Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 10:16   #496
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Good day everyone. Finally the dealer has accepted to install the reverse sensors free of cost. But they saying the ex showroom price of pre and post facelift are the same. I called up Nexa/Maruti support but they don't have the previous rates with them (the girl asked me to google it). All the sites have the new rates. I have been charged Rs 5,95,032 as ex showroom Chennai. Would be very helpful if anyone can give me the pre facelift price
Old 4th May 2019, 20:57   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
. Would be very helpful if anyone can give me the pre facelift price
Ask the dealer to pull show you the pre facelift price from the old invoices.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 21:39   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Would be very helpful if anyone can give me the pre facelift price
Autocar has table for Delhi prices. 4000 difference between the 2.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...79-lakh-411683
Old 8th May 2019, 12:29   #499
Senior - BHPian

Nexa Service, Electronics City (Surakshaa Car Care) in Bangalore offered me a 3 years service package for around 17K. Comes to approximately 5.6 K per year.

This includes Oil Change, Oil Filter Change, Wheel Balancing and Alignment and Labour for 20K, 30K and 40K services. AC Filter change is not included and would be additional charges.

Looks like a decent deal and I am planning to go ahead with this. Any comments/recommendations welcome. Nexa Service Electronics City has very good ratings on Google and my own experience with previous service was good and so I am planning to anyway stick with them for sometime - so hoping it works out.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 8th May 2019 at 12:31.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2019, 13:17   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Nexa Service, Electronics City (Surakshaa Car Care) in Bangalore offered me a 3 years service package for around 17K. Comes to approximately 5.6 K per year.
Does this also include Coolant and brake fluid replacement at 20k and 40k and spark plugs change at 40K?

I think even if you don't take the package, still it will cost more or less the same only. If I were in your place, I would have given it a miss.

For the dealer, its a benefit as you are tied with him in advance for the next three years with 100 percent consideration already received.

Only way I can see you are protected is against possible rise in paid service charges over the next three years.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 8th May 2019 at 13:23.
Old 8th May 2019, 18:04   #501
BHPian

I have just completed 10k KMs on Ignis Zeta AMT. Had purchased it in May last year.
Have been too lazy to update my ownership thread all this while but overall a satisfactory experience.
1. Except for <500 KMs to-fro Mumbai, rest all is within Pune city, bumper-to-bumper traffic with AC on 100% times. Driven by my wife except for Mumbai trip, and occasional trip within city when I drive.
2. Have been running on Shell normal petrol for last 7k KMs (my Ciaz runs on HP normal petrol) just to see the difference in driving, and mileage. I have not seen any noticeable difference between two fuels except for paying 2 Rs more for every liter for all these KMs
3. Third service at 10k KMs done two weeks back, and was charged for oil change and other routine checks. Total bill approx. 3200
4. Mileage has been hovering at 16.5 at tank full method. I always ask to cut off at first cut.
5. I personally find AMT very boring, but wife loves it as it reduces the driving stress. It is obviously not as smooth as CVT or DSG. The gear changes and at ascent and descent at basement parkings is very noticeable, but manageable.

So far, enjoying the car.
advaitlele is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:14   #502
Distinguished - BHPian

2 year service experience with (un)Popular Vehicles!

My family's run of not so great experiences with the Nexa brand, through the Popular group in Cochin, continues! The Popular group has the dealerships for both Maruti and Nexa here in Cochin. For the last few weeks, the Popular call centre team has been reminding me of the upcoming 24 month service that was due for May 2019. The Ignis AMT is used by my Mom and hasnt done more than 4600 kms in 2 years. Its just the daily home to hospital commuting and occassional errand runs for which the Ignis is used.

The service appointment was fixed for today and I had given clear instructions to the call centre team that the car needs to be picked up before 08:30 AM as my parents are doctors and they need to leave for work early. Despite this, the driver called up at 8:50 AM when he was some distance away and asked for directions as he was travelling by bus. Since it was too late to pick up the car today, I requested him to come tomorrow at the correct time. 10 minutes later the next driver calls asking how to reach the house. This is the first time I have heard of Nexa sending 2 different drivers to pick up one car!

The call centre people were unreachable but thanks to a SMS from Popular, I got hold of one gentleman who was from the back office and explained the situation. Since I had a mail chain with some email IDs of some Popular higher-ups from 2 years ago (details below), I picked that up and sent out a mail to them. The CRM who I interacted with then called back later and after some back and forth, found out that their assigned driver was unwell and hence a new one was assigned late. Finally they agreed to take the car today afternoon and deliver it in the evening. To add to the confusion, the call centre people called and confirmed they will take it tomorrow. Finally the car was picked up and the service advisor confirmed the list of replaceable items as per the service manual. The estimated bill amount was Rs 4,500 for the 24 month service. The service advisor confirmed that nothing has been added by him outside of what the service manual recommends. Hyundai dealerships in Cochin are just the opposite, the list of add-ons was usually longer than the list of things that the company specified to be replaced.

Jump to a year and a half year ago, the then less than 6 month old Ignis went in for the second service and one tire had a puncture the day before the service and was kept as the spare. The Popular service team said that they were unable to fix the puncture as they did not have the facilities for it I had to take the car to a local tire shop and get the nail taken out. I sent an email to Maruti regarding this which did the trick and spurred Popular into action. After lots of calls, Popular sent me an email stating that they had created the facility to handle punctures and that their advisors and mechanics were made aware of this. The CRM sent me an email confirming the third service (1 year and costing Rs 1,335) and 18 month checkup (costing Rs 1,500) would be provided free.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-4.png

We confirmed that we accepted the same over email. I did not realize at that time that the company does not mandate an 18 month checkup as part of the service booklet! It was a cunning move from the Popular team as you will see.

Today while talking to the CRM, I was told that we did not bring the car in for the 18 month checkup (we just followed the service booklet and didnt realize they pulled a fast one on us) and that they were willing to instead give some small discount on labour instead for this service I pulled up the letter from Popular and asked the CRM how they offered a 42 point checklist that isnt specified by the company in their service booklet. Finally I asked them to deduct the Rs 1,500 from this service instead which they have agreed to.

All things considered, the Nexa experience, at least in Cochin is far from par for course. You can forget a premium experience, there is nothing premium about it. I remember for one of the previous services, they had returned the car in not a very clean condition though they claimed to have washed it and I had written the same in the feedback form. I checked my phone and realized, there were at least 25 calls today just with regard to getting a simple service done. The we can throw you a small discount cause you didnt bring your car in for the 18 month checkpoint that you dont need is another blot in the Nexa experience. Our i10 that we sold before buying this Ignis was the last Hyundai in our family since we grew sick and tired of Hyundai trying to fleece us at every service. After consistently bad experiences with Nexa, this will be the last Maruti car in our family.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 15:33   #503
BHPian

The Ignis has NOT received a very favorable result in the Global NCAP. It scored a 3 stars for adult occupant protection and 1 star for child occupant protection.

Additionally, the Ignis' bodyshell was rated as unstable and incapable of withstanding further loadings.
Old 29th May 2019, 16:17   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
The Ignis has NOT received a very favorable result in the Global NCAP. It scored a 3 stars for adult occupant protection and 1 star for child occupant protection.

Additionally, the Ignis' bodyshell was rated as unstable and incapable of withstanding further loadings.
This is not surprising. With same heartect platform for all new Marutis the crash tests will not go beyond 3 stars in my opinion. That said only Brezza which is on the older platform will be the only "strong" car to consider (4 stars). Assuming Ignis a bit tightly built compared to Swift (2 stars), 3 stars are expected
Old 29th May 2019, 16:23   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

But ignis crash score (9.99) is unexpectedly better that swift (7.08). Its in the vicinity of ford figo (10.49). Had the structure been stable, i would have gone for it. Now the confusion persists.

Last edited by Dr.Abhi : 29th May 2019 at 16:25. Reason: Grammer mistake
Old 29th May 2019, 23:11   #506
BHPian

Maruti Ignis : Official Review

So, Ignis is better than Swift, when it comes to safety. But, Swift sells 3 times more than Ignis. Both are built on the same platform and the report says that the Vehicle structure is unstable.

Last edited by jaaz : 29th May 2019 at 23:13.
Old 30th May 2019, 08:30   #507
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
So, Ignis is better than Swift, when it comes to safety. But, Swift sells 3 times more than Ignis. Both are built on the same platform and the report says that the Vehicle structure is unstable.
Even though the vehicle structure is unstable, the cars are too stable in Indian market. In a democratic country, he who gets more votes rules.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 13:04   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2 year service experience with (un)Popular Vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Today while talking to the CRM, I was told that we did not bring the car in for the 18 month checkup (we just followed the service booklet and didnt realize they pulled a fast one on us) and that they were willing to instead give some small discount on labour instead for this service I pulled up the letter from Popular and asked the CRM how they offered a 42 point checklist that isnt specified by the company in their service booklet. Finally I asked them to deduct the Rs 1,500 from this service instead which they have agreed to.
Nexa managed to rectify this situation by waiving off the labour charges in totality. So the 2nd year service bill which was supposed be Rs 4,2xx (forget the exact amount as the Service Advisor told me this over the phone) came down to Rs 1,940 which was the amount for the spares and consumables. So instead of saving Rs 1,500 as per our earlier agreement with Nexa, we saved over Rs 2,000 instead. A lady from Popular Motors spoke to me a few days later in one of those calls that the dealership does to get the customer "ready and prepped" for the eventual call from the company that tracks service feedback. I explained my difficulties with Nexa and how I cannot give them a top rating for the overall service experience.

It looks like Maruti runs a really tight ship when it comes to their dealers which is great for the customer. Hyundai could learn a thing or two from Maruti in this regard!

Post the service, I drove the car for 150 kms and some of the results were surprising indeed. I will share more details shortly.
Old 31st May 2019, 21:49   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

I had my Mom's Ignis AMT with me for 24 hours during which I got to experience the car in a variety of conditions. I have driven the car for cumulatively, say, a couple of hundred kilometers before this, though it has all been in city conditions and not on the highways. I havent been a fan of the Ignis from day 1 for the following reasons
- The steering feel is appalling to put it mildly. It is absolutely disconnected from the road and I am sure those big arcade car games I played as a kid had better connected steering systems than what the Ignis offers. Try taking a turn with some speed and the car's steering feels completely lost and you actually have to keep struggling with the car to get it to hold a planted line. Drive an under powered but well weighted Fiat Punto through a bunch of corners and then jump into the Ignis to do the same. You will pull your hair out in frustration at Maruti's lack of interest in dialling in any steering feel at all. If you want your parents to have a nice, easy to drive around 100% city runabout, the Ignis might be it. Oh wait, that's exactly the use case in my family as my Mom uses it to drive to the hospital and back every day. So its an easy car for her to drive but definitely not for me!
- Maruti's AMT gearbox has been touted as democratizing automatics for the masses. It's a pain to use if you drive with anything more than a very light foot. Try and press the accelerator and the car waits like its building up turbo lag and then suddenly shifts and picks up speed while rocking you in a boat like motion. You cannot drive this car with a heavy foot unless you want to throw up your last meal. There is only one way to drive this and not have your passengers throw you out of the car and that is to drive with a very light foot. If non enthusiasts drive this car and try an overtaking move, they will go back to the showroom and say, no AMT, only manual transmission!
- The braking is super spongy and lacks feel. I didnt mention about this to the SVC when they took the car in for service and they returned it without adjusting it.
- Build quality seems slightly iffy though it does feel better than the earlier generation Hyundai i10 that my Mom owned. That was a tin can superman if I ever saw one. Im glad we sold it. The news of the 3* safety rating for the Ignis seems about right. If it scored any higher, I would question both my ability to gauge a car's safety as well as the competency of the agency doing the testing!
- Economy grade tires that squeal for mercy if you prod the accelerator in a turn. The Bridgestone Ecopia tires embarrassingly scream like a teenager in a horror flick if you try to be mildly aggressive on the throttle if the car is parked on a slope.
- It feels expensive for what it offers. Yes, its a Nexa product and all that. But in terms of car per rupee, it doesnt feel like you get a lot.

My parents and I had to head to a town 60 kms away and my Mom suggested I take them in the Ignis instead of my Dad's Figo 1.2 or my Jazz CVT. I wasnt very keen on it due to my reservations about the car but we thought we should give it a try to see how it fares on slow highways and winding two laned Kerala roads.

One thing that I realized after topping up the car on the previous day is that the trip meter A and trip meter B do not have the mileage and drive time displays separately tagged to them. Since the two trip meters have never been used in our Ignis, I reset trip meter B but realized that the mileage figures and drive time had not changed. So I checked with a few fellow TBHPians who owned Marutis and was told that the similar readings in the Baleno were actually linked to trip meter A. So on the day of the drive I reset trip meter A and then found that the values for mileage and drive time were still not reset. They are not linked to A or B. You have to reset them individually. That doesnt really make sense to me. So each time you top up fuel, you have to reset your trip meter (A or B) and the mileage calculator and the drive time calculator separately. Odd!

In my Jazz, if I reset trip meter A, the other readings including mileage linked to it get reset. If I reset trip meter B, the reading associated with B get reset. Hence the mileage calculation in A will be different from B, if they were reset at different times.

Since my Mom gets motion sickness if we are in the ghats, I had to drive slowly irrespective of which car we had taken. Add to this, the Ignis AMTs bobbing gearbox and I had to be feather light on the throttle through the drive. The super spongy braking was annoying and since my Mom is used to the current setup I didnt ask Maruti to change it at the last service. After talking to my Mom about it during the trip, she agreed it could be better and asked me to talk to the SVC guys to adjust it to give a more linear feel.

Luckily we were reaching our destination early and the traffic we encountered was very relaxed and was probably an indication of the pace of this part of the state. So there were no emergency braking scenarios or too many overtaking moves that we had to pull off. When we reached our destination, I was astounded to see the display indicating a mileage of 19.6 kmpl! Mind you, this wasnt some arrow straight boring road that we had driven through. Surely the car was being far too optimistic I said to myself while sharing the following picture with some fellow TBHPians.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-20190530_102114_hdr.jpg

On the way back, we had to turn up the AC through the drive and there was more traffic to contend with. Again, I had to keep a very gentle foot on the throttle. On some bumpy sections, I had to slow down a bit as the car doesnt swallow bad roads like say a Fiat Punto and makes the occupants feel uncomfortable. We encountered a lot more traffic as well so there was an impact on the mileage once we got back into the city. The music system was playing at a low volume and is fine for basic use or listening to the radio. The display is archaic and makes scrolling through albums to find songs a real pain. You are better off just playing the music and letting the songs play one by one. Overall my parents were quite comfortable with the car journey and thanks to my saint like self control over the throttle, we avoided the head bobbing all day. Sure, we could have taken the competent and spacious Jazz instead and done the same trip a lot faster without having to worry about the the ride quality or the puke inducing AMT gearbox but my parents were finally happy that there is a car that makes me drive slower (and a lot closer to their speeds!). The Ignis AMT has successfully tamed me as a driver

I topped up the car from the same IOCL petrol bunk as I had done the previous day and calculated the mileage. A quite surprising 17.17 kmpl from the Ignis AMT which was very impressive! I cant remember the last time the Jazz gave me such figures though to be fair, I havent babied the Honda Jazz with a similar driving style.

After 150 kms in 24 hours, I still dont like the little Maruti. I really cant think of doing the 550 km drive from Cochin to Bangalore in this car on those wide 6 lane highways as the gearbox would drive me insane. I cant even think of taking it to say Valparai which has twisties in plenty because the wonky steering will make me want to leave the car there and trek back home. I really cant think of using it in the city because I cant overtake anybody without the slow AMT making me regret it. But that's me. My Mom seems to like her Ignis AMT and honestly, thats all that matters!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 08:32   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I had my Mom's Ignis AMT with me for 24 hours during which I got to experience the car in a variety of conditions.
Good observations. Many of your observations are correct.

The Ecopia range of tires are I think are the starting range in Bridgestone and not much to talk about. They are just about OK for City driving.

Initial few hundred kilometers I also felt frustrated with the behavior of the AMT module but one gets used to it. Of course, we all want Maruti to come up with a better AMT. Now that the new Santro has set the benchmark for AMTs its time Maruti responded with something worthy.

Compared to the Honda, I too felt odd in terms of the mechanism of the Average Fuel economy meter and the Trip Meter not having any link and understand what you mean. But those buttons that Maruti has provided in the Ignis for trip meter reset etc as against a ugly stalk in even the Honda City is something worthy to call out.

The cornering issues I believe can be easily improved by going in for 195/60R15 Tires. I have not upgraded as the use case for Ignis is within City and it is serving its purpose well with OEM tires.

Get the brakes fixed at the service center - I have had no issues with braking in the Ignis - the brakes are excellent and as sharp as my other car which is the Honda City.

Also another noteworthy aspect of the Ignis is the highway stability. Although I have used it on the highway very less - the highway stability and the planted feeling at 3 digit speeds is excellent for a car of this size and high ground clearance. And yes the mileage is decent for an AMT - on a highway trip from Bangalore to Hassan I drove at 110 kph consistently and the car returned a mileage of 16.75 kpl measured tankful to tankful. In Bangalore city traffic I am seeing around 13.5 kpl.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 1st June 2019 at 08:35.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks