Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 19:28   #3421
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Not sure whether these are shared or not:

Important information for Customers of Baleno

https://apps.marutisuzuki.com/Information3.aspx

New Delhi, February 21, 2019: Maruti Suzuki India Limited will proactively undertake a “Service Campaign” for 3757 units of Baleno manufactured between 6th December 2018 and 4th February 2019.

“Service campaigns” are undertaken globally by automobile companies to rectify faults that may cause inconvenience to customers. This is not a “recall” as there is no safety concern involved

Starting 21st February 2019 owners of the affected vehicles included in this “Service Campaign” will be contacted by Maruti Suzuki dealers for inspection and updating the modified software in Actuator Assembly ABS, free of cost.

Customers of Baleno vehicles are requested to fill in the chassis number starting with MA3 or MBH followed by 14 digit alpha-numeric number on the computer screen. The chassis number is embossed on the vehicle ID plate and is also in the vehicle invoice / registration documents.

----------------

Important information for Customers of WagonR and Baleno models

https://apps.marutisuzuki.com/Information6.aspx

Maruti Suzuki India Limited has proactively announced to voluntarily undertake a recall for WagonR (1 Litre) manufactured between November 15th 2018 and October 15th 2019 and Baleno (Petrol) manufactured between January 8th 2019 and November 4th 2019. The recall will cover 134,885 vehicles of both these models.

The Company will inspect 56,663 units of WagonR and 78,222 units of Baleno for a possible issue with the Fuel Pump. Faulty part will be replaced, free of cost.

Owners of the suspected vehicles under this recall campaign will be contacted by Maruti Suzuki authorized dealers in due course of time.

Last edited by amvj : 7th July 2021 at 19:30.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:52   #3422
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Ran into some trouble with our Manual Baleno 1.3 DDIS today.

My father was driving the car in pretty heavy traffic and after some time the car just wouldn't slot into any of the gears. He somehow pulled over and waited a while after which all gears engaged as normal until about half an hour later the exact same thing happened but thankfully right at the gate of where he was headed. We have had a few instances of the gears not slotting in at times but not to this extent where it was stuck in neutral for a good few minutes.

Any idea what could be the reason for this? Had mentioned this during multiple service center visits but could never recreate it during test drives. Had even mentioned about the synchronizer issue I read on the forum(even though it was mostly seen on the 90hp version of the 1.3 DDIS) during the last service as it resembled the symptoms but the service center folk did not think that was an issue. Any information about the same would be extremely helpful.
Old 9th July 2021, 23:18   #3423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Ran into some trouble with our Manual Baleno 1.3 DDIS today.

My father was driving the car in pretty heavy traffic and after some time the car just wouldn't slot into any of the gears. He somehow pulled over and waited a while after which all gears engaged as normal until about half an hour later the exact same thing happened but thankfully right at the gate of where he was headed. We have had a few instances of the gears not slotting in at times but not to this extent where it was stuck in neutral for a good few minutes.

Any idea what could be the reason for this? Had mentioned this during multiple service center visits but could never recreate it during test drives. Had even mentioned about the synchronizer issue I read on the forum(even though it was mostly seen on the 90hp version of the 1.3 DDIS) during the last service as it resembled the symptoms but the service center folk did not think that was an issue. Any information about the same would be extremely helpful.
This seems to be more of a clutch issue than a synchroniser ring problem. A synchroniser ring issue will not be intermittent. It will almost always occur once it reaches a severe stage. In your case, you have mentioned the car was driven through heavy traffic. My guess is your clutch friction plate heated up enough to not grip the flywheel effectively and the clutch started slipping. Since the clutch was slipping, you couldn't slot into any gear.

A synchro issue is also usually restricted to slotting in and out of 1 or 2 gears. Synchros on all gears don't fail together all of a sudden. I suggest you get the clutch examined including the master and slave cylinders.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 23:40   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
This seems to be more of a clutch issue than a synchroniser ring problem. A synchroniser ring issue will not be intermittent. It will almost always occur once it reaches a severe stage. In your case, you have mentioned the car was driven through heavy traffic. My guess is your clutch friction plate heated up enough to not grip the flywheel effectively and the clutch started slipping. Since the clutch was slipping, you couldn't slot into any gear.

A synchro issue is also usually restricted to slotting in and out of 1 or 2 gears. Synchros on all gears don't fail together all of a sudden. I suggest you get the clutch examined including the master and slave cylinders.
Thanks a lot for the quick response vishy76. Plan to get the car checked tomorrow and will make sure the clutch is inspected properly.

Regards
Abhinav
Old 13th July 2021, 09:32   #3425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
….After changing the pads, it felt good for a few thousand KMs and again, it is back to square one.

I asked the authorized service center for fitting Baleno RS brakes (it has rear disc brakes) but the guys are saying it is not possible. Theoretically, it should be possible. I don't know whether Baleno RS has a different (Big) front brake disc or not.
Update on brakes

Yesterday I did a brake bleeding through a local shop. Now I find a slight increase in brake power. This whole bleeding process gulped two small bottles of Maruti’s Ecstar DOT 3 brake oil. I would suggest to do this with 3 bottles for peace of mind.

It is still nowhere near Tata Nexon’s brakes, which I find very good. There is a day and night difference between Nexon’ brakes and Baleno’s brakes. It’s pretty evident that Maruti does not care anything when it comes to safety: unsafe metal body, brakes and even the steering that does not self centre.
Old 14th July 2021, 17:29   #3426
BHPian

Update from my local Nexa service centre regarding fitment of Baleno RS brakes to normal Baleno. This is the service advisor update:

1. Brake ABS module is controlled by the ECU. The ECU needs to be changed ( Baleno RS to Normal Baleno), but it may not properly work since the Engine is different.

2. The rear axle / beam needs replacing to accommodate the rear disks.

3. ABS may not work properly since it is controlled by the ECU.

Overall, I think it is better not to do this unless some 3rd party company comes with custom ECU for this which I highly doubt.

Last edited by amvj : 14th July 2021 at 17:33.
Old 14th July 2021, 18:24   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Update from my local Nexa service centre regarding fitment of Baleno RS brakes to normal Baleno. This is the service advisor update:

1. Brake ABS module is controlled by the ECU. The ECU needs to be changed ( Baleno RS to Normal Baleno), but it may not properly work since the Engine is different.
I think apart from having to change the rear axle beam or whatever it is called, the ABS components would not make a difference. I am of the opinion that there would not be a separate ABS unit for the RS too, along with separate sensors. The logic is the same. Knowing how Maruti works, if that were the case then they would have given RS with same braking system to avoid providing a different ABS unit or sensors for the low volumes they expected it to sell. The service centers these days are just incompetent to do anything more than regular servicing and routine part replacements. They are also bound by manufacturer restrictions as well. So they come up with such excuses to prevent getting into tricky situations.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 16:18   #3428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Exactly after a months time I got call that the steering rack has arrived and I need to bring the car for the replacement.

Gave the car on 4th March and collected on 5th March, I have only driven barely 2 KM which straight from the service station to my home and haven't taken out the car since then hence I am not able to find any significant changes in the steering behavior.

But yes, the steering is 30% lighter than the previous fit. I was initially charged the labour amount which was 900 odd but later they made it zero upon my insistence. I told them I would write a mail to MSIL seeking clarity on it.

Planned some long drives this weekend which will let me test the steering too.

Shall keep you posted on this.

So the steering replacement was done at 27603 KM, I have roughly covered 3K km but not at all happy with it's performance.

I don't see a major difference between the old and new set up. My right arm join pains after long drives, I have a habit of holding the right side in 6.3 position a lot compared to 9.3. The pain could be because of this but I started facing this Feb onwards only in my 4th year ownership.

Wheel alignment cannot be the reason as I got my annual service done in April.

Fellow bhpians, are you satisfied with the steering performance after it has been replaced ? Car is out of warranty now, will I get another replacement or is it chargeable

I am planning to get it checked with the service centre again as the pain is unbearable.

Edit : My 4 year ownership summary coming up soon.

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 15th July 2021 at 16:39.
Old 15th July 2021, 18:09   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see a major difference between the old and new set up. My right arm join pains after long drives, I have a habit of holding the right side in 6.3 position a lot compared to 9.3. The pain could be because of this but I started facing this Feb onwards only in my 4th year ownership.
Do check whether the pain subsides if your bring your steering little down or up by adjusting your steering. I faced pain in my right arm as the service center guys brought steering up to the max limit during steering replacement. Brough it down to the position I am comfortable in and did not face any pain post the correction.

Also while driving, do you feel you need to continuously keep the steering either to the left or to the right in order to keep the car going straight?
The pain can be due to this, which in turn could be improper wheel alignment on your car.

Quote:
are you satisfied with the steering performance after it has been replaced ?
The steering performance more or less is the same. It just tries to center itself a little more than before, although that is only when you gain some speed while turning. Also at standstill, if you turn your steering it feels a little less heavy to do so than before. Has been almost 1.5 yrs I got my steering replaced.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 16:24   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwal_Aayush View Post
Do check whether the pain subsides if your bring your steering little down or up by adjusting your steering. I faced pain in my right arm as the service center guys brought steering up to the max limit during steering replacement. Brough it down to the position I am comfortable in and did not face any pain post the correction.
You mean steering height adjustment ? Yes, it is all the way up.

Quote:
Also while driving, do you feel you need to continuously keep the steering either to the left or to the right in order to keep the car going straight?
The pain can be due to this, which in turn could be improper wheel alignment on your car.
The wheel alignment was done in April with the service and the car behaves normally as in i don't have to hold the steering to keep it going straight. Don't know if it's my body which is acting weird.

Quote:
The steering performance more or less is the same. It just tries to center itself a little more than before, although that is only when you gain some speed while turning. Also at standstill, if you turn your steering it feels a little less heavy to do so than before. Has been almost 1.5 yrs I got my steering replaced.
Exactly the same here, it just tries to self center that's it. No changes other wise with the new set up.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 17:14   #3431
BHPian

Quote:
You mean steering height adjustment ? Yes, it is all the way up.
Yes the height, try bringing it down and check, since I am 5'6, the higher position of the steering used to cause pain as the hand would be higher than usual.

Quote:
i don't have to hold the steering to keep it going straight
We can remove wheel alignment as a culprit then.

Quote:
Exactly the same here, it just tries to self center that's it. No changes other wise with the new set up.
Agarwal_Aayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:26   #3432
BHPian

Guys, got service done from pitstop today for my Baleno Alpha, 1.2 At, it is 3 year old car that is no longer covered under warranty. For 3,800 they did break check, oil filter replacement, engine oil replacement, brake oil replacement, coolant replacement and air filter replacement, they also cleaned the car in the package. They checked the battery, cleaned the AC filter, they checked the engine through using OBD machine. It was a quick 90 minute service. They put shell 10W40. Not sure which oil Maruti service uses, they said this oil has to be replaced after 6 months or 10000KM. Is this true for Suzuki engine oil as well as I replace every year...
Old 18th July 2021, 17:19   #3433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
They put shell 10W40.
BS4 K12M engine uses 0W20 to my knowledge. After BS6, they're recommending 0W16. Maruti recommended interval for oil change is 10k/1 year. I personally wouldn't use the same oil for 10k km. An oil change costs you about Rs. 1100 to 1200 with filter. Get it changed at 6k km, if your running is on the higher side. You can find more details in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ti-suzuki.html (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki)

P.S. I strongly suggest you contact service personnel and get the right grade of oil to avoid any issues in the future.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 18th July 2021 at 17:34.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 23:25   #3434
BHPian

Last month I got my BS6 Baleno petrol serviced, they recommended 0W20. Is there any circular regarding the change to 0W16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeleri_Achu View Post
BS4 K12M engine uses 0W20 to my knowledge. After BS6, they're recommending 0W16. Maruti recommended interval for oil change is 10k/1 year. I personally wouldn't use the same oil for 10k km. An oil change costs you about Rs. 1100 to 1200 with filter. Get it changed at 6k km, if your running is on the higher side. You can find more details in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ti-suzuki.html (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki)

P.S. I strongly suggest you contact service personnel and get the right grade of oil to avoid any issues in the future.
Old 19th July 2021, 08:10   #3435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Last month I got my BS6 Baleno petrol serviced, they recommended 0W20. Is there any circular regarding the change to 0W16?
I'm not certain whether Baleno switched to 0W16. But I'm sure that both the Swift and Wagon R using the K12M in BS6 guise is running on 0W16 as I've seen it in the manual. Though I've read an article that said MY2019 Baleno switched to 0W16, it's veracity could be sketchy. I suggest you check your owner's manual and stick with whatever grade is mentioned in it. As of now Maruti still provides both 0W20 and 0W16 oil through their service centres. If and when they suggest a change over to the new grade, we should be seeing some sort of notifications.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks