Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2022, 01:45   #931
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Official Review

Hello, Fellow BHPians and XUV300 owners,

This would be my really short preview to the upcoming ownership update of my XUV300 Petrol MT W8, bought in August of 2021.

The boy has covered 10k km on the ODO and has had his 2nd periodic checkup with the doc! All is good and running smoothly. Touchwood!

I wish to jot down some things I feel really happy about it. And they are:

1) The car seems much smoother ( Shifts and driveability).

2) Just shines the best on the highway. Especially my mom who is not always happy with most car rear seats seems really satisfied. Yes! We did hit the Chennai-Alleppey trip (1500 od km) twice.

3) Has a really sorted ride and handling. I would say a perfect balance for city and highway alike. That 17-inch Tyre was skeptical at first but, Kudos Mahindra! You did a wonderful job in striking that balance.

4) It's an absolute hoot to drive around corners and open roads. I feel much connected with the car and it handles well, the body roll is well controlled, the chassis is playable (it's a rally car of course!), and a well-groomed (road manners) gentleman when u want it to be.

5) Every feature listed during the purchase works as it was intended to. No complaints.

6) Extremely satisfied with Mahindra's Service. Both in Kerala (1st service) and in Chennai ( for the second service). I definitely feel a huge step up in this regard. And I can safely assume that the lousy reputation around Mahindra's negative past will turn around.

7) Boot is ample for a family of 3. with the added 60:40 spilt (peace of mind) available. (Also we do have a luggage rack that can be mounted to the roof rails) A fact if u didn't know: The roof rails on W8 and W8(O) variants are bolted to the car frame so luggage racks can be safely mounted on them. (verified this with the service team) Actually, Mahindra has it as an accessory in some of their showrooms ( quite pricey tho!)

8) Space, Practicality, and features had always been its plus point and it does its job well (Actually Damn good in that area!)

Overall I am a happy customer. This car perfectly satisfies the caring son for my parents when I need to drive around with them and it also caters to the 9-year-old in me when I occasionally take it for a spin in the twisties ( I do drive responsibly and I am in no way a fan of speed or maniacal driving theories to have fun because I am a BHPian!)

Some queries to my fellow Petrol XUV300 Owners:

1) My FE is around 8-9 Kmpl in the city and Light-footed drive. On the highways, as observed in Kerala trips 17-19 Kpml (85-100 Km/hr).
The city FE seems too low. Though I accepted this wud be the case when I bought it, During my initial days the FE was around 10-11 kmpl in the city. It seemed to have dropped as days passed. I am actually planning to switch to premium petrol and increase tyre pressure by 2 psi to try and see if that helps, or should I? What are your (Bhpians) FE figures noticed in your car?

2) Has anybody noticed this or is it just mine...... My MID > FE display, if I am driving in a spirited manner, Shows 10 Kmpl. Doesn't go lower than that. tank to tank is a different story together. But the issue here is no matter how much I try the FE only shows 10 Kpml. But I do remember in youtube videos people's cars showing lower than the 10 mark. Can the BHPians testify, if their cars show the same as my MID case in contention here?

3) A fun fact or a serious issue ( You guys let me know): I can faintly hear a whining noise when I rev heard in 3rd gear. And it's like a supercharger noise( I am not bluffing) it's too low to record, but I definitely can hear it clearly when I am munching miles on the Highway, and it is audible post-2000 rpm ( in the turbo zone) and it only gets louder and more pronounced as I give it more beans but only in 3rd gear. It's not audible in other gears. Is it the sound of the turbo or is there a mechanical issue with the engine?

4) Any idea as to how to retrofit the new MM Logo? I love the Twin peak logo but I can't find a way to do it, at least here in Chennai. If anybody has done it, do share it with me.

Yep! And I am concluding this small update here. I am preparing a detailed report, some pictures and points that need to be added, and a lot of proofreading to do before posting (Excuse: held up with a lot of personal work).

But very soon hoping to post it. In the meanwhile do share your thoughts owners and BHPians.

Have a Good day. Take care!
PetroHeado is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 07:36   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Hello Ashish, how's the performance - brightness and throw - compared to the Osrams? There are mixed reviews online and hence confusing. Same is the case with the Bosch gigalights.

Thanks in advance.
Sachin_s74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 15:01   #933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_s74 View Post
Hello Ashish, how's the performance - brightness and throw - compared to the Osrams? There are mixed reviews online and hence confusing. Same is the case with the Bosch gigalights.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Sachin,
So my general experience has been good. I would say they are about 90% of the brightness of the Osram bulbs I had. But they are rated a far higher service life than the Osarms. I couldn't find a lot of reliable reviews for the Bosch, and hence went with Philips. However Philips is certainly more reliable than both Bosch and Osram in terms of service life.
================================================== ================

As for the earlier discussion about drivability in 2nd gear for the 300 diesel, I did an experiment myself yesterday. I went through a ~200-300m patch of normal 2 lane town road, with slow traffic, people, and speed-bumps(the audio should cue you when I cross the bumps) in the way. I could drive through the entire patch without once downshifting:

All the while being in the 10-20kmph range, and without any throttle input. It cruises at 20kmph in 2nd without any throttle input. 2nd gear is not at all expected to pull the car below 10kmph.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 15:38   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As for the earlier discussion about drivability in 2nd gear for the 300 diesel, I did an experiment myself yesterday. I went through a ~200-300m patch of normal 2 lane town road, with slow traffic, people, and speed-bumps(the audio should cue you when I cross the bumps) in the way. I could drive through the entire patch without once downshifting:

All the while being in the 10-20kmph range, and without any throttle input. It cruises at 20kmph in 2nd without any throttle input. 2nd gear is not at all expected to pull the car below 10kmph.
This is not the right way to test/judge driveability. What you are doing is letting the car roll at steady speed in the 2nd without any brakes. Reduce the speed to 10-20kmph due to traffic/speed breaker. Downshift to 2nd and see if the car gains momentum comfortably.
Old 14th November 2022, 06:59   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This is not the right way to test/judge driveability. What you are doing is letting the car roll at steady speed in the 2nd without any brakes. Reduce the speed to 10-20kmph due to traffic/speed breaker. Downshift to 2nd and see if the car gains momentum comfortably.
The original point was whether the car can comfortably pull off 10-20kmph in 2nd gear. It shouldn't matter how you reach that speed. It should only matter if the car can carry those low speeds in 2nd.

But anyway I went out and tested the exact test-case you asked for:

Was driving in 3rd, slowed down to around 15kmph speedo indicated, ~12-13kmph real. Downshifted to 2nd, continued in 2nd. Accelerated a bit, then the next speed-breaker comes up immediately in a few seconds, again braked down to 10kmph speedo indicated, continued in 2nd. I hope this fits your vision of the test.

Added bonus:

Starting the car from a complete standstill in 2nd gear itself. Level road, no rolling. Directly engaged the 2nd gear, and started off on engine idle alone. No throttle input whatsoever. Obviously had to half-clutch for the first couple of seconds, but after that it took off comfortably. I hope nobody is reasonably expecting it to start pulling in 2nd without any half-clutch.

I never do this in my normal driving, but decided to give it a try. It works.

I can see this car comfortably do as low as 25-30kmph in 3rd gear itself. I use that amazing low-end torque every day in my city driving. So obviously I was completely flabbergasted when people here were claiming that low-end torque/drivability is, and I quote, "pathetic". I'm not sure if there's some genuine fault in their cars, I have no way of knowing that.

Last edited by ashishk29 : 14th November 2022 at 07:02. Reason: minor fixes
ashishk29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 07:35   #936
BHPian

Quote:

So obviously I was completely flabbergasted when people here were claiming that low-end torque/drivability is, and I quote, "pathetic".
I too was surprised to hear that from people. I have driven the Diesel XUV300 and I really appreciated its city driveability and the amazing low-end torque. It could comfortably do things in the lower spectrum of the RPM at a higher gear, without breaking a sweat. Heck, even the petrol variant I own has an amazing low-end driveability, I am baffled by some posts!

Anyway, thanks for uploading the tests. A piece of quality evidence to prove the point.
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 15:37   #937
BANNED

Hi BHP'ians

I have also booked XUV 300 W8 [O] petrol in Bglr. I would like to know more about Blue-Sense technology & TPMS.
Old 17th November 2022, 18:26   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingyogi View Post
Hi BHP'ians

I have also booked XUV 300 W8 [O] petrol in Bglr. I would like to know more about Blue-Sense technology & TPMS.
Yay! Congrats mate. Wishing a million miles on the odo with your new ride. So, coming to your question.

* Bluesense is an application like a connected car tech. It helps you track your vehicle location virtually, geofencing, and a lot of other useful features via a mobile phone app. It's a cool feature and useful safety stuff.

* TPMS is the inbuilt Tyre Pressure Monitoring System in the vehicle. With some clicks on your Display unit, you can see the tire pressure of your car and it also alerts you when the pressure goes low. So again a useful feature.

Hope this helps.
PetroHeado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 13:50   #939
BANNED

Thanks PetroHeado.

Is it compulsion to take insurance from the dealer only?
Old 19th November 2022, 01:39   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks PetroHeado.

Is it compulsion to take insurance from the dealer only?
Most welcome mate!

Nope. It is not necessary however I can list down some pros in both scenarios.

Case 1: When you take the insurance from the dealer:-

* Your claims are quickly processed as dealers will take care of all the procedures associated with the process.

* Hassle-free buying and future claim-related experience.

* Frequent reminders from the dealership when your insurance is about to expire, etc.

* They will match the deals that are quoted from outside insurance agents.

Case 2: When you get it from outside:-

* No.1 reason is the cost. It's fairly cheaper when you buy the policy yourself.

* If you know an agent at a personal level claims are gonna be easy here as well.

* Outside policy quote help you get an accurate representation of the market rates prevailing.

* More options are available.

My take here would be: Go with the dealer. But a tip here would be to get a quote from an external agent or website for your car and see how much the insurance company is quoting for the car you are going buy and also the extras added to the policy. Download the quote and negotiate with your dealer to match the price and the extras. And wala! you get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on your purchase.

Have a good day!
PetroHeado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 17:08   #941
BANNED

Thanks again, PetroHeado. I will surely post the detailed review of my Cheetah [XUV 300 W8 [O] Petrol Manual].

Couple of more things:

a) What should be the things to keep in mind regarding documents, apart from PDI at time of taking car delivery?
b) Generally, what all are included in the insurance for new car?
c) What are the practical benefits of RSA? Is this even required?
d) As per carwale website, X discounts are being offered on the model which I am purchasing. How should I negotiate with the dealer as this news are not directly from Mahindra website?

Awaiting prompt revert
drivingyogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 06:54   #942
BHPian

Quote:

Couple of more things:
Yay! Eager to read about your experience of buying and owning an XUV300.

So to answer your questions:

1) Regarding PDI I am attaching a complete discussion thread on PDI in our forum. The initial post covers this part extensively.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)

2) For the Insurance too we have an excellent FAQ thread that you can refer which extensively covers most points. TeamBHP is a blessing! Attaching the same for your reference.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rance-faq.html (Automobile Insurance - FAQ)

3) Regarding RSA: My 2 cents:- Having RSA, especially from the manufacturer (via a dealership) is a necessity in my opinion. Since you are coughing up money to go for the top variant of the XUV300 you might as well get an RSA. Reasons:-

* Vehicle is stuck or not in a driveable condition ( I wish this never happens to any driver) the manufacturer will send a mobile repair unit. They would try to get fixed if not they tow it to the nearest service center.

* If the vehicle needs extreme repair they may even offer you a temporary vehicle to complete your planned trip. One of the BHPians had mentioned he got a Thar as a temporary vehicle when his car broke down in the middle of the trip.

* Heck even if you run out of Fuel the RSA team will come to your rescue.

* And all this you need not pay. It's covered in the RSA package. For repairs however you must pay depending on your warranty. But definitely have a discussion with your Sales advisor on what the RSA covers.

* And in the end, why not? RSA offers peace of mind when you go on any trips Pan India. It's always good to have it just in case things wished to go south!

4) As far as negotiations my biggest trump card here would be the fact that year-end is arriving and hence there is depreciation that can affect the value of the car so I will definitely pursue them to slash some prices. The carwale and related discounts are not true in all directions. Maybe you can quote them, but never mind! You can just directly talk with the sales advisor and ask for a better deal. Places you can negotiate for a discount:-

* Car price:- Since year-end is around the corner expect some slashing on the prices.

* Accessories:- You can request some free accessories like floor mats, sun film on windows, underbody coating, mudflaps, etc. Basically, as much as they are willing to give you!

* Insurance:- Match with the insurance value that you quoted from an external agent.

* Any other benefits if mentioned in the Mahindra website associated with XUV300.

In the end, it's all about the dialogue between you and the dealer. My advice, get quotes and offers from multiple dealers for the same car. And go for the dealership that offers the best price, comprehensive deal as I mentioned above, polite behavior and has a good track record ( maybe Gmaps review may help there).

Have a good day!
PetroHeado is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:55   #943
BHPian

Dear All,

I am thinking of buying XUV 300 W6 Petrol Autoshift and have gone through most of the pages here to gather as much info as possible. Running wont be more than a 1000 kms and i intend to keep it for 8-10 years. Taken a test drive as well and now know how an AMT drives. Though not too happy but this is what the segment offers I guess (have discarded Maruti, Hyundai, Magnite and Kiger). Am yet to drive Nexon Petrol AMT but think it should not be too different since both (XUV & Nexon) have Marelli sourced AMT units. I did drive Altroz DCA and wished Nexon had it too. Would have been a no brainer then!! I own a Scorpio for many years and am comfortable with Mahindra reliability.

I need an expert advice on following aspects:
a) Service Interval (if its 1 year or 6 month)
b) Improving headlights (although saw some posts but they were for W8 variant that has
Projectors, i believe)
c) Should i wait for Facelift (I can wait if TC comes in otherwise will buy AMT now itself)
d) Should I buy Nexon Petrol AMT instead (if many feel that current Nexon Petrol AMT is
a better product)

Thanks in advance, Regards
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:24   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
Dear All,

I need an expert advice on following aspects:
a) Service Interval (if its 1 year or 6 month)
b) Improving headlights (although saw some posts but they were for W8 variant that has
Projectors, i believe)
c) Should i wait for Facelift (I can wait if TC comes in otherwise will buy AMT now itself)
d) Should I buy Nexon Petrol AMT instead (if many feel that current Nexon Petrol AMT is
a better product)

Thanks in advance, Regards
a) 1 year.
b) There is some discussion here surrounding headlights. I've personally gotten Philips extreme vision in the low, and TVS LEDs in the high beam.
c) The facelift could be some way still. I haven't seen any confirmed news of it. Plus you know the typical shortages with Mahindra. Meaning you could see high waiting times for it.
d) Well honestly, the 300 has a better engine. And all 4 discs which Nexon doesn't offer. So if you're ok with having a slightly lower boot capacity, I'd say the 300 is a better pick between the two.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 23:41   #945
BHPian

Hey Mate!

Great that you are into buying a new car! To answer your question, here goes my 2 cents:-

1) It's 1 year. After purchase, there is the first service at 1000km post which every subsequent service comes at 10000km or 1-year w.e.e.

2) Headlights as stock are quite good. However, since it's the W6, I guess slamming an LED that matches the wattage or power requirements shouldn't be an issue as there are lesser complications, unlike a projector setup.

3) Ah the facelift!!!! Uncertain. Period. However, the recent version in the market is still a good buy. We can predict the facelift to arrive by early next year. If your purchase decision can be pushed till then I would suggest so albeit with a risk of an increase in price, deletion of feature, or may still come with an AMT. And yes as @ashishk29 said waiting periods are a pain.

4) Please avoid Nexon AMT. The laggy engine, an AMT not so well tuned, jerky power delivery, TATA's service is a bigger gamble than MM's, and the lesser space and driving dynamics do not justify this car over the XUV. The XUV outshines every other area except for the not-so-impressive boot space. But I do admit the Nexon is priced lower than the XUV but it's a choice u have to make. If you have an enthusiast inside XUV is simply the way to go. If your willing to live with some niggles but keen on price point Nexon it is.

Hopeful this adds to the previous BHPians suggestion. Do write and keep us updated on your purchase.

Have a good day!
PetroHeado is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed