Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2019, 13:01   #3751
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Alloy wheels are expensive while steel wheels are much cheaper. The cost of the tyre is negligible. It's the rim that makes it expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I think the question was "Why not an 18 inch steel wheel?", not alloy v/s steel as you interpreted.
As correctly interpreted by Mu009, I am unable to figure out any logic behind providing a different rim size tyre as stepney. If the tyre had been identical, one could have removed it from the steel wheel and fitted it in one of the alloy wheels to carry out 5-tyre rotation. Now that is not possible.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 00:34   #3752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
As correctly interpreted by Mu009, I am unable to figure out any logic behind providing a different rim size tyre as stepney. If the tyre had been identical, one could have removed it from the steel wheel and fitted it in one of the alloy wheels to carry out 5-tyre rotation. Now that is not possible.
It's interesting to note that all other 7 seater premium SUVs (CRV, Alturas, Fortuner and Mu-X) offer a full size alloy spare wheel except the Endeavour and the Kodiaq who both offer smaller steel rim space savers.

Source:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post

Definitive Premium SUV Shootout

CREATURES OF COMFORT

vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 09:10   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
It's interesting to note that all other 7 seater premium SUVs (CRV, Alturas, Fortuner and Mu-X) offer a full size alloy spare wheel except the Endeavour and the Kodiaq who both offer smaller steel rim space savers.
The Endeavour's spare isn't a space saver. A space saver is one where wheel + tyre size is physically smaller than other wheels (the clue is in the name "space saver").
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 12:07   #3754
BHPian

Quote:
The Endeavour's spare isn't a space saver. A space saver is one where wheel + tyre size is physically smaller than other wheels (the clue is in the name "space saver").
My bad. I was under the assumption that the spare is a smaller sized space saver.

So the spare is a steel rim that's the same size as fitted alloys but the tire rubbers are different? Never quite looked at the spare during TDs so not aware of this.
Old 16th March 2019, 12:32   #3755
BHPian

Quote:
Never quite looked at the spare during TDs so not aware of this.
Perfectly understandable - only reason I knew properly is, having scoured the official review prior to doing a TD, and knowing changes keep happening (take the Hexa, for example), I had made it a point to check even in my test drive. I also had them demonstrate the whole procedure of removing the spare and putting a "full size" wheel into the well.
Quote:
My bad
No worries mate. But it had to be corrected since you and your thread are something of an authority in the D2 segment.
Quote:
So the spare is a steel rim that's the same size as fitted alloys but the tire rubbers are different?
Their diameter and thickness (tyre width) is exactly the same.
Normal Wheel + Tyre Combo is: 265/60/R18 (alloy)
Spare Wheel + Tyre Combo is: 265/65/R17 (steel)
Overall Diameter (tyre+wheel) = 30.5 inches in both cases (IIRC).

To qualify as a space saver, diameter and/or section width (265) would have to be different. A space saver (donut) has distance restrictions in addition to speed restrictions, and has the potential to damage axles/differentials.

One only has a speed restriction with the Endeavour since both diameter and tyre width are the same which won't introduce slip into the system. It is only that the thicker sidewall will result in different dynamics at one end, thereby potentially being an issue in high speed situations, hence the 80kph cap.

What that translates to (in one sense at least) is that if you're in such a remote area that you can't get a puncture fixed, you probably won't have the road conditions to exceed 80, and you can happily continue with spare wheel. And by the time you reach a dual carriageway, you can get your proper wheel repaired and start hitting true highway speeds.

That said, in my experience with punctures traveling at the fringes of India (I was waiting for some first hand experience before taking a call on what to do regarding purchasing another alloy wheel), it's perfectly comfortable and trouble free to either keep topping up your tyre (slow puncture) or repair it yourself (have done that too for more pressing punctures) and continue rather than spend 20k on a new wheel and then tyre it up. Tubeless + this kind of spare isn't ideal, granted, but it's still workable for expeditions.

One can take what view they like of the savings Ford made with this, but I certainly wouldn't have minded spending on a new alloy rim + 5th tyre and then having the standard spare too as a "spare spare", but so far, I haven't felt the need.

Trying my best to convey useful and applicable information for all with this apparently meaningless rambling.

Cheers!

P.S. - Either way, debuda's query remaining unanswered by the many learned and experienced Endeavour owners here (I reiterate, the owners on this thread and their acumen is a massive comfort and was one of the top factors in my purchase decision - no other thread has this, and I read through ALL posts on ALL threads of the cars I considered before buying) is a testament to just how perplexing the spare selection by Ford is. In Australia, the car has 20 inchers on the Titanium (which people complained of and then finally Ford offered an 18 inch option on the Titanium there), and am 18 inch steel spare.

Last edited by Mu009 : 16th March 2019 at 12:44. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 15:39   #3756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am unable to figure out any logic behind providing a different rim size tyre as stepney. If the tyre had been identical, one could have removed it from the steel wheel and fitted it in one of the alloy wheels to carry out 5-tyre rotation.
Agree, no other reasons except for saving some small amount. Although, I am not sure of benefits of 5 tyre rotation. Whenever I have got the tyres changed on any car, I have always bought 4. But others may find 5th tyre for rotation beneficial. Besides in case a less used tyre is damaged, one can make that as spare and use the 5th one regularly.

Quote:
In Australia, the car has 20 inchers on the Titanium (which people complained of and then finally Ford offered an 18 inch option on the Titanium there), and am 18 inch steel spare.
Yes and some of the guys had no issues in fitting 275/285 x 18.

Mine is from 2016 so I thought of checking physically, looks they never gave 18 inches here.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-1.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th March 2019 at 15:41.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 12:15   #3757
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have booked 2019 Black Ford Endeavour 3.2.

1. What tyres to change it for? and where to exchange in Bangalore?

2. What other accessories do you guys recommend?

3. Should I go for the scheduled service plan which covers 4 years/60k kms for 39000? Details here - https://www.india.ford.com/owner/sch...-service-plan/

Last edited by Aniket6 : 18th March 2019 at 12:17.
Aniket6 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 17:58   #3758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post

3. Should I go for the scheduled service plan which covers 4 years/60k kms for 39000? Details here - https://www.india.ford.com/owner/sch...-service-plan/
1. Have been evaluating options for a while, and have come to the conclusion that the latest generation Yokohama Geolanders A/T are the best all-round option for anyone who wants to use the vehicle for what it is built for. If you are looking at tarmac only use, others will be able to help out with better options. My recommendation stands for only vehicles with usage patterns involving expeditions, off-roading, trail driving etc. On the other hand, if you want/need heavily off-road biased tyres and are okay with higher noise and cost and hassle, import BF Goodrich KO2 T/As after import.

2. Depends on your subjective views and intended usage. You may not need a snorkel, but you might like the look of it or vice-versa or any combination thereof. Other things like the "hurricane pack" are subjective - some might like it, but it makes me barf.
Similarly, rain shields - depends on the balance of you thinking how useful they are, and how much they affect the aesthetic of a car. Like are least affected on a black car though.
What I can say is, don't take floor mats from the showroom - much better options are available outside.
Personally, I got no accessories whatsoever from the showroom. What I have in terms of what I define as basic accessories + general stuff I find useful to have (other than more off-road/expedition focused accessories which I'll omit unless you ask specifically):
a) Puncture Repair Kit (mushroom plug-type)
b) Air Compressor
c) Separate Tyre Pressure Gauge (easier for quick measurements, go for a press-on chuck, not screw-on for this)
d) Floor Mats
e) DashCam
f) 12V to 2x USB A rapid charger + different cables (micro, type C)
g) Pen Drive for Lossless Audio (no Bluetooth audio for me)
h) A number of microfibres (separate for seats, trim and glasshouse)
i) Shades, hair bands, finer microfibres for optics, wet wipes, lighter, matches, binoculars (I'm probably going overboard now).
j) Lots of old newspapers + some plastics
k) Haven't yet found boot mats like many have installed, so I carry a pair of old bedsheets for covering the luggage area when required.
l) A bottle of water with shampoo mixed in for cleaning emergency dirt (bird poop for example) with yet more microfibres (separate from the ones mentioned). Trust me on the microfibres inside and out. I have a black car too. And Ford forces everyone in India to have the light interior. So we have the hardest to maintain combo with black.

3. Can't say really. I simply didn't bother with trying to do a cost-benefit analysis factoring inflation and opportunity cost. I was busy building a new garage, and then too busy driving the car and simply didn't have the energy to do the calculation before the first service (before which you must opt for it). You can rely on others or do your own mathematics/economics. Funnily enough, while there are informative stickers at the ASS, it wasn't mentioned to me by the sales division prior to purchase, unlike say, extended warranty.
I have a couple of thumb rules which you may consider:
1. If there is a dearth of information, avoid spending more upfront.
2. Life's too short for wasting time with certain things. If you get pukka information here from someone else and/or are quick with actuarial work that others would find tedious, bother with it. Otherwise just forget it - a big-engined, 4 million INR, old-school expedition vehicle, nay, TRUCK is all about "life's too short".

Anyhow, great choice and congratulations and all that sort of rot (not one for formalities).

I'm sure you'll LOVE the vehicle. Will be interesting to hear your experience and interact with you over time as time marches on.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I am not sure of benefits of 5 tyre rotation.
Agreed. Have come to the conclusion that only the front tyres should have similar wear patterns and one is good - no need to waste time and energy trying to get this archaic idea executed every X kms.
Quote:
Yes and some of the guys had no issues in fitting 275/285 x 18.
Yes. Your upsize also worked out well, I know. I'm sorely tempted myself, but with stuff like snow chains etc, clearances might be tight and I don't want to risk it, so I'll stick with the poorer ride of narrower stock size.
Quote:
Mine is from 2016 so I thought of checking physically, looks they never gave 18 inches here.
Even the Team BHP review car had that, so it's no surprise.

Last edited by Mu009 : 18th March 2019 at 18:18. Reason: Correction & Additions
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:38   #3759
BHPian

Quote:

2. Depends on your subjective views and intended usage. You may not need a snorkel, but you might like the look of it or vice-versa or any combination thereof. Other things like the "hurricane pack" are subjective - some might like it, but it makes me barf.

@Mu009, I hope that the ownership report we are waiting for from you is in the pipeline.

But we have officially come to the point where you owe us at least a few pics of your overlanding rig cast in the background of the great Indian outback.

A few pics will keep us going on life support till you actually generate the report.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 18:53   #3760
BHPian

Quote:
Hey congratulations on a great buy.

I'm no expert here but the Raptor grill looks really great on the Endy... I feel it gives it more character in terms of a butch off-road SUV.
I've seen some really well executed grill modifications in this regard, while some were plain revolting (like the LED ones)

If you're into that, do go ahead with it.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 21:33   #3761
BHPian

Quote:
@Mu009, I hope that the ownership report we are waiting for from you is in the pipeline.

But we have officially come to the point where you owe us at least a few pics of your overlanding rig cast in the background of the great Indian outback.

A few pics will keep us going on life support till you actually generate the report.
Stop putting me on the spot man - I'm a lazy *unmentionable on this forum* - don't make me a guilty one as well.

Kidding aside, I should manage it in April - have some time, plus will have the 20k service, and most important before clicking pictures for the review, will have a couple of scuffs set right.

But fair point, I have no excuse for not starting to right it down now.

Also, I'm almost as lazy with photo finishing as I am about writing - but yes, pictures tomorrow. That I can deliver. Don't expect too much though - my "overland rig" is BONE STOCK. All my off-road accessories are carried inside the car and used as required - it'll just look like an Endeavour parked somewhere.

Also, might reuse ones I posted before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I've seen some really well executed grill modifications in this regard, while some were plain revolting (like the LED ones)
AGREED!
Quote:
the Raptor grill looks really great on the Endy... I feel it gives it more character in terms of a butch off-road SUV.

If you're into that, do go ahead with it.
My advice would be to wait. There's a variety of reasons:
1. You'll enjoy the look of the new car anyway.
2. You'll warm up to the current look.
3. You'll enjoy the switch more for when you make it - it'll be a change in addition to a novelty (unlike an immediate swap).
4. On a black car, the chrome really does look good (major chrome hater speaking).

All I'm saying is, just wait a bit - unless you're absolutely sure. But then, you wouldn't be asking. I personally really wanted to go with it, but when the time came, I was too excited to care. Now all cosmetic mods are left for when I feel I'll want a refresh.

Very much a bent of mind thing, totally a matter of preference - don't mean to impose and all. My 2¢.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mu009 : 18th March 2019 at 21:46. Reason: Added some stuff.
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 21:39   #3762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have booked 2019 Black Ford Endeavour 3.2.

3. Should I go for the scheduled service plan which covers 4 years/60k kms for 39000?
Congrats on booking one of the most VFM Luxurious SUV at the price-point. From my own experience, Yoko will be the best option though some of the guys here had some issues relating to side-wall but they do some extreme stuff. Size 275 is a good up-size though you can opt for 285 as well.

Thanks for the link for the schedule service plan, I was not even aware. FORD service is mostly cheap so depending on your financials you can take a call. Maybe can keep this decision pending till first service.

You should definitely buy a good quality of Air pump and a hydraulic jack. I have an electric combo bought from local hardware market and serves well. Will post some pictures. A camera will certainly be useful. You will need to take care of the paint given the black colour, do check PPF options, worth the money if you don't have a covered parking at home/ office.

Enjoy the beast

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th March 2019 at 21:43.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2019, 22:33   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Higher profile tyres are cheaper. 65 profile is cheaper than 60. Further, they must have saved a bit on the smaller steel wheel as well. One of the many means by which Ford has managed to price the Endeavour competitively in India.

I am alright with 4 Tyre rotation. The only issue with this set up is when you have a slightly bad damage to one of the tyres and don't trust it completely anymore. You cannot swap it with the stepney and use that as a spare tyre. Something which was possible with 5 tyre rotation.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 15:13   #3764
BHPian

Sudden rattling noise - car in a flatbed

Hi,

This happened today, couple of hours ago.We started to Tiruppur from Chennai in our 3.2 Titanium. After about 120kms near Villipuram, during the drive, I started hearing a rattling noise inside the cabin at speeds around 80kmph. The sounds increased as I picked up speed. I stopped the car, inspected the wheel arches, looked underneath for any dangling parts, checked the engine bay and also checked the alloys/discs for anything that might be causing this noise. I resumed and proceeded further 2mins but now the sounds were coming off from 40kmph itself. The frequency of the rattling increases as the speed increases past 35kmph.

Fearing some transmission issue, I called up Ford roadside assistance and they arranged to get it towed to Sarvesh Ford at Pondicherey, about an hours drive from here. My dad , wife and 2yr son are awaiting for the Ford arranged taxi to pick them from Vikravandi KFC where I made them wait and then drop them off to the garage where iam now going in the flat bed.

Did anyone face such a similar issue?

What could be the problem here? Am I staring at any major repair?

Or can I expect the car back in form within a couple of hours drive so that I can resume my journey to Tiruppur?

Very frustrated and anxious.

Appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you

Last edited by vijay.sundar : 26th March 2019 at 15:17.
Old 26th March 2019, 15:43   #3765
BHPian

Re: Sudden rattling noise - car in a flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
Hi,

I started hearing a rattling noise inside the cabin at speeds around 80kmph. The sounds increased as I picked up speed. I stopped the car, inspected the wheel arches, looked underneath for any dangling parts, checked the engine bay and also checked the alloys/discs for anything that might be causing this noise. I resumed and proceeded further 2mins but now the sounds were coming off from 40kmph itself. The frequency of the rattling increases as the speed increases past 35kmph.

Thank you
I have been through the same problem it has been discussed in the forum earlier (Page 181) turns out to be some loose wire in the differential (that's what i was told) rectified using a cable tie.

Last edited by architkarpe : 26th March 2019 at 15:45. Reason: adding the page no of the post
architkarpe is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks