Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2020, 06:56   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti XL6 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

Meanwhile, some PDI pics for you all :
Congratulations once again.

Good that you are going with the tyre swap. I'll suggest one thing, if the spare is a regular steel rim, check the wheel well size when you are doing a swap. Use the tyre with alloy and see if it fits there. If it does, do get an alloy for spare also. It'll save a lots of hassle to you.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 07:03   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations once again.

Good that you are going with the tyre swap. I'll suggest one thing, if the spare is a regular steel rim, check the wheel well size when you are doing a swap. Use the tyre with alloy and see if it fits there. If it does, do get an alloy for spare also. It'll save a lots of hassle to you.
That's exactly the plan and my way of working when going for non standard sizes.

The spare is a steel rim, and I'll ask them to mount 195/65 on one of the alloys and check if it fits inside the spare wheel cradle(its located below the car). If it fits, will get a new alloy and make that wheel similar to others. If not, it will remain on Bridgestone and steel rims.

While 195/65R15 is within the 2% recommended limit for diameter, there was some doubt if it will cause more body roll(due to flex). The dealer is ready to install it and let me drive on ring road to try it for all conditions.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 08:06   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Delivered!

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_140655.jpg

Drove straight to the Tyre shop for the Swap. I know a Tyre mechanic there, who now heads this particular store. He did all the job himself to avoid any scratches on the rim.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_162844.jpg

Bridgestones:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_164510.jpg

XM2s. Would have liked to get P4ST but during these tough times, its too much to ask.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_164744.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_164936.jpg

I was armed up with everything they could need. Gave them diluted IPA to clean the rim before pasting weights. Ensures better adhesion.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_170721.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_170919.jpg

Torque wrench for the kill! I had set it to factory recommended 100Nm, since I hate when people overtighten wheels.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_171838.jpg

Stock view:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_134132.jpg

Post upgrade:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200714_210333.jpg

My take: I haven't been able to have a proper look at the wheels post installation as it has been raining ever since. However the difference in ride quality is like day and night. What also worsened ride of Bridgestones was that it had 50PSI all around. I didn't care to reduce it since it had to go anyways. I have gained around 8mm of sidewall with this swap.

Special thanks to all who helped me in my dilemma, you guys rock!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 08:27   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Delivered!
Congratulations.

The look improves with the new tyres, I hope the grip too. Showrooms are notorious to overfill the tyres. My Brezza had 49 to 54psi in all tyres when I took delivery.

How is the NVH of the car? I hope you'll be putting up an ownership review of your XL6 too. What have you named it?
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 10:19   #125
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delivered!
Congratulations. I see a lot of sense in the XL6 and it is selling well too. In hands of Maruti Suzuki nerds like you and Dr.Naren, threads are helping a lot of BHPians taking pride of ownership in their cars.

Nice upgrade on the tyre size.

Did you get the Automatic gearbox?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 12:54   #126
BHPian

Considering the passion, love and affection you have shown in maintaining your 'Golden Goose', over the years, that too, in mint condition, I can definitely presume that, this car is very fortunate in itself.
Ankur@VNS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 09:37   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations.

The look improves with the new tyres, I hope the grip too. Showrooms are notorious to overfill the tyres. My Brezza had 49 to 54psi in all tyres when I took delivery.
Thanks!

Yes overinflated tyre is something which probably MSIL and other car manufacturers do, as a practice of avoiding flat spots when stocked for long. The dealers are supposed to reduce this before delivery, during PDI.

Quote:
How is the NVH of the car? I hope you'll be putting up an ownership review of your XL6 too. What have you named it?
I used to think that it will be similar to the Ertiga, but its much better. Yesterday a friend paid a visit who has a Feb 2020 Ertiga, and there was significant difference in refinement between the two. I hope it will go up with the damping and sound insulation I'm planning, in guidance of a friend who works with an OEM and his expertise is in acoustics and NVH. I have been enlightened about even acoustic films which can be put to reduce outside noise. Due to thin glasses, traffic noise come in more than my 800. I'll surely measure thickness of glass one day. An auto was idling nearby, and I was worried which window is down. Didn't like this part. But this happens when nothing is ON inside, no blower, no music system. With blower ON, no major noise is audible inside.

The Michelins were an excellent decision and I must thank everyone here who pushed me to get them. Infact final push by BHPians Bonecollector and Torque18 sealed the deal and I didn't think further. Not only did they dramatically change the ride quality, they are also eerily silent. On one of the expansion joins where every car I drove thuds, the XL6 just glided over it as if it was sailing on some kind of cushion.

Regarding name, while many people have suggested unique and lovely names, I'm somehow not attached to this car like GG. So I believe it wouldn't get any name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Congratulations. I see a lot of sense in the XL6 and it is selling well too.
Indeed. Its a lot of car for the money. Regarding sales, it has picked up even further post lockdown. They delivered 7 XL6s including mine that day. Even the RM confirmed that sales of this model has increased for reasons unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankur@VNS View Post
Considering the passion, love and affection you have shown in maintaining your 'Golden Goose', over the years, that too, in mint condition, I can definitely presume that, this car is very fortunate in itself.
Thanks! While there won't be any shortcuts in maintenance, this car won't get the love which GG got. I wouldn't be as paranoid as I was with GG. It won't be wrong to say that this car came as I wanted to retire GG and give her the rest and care she always deserved.

Some pics of the side profile as promised, post tyre upgrade:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200715_172637.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200715_172651.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200715_172738.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200715_172835.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 09:55   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Some pics of the side profile as promised, post tyre upgrade:
The pictures appear quite dark so I took some liberty with your snaps, I've tried to brighten up the snaps so that we can see the wheel well area better.

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20200716_095052.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20200716_095138.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-img_20200716_095214.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 16th July 2020 at 10:00.
BoneCollector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 22:59   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Delivered!

Drove straight to the Tyre shop for the Swap. I know a Tyre mechanic there, who now heads this particular store. He did all the job himself to avoid any scratches on the rim.
Congratulations Shashi on the XL6, nice colour choice as well. I believe the GG will finally get the rest she deserves, though do stretch her legs once in a while. Awaiting for an ownership review of the XL6, I am sure it will be very detailed & exhaustive.
Quote:
XM2s. Would have liked to get P4ST but during these tough times, its too much to ask.
I personally believe the XM2s are better for our roads, had awesome experience with them in our erstwhile Punto (185/70 R14). The first set lasted over 70k km, no damage to sidewall as well. EcoSport now rides on P4ST, so far no issue with them (have only done around 15k km).

Last edited by chiranjitp : 17th July 2020 at 23:00.
chiranjitp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 11:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the XL6.

In all honesty I keep coming back to this MPV as a wise choice after having space crunches with my Polo GT. Considered the Innova as well but the GX seems too spartan for its price along with its big footprint on the road. I believe the occasional long road trips can be very well accommodated by the XL6 while keeping a manageable footprint in the city as well where it will spend most of its time.

I think I am going to seriously reconsider this. The only hitch I had was the NVH and overall build, but I guess you can't have everything. Please keep us posted with your NVH trials. I am sure damping and acoustic film will make a difference.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 20:58   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

MGA add-on camera for Zeta Model:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200713_111132.jpg

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200713_110955.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 23:40   #132
BHPian

Quote:
MGA add-on camera for Zeta Model:
Hello Shashi!!
Congratulations on the XL6!! I'm sure the car considers itself lucky on having you as its owner!!
Your M800 thread is a legend!
Just a query - Is this MGA camera a dashcam or a reverse camera?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a dashcam to install in my 2011 SX4.
Regards,
Powertrain

Last edited by powertrain : 20th July 2020 at 23:42.
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 07:51   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Shashi!!
Congratulations on the XL6!! I'm sure the car considers itself lucky on having you as its owner!!
Your M800 thread is a legend!
Just a query - Is this MGA camera a dashcam or a reverse camera?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a dashcam to install in my 2011 SX4.
Regards,
Powertrain
Zeta doesn't get reverse camera, hence its an add on accessory.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Thanks a lot for your wishes.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 12:46   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Delivered!
Oh - how on earth did I miss these posts! Hearty congratulations. Nice colour, quite unique. All XL6s I see here in Pune are in the Nexa blue or the silver shade. This one looks great. Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Given how your GG is pampered - we can already be sure that this is one lucky XL6 unit!

And yes - the XL6 makes a lot of sense as a plush spacious family car. The newly launched Hector PLUS sure makes the XL6 look like the best family car out there in petrol! Beyond any doubts.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 13:29   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh - how on earth did I miss these posts! Hearty congratulations. Nice colour, quite unique. All XL6s I see here in Pune are in the Nexa blue or the silver shade. This one looks great. Wish you unlimited safe & happy miles with it. Given how your GG is pampered - we can already be sure that this is one lucky XL6 unit!

And yes - the XL6 makes a lot of sense as a plush spacious family car. The newly launched Hector PLUS sure makes the XL6 look like the best family car out there in petrol! Beyond any doubts.
Thanks!

The XL6 sure felt like the best bet out there when it came to comfort. Infact the color and car, both were finalised based on my parent's preferences.

Initially I had booked S Presso in white, since the only two criteria for me were tall seating and good GC. But soon I realised my first new car shouldn't be something I perceive as a compromise. With budget fixed till Crysta(if needed), I called almost every car starting from Vitara Brezza to Jeep Compass. Dad's official ride is a Crysta 2.8Z, so we know that car inside out. My preference was Petrol, but was ready to opt for diesel for special cars like Hexa or Compass. Hexa wasn't in market, else I'm sure it would have come home. Its ride quality and comfort is simply unmatched.

My detailed booking experience will be shared in the ownership review, but XL6 was finalised because mom who has a stiff left leg, and minor L2 compression, found XL6 to be the best when it came to seating comfort and getting in and out. Innova was a step up while all others we saw were a step down. Only Ertiga and XL6 had proper walk-in way of ingress.

Since I plan to tour with mom and dad post their retirement, I finalised XL6 without thinking anything else.

For color, my first choice was White. Dealer had good stock in every color but both the Whites they had, failed my PDI. Next option was Premium Silver and Magma Grey. Both passed the PDI, but final call was taken by dad who felt this shade looks rich.

The Silver XL6:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200710_114330.jpg

Silver and Magma Grey parked nearby helped us in making our decision:

Maruti XL6 : Official Review-20200721_131239.jpg

So in a way, my first car is dedicated to my parents, and was also booked on their anniversary.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks