Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2018, 08:30   #421
BHPian

Re: Maruti Ignis : Official Review

HI
I purchased Ignis AMT Delta, last week, as as pointed by many persons the Return to centre action is not eager.
Prospective buyers should not take it as a blocker or drop point.

The Gear shifts are acceptable not much noise or jerk is there, and you can manage bumper to bumper traffic, inclines, hill holds with help of MANUAL mode and hand brake with little practice.

MSIL has programmed the gear shifts on speeds keeping in mind fuel efficiency and Not the engine longevity. 1 and 2nd gear speeds are perfect.
3rd, 4th and 5th gear are prematurely engaged by around 4kms/hour.

Also while using MANUAL mode, the downshift allowed by car ECU seems faulty for 3rd to 2nd gear, due too which engine is thrown into higher RPM all of a sudden.

Regarding Clutch, the clutch control by ECU is definitely not intelligent and seamless as manual transmission, but its OK for now, but MSIL can ask for more Clutch positions and more intelligent control in future AMT units.
That said the clutch replacement period may be 2 to 3 times as compared to Manual trannys. I predict clutch change requirement around 20,000 kms. Considering the efforts and hassle saved on clutch pedals, I think the cost of replacement of Clutch & Pressure plate is not much.

The low end torque seemed less than Santro xing, my previous car.

Thanks
Lightning2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 09:42   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
We got a Ignis Zeta AMT home this Christmas.
Hi deetjohn! My heartiest congratulations to you. I am one of the very few who actually love the design of the Ignis. Yes, including the rear! I think it looks funky and cool. The Ignis looks the best in this silver/grey shade although I saw a unique blue colored Ignis today morning which looked good as well, must be a new color.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm looking to replace my Figo with an AT so that the wife can start driving. I checked out the Santro but was not particularly impressed with it. I haven't test driven it though. I'm not a fan of AMT at all but considering my budget of INR 7L, I guess I am not in a position to choose. As I've mentioned, I like the Ignis and if you don't mind, would like to ask some questions -

1) What was the OTR, if you don't mind me asking? I believe in buying the top variants of a car but I cannot fathom an Ignis at INR 9L!

2) Can you retrofit the LED headlamps from the Alpha to the Sigma/Delta without any modifications?

3) I've driven a previous gen Dzire AMT and absolutely hated it. It felt like a goblin or an elf was below the car and was changing the gears with a loud thud! Is it the same in the Ignis as well? I am yet to TD the cars in my list (Ignis, Santro, Tiago).

4) Knowing you have great knowledge and taste in cars (you own the Fiesta , hope you still have it), I'm pretty sure there was a strong reason for you to choose the Ignis. Could you tell me what stood out the most in the Ignis over the rest?
Porschefire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 14:53   #423
BHPian

Update on my ignis zeta MT@15000km

Adding to my previous log @10000km here are few observations which might help fellow bhpians who are considering ignis.
Recently I had a long trip of around 1200 km with full luggage and 4 passengers(2 kids).Based on that I am penning the below points.

Speeds on highways were easily maintained at 130 km/h.The engine has freed up and revs nicely upto 6k rpm without any stress. Speeds were in the range of 80 -140 on highways and there was no protest from engine or suspension. It was smooth and stable

Engine is an absolute gem in terms of refinement and power delivery. The only thing is that one should know how to treat a k series to get power out of it. It’s getting better all the way. The power starts building up after 3k rpm.Till then its sedate.3rd gear above 4k rpm is real fun. Sedate or fast, the engine easily accommodates both ways of driving.

Mileage is 15.5 km/l with reading showing 16.4 km.With stock tires and average speed of 60 I feel it should be close 18km/l real-time for MT.

High speed handling is superb. The car inspires confidence in you even at 130 km/h(tyres have been upgraded to 195 yoko).The straight line stability is really good and at the same time you can move around like a go kart. It’s tight and chuckable and never makes you feel it’s a tallboy. Overtaking is a breeze with quick progress across the gears.Ghats are extremely fun to drive with the high revving nature, clean visibility, tight handling and good braking.

Dimensions and clean visibility helps you to handle it with much ease on congested roads too. Good for city and village roads. Minimal gear changes are required as it easily picks speed in any gear. Second gear is punchy enough to conquer Bangalore speed breakers.

Steering is light but upgraded tires helped to add some weight and is ok at high speeds, but feedback leaves lot be desired.

Ride quality is has improved a lot but the underlying stiffness can be felt. The balance between ride and handling is really good. You will forgive Suzuki for the slight stiffness at low speeds when you are cruising above 100 on highway with the excellent handling on offer. Still I would have a preferred a more supple ride and a lower GC.. But nothing much to complain.( I am managing the ride quality with lower tire pressures).

Space is good enough for a small family of four people .Boot space is also quite good and layout is efficient.Interiors are not much to my liking, especially the dashboard layout and design and positioning of Audio console. But design ergonomics are good.

Noise is a matter of concern for .Tire noise above 80 is intrusive and I think yokos are the culprit here. Slight Wind noise is also felt above 100.Did a 3m undercoating recently. Minor reduction is observed. Awaiting for tips to resolve these two issues if within limited budget.Otherwise to ignore.

With the current trends of discounts offered I feel ignis is value for money. Looks slowly grow on you and if you upgrade the rubber its looks better and stand out in the crowd. Honestly I find it better than swift as an overall package (personal opinion). Also the feed backs from friends and relatives using it is also positive (AMT versions most of them).

Last edited by shebin : 31st December 2018 at 14:58.
shebin is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 15:09   #424
KMT
BHPian

Hi shebin what tyre upzize did you go for?

I too have a Zeta AMT and its almost due for new tyres.
Old 31st December 2018, 18:53   #425
BHPian

hi,

I went for Yokohama earth-1 series 195/60.The steering will weigh up a bit more and i found it to be good while doing speeds.Comfort is also good.But Tyre noise is more compared to stock.Try Michelin if budget allows,to prevent Tyre noise.

Last edited by shebin : 31st December 2018 at 18:59.
shebin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 10:34   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Hi deetjohn! My heartiest congratulations to you. I am one of the very few who actually love the design of the Ignis. Yes, including the rear! I think it looks funky and cool. The Ignis looks the best in this silver/grey shade although I saw a unique blue colored Ignis today morning which looked good as well, must be a new color.
Thank You and a very happy New Year Porschefire!

Yes, I love the Ignis inside out. Especially the rear three-quarters. I think the front end is a little bland in comparison - especially with that gaping slit between the bonnet and the grille. I have painted all the chrome bits gloss black and it looks much better now.

The color you saw must be the new Nexa blue. Yes, it is much better than the old Tinsel blue, but to me, grey looks the best. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
I've mentioned elsewhere that I'm looking to replace my Figo with an AT so ...... I like the Ignis and if you don't mind, would like to ask some questions -

1) What was the OTR, if you don't mind me asking? I believe in buying the top variants of a car but I cannot fathom an Ignis at INR 9L!

2) Can you retrofit the LED headlamps from the Alpha to the Sigma/Delta without any modifications?

3) I've driven a previous gen Dzire AMT and absolutely hated it. It felt like a goblin or an elf was below the car and was changing the gears with a loud thud! Is it the same in the Ignis as well? I am yet to TD the cars in my list (Ignis, Santro, Tiago).

4) Knowing you have great knowledge and taste in cars (you own the Fiesta , hope you still have it), I'm pretty sure there was a strong reason for you to choose the Ignis. Could you tell me what stood out the most in the Ignis over the rest?
1) We picked up the Zeta. There are some good discounts on the car now. We got ours for 6.7 OTR including Maruti insurance which felt quite steep at 31k.

2) Should be possible! Really not a fan of LED + DRL as most cars come with those nowadays. Knowing the premium Alpha commands, I think the BCM might also be different. Not worth the swap if you ask me. You should pick the Alpha instead. It gets that absolutely wicked ACC and those toggle buttons - I badly wanted those! + the touch screen as well. The HU in Zeta looks pathetic in comparison. But you cannot get the Alpha in Grey - that logic totally beats me.

3) AMT is a compromise! No two ways about it. Based on my experience, I would rate AT units for city use in the following way: 1) Torque Converter 2) CVT 3) DSG... 6) AMT.

In the Ignis, the clunk when the unit shifts from 1st to 2nd makes me cringe at times. All other shifts are fine and totally manageable if you stimulate a bit using the A pedal. The downshifts are also much smoother thankfully.

4) Yes, the Fiesta is very much there. We have now moved closer to my daughter's school + my office, so the running has come down a lot. Just crossed 60k last month. But my wife drives a bit nowadays ~ about 40 KM up and down daily inside the city. So, good FE is an absolute necessity. And Ignis delivers that. The TD cars here showed an average of 14.5 kmpl whenever I tried it. And ours is also showing about 15 kmpl after clocking almost 500 KM after delivery now. It can only improve further after first service.

The car which came really close was Micra CVT. The Nissan got a better drive + ride compared to the Ignis. Also, I totally dig that superb all black Euro interior. But it is so costly with the base variant at 7 lakhs. The variant I wanted - the XV - is almost 1.5 lakhs more. Got too many unnecessary toys. I was not willing to spend so much on a Nissan nowadays. I might have gone in for the XL-O had it got a rear wiper at least. I somehow cannot digest a hatchback without one. Its an OCD I wish I didn't have!

Drove the Santro also quite a bit before booking the Ignis. Loved the interior fit + finish. And the electronic AMT unit is also superior to the AGS. But the engine is weak in comparison. It was really struggling to put the power down when the going got tough - inclines, sudden acceleration etc. And its so costly. Was just 50k less for the Sportz AMT compared to Ignis Zeta AMT. It really didn't make any sense for a very marginal improvement in shift quality and letting go of the amazing K12M. Besides, it is missing many essential features - seat belt pre-tensioner, passenger airbag, rear wiper, alloys etc. Hyundai reads the market so well - so get a touchscreen + rear AC vents etc. instead. But those do not float my boat. And the new Santro looks really weird on road. But I guess it will sell more and should hold better resale value as well in our skewed marked.

Guess, I just blabbered quite a bit here. LOL In short, we picked the Ignis for: 1) the way it looks - especially that rear - I just love it. 2) the kit - its got all essentials and some more. Ignis even got two smart keys just like our Ford. 3) the superb K12M - I love it and I am not going to buy a diesel ever again. 4) the space inside - both at the front + rear. And with the B pillar pushed forward, its damn easy to get inside the rear without twisting ones foot so much. Makes ingress/ egress so effortless and its a proper tall boy - perfect for city use 5) the price after discounts + FE felt good value to me.

That said, I would have stood first in queue had Nexa released an Ignis 1.2 CVT for about 60k more. Anyways, the choice is very limited still in our market and we have to make do with what we have. Have fun shopping!
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2019, 11:05   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guess, I just blabbered quite a bit here. LOL In short, we picked the Ignis for: 1) the way it looks - especially that rear - I just love it. 2) the kit - its got all essentials and some more. Ignis even got two smart keys just like our Ford. 3) the superb K12M - I love it and I am not going to buy a diesel ever again. 4) the space inside - both at the front + rear. And with the B pillar pushed forward, its damn easy to get inside the rear without twisting ones foot so much. Makes ingress/ egress so effortless and its a proper tall boy - perfect for city use 5) the price after discounts + FE felt good value to me.
You haven't blabbered at all! You've put down your decision making process perfectly. In fact I feel this post is a must read for anyone comparing Santro and Ignis. Perfectly agree with everything you said about the advantages of Ignis over Santro. Except for the looks. I like neither of them
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 11:02   #428
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, in our ignis, the LCD display on the right side of the instrument cluster (information display) lights up in all Red when we go over bad roads or even make a head turn or shift. Is this normal? Went through the manual, but couldn't find anything.
Old 8th January 2019, 11:06   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks, in our ignis, the LCD display on the right side of the instrument cluster (information display) lights up in all Red when we go over bad roads or even make a head turn or shift. Is this normal? Went through the manual, but couldn't find anything.
Probably the boot door is not closed properly. If it is closed then the door switch is playing up.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:57   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Probably the boot door is not closed properly. If it is closed then the door switch is playing up.
I don't think this is a door issue - the whole instrument cluster lights up, not a door open indicator. And it happens only when I'm going over really bad sections or a tight corner. Earlier I thought it was some safety indicator wrt the suspension but the absence of any info makes me rethink on this; and hence the query.
Old 9th January 2019, 09:39   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this is a door issue - the whole instrument cluster lights up, not a door open indicator. And it happens only when I'm going over really bad sections or a tight corner.
Okay. That's puzzling!

I have seen the MID turn red only when a door was ajar. But you are right, the MID did show a warning for the specific door (or boot lid) along with that.

What about the bonnet? Is it also graphically represented in the MID if its open?
Old 9th January 2019, 09:44   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What about the bonnet? Is it also graphically represented in the MID if its open?
Nothing specific pointed out. But I didn't pay attention as I could clearly relate to the cause of the lighting up, as I thought it was a valid feature. Since I can recreate the issue, I'll try to take a video and post it here. Meanwhile a trip to the service center beckons I guess.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 10:30   #433
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think this is a door issue - the whole instrument cluster lights up, not a door open indicator. And it happens only when I'm going over really bad sections or a tight corner. Earlier I thought it was some safety indicator wrt the suspension but the absence of any info makes me rethink on this; and hence the query.
The door switch may be faulty. In a bad stretch due to jerking the switch may momentarily lose the contacts between them and throw the door open warning.
In my case the boot was closed but not locked, I was not getting any door open warning while standstill. But while in movement due to jerks the switch was losing contact and the MID was turning up all in red.
Old 9th January 2019, 11:05   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
The door switch may be faulty
But while in movement due to jerks the switch was losing contact and the MID was turning up all in red.
Ok - let me still get the video of it; I guess you can comment if the red lighting is the same that you experienced.

On a side note, I'm looking at putting up a rear camera and sensors on the car; the service center is quoting a 14k + taxes for the IRVM based setup.

Any other alternatives (after market etc)? Any of you guys went down this route?
Old 9th January 2019, 11:25   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok - let me still get the video of it; I guess you can comment if the red lighting is the same that you experienced.
If the Door switch is faulty, you can keep the Cabin light in DOOR position while driving and check if this lights up each time you see the cluster go bonkers.

This will be a simple way to find out if the Door switch is causing the issue or not without having to fiddle with the door switch.

Regarding your other query on Reverse Camera and Sensor set-up, that would be the typical cost the accessories section of the show room would be quoting, which is usually higher than competitive rates you get the same stuff for outside. But then, unless you know a good accessory shop outside, better to get this done at the show room itself.

In fact, if you have time to spare, evaluate options to make it look OE - Fit an IRVM with LCD display that comes as OE for quite a few cars in the MSIL line-up, an OE camera that is fitted onto a hole drilled on the bumper but sits above your rear licence plate etc. But as I said, you will need to spend some time on this to research. Or else, go ahead and get it done at the Show room itself.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks