Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Good headlight is one of my criteria.

To all "Crysta" gurus, to help me decide on the variants:
  1. How good is the reflector setup of GX
  2. Can the headlight from VX be fitted onto GX
The reflector set up is adequate, you would not need more illumination that what is on offer as standard

Retrofitment though possible is not advisable, it would entail large costs. The wiring harness would have to be changed and also provision made for auto-headlamp function. Its not a simple job of buying the headlight unit and fitting it on

Best cost saving option is to go for premium 'fog' lights that would complement the reflectors
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 12:07   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekyLad View Post
Okay guys, I'd asked this around elsewhere on TeamBHP but couldn't procure an answer. Since it's closely tied to my 2019 Innova (19,000 km old, 2.4 L MT), posting here could be wise.
You're doing a good job getting a mileage of 16/17, whether this has affected the clutch or not will only be visible around the 1L mark

My suggestion is to hear the engine and shift the gears instead of relying on RPM meters and Eco lights. Each gear is different and all do not have an optimum shift up or down RPM point. Through trial and error you can figure out when to shift hearing the engine revs. This ploy has worked for Drivers since ages
TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 12:42   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
suggestion is to hear the engine and shift the gears
Wouldn't gainsay entirely but I believe the RPM is a rather precise measure that aids in better shifting practices because it can so happen that one isn't clearly able to hear the engine all the time (maybe it's the volume of music or the blower on really hot days). An immediate consequence is inaccurate rev-matching which leads to "riding of the clutch" though I maybe exaggerating a rather covert phenomenon.

I'd corroborate the eventuality that the driver gets accustomed to the "sound" of the engine and, in most cases, wouldn't have to avert to even glance at the RPM meter.

Quote:
all do not have an optimum shift up or down RPM point
That's where my question lies.

If at all there's this "optimum" then I anticipate that optimum to be the "power band". I maybe wrong but let me illustrate. While ascending the Bhor Ghat, I usually maintain the engine revs within the power band (starts at 1400 revs). Meanwhile gear shifts #2 to #3, if done at ~1900 revs, throw the engine to ~1200 revs on gear #3 which is out of the power band and really struggles to climb (evident). Whereas, if I make my #2 to #3 shift at ~2400 revs, the fallback on #3 is > 1400 revs and the engine is happy. While that falters the fuel economy a little more than case-1, I presume this practice reduces the chances of soot build-up (since it would've otherwise lugged at ~1200 revs) (and lugging is "bad") but again, I maybe wrong.

Quote:
This ploy has worked for Drivers since ages
Totally agree! Remember the good old WagonR LXi back in the day that had no tachometer.
theGeekyLad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 14:46   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Good headlight is one of my criteria.

To all "Crysta" gurus, to help me decide on the variants:
  1. How good is the reflector setup of GX
  2. Can the headlight from VX be fitted onto GX
The reflector setup in GX is pretty good. Just upgrade the high beam light to 6K 35W LED and you won't ever complain of visibility at night. It's a plug and play setup and hence no issues with warranty as well.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 23:21   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The reflector set up is adequate, you would not need more illumination that what is on offer as standard

Retrofitment though possible is not advisable, it would entail large costs. The wiring harness would have to be changed and also provision made for auto-headlamp function. Its not a simple job of buying the headlight unit and fitting it on
Thank you for your feedback on the GX stock setup. I also missed the point of Auto Headlight Levelling, which may be tough thing to retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Best cost saving option is to go for premium 'fog' lights that would complement the reflectors
I was planning to opt for the standard Toyota accessory fog lamp which i think is a LED unit and should be good. What you suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
The reflector setup in GX is pretty good. Just upgrade the high beam light to 6K 35W LED and you won't ever complain of visibility at night. It's a plug and play setup and hence no issues with warranty as well.
Thank you for the assurance on the reflector setup. After reading through the posts, upgrading to LED bulbs seems to be the sensible (owing to warranty) way. I was thinking of retrofitting a projector with HID - but that'll be definitely after warranty.
Old 27th March 2021, 19:24   #2541
BHPian

Need the location of fuse box inside cabin of Innova Crysta. I need to hardwire my dash cam. Picture will help. The owner manual says fuse box located behind glove box but I only see lots of connectors. I don’t want to route the cable to engine bay.
Old 28th March 2021, 21:55   #2542
BHPian

I was always interested in enhancing the experience of my car and one experience that I was always curious was how to get better suspension than stock suspension of any vehicle that I owned, what would go into the cars of higher value give better ride.

One quick and affordable enhancement would be perhaps, changing the stock suspension with high end branded ones, such as Bilstein.

I came across this youtube video of a Crysta owner who has used Bilstein B6 in his car for roughly 20000 km and compared his experience with OEM shock absorbers.
  • I am curious if Crysta owners on this forum have used Bilstein or other brand of shocks? Do you recommend any other brand and model?
  • If yes, did you change only the front ones (as the weight of the front is quite high and enhancing front shocks give considerable enhanced experience) or changed both front and back ?
  • Does the OEM shocks gas based? My FNG owner recommends not to use gas based shocks.
  • Any other inputs, please feel free to share.

I am planning to source Bilstein B6. Do you know where I can buy them from ( I am living in Bangalore)?
Old 28th March 2021, 22:48   #2543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post

I came across this Youtube video of a Crysta owner who has used Bilstein B6 in his car for roughly 20000 km and compared his experience with OEM shock absorbers. link
Isn't this video uploaded by bhpian @sankar?

Last edited by amalji : 28th March 2021 at 22:50.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 15:18   #2544
BHPian

Dear Forum members,
I had below queries on 2021 Innova Crysta ZX AT.

Purpose of ZX AT: Comfortable long distance touring with family (My, Wife, Son- 8 years, Daughter-2.5 years, Mother-In-Law-60 years). So, Safety and Reliability is the top most concern followed by Ride comfort. Given that I just celebrated my 40th birthday and I look to retain this car for long, I am looking at AT only. I prefer top-end for all the additional features on safety and creature comforts. I believe with Android Auto, Innova is the complete car now (very costly at that)

I had below specific questions which I am looking to get answers as I could not get good amount of clarity during my research:

1. Reliability of 17 incher alloys.
The earlier batches of 17 inchers in 2016 had multiple tyre burst issues. The wheels were downsized to 16 inches and again restored to 17 inches.
I took test ride and I am okay with the ride comfort/quality but was not sure of the long term ownership.

2. Heat Resistant Glass
Curious = Are these really effective? I got the test ride in a rather cloudy day in evening and the car was brought to my home with AC on. So, I could not differentiate.

3. No bench seat in ZX AT. Solve: Temporary Seat
Unfortunately there is no bench seat in ZX AT. From internet, I found a cool solve - called as baby seat or temporary seat.
When upright, it has seat, backrest and neck restraint.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova-baby-seat1.jpg
When in folded position, it has cup holders
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova-baby-seat2.jpg

This arrangement does not support seat belts. Now, as a family, lower variants are not palatable as we miss either Automatic transmission and/or the safety features.
So, the most optimal solution is to go for ZX AT with temporary seats.

4. Lights
I tested the headlights when I took it to basement to test east of parking. ZX AT has white LED headlights in low beam with auto beam adjustment, I felt that the beam was cutting much lower than my linking.
What is your feedback on this? Is the LEDs good for night driving on highways? Is there any way to adjust it further?

5. Extended Warranty
The standard warranty is 3Y/100K KMs. It can be extended by another 2 years and can be availed even later. Given that it is Toyota, do I need to get EW?

6. Tax Collected at Source (TCS)
How has been your experience? How long does it take to appear in your Form 26AS to ensure Dealers are clean here?

7. Insurance
How has been your experience- in terms of negotiation- will they match external quote? Is there any preference given to Toyota insurance (Toyota Protect)?

8. Freebies
As of now, dealer has voluntarily offered Rubber Mats, Mud Flap. I am keen on the DashCam. Do they typically give discount on these accessories?
Since fitting Toyota Genuine Accessories Dashcam will also means some wiring adjustments, does it mean warranty will uphold?

I am looking to do another test ride- a rather extended one before taking a final booking call. Please share any tips or blindspots which I may be missing on?
Old 30th March 2021, 00:12   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Unfortunately there is no bench seat in ZX AT. From internet, I found a cool solve - called as baby seat or temporary seat.

8. Freebies
As of now, dealer has voluntarily offered Rubber Mats, Mud Flap. I am keen on the DashCam. Do they typically give discount on these accessories?
Since fitting Toyota Genuine Accessories Dashcam will also means some wiring adjustments, does it mean warranty will uphold?
I would suggest staying away from the baby or temporary seat. Highly skeptical how this will hold for the middle passenger in the unfortunate event of a crash. You are paying a huge premium for safety by buying the ZX with 7 airbags over the GX/VX

On the freebies, you can push the dealer on giving complimentary accessories for 10-20K. I had pushed 3 dealers against each other and the one who gave free accessories for 20K along with free mats/mud flaps in Feb 21 on GX MT got the deal.
sid_deb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 00:25   #2546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
When upright, it has seat, backrest and neck restraint.
Attachment 2138262
When in folded position, it has cup holders
Attachment 2138263

This arrangement does not support seat belts.
(this only time I've used this emoji on Team BHP) this addition. You'd be better served with a GX 8 seater AT than using this contraption.

Internationally, minivans like the Toyota Sienna have a small middle seat, but they have proper anchors and seatbelts.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th March 2021 at 00:26.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 00:27   #2547
BHPian

Is the 2021 Innova Crysta GX AT variant a good upgrade from the 2011 Innova VX in terms of features? I felt that the GX AT variant has better features than our 2011 Innova VX, except for ACC and foglights, which I'll get it installed at the showroom.

BTW, we are considering a new Innova Crysta as the replacement for our 10-year-old Innova, which we bought used in 2016 and we are considering GX AT and VX MT as the Z version is over the budget and dad isn't ready to spend more on the Z version just for extra features and the car is mostly driven by the chauffeur along with myself and dad.

If we purchase an Innova Crysta GX AT(costs close to Rs.24L here), the plan is to get GX AT as the Z version is expensive by Rs.6L and instead, will get the mods done like interior(which I'll get done like VX or Z), the reverse camera attached to stock HU, aftermarket tail lights and others accessories, which will cost me around Rs.1.5L and still we would be saving a whopping Rs.5L over the Z AT and I felt that the 2021 Crysta GX AT is well equipped than our 2011 Innova VX with features like Apple Carplay and Android Auto along with cruise control but misses out on features like auto climate control and fog lamps(which I'll get it done at showroom).

And, if we purchase the VX MT variant(costs around Rs.26.5L here), we'll get the seat covers done and get the aftermarket tail lights as well.

Last edited by car_guy1998 : 30th March 2021 at 00:28.
Old 30th March 2021, 10:24   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Replies in italics

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
[*] I am curious if Crysta owners on this forum have used Bilstein or other brand of shocks? Do you recommend any other brand and model?
Bilstein is good, have not used others. Tein would be another option to consider its less stiffer.

[*]If yes, did you change only the front ones (as the weight of the front is quite high and enhancing front shocks give considerable enhanced experience) or changed both front and back ?
It comes as a set of 4 so changed all 4. Front Bilstein with rear OEM is a combination that needs to be trialled under caution. Stiff front and soft rear suspension can make the vehicle oversteer or vice versa not sure.

[*]Does the OEM shocks gas based? My FNG owner recommends not to use gas based shocks.
OEM shocks are gas charged twin tube construction. Almost all standard shocks are gas charged, will be hard pressed to find one in a new car that is not. Difference with Bilstein is that its a monotube construction with much higher gas pressure.

[*] Any other inputs, please feel free to share.
If you want to know anything in particular with Bilstein on Crysta ask and I shall try to answer them.

I am planning to source Bilstein B6. Do you know where I can buy them from ( I am living in Bangalore)?
I made that video when I changed over to stock suspension in Dec 2020 and the only thing keeping me from getting it re-installed is that I am not driving much as I used to, compared to this stock suspension is
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 11:34   #2549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Is the 2021 Innova Crysta GX AT variant a good upgrade from the 2011 Innova VX in terms of features? I felt that the GX AT variant has better features than our 2011 Innova VX, except for ACC and foglights, which I'll get it installed at the showroom.

BTW, we are considering a new Innova Crysta as the replacement for our 10-year-old Innova, which we bought used in 2016 and we are considering GX AT and VX MT as the Z version is over the budget and dad isn't ready to spend more on the Z version just for extra features and the car is mostly driven by the chauffeur along with myself and dad.
AT or MT get GX or stretch and go for ZX. Pick up VX only is lack of 8-str is a requirement with ACC an projector . GX is well equipped and gets lot of safety equipment too.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:28   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I think the dealer is misguiding or charging incorrectly for mats. Every Fortuner/Crysta comes with Rubber mats/mudflaps from Factory, this is not an accessory.
Wanted to move the discussion to relevant thread. I have attached the Crysta and Fortuner official accessory list which someone had shared in this forum. It has mud guard and rubber/premium floor mats. Mud flaps/guard didn't come with atleast GX version. And I had ordered premium fabric floor mats for both Innova and Crysta. Not sure if rubber mats were already present but as you can see in the list, they are also available as accessories. This picture is not from my dealer but he also had a similar list.

You can find similar list on Nandi Toyota accessories page.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20210108wa0004.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-crystal-geniune-accessories.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks