Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2018, 15:58   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

One of my family members picked up Ameo TDI DSG Highline Plus last week, and I was quite surprised to see these features:
  • It came with 16" Rims, like the one on GTs.
  • Has reversing camera.

But what has us both puzzled is the fact that the brochure confirms 'Stating Cornering Lights', but the TBHP review suggests that there are no bulbs in the socket.

Can somebody confirm this?
Old 15th May 2018, 16:40   #242
BANNED

1) Ameo has a reversing camera from day 1
2) Polo Highline trims also have 16" rims since months and I guess Ameo too got them updated at the same time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
But what has us both puzzled is the fact that the brochure confirms 'Stating Cornering Lights', but the TBHP review suggests that there are no bulbs in the socket.

It is there since 2014 facelift itself in Highline trims and I guess GT too.

There is no separate bulb in the foglamps, but when you illuminate the foglamps of a Polo, you will notice that they have a nice throw which illuminates the side too quite well (some design aspect). So, the 'static cornering lights' in a Polo/Ameo are nothing but the fog lamps lighting up when you turn on your blinker. I have frequently noticed this in my Highline TDi that if the headlamps are ON but foglamps aren't, you indicate and you will notice that the foglamp turn ON to brighten up the corner for you. But this doesn't work without blinkers I guess, while VW should have made it connected to the steering wheel too - if one turns to any lock and headlamps are ON, that means the person needs assist to brighten the corner too.

The following video will give you an idea of how it works:

Last edited by VKumar : 15th May 2018 at 16:46.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 18:58   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
1) Ameo has a reversing camera from day 1
2) Polo Highline trims also have 16" rims since months and I guess Ameo too got them updated at the same time

It is there since 2014 facelift itself in Highline trims and I guess GT too.
With VW launching/updating new variants almost every month, I completely lost track/interest in updating myself. Thank you VKumar for educating me on this.

Quote:

I have frequently noticed this in my Highline TDi that if the headlamps are ON but foglamps aren't, you indicate and you will notice that the foglamp turn ON to brighten up the corner for you.
That really makes sense there buddy, and me and my cousin tried everything possible to get this to work.

Thank you once again for sharing the details through your post and the video clip.
Old 15th May 2018, 19:14   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

Name:  volkswagenameoimage13091.png
Views: 10097
Size:  92.6 KB

I'll alleviate your confusion. The official review is right. As you see in the picture, the European Polo (old version) had separate cornering lamps like the one circled here. In India, it's the same lamp that's used but without the bulbs inside. Basically the circled bit is a dummy. Instead, when you corner, your standard fog lamps light up.

Perhaps VW tried to save on cost by using the same fog lamp set up with only the reflectors for cornering lamps. Look closely at your friend's Ameo and you will find these dummy reflectors on both sides.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 15th May 2018 at 19:16.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2018, 21:06   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
So, the 'static cornering lights' in a Polo/Ameo are nothing but the fog lamps lighting up when you turn on your blinker. I have frequently noticed this in my Highline TDi that if the headlamps are ON but foglamps aren't, you indicate and you will notice that the foglamp turn ON to brighten up the corner for you. But this doesn't work without blinkers I guess, while VW should have made it connected to the steering wheel too - if one turns to any lock and headlamps are ON, that means the person needs assist to brighten the corner too.
The cornering lamp function is independent of the blinker switch. It does turn on based on steering input regardless of the indicator status. I have checked it in my Polo.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:28   #246
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone give an insight on what are the fuel efficiency figures for the erstwhile 1.2L petrol engine?
Old 19th October 2018, 02:00   #247
BHPian

Have anyone come across a video comparison of 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel Automatic V/S Ameo Diesel Automatic.
Please share the link.

What is the general recommendation between these 2 cars. I am in the market for a Diesel Automatic (certainly not an AMT)
Old 19th October 2018, 08:54   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Can anyone give an insight on what are the fuel efficiency figures for the erstwhile 1.2L petrol engine?
Average Delhi city mileage of my relatives' 1.2 petrol is around 12-13. Most of the commute is on the main roads, with around 4-5kms of internal roads. Decent enough considering that the air conditioning is always on.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 07:01   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
Have anyone come across a video comparison of 2018 Honda Amaze Diesel Automatic V/S Ameo Diesel Automatic.
Please share the link.

What is the general recommendation between these 2 cars. I am in the market for a Diesel Automatic (certainly not an AMT)
I own Ameo Diesel automatic and I have driven Amaze diesel automatic. If you are looking for a fun to drive car option, Ameo is the one to go. Amaze is a better overall package with very good space and riding comfort when compared to Ameo. The engine on the amaze is not as peppy as the Ameo but definitely not under-powered.
Old 26th October 2018, 00:40   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkocherry View Post
I own Ameo Diesel automatic and I have driven Amaze diesel automatic. If you are looking for a fun to drive car option, Ameo is the one to go. Amaze is a better overall package with very good space and riding comfort when compared to Ameo. The engine on the amaze is not as peppy as the Ameo but definitely not under-powered.
I know this may sound silly, but is the quality in Ameo comparable to that of Vento. I know Vento is a segment above, so it may be spacious, luxurious etc and Ameo may not have similar feature set, but is the build quality at par with Vento. Or, is it that Ameo is just attract price cautious customers and VV have cut corners (in quality) to reduce the cost.
Old 28th October 2018, 14:59   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayB View Post
I know this may sound silly, but is the quality in Ameo comparable to that of Vento. I know Vento is a segment above, so it may be spacious, luxurious etc and Ameo may not have similar feature set, but is the build quality at par with Vento. Or, is it that Ameo is just attract price cautious customers and VV have cut corners (in quality) to reduce the cost.
My father-in-law has a vento and I don’t see any quality difference in the materials used. The main difference I see is in the space.
jkocherry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 13:15   #252
BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

My friend spotted this Ameo with an Ameo Cup style spoiler today. It looks very nice and helps uplift the Ameo's 'jugaadu' looks.

License plate blurred on his request.
Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-img_20190203_131156.jpg

Pic credits to my friend
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 20:32   #253
BHPian

Volkswagen may exit India’s sub-4m Sedan race next year

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/67893628.cms

Related Video
Old 13th February 2019, 21:26   #254
BHPian

VW came back with a statement saying they do not intend to exit ASAP.
Old 10th March 2019, 09:23   #255
BANNED

I honestly don't think that this car looks ugly. In my opinion, it actually looks better than the Dzire and the new Amaze. The new Amaze looks so disproportionate when compared to the Ameo and it's funny how people say that the Ameo is weird looking because it really isn't! It's sad to see the sales figure of Ameo. I don't think we will ever get over Maruti Suzuki here in this country. Just because it lacks gimmicky features like LED DRLs, Push-to-start etc. it's a bad vehicle for most of the buyers. Talking about less headroom & boot space than the competition, It's not that great but since the car is build solid I think it's absolutely worth it. I bought it so I don't care what other people say, I love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-20181109_171355_hdr0101.jpeg  

kumaranurag is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks