Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 16:50   #106
BHPian

Re: 2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT

I recently did a TD of the Tucson. While the overall feel was very good, we found the rear seat to be short of under thigh support, mainly with the seat being low, hence we end up sitting with knees up. Asking this here since non seem to have mentioned it. The front seats were very good though. For reference, we are a tall family!
Old 1st April 2021, 14:56   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post

The car has reached the yard and we did the PDI on Saturday. The SA says that the car did multiple "PDI Ins & PDI Outs" in the factory and that seems the reason for the delay. Attaching a couple of pictures during the PDI at FPL Hyundai's yard here.!
Wow the pictures look awesome. Looks fresh, is this the Starry night?

Can you please share the PDI Checklist that you used?

Last edited by Sheel : 10th June 2021 at 08:07. Reason: Quoted post trimmed. Thanks.
Old 1st April 2021, 23:55   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I recently did a TD of the Tucson. While the overall feel was very good, we found the rear seat to be short of under thigh support, mainly with the seat being low, hence we end up sitting with knees up. Asking this here since non seem to have mentioned it. The front seats were very good though. For reference, we are a tall family!
Yes. Driving a Tucson for 4 years this September. While space at the rear is great, the under thigh is generally lacking for 6 feeters like me.

The front seats are fantastic though.
bharathan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2021, 12:46   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monish_m View Post
Can you please share the PDI Checklist that you used?
You can find the PDI checklist in the relevant forum : (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 02:27   #110
BHPian

Dear All,

Things happened as planned and got our starry night Tucson 2WD GLS CRDI delivered on March 31st. While the official review and BHPian QuadraticAmoeba's excellent ownership thread are pretty comprehensive with every finer details covered to the tee, I will just add my purchase experience and some photos here.

Let me share a picture from the day of delivery to start with :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-1.jpg

The rationale behind purchase :
2018 - Our Fluidic Verna VTVT 1.4 CX turned 4 and we started the lookout for a replacement. Two primary reasons : 1. The 1.4 VTVT was underpowered and 2. The traffic conditions demanded an automatic. Had a hassle free ownership experience inspite of the infamous boat like experience of the fluidic Verna (though the 2014 version was pretty sorted compared to the initial versions, the steering was still vague at high speeds). Here's a picture of the Verna on the day when we sold it to a dear friend and the car is still going good I am told.
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_4313.jpg

Apparently we wanted to upgrade from the Hyundai stable and we learnt that the Creta didn't come with an automatic in the top end then. This was our first tryst with the Tucson, where we test drove a 2L CRDI and came back mightily impressed with the extensive power on tap and the torquey diesel. The 2018 version came with a 6 speed BS4 and didn't have a panoramic sunroof then.

While we were about to finalise the 2018 Tucson, we coincidentally test drove an Ecosport AT. The car had a magic in it and thanks to its sorted dynamics there was a day night difference over the Hyundais. We were treated very well at the Ford dealership and that got us thinking. Another reason towards drifting to the Ecosport was the fact that we need not take a loan to buy the Titanium + AT and we took the bite.

2.5 years of fuss free ownership and a lot of happy memories with the car, like for instance my first travelogue on the forum when we did a Chennai-Kumta-Chennai drive in Dec 2020. The only disappointment with the car was the rear seat space and the boot space . Then came 2021 and I had an opportunity to lease a company car. Clearly knew that, selling the EcoSport would be a depreciation disaster, but then didn't want to miss the leasing opportunity. Did ask my first circle of friends and colleagues, but none were in a position to purchase a used car with an asking price where you can buy a brand new lower variant of the same car or a seven seater offered by a couple brands. We did get quotes from Cars24 and OLXCars. OLXCars gave a price that was 15% lower than the expected price and Cars24 gave a price 25% lower. We went with OLXCars and the process was seamless. We visited their Anna Nagar Chennai dealership at 3pm and the money was in my account at 5pm. It was really tough letting the EcoSport go and my 3 year old occasionally weeps saying she misses the old car. The fuel logs and the consolidated service reports I was maintaining meticulously were worthless. The EcoSport on the day we sold it :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0335.jpg

Other options considered :
Jan 2021, we started our search for a car around 25-30L on road price, and this segment has very limited choices. We even test drove the Endeavour and Carnival a segment above, but somehow was not convinced the need for a seven seater now. A Tiguan AllSpace was available in one of the VW dealerships and they were open to negotiate further after an upfront discount of 8L, but somehow thought maintaining a CBU that has only been imported in limited numbers might be tougher in the longer run and turned down. Skoda Superb was available for around ~₹32L, but couldn't convince wife for a Sedan. The Skoda SA was pleading me to take a test drive, but I turned down, because I knew might fall for it. We visited a BMW showroom for X1 and they were least interested to sell the car, not sure why. Absolutely no follow up for a test drive. Jeep compass had a smaller rear seat and hence discounted. Test drove a Harrier AT and the TD car was poorly maintained and had the parking brake light lit on the odo all the time and the SA just asked me to ignore that it might just be a loose connection. Wanted to know the Citroen C5 Aircross's price details, but they kept on teasing without never actually launching the car. I thought missing the before March 31 launch was the biggest mistake they did, but then looked at their launch price and realised they can make much bigger mistakes too.

The purchase and delivery experience :
So ultimately wanted a car that should have reasonable space, reasonably powered engine, sorted dynamics and most importantly a hassle free service experience and there it was - Tucson, right on requirements and right on budget. The car purchase had to happen before the new financial year, so company negotiated a good deal with the FPL Hyundai dealership and the Guduvanchery branch was assigned. We did take a test drive after the booking and came back impressed. The SA kept us informed throughout and even arranged an i20 test drive car to pick us and drop for doing the PDI at the yard that is about ~60kms from our place. I had posted the PDI pictures earlier in this thread.

On the day of delivery, the same I20 1.0 Turbo GDi IMT test drive car came to our apartment to pick us up. Ours is the first Tucson to be delivered at the Guduvanchery showroom I was told. It's a very small setup and we distributed sweets to everybody and the car was delivered after a customary Pooja. Gifted the SA and her manager a small souvenir and took off. The dealership also said they'll be delivering the car with a full tank of diesel . A person from the showroom accompanied us to the Maraimalai Nagar COCO BP. I make it a point to stop the fuel when the dispenser auto cuts off, but the gentle man from the showroom insisted that it was his boss's order to fill the tank completely. The car drank a good 71.5 litres of Diesel, even though the quoted capacity is just 62L. And that's how we got our starry night Tucson 2WD GLS CRDI home. Some pictures to follow...

The neatly laid out engine bay, also can be seen is the Shell Helix lubricants recommended sticker (though the service centre uses Servo lubricants) :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-2.jpeg

I just learnt how to write diesel in Korean . Lot of interesting such bits showing its CKD DNA.
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-3.jpeg

The view from the boot :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-4.jpeg

The side view :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-6.jpeg

The first drive was to my native Virudhunagar in south Tamil Nadu. Felt the suspension to be softer when compared to my EcoSport. The suspension did get tighter and the vertical movements were well controlled in the Sport mode. the steering was good too, definitely not as bad as my Verna. Was able to negotiate curves at 100kmph with confidence and not once was the steering twitchy. Can't write enough about the gem of the gearbox - the 8 speed just works like magic and none of the gear shifts were felt inside. The car just accelerates like crazy and before you realise the 80kmph chime comes in. Speed is well masked within the cabin and NVH is very well controlled. I am told the rear seat has been supremely comfortable and are well cocooned from the road. All in all the family is very satisfied with the purchase.

At a pitstop en route, with one of its counterparts :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-7.jpg

Drove the return journey in comfort mode, though the picture shows Eco mode here :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-8.jpeg

First Service Experience :
Reached 1300kms mark on the 7th day and took the car to the 1st service. The security asked me if the car is a Venue or a Creta. When I told him Tucson, he went and checked and then told me he was confirming if it was a Hyundai. Hope Hyundai shows some intent to sell one very competent ace they have up their sleeves! They checked fluid levels, ran an OBD scan and did a waterless wash. Was billed ₹40 for the windshield washer sachets and the process got over in 2 hours.

Having owned two white cars before, I'm surprised how dusty the dark colours can get. Have no intention to do a PPF/Ceramic right now, I will judiciously use my cleaning kit which consists of a Jopasu, a kwazar venus foamer, a proklear wfc, a formula 1 glass cleaner rain repellant and a bunch of micro fibre clothes and may be revisit fancy and expensive techniques later.

The dusty car after the 1000kms trip :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-9.jpg

After wash at the Hyundai Service Centre :
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-10.jpg

I am also told that all maintenance is free for 30K Kms/3 years whichever comes first. This is such a practical & value (8 Speed, 185ps, 400nm torque at ₹30L on road is a steal deal) car that has ticked all my boxes and hoping to have a good ownership experience over the years. That is it from me. Thank you for reading this far. Wishing you all a lot of happy miles!

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th April 2021 at 06:46. Reason: Maximum 2 smileys per post please. Thank you!
ramprakashr is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 20:42   #111
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the most underrated cars in the segment. Just because the Creta receives some bits- Cooled seats, Air Purifier, Wireless AA and Carplay, etc., Tucson too has some nifty touches. The ride, performance is in a completely different league.

I just had these two queries-

1) Does the car get any kind of mood lights/Ambient lights? Not a must have, but certainly good to have after spending 30 big one's. If not, do we have an option to get it fitted as an accessory from Hyundai (don't want to go aftermarket and void warranty)?

2) Tucson gets something called pocket lights in the door handles. Are these available even in the rear doors? I checked out an Elantra, and it gets it only in the front.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:22   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
This is one of the most underrated cars in the segment. Just because the Creta receives some bits- Cooled seats, Air Purifier, Wireless AA and Carplay, etc., Tucson too has some nifty touches. The ride, performance is in a completely different league.

I just had these two queries-

1) Does the car get any kind of mood lights/Ambient lights? Not a must have, but certainly good to have after spending 30 big one's. If not, do we have an option to get it fitted as an accessory from Hyundai (don't want to go aftermarket and void warranty)?

2) Tucson gets something called pocket lights in the door handles. Are these available even in the rear doors? I checked out an Elantra, and it gets it only in the front.
Yes, some frustrating misses though! Coming to your questions :

1. No ambient lights, officially. My EcoSport had one. No official accessories for the Tucson in India, except for the floor mats. My dealer said he can additionally fit a running board and that's all.

2. The white pocket lights look awesome in my starry night Tucson. Unfortunately they're available only in the front door handles like Elantra.

I had another question to fellow 2.0 CRDI owners - How do you top up your DEF tanks? HPCL has only 20L Adblue buckets and I think filling from it and storing it would be a task, given our DEF tank size is only 14L. 10L would be ideal to top up is my feeling. Any recommended brands or does any petrol bunk in Chennai sells it via a dispenser? My basic Google Searches return no information about on demand AdBlue dispensing fuel stations and my service adviser said their service station doesn't stock DEF and he has to check internally. I have 2500kms on my odo and my DEF meter is at 75% now. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 15th April 2021, 18:26   #113
BHPian

Anyone here moved from a Jetta to a Tucson?
Any pointers and pros and cons would help!
Old 15th April 2021, 21:39   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, some frustrating misses though! Coming to your questions :
I had another question to fellow 2.0 CRDI owners - How do you top up your DEF tanks? HPCL has only 20L Adblue buckets and I think filling from it and storing it would be a task, given our DEF tank size is only 14L. 10L would be ideal to top up is my feeling. Any recommended brands or does any petrol bunk in Chennai sells it via a dispenser?
Hello ramprakashr,

I have a BS6 Harrier and I have ordered this brand of DEF from Amazon. I checked with the TASS and they are okay with us filling DEF from any reputed petrol bunks or online purchases- as long as they conform to the standards. You can check it out. Comes in a handy can of 5 liters with a clip on nozzle.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From their product description:

Recommended for all BS4 & BS6 diesel engines of Mercedes Benz, Tata, Bharat Benz, MG, Jeep, Mahindra, Hyundai, Toyota, KIA, Ford & Eicher
Reduces NOx pollution
Conforms to ISO 22241 and AdBlue standards
The Riddler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 21:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,

Things happened as planned and got our starry night Tucson 2WD GLS CRDI delivered on March 31st.
Many congratulations on getting a great car ! Black Tucson oozes out character, looks really good on the roads. Good decision not going for any ceramic coating. I've done it on my black creta and no matter how much I pamper it with jopasu duster, microfiber cloths, swirl marks are inevitable ! I've made peace with this fact. Coming back to the Tucson, I had taken a TD in this one, the automatic transmission and the power at the tap was just amazing The features on offer will surely keep you satisfied for a long time. wishing you many happy miles of ownership
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 09:31   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I had another question to fellow 2.0 CRDI owners - How do you top up your DEF tanks? HPCL has only 20L Adblue buckets and I think filling from it and storing it would be a task, given our DEF tank size is only 14L. My service adviser said their service station doesn't stock DEF and he has to check internally. I have 2500kms on my odo and my DEF meter is at 75% now. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Congratulations Ramprakashr on your purchase! Wishing you many kilometres of happy driving.

In my case, the local Hyundai service station (Trident Hyundai in Bangalore) said that they have DEF in stock. Since my driving has been on the highways mostly, I am still at 50% DEF tank level with the odometer showing 9000km. You may want to wait until you hit 25% or so before refilling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
I have a BS6 Harrier and I have ordered this brand of DEF from Amazon. Comes in a handy can of 5 liters with a clip on nozzle.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is very good information - thank you!
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 13:08   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
Anyone here moved from a Jetta to a Tucson?
Any pointers and pros and cons would help!
Not the exact transition but I moved from a 2019 Octavia 1.8 TSI to 2021 Tucson 2.0 GLS.

I was not looking to switch cars this year but due to few changes in the household, I had to make a quick decision. Unfortunately at that time our local dealer did not have a Tucson diesel for test drive. I had driven the pre-facelift car extensively so had a fair idea how the engine behaves but was in the dark about the new 8 speed transmission. I had to completely rely on the information available online, plus this thread and ownership review of Quadratic Ameoba.

At the time, for my specific requirements and budget the only car I could consider was the Jeep Compass. But somehow Tucson impressed me more from my prior experiences relative to Compass (can be an unpopular opinion considering the niche following Compass has).

Now coming back to your query, coming from a Octavia I was very skeptical, till I got the car and drove it the first time I even dreaded regretting the decision. I have had the car little over a month (3 weeks of that lost to COVID and quarantine), have driven it close to 4,000 kms and not once have I felt the car inadequate or lacking in terms of drivability or responsiveness relative to Octavia. This is my first tryst with a diesel and I truly enjoy the torque. To top things, I have the peace of mind of owning/maintaining a Hyundai vs a Skoda and from single digit fuel economy I am consistently getting 15 kmpl even with spirited driving.

I could be slightly prejudiced considering I am talking about my current ride, but I haven't really missed anything I had in the Octavia. My co-passengers also attests to a comfortable ride, especially in the back seat. Maybe it's early days but so far it's all been very good. I have moved the car from Surat to Kerala, and the added comfort of getting Hyundai support on the go. I did the first arrive (1,500 kms) enroute Kerala and getting few dents fixed in Kannur (my hometown). As opposed to Skoda where at one time the only option available to service within the state was 270 kms away (but I digress).

I will end my note with a picture of the ride against the backdrop of the Arabian sea.
Attached Thumbnails
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-pxl_20210409_045546552.jpg  

rahulraag is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th May 2021, 12:15   #118
BHPian

Dear All,

Hope you're all staying safe. Hoping COVID-19 subsides and we get back to normalcy soon.

Just an update with respect to my starry night Tucson. April was a crazy month, when I had to shuttle multiple times between Chennai and Virudhunagar due to personal reasons. 470kms one way and that meant, I got to munch a lot of kilometres and understand the dynamics of the Korean. ODO reading stands at a crazy 4444 kms in just about a month - this has been my highest ever, but I don't foresee me putting so many kms on the odo in such a short time in the near future. Here are my fuel logs from CarIQ app, only the last drive was into Chennai City when we had gone to take the jab. All other drives were 80% on the highway.

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_74a330d5706b1.jpeg

Had my first wash session armed with proklear waterless foam car wash (WFC), kwazar venus foamer, jopasu duster, formula 1 windshield cleaner, 3M tyre and dashboard polishes and a bunch of microfiber clothes. It turned out well, except for the random water drip marks at 3-4 places post the proklear WFC wash. Let the photos do the talking.

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0886.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0890-2.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0892-2.jpg

Also, I had asked about the AdBlue earlier - BHPian The_Riddler had mentioned OCTONOL DEF being sold on Amazon. I had ordered it and unfortunately lockdowns kicked in and it never got delivered. However, the other day when I was refilling at my nearest IOC COCO bunk, they had 10L DEF buckets available. The last time I enquired in HPCL where I usually fill, they only had 20L buckets. The IOC AdBlue was also comparatively cheaper costing ₹55 per litre and has a shelf life of one year. My DEF tank is half full now and waiting for it to be exhausted by a bit, so that I can fill the 10L in one shot. The quoted capacity of Tucson's DEF tank is 14L. Attaching photos.

2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0894-2.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0871.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0872.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0873.jpg
2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT-img_0874.jpg

Will update once I fill the DEF tank. Stay safe and thanks for reading.

Last edited by ramprakashr : 16th May 2021 at 12:18. Reason: Added DEF tank's capacity
ramprakashr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 23:58   #119
BHPian

Hi folks! Had a query and apologies if this has been answered before. Is there any smart feature on how we can control the level to which the electric tailgate opens? Couple of times I had to manually intervene (read stop with my hands) when I thought the tailgate was going to hit a barrier or the metal pipe overhead in our tight parking space.
Old 10th June 2021, 06:51   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulraag View Post
Is there any smart feature on how we can control the level to which the electric tailgate opens?
I'm not sure about Tucson, but in Endeavor this is how it is done. Open the tailgate fully, then adjust the height manually by pulling down till the required level and long press the tailgate button till it beeps. Next time onwards it will stop at this level.
smnrock is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks