Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 22:39   #211
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The 1.5 TDI with the DSG is the best combination I can think of and VW have done a great job plonking it in a compact sedan. Very wise decision and congrats!
Thanks, VW did get it right with this one. The fact that it has a better power:weight ratio than the Vento makes it fun to drive too
lazyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 10:16   #212
Senior - BHPian

Took a test drive of the Diesel Automatic, and was impressed with the overall package. Rear space could be better as the AC vents along with floor hump intrude a bit and in-city fuel average was a measly 9KMPL. Expected better mileage.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:21   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen gives the HIGHLINE PLUS variants to all its products, after Vento and Polo now Ameo gets the top- end Highline Plus variant.

Volkswagen Ameo Highline Plus to be priced at Rs 7.35 lakh.

Quote:
There will be levels of the Highline Plus trim; one with a reversing camera, and one that gets the reversing camera and the 16-inch alloy wheels.

The price for the petrol variant is likely to start at Rs 7.35 lakh and go up to Rs 7.45 lakh (with 16-inch alloys), while the diesel Highline Plus variant will start around Rs 8.59 lakh and go up to Rs 8.69 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai).

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st July 2017 at 07:25.
Old 21st July 2017, 10:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There will be levels of the Highline Plus trim; one with a reversing camera, and one that gets the reversing camera and the 16-inch alloy wheels.
This is turning out to be total bummer by the German Giants.

When I bought my GT back in 2014, I was so proud of VAGs:
- Simplistic Design
- Simple Layout of Models
- Simply Staggering Peformance

There were only 3 models on offer, Trendline, Comfortline and Highline. The GTs were really just a Highline variant with only an engine and few cosmetic changes.

Today, VW models have almost as many variants as Tata once did on their Indica model.

DAMN - Did I Just stir up a Hornets Nest here?? I guess VW & TATA have secretly started collaborating !!
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:39   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen gives the HIGHLINE PLUS variants to all its products, after Vento and Polo now Ameo gets the top- end Highline Plus variant.

Link
This article seems to be very inaccurate. Ameo Highline already had the reverse camera available. So, Highline plus would have only the new alloys?
Old 22nd July 2017, 08:55   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
This article seems to be very inaccurate. Ameo Highline already had the reverse camera available. So, Highline plus would have only the new alloys?
Not really. Highline already has reversing camera. Highline plus will have 16 inch alloys along with the reversing camera.

Edit: looks like there will be 2 highline plus' variants. These variants will be replacing the current highline variant. One highline plus variant will be the existing highline variant and the other will get 16 inch alloys along with the reversing. More on the lines of Tiago, where the alloys are optional. Why not have the existing highline and add the 16 inch alloys to it and introduce the highline plus variant with the tsi engine with LED headlights? Confusing strategy.

Last edited by arunramaswamy : 22nd July 2017 at 09:05.
Old 6th August 2017, 12:13   #217
BHPian

I need a sedan with a petrol engine and an automatic transmission. I am tired of the diesel clatter in my punto and my knee hurts from constantly riding the clutch in bangalore traffic.

A turbo on a petrol would add to the fun factor.

Is an Ameo petrol DSG a good choice for start/stop city traffic? Or is it advisable to look at a Vento instead? Does the Vento TSI drive better in city traffic than an Ameo?

I am not very concerned about highway driving as most cars from VW/Skoda drive well at high speeds. I just don't want to hear a diesel motor for the next 5 years.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 6th August 2017 at 12:14.
Old 6th August 2017, 16:55   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I need a sedan with a petrol engine and an automatic transmission. I am tired of the diesel clatter in my punto and my knee hurts from constantly riding the clutch in bangalore traffic.

A turbo on a petrol would add to the fun factor.

Is an Ameo petrol DSG a good choice for start/stop city traffic? Or is it advisable to look at a Vento instead? Does the Vento TSI drive better in city traffic than an Ameo?
Unfortunately the Ameo does not come with a petrol AT. The dsg is available only with the diesel. If you want a TSI AT , the only choices are the Polo and Vento.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:18   #219
BHPian

Hi, is there not a single Ameo ownership thread? How has the DSG+Diesel combo held up? any long term reports? Also, are the injector failure instances stopped? Any factors that cause these injectors to fail?

Ameo is int he list of cars I am looking for an upgrade from Ritz. Need a Diesel+Auto with safety features.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 12:53   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Hi, is there not a single Ameo ownership thread? How has the DSG+Diesel combo held up? any long term reports? Also, are the injector failure instances stopped? Any factors that cause these injectors to fail?

Ameo is in the list of cars I am looking for an upgrade from Ritz. Need a Diesel+Auto with safety features.
My dad has the diesel DSG Ameo. Its done about 5k km which is not much but a data point none the less. Even though its his car, I have covered majority of the running so here's my thoughts.

It is easily the most convenient car I have driven. Feels like a big go kart.
That DSG (if it works reliably) is flawless and I almost never need to bother getting into M or S mode even while spirited driving. It never gives the impression that something is missing or the gearshift is late.

The driveability is nice. At the beginning, I felt that the power-train overstayed its welcome in the lower gears (it up-shifted slightly late in my view). In the same condition, if I drive in M mode, the up-shift is allowed by the transmission.

I suppose this is a good way to get rid of combustion noise. This is because of the following behavior:

1. Engine RPM is lower in higher gears so you are operating closer to peak torque at that rpm point.
2. Usually, manufacturers avoid using pilot injections at those engine operating points.
3. With only main injection, typically engine noise is high.
4. You can avoid this by staying in the lower gear.
5. Engine torque requirement is lower and it can operate in a partial load point with pilot injection on.

On highway, the car is excellent for its class and competition. The steering could have been slightly heavier because the car changes direction a little too easily. Some people will like it more.

Cruise control is a fantastic feature to have and if you do highway commutes, its just beautiful!

I have not heard of injector failures on the Ameo, but we have opted for the 5 year extended warranty so I am not too worried about stuff failing.

Brakes are excellent, never felt uncomfortable braking hard. I sometimes use manual downshift if I see a speed breaker ahead of me just so that engine braking can be used. The transition from M to D is just seamless and the car never has gotten confused. I have tried.

Regarding space, I would say its best for 2 people, max 3. The rear seats are not much fun to sit in really. We may have got the Polo if it had a diesel DSG.

Overall, I would really recommend the car since prices have dropped and you could consider a low mileage pre-owned Ameo also. I am seeing a few Ameos which have done 5k which are for sale around the 8 lac mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Took a test drive of the Diesel Automatic, and was impressed with the overall package. Rear space could be better as the AC vents along with floor hump intrude a bit and in-city fuel average was a measly 9KMPL. Expected better mileage.
I am just guessing here but was the test drive you took really small? A couple kms maybe. Or extremely busy traffic.
Fuel economy tends to be poor at the beginning since the oil is yet to come up to operating temperatures.

I have never seen single digit fuel economy in the Ameo even in stop-go traffic.
One Pune-Mumbai return trip gave me over 20 kmpl.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th August 2017 at 16:54. Reason: Post edited on request & posts merged. Typos & grammar fixed.
nitrogary is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 23:26   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Hi,
We took the delivery on Thursday. we got an discount of 42K on November 2016 Highline DSG model. Driveability is OK, if not better than manual transmissions in traffic, and I already own a Skoda Rapid TDi DSG.
Since you own both Rapid diesel DSG & Ameo diesel DSG, your comparison of engine & DSG behavior, NVH, ride & handling etc of both cars would help a lot. Some have reported terrible turbo lag in Ameo. Though I have not driven a Ameo yet, I had once a TD of Rapid diesel DSG & really liked it. Did not feel the turbo lag inside city. Kindly help with your inputs.
Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 19:40   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post

Ameo is int he list of cars I am looking for an upgrade from Ritz. Need a Diesel+Auto with safety features.

Sorry if I'm too late but the injector issues were only in the 2011-2013 batches of the 1.6 TDI. There haven't been any issues in the batches after that. Our 1.6 TDI 2014 Vento is running as good as new even at 54k kms.
Old 30th September 2017, 00:42   #223
BHPian

Wifey needs to get a new car. An upgrade(if I can really call it an upgrade) from her existing Cedia sports. The options are polo sports GT TSI or the Ameo Highline plus diesel with the DSG.
Sine the Ameo has good deals going the Ameo is priced around 50k more than the petrol polo TSI with the DSG. Am not able to make up my mind which one should I go for.
Rear vents for the AC, rear camera, more boot space and the front arm rest seems like a good value proposition.
Just need to figure out which is a better engine. The 1.2 petrol or the 1.5 oil burner. Also how is the DSG with these two. Any suggestions ???
Old 30th September 2017, 01:13   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Wifey needs to get a new car. An upgrade(if I can really call it an upgrade) from her existing Cedia sports. The options are polo sports GT TSI or the Ameo Highline plus diesel with the DSG.
Sine the Ameo has good deals going the Ameo is priced around 50k more than the petrol polo TSI with the DSG. Am not able to make up my mind which one should I go for.
Rear vents for the AC, rear camera, more boot space and the front arm rest seems like a good value proposition.
Just need to figure out which is a better engine. The 1.2 petrol or the 1.5 oil burner. Also how is the DSG with these two. Any suggestions ???
As someone who has a Polo GT Tsi and driven it for around 18k in 16 months, I can safely say that apart from the braking performance, there is nothing about the car that you won't like.Even the feature list is very comprehensive now as compared to earlier.In the wake of being compared to an Ameo TDI dsg, I'll quote an instance from June when I was looking for an automatic car for my mother, already been driving a GT for a year that time, I went with high hopes from the ameo TDI dsg thinking it'll be the best all rounder and what not due to that stonker of a diesel engine, but trust me I came back disappointed, mainly because:
-too noisy for someone coming from a GT Tsi
- exaggerated lag in upshifts
- heavy feeling with that heavy engine upfront
-mother not used to driving diesels would give up on this and drive my GT permanently
-running not sufficient to warrant a diesel, around 10000km/year
-That special hot hatch appeal of the GT at a lower price.
Now the deciding factor for me against the ameo was the annual running, would leave that upon you to tell that which way yours is headed, if that is less than 15k per year, definitely I'll lead you to the Polo GT tsi.Anything more than​ that, go for the Ameo.Another point worth noting is that the Polo GT will also retain its value better.
dhruvritzed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 20:49   #225
BHPian

Thanks to Bangalore traffic, I have been in market for a daily drive AT hatch for sometime now, and have been slowly realising that there is hardly anything I will like apart from the Polo GT TSI.

Then I happend to come across an year old Ameo DSG in Bangalore out for sale at what appeared to be quite a lucrative price. Neck and neck with GT TSI, it's a very feature rich car on paper; lots of goodies over what the GT offers. So, though I felt the rear/boot styling of Ameo was downright pathetic, I decided to ignore it and started considering it as another option. Took a test drive of the pre-owned car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
I went with high hopes from the ameo TDI dsg thinking it'll be the best all rounder and what not due to that stonker of a diesel engine, but trust me I came back disappointed, mainly because:
- too noisy for someone coming from a GT Tsi
- exaggerated lag in upshifts
This is exactly what I noticed as well. The diesel clatter is maddeningly loud inside the cabin. I don't think I will be able to tolerate that in a bumper to bumper traffic. I will choose the refined TSI and silent Polo cabin any day over this car.

Besides, the turbo lag is quite prominent as well. Ameo just doesn't feel as sprightly and as responsive as the TSI. That combined with the clatter, I am quite convinced that even after considering the diesel economy, I wouldn't consider this car over the GT TSI.

By the way, off topic, but if someone comes across 'that' pre-owned white Ameo DSG, almost an year old, and the price seems lucrative, during the test ride please take a full turn at some silent corner, and hear the tak-tak sound coming from the steering rack.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks