Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 08:57   #3961

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Hi everyone,

Happy Diwali!

Finally took delivery of my Compass Petrol AT 5th Anniversary last Saturday. Will post a detailed review soon but here are my initial thoughts:

- Overall build quality and premium-ness is fantastic, it really feels like you are sitting in a 40L+ car.
- Ride and manoeuvrability is great, the steering is light (but not too light) at slow speeds and gradually stiffens up once you go over 50kmph
- 10inch infotainment screen is a breeze to use, the placement and size of the screen is just perfect. I’ve been using Wireless AppleCarplay and it’s been a seamless experience so far.
- The non branded 6 speaker system is great as well, I am no audiophile so it works just fine for me. Personally I couldn’t make a out a big difference between this and the Alpine system you get in the S variant.

I have noticed a couple concerns that I’ll be addressing with the dealer post Diwali holidays.
- The left side fenders don’t seem to be fitted properly, I may have missed this during PDI and delivery. They seem to have come off from one of the sockets.
- The auto start/stop function has not worked for me since I took delivery. I know that the system in the Jeeps work based on a couple of factors like the AC settings and so on but I’ve tried everything and haven’t had any luck. Any recommendations here would be appreciated.
- The guys at Landmark Mumbai informed me that there’s no run in period for the car. I find that hard to believe. Is there any standard that is to be followed? I got the car with 67kms on the ODO and it’s currently at 105km.

Thanks so much for the support and you’ll be hearing more from me on this thread soon
saketsomani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 01:07   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketsomani View Post
Hi everyone,

Happy Diwali!

Finally took delivery of my Compass Petrol AT 5th Anniversary last Saturday. Will post a detailed review soon but here are my initial thoughts:

- Overall build quality and premium-ness is fantastic, it really feels like you are sitting in a 40L+ car.
- Ride and manoeuvrability is great, the steering is light (but not too light) at slow speeds and gradually stiffens up once you go over 50kmph
- 10inch infotainment screen is a breeze to use, the placement and size of the screen is just perfect. I’ve been using Wireless AppleCarplay and it’s been a seamless experience so far.
- The non branded 6 speaker system is great as well, I am no audiophile so it works just fine for me. Personally I couldn’t make a out a big difference between this and the Alpine system you get in the S variant.

I have noticed a couple concerns that I’ll be addressing with the dealer post Diwali holidays.
- The left side fenders don’t seem to be fitted properly, I may have missed this during PDI and delivery. They seem to have come off from one of the sockets.
- The auto start/stop function has not worked for me since I took delivery. I know that the system in the Jeeps work based on a couple of factors like the AC settings and so on but I’ve tried everything and haven’t had any luck. Any recommendations here would be appreciated.
- The guys at Landmark Mumbai informed me that there’s no run in period for the car. I find that hard to believe. Is there any standard that is to be followed? I got the car with 67kms on the ODO and it’s currently at 105km.

Thanks so much for the support and you’ll be hearing more from me on this thread soon

Congratulations and Happy Diwali to you too.

There is a recommened break in distance for the engine.

I am quoting from the manual (Page 139 of the manual [Page 140 in a PDF reader])

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided". I followed the chart depicting recommened upshift and downshift speed

For the auto start/stop function, please request that you navigate the instrument display during your drive and check the status.

1. Auto start/stop status should be "ready" for the system to engage.
2. If the system does not engage, you should see why. I've noticed the following:

2.A. Steering wheel is turned
2.B. Cabin is being cooled/warmed
2.C. DEF regeneration is engaged

An excellent way to test the system would be to go down an empty road (I am not sure where you reside in Mumbai, but marine drive, worli or palm beach road are good options) - go above 30 km/h and slow down the using breaks until 10 km/h after which let traction do its thing - I have noticed the auto start/stop system engage once the car is in neutral, the clutch is not engaged and speed goes below 3 km/h. Since I own a manual transmission one, I would need to find out if you'd have to shift out of a drive or not. Sorry. Link to the manual
parthdmaniar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 19:39   #3963

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
Congratulations and Happy Diwali to you too.

There is a recommened break in distance for the engine.

I am quoting from the manual (Page 139 of the manual [Page 140 in a PDF reader])

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided". I followed the chart depicting recommened upshift and downshift speed

For the auto start/stop function, please request that you navigate the instrument display during your drive and check the status.

1. Auto start/stop status should be "ready" for the system to engage.
2. If the system does not engage, you should see why. I've noticed the following:

2.A. Steering wheel is turned
2.B. Cabin is being cooled/warmed
2.C. DEF regeneration is engaged

An excellent way to test the system would be to go down an empty road (I am not sure where you reside in Mumbai, but marine drive, worli or palm beach road are good options) - go above 30 km/h and slow down the using breaks until 10 km/h after which let traction do its thing - I have noticed the auto start/stop system engage once the car is in neutral, the clutch is not engaged and speed goes below 3 km/h. Since I own a manual transmission one, I would need to find out if you'd have to shift out of a drive or not. Sorry. Link to the manual
Thanks for this, really helpful. I was able to figure out the start/ stop as well. It seems that it only comes on if the AC temperature is on or above 22.5 and fan speed on or below 2 and the car has to be in ‘drive’.

However unfortunately I spoke too soon about the build quality and yesterday I noticed that there’s a rattling sound coming from the left rear door. I know this is a known issue, has anyone been able to resolve it? I saw a video on YouTube that showed it was a loose bolt in the boot, but I don’t think it’s that. It gets loud when I hit a pothole or rumble strips at speed but other than that it’s barely noticeable with the music on. Nonetheless it’s irritating to have in a 5 day old car.
Old 26th October 2022, 20:20   #3964
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this, really helpful. I was able to figure out the start/ stop as well. It seems that it only comes on if the AC temperature is on or above 22.5 and fan speed on or below 2 and the car has to be in ‘drive’.

However unfortunately I spoke too soon about the build quality and yesterday I noticed that there’s a rattling sound coming from the left rear door. I know this is a known issue, has anyone been able to resolve it? I saw a video on YouTube that showed it was a loose bolt in the boot, but I don’t think it’s that. It gets loud when I hit a pothole or rumble strips at speed but other than that it’s barely noticeable with the music on. Nonetheless it’s irritating to have in a 5 day old car.
Air conditioning and the auto start/stop:
There is an important note about the AC and how auto start/stop works. Here is what I've observed:

1. If the AC is set to auto and I have set the temperature - unless i keep it below 19C, the auto start/stop works as desired. I have never driven the car at 19C for too long, so I would wonder if the function would work as expected if the cabin was cooled enough.
2. If the AC is set on manual mode and the fan is below six, the auto start/stop function works as desired.

An essential section in the manual details how using AC on full automatic is the best option. That was new to me.

Rattling sound on the left-hand side
That is unfortunate, and I do have a similar sound. Here are my questions:

1. Does the sound occur continuously? In my case, it only occurs intermittently.
2. Have you checked if the sound is not on the roof? I can softly press with two fingers above the front passenger headrest, and the sound stops.

Happy and safe driving!
Old 26th October 2022, 22:54   #3965

Quote:
There is an important note about the AC and how auto start/stop works. Here is what I've observed:

1. If the AC is set to auto and I have set the temperature - unless i keep it below 19C, the auto start/stop works as desired. I have never driven the car at 19C for too long, so I would wonder if the function would work as expected if the cabin was cooled enough.
2. If the AC is set on manual mode and the fan is below six, the auto start/stop function works as desired.

An essential section in the manual details how using AC on full automatic is the best option. That was new to me.

Rattling sound on the left-hand side
That is unfortunate, and I do have a similar sound. Here are my questions:

1. Does the sound occur continuously? In my case, it only occurs intermittently.
2. Have you checked if the sound is not on the roof? I can softly press with two fingers above the front passenger headrest, and the sound stops.

Happy and safe driving!
Interesting.. will try tweaking the AC again and monitor how the start/stop reacts. So far it has been re-engaging the engine for me as soon as I drop it below 22.5 and then the system never works again until I don’t change the temp back to 22.5+. Personally I’ve never been a fan of leaving the AC on auto since the fan noise irritates me, maybe that was just in my EcoSport. Will try this with the Compass.

On the rattling sounds- it has not been intermittent, I heard it first a few days back but brushed it off and yesterday it became more prominent and has not gone since then. I can now hear it every time one of the left doors are shut or even if the music I am playing is bass heavy I have the panoramic sunroof, so I am not sure if this is coming from the roof, I am almost certain that it’s the left rear passenger door or C pillar. Will know more once I hand it over to Landmark to investigate.
Old 28th October 2022, 12:28   #3966

Quote:
On the rattling sounds- it has not been intermittent, I heard it first a few days back but brushed it off and yesterday it became more prominent and has not gone since then. I can now hear it every time one of the left doors are shut or even if the music I am playing is bass heavy I have the panoramic sunroof, so I am not sure if this is coming from the roof, I am almost certain that it’s the left rear passenger door or C pillar. Will know more once I hand it over to Landmark to investigate.
Quick update on the rattling issues, it turns out that the weatherstrip around the rear door had come off on one side and that was creating an air pressure which in turn created the sound. Landmark Mumbai picked up the car yesterday afternoon and I had it back at home by evening with a new weatherstrip installed. So far this seems to have solved the problem, hoping that it continues this way.

Also kudos to Landmark for acting so quickly on this, after hearing some horror stories about their service I was a little skeptical but they were on point and quick to respond.
saketsomani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 14:11   #3967

Hi Bhpians,

Sharing some pictures for my ride, took delivery of the Model S 4*4 in July. It has been a pleasure driving this beast. Recently completed a Delhi to Goa trip and loved driving it every km.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-eca09ab415354a4aa6e61c270bb142c3.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-432d5ad57a2a49f381bd50808a8f5cc5.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-a92c9424f2c3459ca65dd4d7541e812a.jpeg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-4c14070e60d2432199597c7d3d8fc324.jpeg  

RaiVW is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 22:36   #3968
BHPian

Took delivery of my Jeep Compass 4x4 AT (D), 5th Anniversary Edition. Sharing few pics.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20221028110604.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20221028110617.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_20221025_231354.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img20221028133023.jpg
aquarian1502 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 11:23   #3969
BHPian

Short Update about Jeep Compass Model S Feb 2022 Petrol AT model. Completed 7000 kms. Did a Bangalore Kolkata Trip in April covering 4000+ kms trip and rest mostly done in Bangalore.

Fuel Economy : Overall getting 8.5-8.8kms / Litre

What I like most :

Love the suspension setup - just glides on bad roads and on smooth roads the ride is butter smooth.

360 Camera - brilliant clarity at all times

Superb handling : easy to maneuver and super easy to drive in curvy roads.

Other things which I like : Infotainment system works like a charm, Wireless Apple
Carplay works flawless, Climate control is superb. Panoramic sunroof and loads of feature makes the ride comfortable

Dislikes :

Its a pain to drive in city traffic. Seems powerless and the car feels very heavy. Pick up is slow and the the engine will continue to hold lower gears until RPM is really high like > 2K-2.5k.

The leather seats look good but they are not comfortable and designed practically. Somehow I dont get the logic of having a seat contour which is not practical. The problem is with the back rest of the front seats which can not be set in a way where the head rest is close to your head and the entire backrest support your back. When you set the backrest in a way to support your lower back, the head rest and the upper half portion of your backrest will be far away from your back. So for long drives you can only rest your lower back but not the upper back. And since the head rest will be far away, in case of any unforeseen events I am not sure how helpful it will be to prevent any injury to the neck.

I had reported this issue to the service centre. Also checked other vehicles and it was clear that this issue is there only in Model S due to their leather seats with Airbag. The other models does not have this problem and the seat hugs the entire back and the headrest is close to the head.

The other negative point is that the cabin design is not so open. you feel as if you are trapped in a box. The windows in the back are very small due to the design. So for long trips the family felt little claustrophobic too.

First Service is done with zero expense. so that's good. Dont think Fuel economy will change much. The biggest pain is the low response from the engine. I think I have to make peace with the fact that this is how it is designed. :( So today if you ask if its worth buying this car the answer would be a big "No"
pgupta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 11:17   #3970
BHPian

Does compass eat a lot of tyre ?

I am about to go thru the second set of Goodyear Wrangler A/T Silenttrac 235/65 R17 on my 2019 model Longitude 'O'. I had gotten good trade in for the OEM tyres from Goodyear official shop thus bought the Wrangler A/T Silenttrac even though there was a 5% upsize error but maybe these tyres were not the right choice.

My first set lasted about 30k "Driven in HP only" the second set has lost more than 60% of its tyre tread and the car stands driven 49k only. How does your compass fare?

Last edited by Brishti : 30th October 2022 at 11:20.
Old 30th October 2022, 22:00   #3971
BHPian

The Stock Firestone on my 2019 limited 4*4 lasted for 52000 kms.The second set of Firestone had run 15000 kms and a good 70-80 % tread remains.I get the wheel alignment and balancing done every 10000 kms outside the ASS and free alignment checkup every 5000 kms.
Dr Alpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 11:35   #3972
BHPian

Quote:

Happy and safe driving!
The auto start stop is a function of the battery voltage IMO. Check your battery voltage with the ignition turned off for a better correlation. What happens though is that when it idle and you increase it does start up on its own to support the additional load.
Old 31st October 2022, 11:50   #3973

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhana View Post
My JeepLife app on iPhone hasn't been syncing for last two weeks. Any tips/tricks to make it syncing again, other than attempting a re-install of the app?

Attachment 2369987
I visited the service station (Kattupakkam - Chennai) to get this fixed. Service person unplugged the dongle, called the Jeep connectivity back-end team who apparently reset connection, service person plugged in the dongle, and voila, Jeep life app started syncing again. Was in and out of the service station within an hour.

Going to try out the Geofence option on the app.
Old 31st October 2022, 18:08   #3974
BHPian

Dear Jeepers,
I took delivery of a diesel MT about 2.5 weeks back and have a peculiar issue. I'm not able to reproduce it 100% of the time, but is quite frequent.

So the issue is that while driving if I have to suddenly brake and I use the Clutch + Brake + Horn at the same time, I'm getting a warning sound and the message display shows that the auto start stop could not be activated as the driver seat belt is not engaged.

I'm not sure why this is happening and wanted to check if anyone faced this and how it can be fixed.
Old 31st October 2022, 20:19   #3975
BHPian

Hi

I used the opportunity of the Diwali weekend to make a Bangalore- Allepey-Cherai-Bangalore trip. Overall distance - Door to Door ~1250 Kms.

Trip start - 23-Oct-22, Trip end - 30-Oct-22

For the onward journey, did a non-stop drive from Salem to Ramada @ Allepey, for a distance of close to 400 kms in approximately 5.5 hrs, I was amazed by the composure of the vehicle. Mine is a 4x4 Model S, didn't feel the car hunting for gears. Maybe I don't have the acumen to understand this shortcoming.
But it didn't feel like I have driven for so long a distance.
The roads are excellent, but speedcams in Kerala don't help a lot to zip through.
Other thing worth mentioning is that the engine never feels strained, even when you are making good triple digit speeds it feels very planted, no anxiousness if fast and frequent lane changes are required. It's not a corner carver, not even close but a fast corner doesn't make you get the toppling feeling. Braking is also confidence inspiring. Seats provide good lumbar and thigh support so you dont feek fatigued. I am 5'8", not sure if tall drivers also have the same experience.

The Jeep Compass handled easily what was thrown at it in terms of highway driving, it was a delight to drive. Already looking forward to a longish drive may be 1K KM per day or close.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks