I just started to ignore it by increasing the Music volume, a practice Maruti owners should know and use to suppress the rattling sounds of our beloved Maruti's interiors.

At the time of the 4th service, i.e. the first paid PMS, my father complained about this and they once again cleaned the brake pads, only this time charging around 800 bucks+GST for labour and he brought the car back after the service without actually taking a look at the bill.

Since, I was out of town at the time of the service, when I came to know about this, I immediately called MSSD Naraina, and complained them about this, since this is not at all justified as I am facing this issue since the first 1000kms and have raised this issue every time at MSSD. Also, the brake noise appeared after couple hundred kilometers after brake cleaning was done at the service. In addition to that, they had replaced two malfunctioning parking sensors with two unpainted ones, and in that process they had damaged the parking sensor covers and scratched the bumper's paint as well (looks like the technicians were using screwdrivers to pry out the parking sensors)and handed over the car to my father.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20200229_125918.jpg
Broken Parking sensor cover.

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20200229_125926.jpg
New, unpainted parking sensor.

This time, I myself visited the MASS, and they did some paint touching for the rear bumper, replaced the damaged parking sensor covers, painted the replaced parking sensors, and replaced the brake pads again (under goodwill warranty). I questioned it to be called goodwill warranty since this issue is there since the very first 1000 kms (I apologize for reiterating this).

Some brake noise is still there, but the sound is very feeble now and is manageable but I don't know how to get this issue resolved. Also, if I raise this issue again, they will surely charge me 800 bucks for it and I don't know how to avoid this "Brake Cleaning" charge which seems to be quite high.

Also, this is my first post ever on Team-BHP and I'm glad to be a part of this ever growing community.

Regards,
Sarthak
balenoed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:23   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed View Post
Hi Fellow Bhpians,

Some brake noise is still there, but the sound is very feeble now and is manageable but I don't know how to get this issue resolved. Also, if I raise this issue again, they will surely charge me 800 bucks for it and I don't know how to avoid this "Brake Cleaning" charge which seems to be quite high.

Since you have been facing this brake grinding noise even after replacement of brake pads multiple times, insist M.A.S.S to replace front discs and rear drums under warranty. If they don't honour your request, raise on compliant to higher authorities or directly to Maruti. You might have received faulty brake discs or drums. Better to change it completely to avoid any risks of accidents especially during panic braking. You also mentioned that your Dad drives the car, so don't risk it.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 14:54   #3337

Hi WhiteSierra,

Thanks for responding. It is me who drives the car mostly. I apologize for the communication not being clear.
About the brake noise after the recent replacement of brake pads, the noise has reduced to just "hissing" under hard braking seems to be related to the car not being used and sitting parked for a longer period of time during the lockdown. But I'll surely monitor the noise, and ask for replacement of the parts you mentioned if the noise persists.

Going a little off-topic here, but our ownership experience with Baleno hasn't been niggle-free as compared to our first-generation Maruti Swift (2005). Replaced parts on the Baleno in the first 2 years include- both headlight assemblies, two rear parking sensors, rear brake pads (twice) and steering column (silent recall). Shows how Maruti's QC has degraded over the years.

Regards,
Sarthak

Last edited by balenoed : 27th September 2020 at 14:56. Reason: Correcting some typos
balenoed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:14   #3338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed View Post
Hi Fellow Bhpians,

We own a 2018 Baleno Delta Petrol.
Also, this is my first post ever on Team-BHP and I'm glad to be a part of this ever growing community.
A very warm welcome to the forum Sarthak and looking forward to see a share of your story through Posts/Travelogues/Ownership/Driving experiences.

I understand your situation as I have been experiencing similar issues too. Regarding the brake noise, I told the same to them multiple times and even asked to get it checked if it's a faulty part and need to be replaced, but they said 'all is well', this time my car's front brakes were totally worn out and the disk had to be replaced too as the pads had scratched them though the pads could have lasted more, I don't know how it happened. The rear drums were cleaned too and have driven almost 3k since then and there is very less noise now. Hope things remains this way and not get worse if not getting better.

Anyway, I hope they sort it now since Nexa is stressing on quality control.

My driver side window glass had broken and got it repaired, the Nexa guys didn't vacuum the car well and there some broken pieces here and there which I had to clean it myself and also they didn't give it a wash too and when I got a call from them regarding feedback, I reported the same and they have asked me to come anytime to sort things out. Though not much of a big deal but slowly and steadily improving themselves, that is the reason I am hopeful that they will surely improve their services and grievance redressal mechanism.

Happy riding.
Take Care.

Thanks.
adv.yzr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 09:39   #3339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
"light doesn't mean unsafe". Japanese manufacturers are masters in making light and safe cars.
5 years since you said it. Do you still feel the same. I really like the car but seeing pics of accidents almost daily, I do feel its not a safe car.
Everything else about the car the got right. I wish they provided some better engines though. The DDiS and Boosterjet have been axed. Can't understand why the Maruti engineers are not able to produce the BS6 version of the 1.5 DDiS, an engine they claimed was BS6 ready when it was introduced in the Ciaz and Ertiga. The Boosterjet is still available is other countries along with the K14 that was used in the Ertiga in India. They can launch the Baleno with the K14 or K15 engines and the 1.5 DDiS. Maybe even a new RS with the K12 Turbo.
Old 29th September 2020, 10:08   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
5 years since you said it. Do you still feel the same. I really like the car but seeing pics of accidents almost daily, I do feel its not a safe car.
What I think of the Baleno's safety is that it's not great. It's not pathetic either. Atleast the global variants got a 3 star safety ratings. Regardless, I still have concerns on the following factors.
  1. Maruti's decision to boycott global ncap because their cars got poor ratings while Tata's and Mahindra's got good ratings. For me, that's Maruti being in the Ostrich head burying mode.
  2. Having separate build quality for the cars made for India and Europe. India is home to Maruti but for some reason, the cars ( Swift ) made for its home country was rated as unstable body while the Europe version got stable ratings. For me, that's unethical ( unless if the manufacturer explicitly mentions that these are of different build qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Everything else about the car the got right. I wish they provided some better engines though. The DDiS and Boosterjet have been axed. Can't understand why the Maruti engineers are not able to produce the BS6 version of the 1.5 DDiS, an engine they claimed was BS6 ready when it was introduced in the Ciaz and Ertiga. The Boosterjet is still available is other countries along with the K14 that was used in the Ertiga in India. They can launch the Baleno with the K14 or K15 engines and the 1.5 DDiS. Maybe even a new RS with the K12 Turbo.
On the Diesel side, I still believe that BS6 Diesel designs are an afterthought / jugaad. You either have to cheat the emissions like what VW ( I hear it was not just VW ) did or you creat unreliable machine unless if your primary driving is on the highways. So, I favour this move away from Diesels especially for their smaller vehicles. Petrol, Hybrid and EVs should be what Maruti should be investing on considering the kind of inherent design flaws in BS6 diesels.

Here is a good video on the DPF issues on the Toyota 1GD 2.8 in Australia. - . Toyota is a manufacturer known for creating one of the most reliable vehicles in the globe. Even they are finding it difficult to get a reliable car out of Euro6 diesels.

PS: Ostrich burying its head under the sand is an animal myth.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 10:20   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
What I think of the Baleno's safety is that it's not great. It's not pathetic either. Atleast the global variants got a 3 star safety ratings. Regardless, I still have concerns on the following factors.
As you rightfully mention, the build quality of the cars in Europe and India varies, but not just that, the global variant whose 3 star safety rating you speak of also gets more safety features than the ones we get in India.

I own a Baleno '17 1.2 Zeta and the build quality feels a lot to be desired. The tinny feel will never fully inspire confidence, no matter how much I know deep down that sheet metal doesn't make any car safe/unsafe. The damn roof of my car has very small dimples as a result of being parked outside in a hailstorm! It's absolutely astounding just how light the build is. I also don't feel confident while driving it on speeds above 70-80. This varies from person to person, a friend who also owns a Baleno boasts about driving at triple digit speeds. I never could.

This is a good city car, and perhaps for the odd highway trips. If you plan on driving more on the highways, it's best to look elsewhere. I'm eagerly looking to change my relatively new car for this reason (along with a couple more).

An amusing fact - a friend once leaned on the passenger side door and left a permanent mark/slight dent on the body. You should make sure nobody leans on your car if you get this. Few unexplained dimples will also start popping in after a couple of years.
RoadMonkey is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 17:48   #3342
Senior - BHPian

Very disappointed by Maruti's service. My 2019 Baleno which has done just 5600 kms was facing severe brake shuddering, have escalated to Maruti twice and have sent the car 3 times to the workshop but all they do is bleed, clean the pads and send the car back. Have had this issue in my Ecosport where the steering and car vibrates while braking from high speeds and Ford was quick to find the issue and replace both pads/rotors under goodwill warranty.

Inspite of me telling them multiple times to check brake rotor runout, the technician had the audacity to tell me this brake shudder is there in all Maruti cars and especially more in automatic cars. They have maintained there stance that there is no issue with brake discs. Honestly expected more from the famed Maruti service but i guess i am wrong, if 2 escalations and sending the car to workshop 3 times is not enough, i do not know what would be.

Planning to replace/skim the rotors at some good independent workshop because i have lost my patience with these guys.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 2nd October 2020 at 17:50.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 16:06   #3343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
"Export model spec" alloys
The only thing I disliked about them was the asymmetrical pattern. Mounted on the RHS the thicker spoke is leading and the thinner one trailing whereas on the LHS its the thinner spoke leading and thicker one trailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Did a TD of the Baleno Delta CVT. I found the transmission whine very intrusive, the ride was harsh and revealing, even small ruts and cracks on the road were felt inside the cabin.
I agree the CVT was pretty pathetic to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
ISOFIX seat anchorage points.
Maruti seem to be going the extra mile to ensure that none of the dealers sell the Isofix seat (that is an official accessory) to any customer.
Old 16th October 2020, 15:26   #3344

How are you All?

I own 2019 Zeta MT. When we turn the steering to take reverse or move forward in the morning i am getting some creepy sound coming from the front axle. Is it normal? this sound is coming only in morning, after some running km this sound goes.
Old 19th October 2020, 23:31   #3345
BHPian

Hello all,

I have a petrol Baleno Delta 2006 which has done around 41K Kms. Im quite happy with the car except for the bone jarring ride quality. Even small potholes/ cracks/ the plastic speedbreakers they have these days rattle the car even on slow speeds. Even got the suspension changed under warranty from MASS in March 2018 but there was only marginal improvement.

Since there is no other solution in sight i am thinking about changing profile of tyres to get a better ride. I am a sedate driver. The stock tyres are 185/65 R15 MRF ZV2K and tread may last for 5-10K more. I know the tyres are partly to blame for stiff ride but changing to softer tyres on same size would not give the huge improvement that is needed. I was thinking about getting 14 inch steel rims and mounting comfort oriented 195/70 R14 or 185/70 R14 tyres on them. this would increase sidewall by 16mm or 9 mm respectively. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by guptavis : 19th October 2020 at 23:34.

Most Viewed