BHPian

Re: 2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrarcool View Post
I am facing similar issue
Anyone else facing similar issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSingh View Post
The nature of sound which I observed while TD was most probably related to disc brakes only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Same here . Me too facing the sound.

Along with drifting towards left side even after wheel alignment from Tata ASS . Taking the car to service centre tomorrow
I am facing exactly the same issue.
Brake sound- When I press the brake with a light foot and bring the car to stop, an audible "Khad" sound is observed.
Car moving left (additionally, on uneven roads steering always turns to left side)- For this wheel alignment and wheel swapping was done (for front wheels). It helped but the problem still persists, I am waiting for 1000 km service, will get these rectified during the service.
Old 9th October 2020, 13:57   #287

Booked a Calypso Red XZA+ model through company lease with Arya Motors, Gurgaon.
The calculations look pretty enticing, and I am game to take the risk of not having full ownership of the car for 3 yrs and paying around 2% extra on the residual value if I resign or transfer. The calculated cost of ownership, without baking in fancier concepts of time value of money, opportunity costs (can't help not thinking about these only useful concepts in real-life after a MBA in finance), comes to about INR 20.7Lakhs.

The SA, like all sales guys in Delhi, has promised me - "Saar, aapko bilkul fresh piece doonga Oct 1st week manufactured) .Have asked to share the VIN number ASAP. He has promised that he will have the car ready at his yard on October 20th for inspection. Have a few questions:

1. Should I do both a stockyard inspection and a pre-delivery inspection in showroom?

2. I don't see an October manufactured car reaching his stockyard oven fresh from the Pune plant on October 19th/20th. Is it still possible, though?

3. Still trying to understand the chronology of events when I okay the car in the stockyard and the delivery- Can I ask them to generate the invoice on the day of the delivery? I believe this will not be possible as the invoice needs to be generated prior to this day to be cleared by the leasing agency.

4. The only discounts offered is a 15K corporate discount. Is there a way to wrangle any more discount? Seems there are still no offers on XZA+ model. This seems difficult with insurance being taken from outside.

I am relocating to Gurgaon from Bangalore on October 19th and hence, test drove the car along with a few others here. Experiences below:

1. Harrier- Adishakti Motors-
Filled the online form (received OPT and the following call promptly)- The sales guy was able to bring the TD car to my home with frequent updates from his side on the availability ETA in about 5 days. This exceeded my expectations. TD car was clean, sanitized and had all bits like seat adjustment buttons and the screen working throughout the TD. Had 2 30min TDs- first alone, and when I was confident on the car cleanliness, invited my wife and kid for a second round.

-The SA was very patient and like all of his TATA Sales brethren, did not try to oversell (or even try to sell) the car and just asked me to experience the drive.

-Sunroof- Did not mention the sunroof even once while I TDed alone, but was quick to open it as soon as my wife stepped in. It was around 6.30PM and with dusk setting in, did not see a major difference at least on the driver's seat. My kid was excited to see some stars.

-Thanisandra Main Road, where I live in, offers good enough offroading[b] settings without venturing off from the main road and all craters, sharp speed bumps and loose gravel parts of the road were decimated by the Harrier.

-Handling-My regular drive is a 8th Gen Civic currently, and thus, I have high expectations with the handling of the car. Have not driven any SUV in the past 5 yrs but this car made me comfortable in around 5 mins and I was even able to dart between traffic in an area with an overbridge construction going on very easily.

-Ergonomics-I am 5"5 max in my boots and hence, did not face issues with the left knee rubbing against the dash panel or the dead pedal being inadequate for me. Loved the lumbar support and found it useful immediately.

-The front armrest is another story though, and sadly was absolutely useless. This will be the biggest letdown for me as I use it a lot in the Civic.

-I tested the rough road mode on an especially bad patch of the road with 8-10 inch loose stones covering half of the road when I did my second round of TD and immediately felt a difference in the traction. Did not test the Wet mode.

- Grinding noise in the brakes: I remember this being also called out in the Gagan Chaudhary review- This issue was not there in the TD vehicle IIRC (I might be focusing too much on the drive too).

Steering Weight- My Civic has a HPS unit, as does my dad's 13 year old, very mistreated Alto (or at least it feels like it, after regularly getting serviced at a service depot where my Dad's official ambassador used to get serviced ). Believe this oft-repeated point around the low speed heavy steering feel is a non-issue, when you consider the weight being 'steered'. I could not take the vehicle out to an open highway, so can't comment on the high speed manners.

Audio- I was too engrossed with the drive and dynamics, and only remembered to test the audio 5 mins before my drive ended. The SA played a Kannada song (don't understand the language) and hence did not connect to the song/music/all hype on the audio. It felt good though, but was expecting more. I am strictly not an audiophile though.

Jeep Compass- KHT Motors, Yelahanka:

Harrier was the max priced vehicle that my lease policy allowed, after including upto a 25% ex showroom price as down payment. I still TDed the Limited Plus Manual version of the Jeep to get a feel on what will I be missing on vs. the Harrier. Raised request on the same day as Harrier, KHT took another extra week to arrange for the TD at my home. Tested it on my

Interiors- The buttons and the leather/plastic grain of the seats and dashboards were a big step-up from the Harrier. Limited Plus also had 2/3 memory modes for seat settings. Somehow, I felt more comfortable in the front seat of the Harrier where I was at home in 5 mins, compared to the Jeep, where I did not hit a sweet spot at all.

Steering and Handling- Marginally lighter (but not better) than the Harrier in the city traffic. Did not test on any high speed corners. The steering feel in the hands though was light years ahead in the Compass

Suspension Got plenty of opportunities to test it near my home on bad roads. Felt as if I am gliding through the bad patches, but not trampling on them like in the Harrier

Infotainment/Audio Again hardly touched it and is always the least prioritized point in my consideration list. Being a product manager, good UI/UX bits do catch my attention, and the screen icons and touch was much better than the Harrier.

Rear Space Did not even venture to go and sit there even after the TD. My wife found it cramped after getting spoiled with the Harrier and slightly overexaggerated her critique by saying the rear space felt like 60% of Harrier.

Clutch: Found it hard to operate after getting spoiled by driving AT for 99% of the times in the past 1.5 yrs and stalled the vehicle multiple times post crossing breakers etc. Will give it to my own inconsiderate clutch management than the vehicle.

Duster Turbo Petrol (Top- End, don't care to remember if it was RxZ/?)
Fastest TD provided. Ever.. Filled the TD form on the website, got a call in 5 mins and the TD vehicle was available at my house in the next 1.5 hrs from Trident Renault, Mahadevapura outlet, which is around 15KMs from my home.

I just remember three things from the drive- the brutish acceleration of that engine and the adrenaline, that joke of a front armrest on a car that costs ~17-18 big ones in Bangalore and the seat fabric which felt much worse than my 2014 Swift ZXI's factory seats.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Quote-Harrier- Magma.xls (58.5 KB, 592 views)

Last edited by Aditya : 9th October 2020 at 21:40. Reason: See mod note
saurabhku12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:54   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeepkamboj View Post
I am facing exactly the same issue.
Brake sound- When I press the brake with a light foot and bring the car to stop, an audible "Khad" sound is observed.
Car moving left (additionally, on uneven roads steering always turns to left side)- For this wheel alignment and wheel swapping was done (for front wheels). It helped but the problem still persists, I am waiting for 1000 km service, will get these rectified during the service.
So I had a similar issue with my i20. A grinding noise used to come from the front left side wheel while braking and the Service advisors where not able to diagnose the issue for quite a few months and later it became prominent in terms of noise. Then a wise mechanic from a FNG told me that its an issue with the wheel bearings and you should get that changed. Sent the car to the service center and advised them to check and replace the bearing and Bingo... The noise was gone.
I know its a different machine all together but it might be worth trying to get that checked.

Last edited by D'Ro@dSt@r : 9th October 2020 at 14:59. Reason: Minor changes
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:49   #289
BHPian

Booked my Harrier XZA+ today in Telesto Grey color. Keeping fingers crossed for a smooth delivery and ownership experience.

Though I really liked the dual tone version in red, I thought that maybe as I grow older the sporty color may not suit me.

Heart was also pulling towards the Dark edition but in the end couldn't justify paying 50k more for just the color. Having owned a black car, I know how easily it gets dirty and how everything is visible on the surface (outside or inside).

Hope Telesto Grey will age more gracefully than me

Last edited by rags.singh : 10th October 2020 at 14:05. Reason: Minor typo
rags.singh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:51   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags.singh View Post
Booked my Harrier XZA+ today in Telesto Grey color. Keeping fingers crossed for a smooth delivery and ownership experience.

Though I really liked the dual tone version in red, I thought that maybe as I grow older the sporty color may not suit me.

Heart was also pulling towards the Dark edition but in the end couldn't justify paying 50k more for just the color. Having owned a black car, I know how easily it gets dirty and how everything is visible on the surface (outside or inside).

Congratulations buddy... Would you mind sharing what kind of deal you got from the dealer and whats the waiting time.
I have an active booking for a turbo petrol creta, but the waiting period and these deals on the harrier and compass is making me explore again and kind of getting into the confused state of mind again.
Old 10th October 2020, 14:56   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Ro@dSt@r View Post
Congratulations buddy... Would you mind sharing what kind of deal you got from the dealer and whats the waiting time.
I have an active booking for a turbo petrol creta, but the waiting period and these deals on the harrier and compass is making me explore again and kind of getting into the confused state of mind again.
I got a total of 45k discount on the XZA+ variant which includes exchange bonus. Insurance quote was brought down to 72k, at par with the online options like Acko/Digit. Frankly I didn't find anything cheaper than 70k. This includes return to invoice, zero dep, personal belongings, consumables, key cover and RSA. Delivery time that has been told to me as of now is 2 weeks.

On Feb 20 manufactured XZA models, there is a discount of upto 1.35 lacs.
rags.singh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 15:08   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Booked my Harrier XZA+ today in Telesto Grey color. Keepings finger crossed for a smooth delivery and ownership experience.

Congrats for the booking.Hope the car will grow on you .
I find it so easy to drive in city roads especially in Trivandrum where streets are narrow .
I found the red color too much aggressive on road , so tone down with sparkle cocoa
Happy motoring with Harrier
greyhound82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 13:55   #293
BHPian

Finally, booked the XZA+ Dark Edition last week. The booking experience with dealership was good and expect it to continue further during PDI and delivery. Delivery is expected by last week of October. I am offered 25k exchange bonus, 5k corporate discount and ~45k on insurance (with 50% NCB).
KSingh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:37   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSingh View Post
Finally, booked the XZA+ Dark Edition last week.
Congratulations
Finally Harrier is gaining the popularity it deserves. And I hope that others are encouraged too to consider a Harrier by reading all these announcements.
rags.singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 15:45   #295
BHPian

Sorry to post this here. Maybe it deserves to be in Official Jokes thread. Request mods to move/delete post if they feel like it.

I drive a Tata Zest (our family's first car) since 2016. In the last few months, whenever I see a Harrier on the road while driving, I comment to my wife about its striking hot looks. If I see it in IRVM, I intentionally slow down so that it goes past me so that I can ogle it from behind. If I see it parked, I stop and ogle at it unmindful of my wife who is talking to me.

Now today morning, she wakes up and tells me she had a dream. In it, our Zest's engine went kaput. And Tata service center as a goodwill gesture offered to replace it with Harrier's Engine free-of-cost
(She's not an automotive enthusiast)
srvm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 17:09   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhku12 View Post
Booked a Calypso Red XZA+ model through company lease with Arya Motors, Gurgaon.
The calculations look pretty enticing, and I am game to take the risk of not having full ownership of the car for 3 yrs and paying around 2% extra on the residual value if I resign or transfer. The calculated cost of ownership, without baking in fancier concepts of time value of money, opportunity costs (can't help not thinking about these only useful concepts in real-life after a MBA in finance), comes to about INR 20.7Lakhs.
Congrats.

In your excel sheet I28 is 17,99,952 which is calculated as D39*48. Where does this 48 come from? Should it be 36? In that case the tax saved etc all go down. Also EMI component Rs.25,337 will only be reduced from taxable income right? Not the amount Rs.37,499 which includes GST.

I'm also thinking of going the same route so any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 11th October 2020, 18:27   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I drive a Tata Zest (our family's first car) since 2016. In the last few months, whenever I see a Harrier on the road while driving, I comment to my wife about its striking hot looks. If I see it in IRVM, I intentionally slow down so that it goes past me so that I can ogle it from behind. If I see it parked, I stop and ogle at it unmindful of my wife who is talking to me.

Now today morning, she wakes up and tells me she had a dream. In it, our Zest's engine went kaput. And Tata service center as a goodwill gesture offered to replace it with Harrier's Engine free-of-cost
(She's not an automotive enthusiast)

Jokes apart, this is the most innocent, pure, and valuable review/feedback about the look and road presence of Tata Harrier that came by-heart from an non automotive enthusiast.

I pray for your Zest engine's longer life . Anyhow you can still fulfill your wife's dream by exchanging your car.
KSingh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:09   #298

Quote:
Could you please share the name of the SA from Prerna and also the name of the outlet. Also, were there any discounts offered? I am currently negotiating with my dealer for XZA+ variant but want to check if a better offer can be availed by shopping around (as recommended by the forum's guide on buying a new car )
Arun Raj from Prerna Lalbagh. No great offers on the XZA+ Dark edition. Just floor mats :( I managed to squeeze them for a 5K corporate discount. Since I had already sold my previous car, couldnt get exchange bonus.
josephnishanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 00:20   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanth View Post
Congrats.

In your excel sheet I28 is 17,99,952 which is calculated as D39*48. Where does this 48 come from? Should it be 36? In that case the tax saved etc all go down. Also EMI component Rs.25,337 will only be reduced from taxable income right? Not the amount Rs.37,499 which includes GST.

I'm also thinking of going the same route so any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Hi Prasanth,
Please ignore that table- was working with the leasing guy to also explore the 48 month option.

The cell H33 in this excel calculates the total 3 year payments from my post tax income as : Down Payment (INR538K)+ 68.8%*36*INR37,499+INR601K

Down Payment::23% of Ex showroom(470K)+INR69K(TopUp Insurance and RTO cost)- At my job level, the max allowed annual car lease deduction that I cam claim is INR450K/INR37.5K monthly. The company has a pre-decided RTO and Insurance Amount that they pay from their side for a leased car. Since I am buying a more expensive car than allowed as per my company lease policy, I am paying INR49K RTO and INR19K top-ups for insurance. Have been given an estimate of a total insurance cost of 81K, which I cannot bring down further since its from a pre-decided vendor.

EMIs: INR37.5K for 36 months. With a deduction of 30%+1.2% additional cess, the post-tax payout for me is 37.5K*36*68.8%

Residual value- The ex-showroom cost is the landed cost, inclusive of GST. I need to pay INR601K as the 30% residual value.
With restrictions on the max cap for lease deductions, max 25% down payment and max 30% residual value, this was the best cost structure that we could work out.
Read in another thread on leasing here, where it was advised to calculate the IT savings at a blended rate of 27-28% which we end up paying post including all types of deductions on the gross income. IMHO, one goes for a luxury/high cost car lease only post taking care of all deductions, savings and from a portion of income which has a truly marginal value, attracting a total of 31.2% IT deduction. Would definitely love to hear more from other seniors here on any points that I am missing here.

I have tried to ask my company finance team and the leasing guy multiple time on whether there is a catch, but all I get is "Itna accha deal hai, kuchh tension mat lijiye Saar"- The only catch that I see is situations where I leave the company or transfer overseas where I will have to buy the car at the leasing company's decided RV, which might not be very intuitional or linearly calculated,+2% additional fine on this RV.

Will like to hear from other members if this is how the leasing process works in Indian companies- this is the first time I am working anywhere which has a car lease policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhound82 View Post
Congrats for the booking. Hope the car will grow on you .
I find it so easy to drive in city roads especially in Trivandrum where streets are narrow .
I found the red color too much aggressive on road , so tone down with sparkle cocoa
Happy motoring with Harrier
I too feel this is the most sensible color to go for- While it looks timeless, there will be an added cost benefit in many states where the road tax slabs differ for +20L ex showroom vehicles. Wanted to go for it but stopped myself after seeing my missus's sad face after proposing this color change to her. She loves this color on cars- This will be our second car after a dark red Swift ZXI-2014.
saurabhku12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:16   #300
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Tata has made the Harrier Dark Edition affordable by offering them in the mid-spec XT and XT+ variants. Tata Harrier XT and XT+ Dark Edition priced at Rs 16.50 lakh and Rs 17.30 lakh respectively. Both cost Rs 10,000 more than their corresponding variants.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-featu...ctively/39969/

It is great to see TATA Motors trying to increase the affordability factor of the #Dark Edition models in lower XT & XT+ variants by having only a Rs 10k premium over regular variants, especially when compared to the Higher Variants XZ & XZ+ where the premium for #Dark Edition is Rs 20k. Although it is probably because the Dual tone variants of XZ & XZ+ have a premium of Rs 10k.

Nonetheless, this should help TATA increase the sales numbers of Harrier even more going forward.
Napalm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks