Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2019, 09:11   #511
BANNED

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Initial few hundred kilometers I also felt frustrated with the behavior of the AMT module but one gets used to it.
Get used to is a phrase nowadays used very often. Hard clutch, vague steering, AMT, spongy brakes etc. yes we all get used to these in the course of time. Get used to should be in scenarios which involves an invention, because we have not experienced it before. For every innovation (on an already existing technique) which involves the parameters cost effectiveness, better maintenance etc. should not be having difference in usability. People are getting used to AMT for some years now, if Hyundai can provide a comparatively better solution, as you mentioned Maruti also should, as they have longer experience with AMTs. May be such an investment does not help in increasing returns for them as their sales are not based on the AMT usability or effectiveness.

Note : I hope the electrical actuators will be cheaper than mechanical ones.

Last edited by pavi : 1st June 2019 at 09:12. Reason: Correcting the quote end tag
Old 1st June 2019, 09:14   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Compared to the Honda, I too felt odd in terms of the mechanism of the Average Fuel economy meter and the Trip Meter not having any link and understand what you mean. But those buttons that Maruti has provided in the Ignis for trip meter reset etc as against a ugly stalk in even the Honda City is something worthy to call out.
Thanks for sharing your observations vsrivatsa. I think as a simple, functional city runabout, the Ignis does a good job, nothing more and nothing less. I agree that the nice buttons that Maruti has provided in the Ignis to work the display is so much better than the Honda's eyesore talk that is from 1990s cars. Sometimes Honda gets these little things so wrong.

That reminds me of the bonnet release and fuel cap release switches on the Ignis. It looks like Maruti learnt some worst practices from other manufacturers in this regard!

Quote:
The cornering issues I believe can be easily improved by going in for 195/60R15 Tires. I have not upgraded as the use case for Ignis is within City and it is serving its purpose well with OEM tires.
The same is the case with us as well.

Quote:
Also another noteworthy aspect of the Ignis is the highway stability. Although I have used it on the highway very less - the highway stability and the planted feeling at 3 digit speeds is excellent for a car of this size and high ground clearance. And yes the mileage is decent for an AMT - on a highway trip from Bangalore to Hassan I drove at 110 kph consistently and the car returned a mileage of 16.75 kpl measured tankful to tankful. In Bangalore city traffic I am seeing around 13.5 kpl.
I am yet to take the car onto long straight highways so look forward to experiencing the stability of the car. Sometimes I feel that it looks like a big go kart but that feeling doesnt translate to reality once behind the wheel because of the vague steering. The mileage figures that you are getting are really good for both city and highway driving. I will try to check the mileage from now to see how good it is for my Mom's daily commute.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 10:30   #513
KMT
BHPian

Our Ignis AMT has clocked 30kms.
It is unstable at speed, it has soft suspension in front, its clutch judders, and its very flimsy. Only positive is that it consistently gives 19kmpl+ on the MID.

I wish I had got a Honda Jazz instead.
Now with 4 stars at ncap the Amaze also is a viable option.
KMT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:16   #514
BHPian

Took the Ignis for a 300 kms round trip on the highway and got some more feedback.

The car is definitely not stable once you cross 120 kph. Upto 120 kph I feel fairly confident in the car but the steering which I actually like using in the city it becomes bothersome on the highway. Changing lanes at 120 kph+ feels scary as you get very little feedback from the car and you don't really feel like you are in total control anymore.

In a way its good as it won't encourage me to speed :P I took a trip in my dads Ford Freestyle and that car is rock solid at 140+ kph and you can feel so in so much control when cornering but that car has its drawbacks and I wouldn't prefer it over my Ignis in the city.

I don't have the AMT so can't comment on that but on the twisty two lane highway to Malshej Ghat I actually had fun driving the Ignis. I couldn't push beyond 80+ kmh on those roads and the Ignis felt at home on that highway. The tyres don't have that good grip but since my max usage is in the city I don't need to change them as of now. Will wait till they wear out.

So to sum up the Ignis is not a good highway car IMO. Its fine in the city and for short highway runs but I wouldn't want to take this car for any uber long drives. But for city commuting this car is a gem to drive. Light steering to manuvere through traffic, excellent low end torque for pottering around at low speeds and you get very decent mileage. I constantly get 16 kpl+ (with mix of highway and city driving) which is better than any of my older cars like the Wagon R and the Micra.

For the price I paid for my Ignis (6l otr for the Zeta petrol manual) I simply don't believe there is a better car. If you spend more then for sure lots of options do exist.
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:45   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Took delivery of Ignis - Zeta AMT two weeks back. The vehicle will primarily be used by my mom, who been driving an Eeco.

Compared to Eeco, AMT + power steering combination is makes it easy in city traffic. Since seating position in Eeco is high, mom wanted a new car too which had similar seating. Hence zeroed in on Ignis. Though not as high as Eeco, it felt the best among the lot. Wagon R too was among consideration. However, dropped that after initial price + engine considerations.

Drove car around 100 KMs and here are my feedback on the same-
- Engine is super smooth and silent.
- AMT does not do any justice to the engine.
- Reversing is not that easy affair thanks to restricted rear visibility.
- AC is superb.
- Doors open wide making it easier for getting in & out.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 19:08   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
if Hyundai can provide a comparatively better solution, as you mentioned Maruti also should, as they have longer experience with AMTs.
Hyundai's AMT is a homegrown one where they invested in their own R&D Efforts. Maruti's AMT is outsourced to Magneti Marelli - so until that company which provides them the AMT does something, they have nothing of their own. Tata too is dependent on the same company for their AMT module for the Tiago, Nexon etc. So until this Magneti Marelli company comes up with something better - this is all we get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
it has soft suspension in front, its clutch judders, and its very flimsy. Only positive is that it consistently gives 19kmpl+ on the MID
I am surprised to hear "Soft suspension" - I have always felt the suspension to be on the firmer side compared to Hyundai's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
The car is definitely not stable once you cross 120 kph. Upto 120 kph I feel fairly confident in the car but the steering which I actually like using in the city it becomes bothersome on the highway. Changing lanes at 120 kph+ feels scary as you get very little feedback from the car and you don't really feel like you are in total control anymore.
I meant the stability in terms of speeds upto 120 kph. I would not take a car this lightweight beyond that speed.

Here is quoting from the Official Review and I agree with what is said:
Quote:
The high speed stability of the Ignis is good. It can cruise at 100 km/h all day long without feeling nervous. Of course, it does not have the rock solid feel of a VW Polo, but it is by no means unstable. It feels well planted and expressway joints will not affect its composure. Given the low kerb weight of the car, we were pleasantly surprised by its high speed behavior.

In terms of handling, grip levels are good and the car can change direction very easily. While it is a tall car, body roll is under control and the overall road manners are pretty good. The car behaves as intended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
For the price I paid for my Ignis (6l otr for the Zeta petrol manual) I simply don't believe there is a better car. If you spend more then for sure lots of options do exist.
Agree - its a competent car for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Drove car around 100 KMs and here are my feedback on the same-
- Engine is super smooth and silent.
- AMT does not do any justice to the engine.
- Reversing is not that easy affair thanks to restricted rear visibility.
- AC is superb.
- Doors open wide making it easier for getting in & out.
Congrats on the new car! I had to top up the AC gas recently - it did run out AC gas quite soon although the service guy said he found no leakage.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 09:47   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Ignis likely to get a face-lift when launched as BSVI model.

Rendered.

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-1.jpg

Quote:
the Maruti Suzuki Ignis facelift will get an updated front fascia. To enhance the exterior of the hatchback sold from Nexa dealerships, the company will revise the grille section by adding a U-shaped ring design just as in the Vitara Brezza. The lower bumper will also gain a silver skid plate. Subtle tweaks can be expected on the rear end as well
Quote:
Subtle tweaks can be expected on the rear end as well.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 10:20   #518
Senior - BHPian

The car does not need a face lift. It needs a butt lift. The rear is sore eyes inducing and the only weak point for this otherwise decent hatchback. I like the interiors of the car and it feels modern and looks like a mini SUV/CUV with it's better than other hatches ground clearance. If only it was designed better at the rear this would be have been in my garage today. I hope they git rid of the large black plastic rear bumper and make it look more conventional.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th June 2019 at 10:21.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 13:19   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I hope they git rid of the large black plastic rear bumper and make it look more conventional.
Hi Sumeet, I had the Ignis for 1.7 years and have been rear ended by two wheelers 3 times and by a car once, nothing major though. Trust me, the large black bumper absorbs impact very well and does not show any signs of wear at all. In our mad Bombay traffic it is a real boon.

If it would have our Civic, I am sure the bumper would have broken from the side clips and looked terrible due to the paint coming off.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 09:12   #520
BHPian

SRK designs - Rendered image of the new Ignis

Maruti Ignis : Official Review-img_20190625_091106.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 13:49   #521
Senior - BHPian

Completed 10k kilometers on my 9 month old Ignis Zeta MT. Even though the car was bought for city use, somehow 7k kms in the 10k mentioned above was on the highways. 2 Delhi - Kolkata round trips and around. The car is fantastic in word. One of my best buying decisions.

The car performed so well on my first trip that I took it again instead of the Civic which was supposed to be there as my highway car. I did Kolkata Delhi non stop as well in 22 hours. The only catch is, I had swapped the tyres to 195/60/R15 Yoko Earth 1's within 10 mins of taking delivery. I cannot compare to the Ecopias which came with the car, because I drove on them for 100m only. However, what I can definitely say is that I have never ever felt any nervousness at high, very high or very very high speeds. Brilliant handling around corners for a tall boy and amazing grip. Even the ABS doesn't kick in during panic braking from 80-90 kmph. I would definitely recommend upsizing your tyres to 195s especially if you will be taking the car out to the highways. You won't regret it.
Altocumulus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:05   #522
BHPian

Facelift Ignis might look like this,
it's like maruti started dental treatment at M&M's dentist

Pic credit GaadiWaadi
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-2019marutisuzukiignis1068x601.jpg  

Last edited by gjnnbagal : 2nd July 2019 at 08:31.
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:26   #523
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
Facelift Ignis might look like this,
Whatever cosmetic changes they do is fine, but not having a stable structure even for a Nexa offering is something of a concern. So their premium offering is not equal to even other manufacturers standard offerings. Then what is the case with Maruti normal/Arena offerings. But still they will survive here due to the name plate ‘Maruti’.
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:33   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Completed 10k kilometers on my 9 month old Ignis Zeta MT. Even though the car was bought for city use, somehow 7k kms in the 10k mentioned above was on the highways. 2 Delhi - Kolkata round trips and around. The car is fantastic in word. One of my best buying decisions.

The car performed so well on my first trip that I took it again instead of the Civic which was supposed to be there as my highway car. I did Kolkata Delhi non stop as well in 22 hours. The only catch is, I had swapped the tyres to 195/60/R15 Yoko Earth 1's within 10 mins of taking delivery. I cannot compare to the Ecopias which came with the car, because I drove on them for 100m only. However, what I can definitely say is that I have never ever felt any nervousness at high, very high or very very high speeds. Brilliant handling around corners for a tall boy and amazing grip. Even the ABS doesn't kick in during panic braking from 80-90 kmph. I would definitely recommend upsizing your tyres to 195s especially if you will be taking the car out to the highways. You won't regret it.
Matches my observations too. I have easily done speeds up to 140 on good roads without any nervousness. Tyres are upgraded to 195 section and this helps a lot. Steering feed back is poor compared to old Maruti cars and you really don’t get the go cart feeling. Brakes are good. Tyre noise and wind noise is irritating at high speeds. Suspension though a bit stiff to my liking is tuned for stability at high speeds and it shows. Overall it’s a good car and you can safely take it to highways.K series is a fantastic engine once it opens up.
Some how less weight is not reflected in the overall stability of the car.maruti has compromised on NVH and that shows. The cabin is not well insulated and it is felt. Even though its called premium it fails to give that feeling.
Old 17th August 2019, 07:45   #525
Senior - BHPian

As far as safety is concerned, Ignis is barebones, I think. Here's a screen shot of the Ignis brochure: No airbags, ABS/EBD... Is this true: owners kindly confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ignis : Official Review-ignis-safety.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks