Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2017, 14:26   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post

So, is the range display limited to 340 km?
Hey mtnrajdeep, I own a GT TDI and I can confirm that on a morning tank up, I have observed a DTE of over 600kms on the MID, albeit mine is a 2014 1.6 TDI.

As far as I know, there are not a lot of changes from the previous model sans the font colour and other minor interfaces.

Do you want to try resetting the MID??
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2017, 14:39   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
So, is the range display limited to 340 km?
The DTE is auto calculated with the current fuel mileage (i guess meter 2,the long term one). So if you keep driving in City you see less DTE in the MID but as you take your car on a Highway you can the DTE increases as the fuel efficiency increases.
Try observing this you will figure it out.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2017, 10:25   #198
BHPian

I test drove the Ameo TDI a month back. The best part is the brilliant handling. Went for a pretty long drive in city traffic and on highways. It was fantastic on the highways at high speeds. Even while cornering it feels very planted.

The DSG was pretty good. The shifts are more tuned towards economy rather than fun driving. As far as manual is concerned I felt the gear stick to be a bit awkward. Felt like I was reaching for it a bit and was positioned a bit low. Or maybe it was just for me.

The engine was pretty noisy. The tire sounds also creep into the cabin but that can be resolved changing to a better set of Michelins. The rear seat is not as cramped as its made to feel when one looks at the car.

The braking was good too. The AC was not up to the mark according to me. It took a lot of time to cool and you could feel that heat. Rest all were fine too. I think the ameo does all the things pretty good rather than being exceptional in any category.

High maintenance costs, VW service and reliability experiences(my uncle owns a vento) and DSG issues put me off and went for a Verna instead.

But I must mention dealer experience was fantastic. Went to the Volkswagen Secunderabad and the entire team were very courteous. They were punctual and looked forward to selling cars unlike some other VW dealers like I read about here. There were no discounts though on ameo.

My associate said if I wanted more authentic information about Ameo I had to visit this website called Team-BHP!
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 07:48   #199

I booked my Ameo Comfortline DSG on 26th Feb. It is Silver color. I opted the 10% discount on Ex-showroom price. Delivery is expected next week. I exchanged my Celerio AMT for Ameo. I did my TD last month. The performance of 7 speed DSG is Immaculate. It managed decent cruising speeds. Which confirms good mileage in Highways. As told by few friends in this forum, I didn't felt any Turbo Lag and may the quick gear shift by the DSG might have made them feel as Turbo lag. I am planning to fix Blaupunkt Head unit with navigation, Rear view camera and rear sensor. Also Alloy from Onyx Wheels and rear video monitors for my kids. I myself arranged Insurance from Bajaj which costed only 27500/- with ZERO Depreciation against Dealer quote of Rs 34000+17500 for Zero Depreciation. Also opted for 4 years extended warranty. I will post pictures only delivery is done. Then I am from Coimbatore.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd March 2017 at 09:19. Reason: Typo
sundar04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:08   #200
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car and was hoping that by now, VW would have rolled out a TSI version of the Ameo. But alas!

So what option do I have other than the Vento tsi? I need a petrol, turbocharged, automatic sedan that is not CVT. Is the latest Skoda Rapid petrol DSG turbocharged?

I remember how VW entered the country with a 3 cylinder polo and they have come a long way since then with the addition of the GT TDI and GT TSI variants. Hence the hope that Ameo will someday get a tsi and dsg.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:53   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
So what option do I have other than the Vento tsi? I need a petrol, turbocharged, automatic sedan that is not CVT. Is the latest Skoda Rapid petrol DSG turbocharged?
Nope, neither is the Rapid Petrol AT turbocharged nor is it a DSG. It is a 1.6 NA with a six speed Torque Converter.

Ironically, I think the next Turbocharged Petrol AT is the Octavia with the 1.8 TSI.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:52   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Heartfelt thanks to Amit and Shashidhar Tuppad for sharing this valuable info:

Quote:
Hello sir,

This is concerning Volkswagen's Elite Motors dealership in Bangalore who have two MY2016 Ameos in their stock - both are TDI Highline MT variants in Blue Silk shade, one manufactured in November and the other in December. Both cars are damaged and have engine problems so a request to everyone to not buy these cars, even at any sort of attractive discounts offered by the dealership. (there's a 10% offer on that stock as far as I know)

From what we came to know, these 2 cars were received from another dealership branch. We inspected and verified the engine problems during our extensive PDI, specially during cranking up and on idle clattering.

My humble request to all buyers - please be very careful while buying any sort of discounted (up to 4 months old) or new cars in the Ameo lineup. Plenty of such damaged cars are ending up at the dealerships and anyone who will buy them unknowingly will end up regretting his/her purchase later.

Please do a clean, thorough PDI check of your selected car before committing a booking amount to it. Only when you feel that there are no unusual sounds inside the dashboard or odd sounds when cranking up the engine, or any other sort of sounds which feel out-of-place in a brand new car, then go for it, otherwise walk out.

Sir, please share this so that it will be useful for new buyers who are in the Bangalore area and have shortlisted the Volkswagen Ameo as one of their possible future purchases.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd April 2017 at 15:53.
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:23   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundar04 View Post
As told by few friends in this forum, I didn't felt any Turbo Lag and may the quick gear shift by the DSG might have made them feel as Turbo lag. I am planning to fix Blaupunkt Head unit with navigation, Rear view camera and rear sensor. Also Alloy from Onyx Wheels and rear video monitors for my kids. I myself arranged Insurance from Bajaj which costed only 27500/- with ZERO Depreciation against Dealer quote of Rs 34000+17500 for Zero Depreciation. Also opted for 4 years extended warranty. I will post pictures only delivery is done. Then I am from Coimbatore.
Interesting, because during my TD of around 7-8 kms, i did observe Turbo lag and it was a bit irritating as well. The lag in throttle input and actual output in the 1st gear was something that has to be gotton used to. On enquiring the same about the sales guy, he casually mentioned that all automatics are like that. I do not agree though.

However once on the run the gear shifting is quick. But again, i did not find any "wow" factor with the accelaration, even in sport mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am in the market for a new car and was hoping that by now, VW would have rolled out a TSI version of the Ameo. But alas!

I remember how VW entered the country with a 3 cylinder polo and they have come a long way since then with the addition of the GT TDI and GT TSI variants. Hence the hope that Ameo will someday get a tsi and dsg.
Yes a TSI is missed on the Ameo badly. Hope VW listenes.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 15:44   #204
BANNED

I was totally in shock today when I asked an SA for the Ameo D pricelist. Whoa, the German idiots have jacked up the prices of the Ameo by no less than 60K within 6 months of the launch. I have been reading news left right and center about Vento, Polo, Jetta pricing been horrendous, but Ameo takes away all the honors. This is too much of a hike and I do not buy the fact the launch price was introductory, even if it was, 10K a month since launch is beyond belief.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 21:06   #205
BHPian

Well, what was surprising is their initial prices - undercutting the Polo. I was guessing this might happen after sales pick up - and it surely has. What's a bigger surprise is that Ameo D top end at Hyderabad costs now a cool 11.8L OTR - is this really a compact sedan or a full fledged :-D

Ameo is slowly moving into Vento territory, and Vento into ~15-17L territory.
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 18:12   #206
BHPian

I spotted two Ameos with T-permit yellow board yesterday which sadly I could not click. Today I spotted an Ameo with self drive yellow on black board and was successful in clicking a picture. I think VW has accepted the lukewarm response and allowed T-segment to register.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review-img_1081.jpg  

Old 1st June 2017, 20:50   #207

Booked the Ameo Diesel in Trendline variant today as this fell into my budget. The only think that is bothering me are the 14 inch wheels. Any suggestions for wheel upgrades. Does buying the 15 inch steel rims from VW make sense as I am not ready to shell out for the alloys. The factory fit tyres are the R14 MRF's so keen on uprading them to Michelin or Bridgestone R15 if I go ahead with the wheel upgrade.
Old 3rd June 2017, 09:05   #208
BHPian

I have owned skoda Octavia and Yeti in the past. My new job requires me to crawl ~18 km within the Bangalore city every morning and evening. So decided to upgrade our Santro to something better. Had almost finalized the i10 Grand (Sports) given the special offers. I then took test drive of all cars in the segment. The Polo with its sophisticated and pliant ride quality combined with impressive high speed stability - was at a different level compared to all other car in the segment. I believe - from a comfort perspective, this quality of Polo will make me less tired after 1-2 hour. The other three reasons are - cabinet design, solid build quality and higher safety standards. The package was so much better, It did not make sense to omit Polo as a good option - only because it lacked that fun factor in the 1.2 MPI engine or because of poor legroom in rear seat. The cost of TDI was not in budget. Even in Petro, the highline was not an option due to cost. Then came an opportunity to buy a 11 month old Ameo Highline - done very less KM and still smelling new for the same price as Grand i10 Sports. Took the plunge and the car is awesome. Even though i'm used to driving high powered car, I do not feel the 1.2 MPI is as bad as many enthusiasts are making it sound. If you are not a sporty driver and you are looking for comfort after long time behind wheels, I still think Polo/Ameo with 1.2 is a better bet than the likes of Grand i10 Sports. The only negative, but only if this is the one car for family use, then the lack of rear legroom might be an issue.

Last edited by contessa : 3rd June 2017 at 09:10.
Old 14th July 2017, 02:02   #209
BHPian

My 6 year old Figo was due for an upgrade and after much consideration, booked the Ameo DSG Highline. Not much choice in the Diesel AT segment, other contenders were the Dzire & Zest. Took a test drive and was impressed by the VW 1.5 TDI engine and the DSG gearbox, just effortless. I was concerned about the DSG gearbox (DQ200) issues but VW seems to have sorted that now, the extended warranty should take care of that. Now eagerly waiting for the delivery. Should take a week or so.
lazyrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 08:31   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrider View Post
My 6 year old Figo was due for an upgrade and after much consideration, booked the Ameo DSG Highline. Not much choice in the Diesel AT segment, other contenders were the Dzire & Zest. Took a test drive and was impressed by the VW 1.5 TDI engine and the DSG gearbox, just effortless. I was concerned about the DSG gearbox (DQ200) issues but VW seems to have sorted that now, the extended warranty should take care of that. Now eagerly waiting for the delivery. Should take a week or so.
The 1.5 TDI with the DSG is the best combination I can think of and VW have done a great job plonking it in a compact sedan. Very wise decision and congrats!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks