Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:08   #241
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Doc-Zeus - oh no, you don't have to live with any rattle, no way! I'm not accepting this, so already informed for action. Can you elaborate a little on the clutch pedal click? (requesting to Kaviprem also).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you Behram sir. Regarding the clutch pedal sound, when the pedal is depressed, on releasing the pedal, I can hear a click sound. It's audible only when the engine is running. Nothing heard when engine switched off. Also only audible in quiet environment with Windows rolled down. Not even heard when music system is turned on. I tried to reproduce this sound when I visited the ASC for the immobiliser issue. But unsuccessful as it was noisy there. Mechanic told that it might be heard as it's a new vehicle. It'll come down as I munch some more miles. Am at 1800km on the odometer currently. I took out a video today evening capturing that sound. Please check it out. Don't know it's common to all stormes.
Old 2nd April 2016, 23:50   #242
BHPian

Behram sir, here's the video i took out regarding the clutch sound.

Old 3rd April 2016, 09:58   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Doc-Zeus - oh no, you don't have to live with any rattle, no way! I'm not accepting this, so already informed for action. Can you elaborate a little on the clutch pedal click? (requesting to Kaviprem also).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi, I had this problem during the very initial days of my Safari in 2010.
Also, I have sold my Safari a month ago.

Prem.
Old 3rd April 2016, 10:12   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Exactly as above. While the clutch is being pressed, just as it crosses the point of engagement/disengagement, TAK comes a sound and even the engine note changes just a bit to make it noticeable.
My Swift VXi (first generation) had developed a similar sound which was not there in the initial years. The service guys asked me to ignore it and I drove with that sound for a few years. Recently I had my clutch assembly replaced and the clicking sound is gone. The clutch cable was not replaced since it was not in stock. Unfortunately could not pin it down to any particular component while the sound was there. So it is not just the Storme alone that has this issue.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:11   #245
BHPian

My beast finally arrived at the dealer yard late last night. Got a call promptly today morning from the SR to come down and take a look. Since I was booked until late afternoon I requested him to wait until 4:30 pm. Although the dealership is open on Sundays, the attendance is quite limited and is on need basis only. Have to say, he not only waited for me but was also was very patient when I went about with my PDI in 42 C afternoon heat! Shout out to Sadgun (my SR) from Venkatramana Motors, Gachibowli.
Since booking the Storme 2 weeks back I am a regular on Storme threads, to keep myself abreast with all the niggles reported so far. Thanks Navpreet, Seek, Ferrucio, jeepster, Mods and all the folks for your unbiased posts!
Anyway, coming to the point I did a Pre PDI myself; had come prepared with the T-bhp checklist downloaded on my phone. Decoded the VIN and found it to be a Mar 2016 make (10th char is G and 12th is C).
Noticed a new Storme decal along the sides (on the cladding) running the length of both the doors; not sure if I should interpret it as another enhancement
All the requisite things are in place but what raised a concern is the finish of some body panels; attaching pics for reference. Is it unfair to compare this aspect with my humble Ritz, which did not have anything like this and costs almost a third?! I could not click pics for all such observations but the pics will definitely give an idea of what I am talking about! Also noticed couple of areas where the side cladding seems to be coming off slightly; all other places it's neatly stuck to the doors across the rubber bead. I also failed to understand why the vehicle was so dirty (even insides I could see the dust) when they're transported in car carriers? My SR confirmed that vehicle came from the Pune factory.

Cribbing aside, I am looking forward to bring it home next weekend; still hasn't sunk in that I will get to drive my own beast! Going for the Storme has purely been a heart over mind decision; fingers crossed, hoping for a smooth ownership experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_1718410361.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_171846429_top1.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_172106436_hdr1.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_172148246_hdr1.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_171830311.jpg  

Last edited by avinash_m : 3rd April 2016 at 20:23. Reason: End note
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:48   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
All the requisite things are in place but what raised a concern is the finish of some body panels; attaching pics for reference. Is it unfair to compare this aspect with my humble Ritz, which did not have anything like this and costs almost a third?! I could not click pics for all such observations but the pics will definitely give an idea of what I am talking about! Also noticed couple of areas where the side cladding seems to be coming off slightly; all other places it's neatly stuck to the doors across the rubber bead. I also failed to understand why the vehicle was so dirty (even insides I could see the dust) when they're transported in car carriers? My SR confirmed that vehicle came from the Pune factory.

Cribbing aside, I am looking forward to bring it home next weekend; still hasn't sunk in that I will get to drive my own beast! Going for the Storme has purely been a heart over mind decision; fingers crossed, hoping for a smooth ownership experience.
Congrats avinash_m for the Storme. I see you've booked the Urban Bronze.

Regarding the fit and finish, I couldn't find such grossly visible uneven surfaces in my PDI. I didn't observe closely enough. May be the Pearl White masks them well. You'll find few inconsistencies though.
Not to worry about other things, the dealer checks everything out in their PDI. My dealer was excellent in this aspect.

Even my Storme was very dirty when it arrived, both exterior and interior. The dealer had it cleaned very well for me. Had the polishing, waxing etc all done on the day before delivery.

Even I thought my side cladding was coming off. But I checked and re-checked everything. On the top of cladding, there appears to be a small gap between the cladding and door panel. But all is well.

Delivery next weekend? I preferred not to store my Storme in the dealership yard. So took the delivery on the next day it arrived. One bad experience - I was offered test drive in a to be delivered Scorpio S10 at Mahindra Dealership. Though I rejected promptly. Not all the dealerships are same though. By the way, did you note down the odometer reading?
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:59   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats avinash_m for the Storme. I see you've booked the Urban Bronze.
It's Astern Black actually; the dirt is making it look like Urban Bronze but I won't mind that.

Quote:
On the top of cladding, there appears to be a small gap between the cladding and door panel. But all is well.
I could find the gap only at couple of places, hence a concern; it looked stuck well to the body for all other areas. I've pointed that out to the SR; got an assurance it'll be looked into.

Quote:
Delivery next weekend......By the way, did you note down the odometer reading?
Thanks to my crazy work schedule I can't afford to take delivery on weekdays; still pushing for this Friday though. And that's why I took a snap of the odo while I was there. That reminds me, noticed something in the pic (attached) which I couldn't understand; what is the 'B' in the Odo?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20160403_165503424_hdr1.jpg  

Old 4th April 2016, 00:34   #248
BHPian

Quote:
It's Astern Black actually; the dirt is making it look like Urban Bronze but I won't mind that.

I could find the gap only at couple of places, hence a concern; it looked stuck well to the body for all other areas. I've pointed that out to the SR; got an assurance it'll be looked into.

Thanks to my crazy work schedule I can't afford to take delivery on weekdays; still pushing for this Friday though. And that's why I took a snap of the odo while I was there. That reminds me, noticed something in the pic (attached) which I couldn't understand; what is the 'B' in the Odo?

I do not own a storme but the B is for the trip meter. There are 2 trip meters in most cars these days - Trip A and B. So that you can measure 2 trips at the same time

For some reason I don't find the paint finish upto the mark for a new car. But then photos do not generally show the flaws perfectly or maybe show a flaw when it's only a shadow

All the best and congrats!!!
v_2rahjo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:16   #249
BHPian

I recently was in Concorde Motors, Pune to look at the Tiago ( lovely car, BTW)

I later sat inside the display safari. Just sat, didn't drive.

I don't know specifically why, but the interior did not impress me. Being a Tata fan, I felt that their other cars, even the Nano seemed better. Tiago was far ahead.

Even seating position reminded me of the ambassadors and padminis that I learned on. The steering wheel is a little offset. I tried photographing it, but in the photo the offset seems milder than it is really.
Old 4th April 2016, 11:21   #250
ISO
BANNED

Congrats Avinash

When I saw display storme (urban bonze) at Concord Pune, I was impressed by the paint quality. Interior was decent. Grey roof fit and finish was looking awesome. Doors close with solid muted thud and not click. I love that.

If you find irregularities in fit and finish reject the car straight away.

And yes to be delivered car can be used for test drive. Pandit automobile is famous for that. So keep eye on ODO. But sometimes they disconnect Odometer. I took one test drive of Pajero whose odo was disconnected.
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 13:29   #251
BHPian

Developed a new rattle in the driver side window. It was present since day one, but ignored as it was very minor. Today I observed it's more pronounced. Even the rear roof AC rattling has increased. And one more thing I observed, my Storme pulls a little to the left. Very minute though. Someone in other Storme thread mentioned that it's a safety feature, to veer away from the median or the oncoming vehicles. Not sure what to do regarding this. Should I visit the service centre or wait till the first service?

Also got a chance to measure the fuel efficiency finally, as the orange indicator finally started blinking. My calculations ended up with unbelievable 14.3 kmpl. Most of my ride till now includes the coorg trip I made last week, with 4 persons and both the AC's running all day.

I took out a video recording the rattles. People still deciding on Storme will run away, after hearing that audio. That bad rattles. But as someone already quoted in T-BHP, buy a Storme only if you want a Storme and nothing else. Except for the rattles, it's a wonderful vehicle to drive.
Old 4th April 2016, 15:20   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
I took out a video recording the rattles. People still deciding on Storme will run away, after hearing that audio. That bad rattles. But as someone already quoted in T-BHP, buy a Storme only if you want a Storme and nothing else. Except for the rattles, it's a wonderful vehicle to drive.
The Storme is a very silent car, IMO we hear small sounds magnified, when compared to a noisier ride, however I am not suggesting that your car doesn't rattle or live with it. You may check for one more aspect, small coins, pens, objects left in the door pockets, the cup holders or the storage areas, once I had a terrible rattle from the rear jump seats, and after suspecting the jump-seats, the rear door and cursing Tata quality I found a pen left by an idiot wedged below the jump-seat which was rattling, on a different occasion, a coin had rolled down the driver's seat and it was sounding as if the driver's seat had a rattle. Also it is difficult to pin point the exact source of rattle because in that big space, the sound seems magnified and coming from different directions. Regarding your window rattle, I suspect the seat belt adjustment mechanism, most of the time it is not fitted exactly, leaves some play, just slide it up and down slowly until you hear a locking click, and the rattling will stop. The door speaker too may not be fitted well, or as in my case the audio installer had put in some speaker component within the RHS driver door, which was not taped, hence over every bump it sounded as if the door was rattling
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 16:21   #253
BHPian

Quote:
noticed something in the pic (attached) which I couldn't understand; what is the 'B' in the Odo?
Hi, there are 2 trip meters, A and B. This one was set to display trip B. Press "Mode" again, and toggle until trip A is displayed
Cheers!
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 22:28   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
You may check for one more aspect, small coins, pens, objects left in the door pockets, the cup holders or the storage areas....
. Regarding your window rattle, I suspect the seat belt adjustment mechanism, most of the time it is not fitted exactly, leaves some play, just slide it up and down slowly until you hear a locking click, and the rattling will stop.
Thanks for the advice. Now i remember, yesterday i played with the seat belt adjuster. May be that's the reason. It's funny listening to all noises, as if am watching a horror movie inside the Storme. My OCD with rattles is making me find each and every little noise

One more noob question regarding the gear shifting. Am shifting the gears around 1500 RPM, without lugging. Is it okay? If I shift around a little higher, in the turbo range, it's too revvy. Someone, I don't remember now, suggested me to shift the gears at higher RPM's and maintain in the turbo range.
Old 5th April 2016, 06:48   #255
BHPian

Quote:
what is the 'B' in the Odo?
'B' is one of the two trip meters. You'll have the odometer, two trip meters labeled A and B, Brightness adjuster ( shown as ====) and a clock in that console.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks