Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2021, 22:10   #346
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

My Civic 1.8 V, CVT, 2019 model has been giving jerks at low speeds/crawling traffic (Delhi-Gurgaon). I experience them invariably during up and down shifts between 15 to 40 kmph. Has any other owner experienced the same? What could be the possible reason and diagnosis for this issue.

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 30th September 2021 at 22:11. Reason: Spell check
kapilsharma80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:26   #347
BHPian

Could be a CVT issue. I saw a thread with similar issues
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...w-speeds.5120/

As per this thread most probably a CVT issue
ssenhyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:35   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
I experience them invariably during up and down shifts
what do you mean by "shifts"? there are no shifts in a CVT.
Old 10th October 2021, 08:58   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
My Civic 1.8 V, CVT, 2019 model has been giving jerks at low speeds/crawling traffic (Delhi-Gurgaon). I experience them invariably during up and down shifts between 15 to 40 kmph. Has any other owner experienced the same? What could be the possible reason and diagnosis for this issue.
Have you gone to workshop? Has the issue been identified? In my experience, the way I feel is certain acceleration and de-acceleration based on the thrust and release of acceleration pedal at low speeds. You have that in CVTs, my previous City also exhibited same characteristic, though in Civic is more prominent ( may be due to more powerful engine).
Having a jerk is unusual in CVT, unlike an AMT where you have a' head nod' and you feel the shift of gears. Used to faced that in my Duster AMT and was a typical characteristic.

Best is you have the issue diagnosed. Let's hope that you get a good qualified technician to understand the issue.
Old 10th October 2021, 10:12   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssenhyd View Post
Could be a CVT issue. I saw a thread with similar issues
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads...w-speeds.5120/

As per this thread most probably a CVT issue
Correct, I went through many online posts and jerking while acceleration/de-acceleration seems to be a natural characteristic of CVT transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauphylover View Post
what do you mean by "shifts"? there are no shifts in a CVT.
Shifts=Changing of gears (up &down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
Have you gone to workshop? Has the issue been identified? In my experience, the way I feel is certain acceleration and de-acceleration based on the thrust and release of acceleration pedal at low speeds. You have that in CVTs, my previous City also exhibited same characteristic, though in Civic is more prominent ( may be due to more powerful engine).
Having a jerk is unusual in CVT, unlike an AMT where you have a' head nod' and you feel the shift of gears. Used to faced that in my Duster AMT and was a typical characteristic.

Best is you have the issue diagnosed. Let's hope that you get a good qualified technician to understand the issue.
Will be visiting the workshop next week and get this checked. Although, now I am sure this is a CVT trait as I noticed the same kind of jerks in my Brio AT as well, though a little subdued.
kapilsharma80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 08:51   #351
BHPian

Hey guys - quick question.

Has anyone installed sunshades in his/her car? If yes and you are happy with the quality, can you please refer me to the brand you bought.

I have tried 2-3 brands from Amazon but none of them fit well. I can't order from AliExpress.
Old 24th October 2021, 09:42   #352
BHPian

I have purchased this sunshade around a year back.
LASER SHADES Honda Civic Magnetic Sun Shades/Curtains - Set of 5 psc Suitable for Civic 2019-2020
by Laser Shoppe
Learn more: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08FMGXSSL/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Except the rear window ( sunshade is a bit bigger but with a bit of effort will fit in), rest of the pieces fit perfectly well. Only complaint is the front side window sun shades cover less than half of window and let’s most of the sunlight in. Quality is good but price is on higher side.
Jazzwithme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 09:56   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzwithme View Post
Except the rear window ( sunshade is a bit bigger but with a bit of effort will fit in), rest of the pieces fit perfectly well. Only complaint is the front side window sun shades cover less than half of window and let’s most of the sunlight in. Quality is good but price is on higher side.
Thank you so much for your recommendation.

Do you keep the rear window shade on while driving? Does it hamper visibility particularly in the night?

Also do the windows roll down and up, without the shades falling out, especially at the front?

I'll go ahead and try these too.

On another note:

I managed to order a wireless charger from AliBaba for $55 that is a perfect fit for the Civic. It also has USB-C and USB-A wired fast charging. Works perfectly with my Galaxy Z Flip3 and my parents' iPhones. Would highly recommend.

Last edited by andafunda : 24th October 2021 at 10:03.
andafunda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 19:10   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Thank you so much for your recommendation.

Do you keep the rear window shade on while driving? Does it hamper visibility particularly in the night?

Also do the windows roll down and up, without the shades falling out, especially at the front?
Yes, the sunshades are quite dark in general and the rear ones will block natural visibility in night. But should not be a problem in well lit city roads for point A to B travel.

You can easily roll the windows up and down. The sunshades fit into the pocket of the windows and are snug. They will not come out.
Jazzwithme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:54   #355
BHPian

Honda is not well known for making reliable automatic transmissions hence it's better avoided. Most of the failures in Hondas revolve around the automatic transmission creating issues after few years.

The best option for Civic is 1.6 diesel with MT.

And Skoda Octavia won't last more than 5 years so people considering Skoda should keep that in mind as well. Civic will easily do 15-20 years without any major failure. Even the infamous Honda CVT will last significantly longer than VW DSG junk.
Old 6th November 2021, 13:19   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pta320 View Post
And Skoda Octavia won't last more than 5 years so people considering Skoda should keep that in mind as well. Civic will easily do 15-20 years without any major failure. Even the infamous Honda CVT will last significantly longer than VW DSG junk.
This is completely wrong, specifically Octavia DSG not lasting more than 5 years.
AnandB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 13:28   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
This is completely wrong, specifically Octavia DSG not lasting more than 5 years.
Skoda will last more than 5 years as long as you have deep pockets to replace the failing parts.

Many critical parts are prone to failure after 5 years in Octavia and for that matter most VAG cars. Sometimes if luck is good then these cars may last little longer without any critical failures but most of the time it's not the case.

I personally prefer a car that won't give any issues during the RC validity and sadly Skoda or VW no matter how exciting to drive are not one of them.
pta320 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:07   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Beg to differ sir, we should actually refrain from such kind of statements. My Octavia is 6 years and had been very reliable. My friends Jetta and Octavia is 1 Lakh plus without a single breakdown and heavily modified too. And in my larger friends circle there are many Skoda’s and VW’s running without any issues at all.
So my humble request, we being part of this community should stay away from loose comments like ‘ŠKODA won’t last more than 5 years’
And yes I did not spend anything extra for my regular maintenance

Last edited by sunikkat : 6th November 2021 at 14:08.
sunikkat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:41   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Beg to differ sir, we should actually refrain from such kind of statements. My Octavia is 6 years and had been very reliable. My friends Jetta and Octavia is 1 Lakh plus without a single breakdown and heavily modified too. And in my larger friends circle there are many Skoda’s and VW’s running without any issues at all.
So my humble request, we being part of this community should stay away from loose comments like ‘ŠKODA won’t last more than 5 years’
And yes I did not spend anything extra for my regular maintenance
I apologise , I meant no offense to anyone.

I am just making that statement from personal experience where some of my friends and relatives owned Skoda and regretted it. And also from various forums where cases are discussed regarding the same.

Just putting some facts :

My friend's Skoda Laura was on the third AC compressor in a span of 10 years. First one replaced under warranty from Skoda. Second one died after warranty and he finally put some aftermarket compressor.

One guy I know bought a brand new Skoda Kushaq and it broke down with EPC light. In fact EPC issues are also being discussed on forums.

Then I have seen diesel Jettas/Octavias with water pump going out prematurely multiple times. Furthermore the air intake hose also cracks prematurely which I haven't seen in most of the other cars.

And Skoda superb with DSGs have many cases of mechatronics unit failure which is a nightmare once warranty is over.

So I believe it shows inconsistent quality control with VAG cars like some cases you mentioned without any breakdowns while some cases on various forums point to these common failures. Some failures like AC compressor and water pump maybe attributed to poor design.

We put our hard earned money into buying cars. And then some get such a product which breaks down all the time. For some it may not be an issue but for most a reliable car is what that matters with excellent after sales service. This is the area where Skoda lacks and is not a comparison i.r.o Honda or Toyota.

I personally would never recommend someone buying a Skoda unless such issues stop cropping up through various sources.

I am yet to hear common issues with Hondas or Toyotas or even Maruti or Hyundai which have left people stranded on the road.
Old 6th November 2021, 15:09   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I apologise , I meant no offense to anyone..
No offense taken and please do not apologise.
As said mine and my friends / relatives experience had been great.
Also different priorities for different people. I am infact okay to live with few breakdowns (even if) for the fun to drive factor. While others might want absolute peace of mind. All are right in their place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks