Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2021, 22:53   #271
BANNED

Re: Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Any idea whether the automatic-gearbox versions will also be paired with ESC?
Man I hope they do. Seriously, they've already got all they need from the Nexon.
Old 1st January 2022, 10:29   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak View Post
Well Tata, we don't want a DCT due to it being unreliable and will heat up while the vehicle is in traffic, we don't want a jerky AMT because Altroz is a premium hatch, all we want is a CVT due to it being smooth, reliable and easy to maintain without significant drop in mileage.
Well if we look at it that way, CVTs have a rubber band effect. Torque converters have low fuel efficiency.
There’s nothing that’s perfect.
one-77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 10:39   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Well if we look at it that way, CVTs have a rubber band effect. Torque converters have low fuel efficiency.
There’s nothing that’s perfect.
Well sir, I am fine with rubber band effect, but can't live with a transmission which is prone to over heating and unreliable.
Note: I don't hate DCT's, it's just that I want a reliable transmission.
Old 3rd January 2022, 02:07   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie confirms that the testing of the Altroz AT has entered it's final phase.
Tata Motors Cars Twitter handle confirms the launch of Altroz automatic in the near future.

Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-screenshot-20220102-203334.png

Twitter

Regards,
Debrup
rupdeb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:33   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Tata Motors Cars Twitter handle confirms the launch of Altroz automatic in the near future.

Regards,
Debrup
This is the standard template they have been responding to since the launch of Altroz . So, please don't read too much into it.
Attached Images

skarthiksr is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:46   #276
BHPian

Added a few more kilometres on the car in the last few days. One problem - or should I say flaw - that I've experienced in the car is the notchy gearshift to first gear from neutral and from first to second. I've read that this is an issue that many owners have faced. Does it go away over time or is it something that we have to live with?

The last time I had stated that the idle start-stop hadn't turned on anytime, but it seems to have read this thread and magically came on the very next day. It's worked pretty well so far. I even stalled the car once (embarrassingly) and the start-stop helped restart in a jiffy after pressing the clutch. Pretty cool, I must say.

This car is certainly one for first-time buyers as it is effortless and pretty forgiving - rarely stalls, light clutch, and the pull-away assist makes it easy to move even in peak Bangalore traffic.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:25   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavoyWalrus View Post
One problem - or should I say flaw - that I've experienced in the car is the notchy gearshift to first gear from neutral and from first to second. I've read that this is an issue that many owners have faced. Does it go away over time or is it something that we have to live with?
Most of the TATA cars with Manual shifter have this issue. I cannot comment on Altroz but I have driven my Hexa XT Manual for some kms and for the first year you will keep feeling the notchy shifts. After a while it gets better either because you would have gotten used to it or the shift really becomes smoother a bit
Having an Auto option will definitely make this one problem go away and make Altroz a more compelling offering. However I am wondering will it be the Turbo which will get this Auto option ? Personally I would wait for the Altroz EV to put my money in.
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:54   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Most of the TATA cars with Manual shifter have this issue. I cannot comment on Altroz but I have driven my Hexa XT Manual for some kms and for the first year you will keep feeling the notchy shifts. After a while it gets better either because you would have gotten used to it or the shift really becomes smoother a bit
Having an Auto option will definitely make this one problem go away and make Altroz a more compelling offering. However I am wondering will it be the Turbo which will get this Auto option ? Personally I would wait for the Altroz EV to put my money in.
It isn't a big enough issue to make the drive cumbersome and an annoyance. Once you get the hang of it, you can work around the quirk. A lot of people have complained about it, but they seem to have somewhat resolved the issue during service. Hopefully that's the case with mine, too.

An auto gearbox would iron out such issues, but, personally, I enjoy driving a manual; even in peak Bangalore traffic.
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:44   #279
BHPian

All I can say that this is no more a generic news. This is happening for sure and that the system supplier is one of the most renowned one around. Sorry, cannot divulge more info than this.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:32   #280
BHPian

Got a chance to drive the vehicle on the early morning, crowd free highways yesterday, over a stretch of Pune-Shirur (Pune-Ahmednagar highway). The car simply loves open roads! The refinement levels are telling, with almost 4-cylinder like silent cabin at cruising speeds, only to get greeted with a sporty roar at high revvs while accelerating for overtakes. The awesome suspensions, firm yet very responsive steering wheel, prompt, reliable brakes and last but not the least- very bass-loving audio system that would beat most of the home theatre systems complete the package. The engine has become definitely smoother after a long drive yesterday's drive, even while driving around in the city today.
The cherry on the top:
This was shortly after the tea-break in the morning, but this was the figure for almost 40-odd kms even before. No cruise set, max speed around 80-90kmph.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Altroz 1.2L Turbo-Petrol Review-img20220102065210.jpg  

Nikhil Beke is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:50   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
They've been saying the same thing since 2 years! Also, in 2022 there should not be a 'confirmation' for launch of an automatic variant! If the car sells in 2020, it HAS to have an automatic gearbox. If not, I would have serious doubts on the capabilities of RnD of that particular carmaker!
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:40   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Birdie confirms that the testing of the Altroz AT has entered it's final phase.

Automatic will be in petrol only. No diesel.

Expect a launch in the next 3-4 months.
Will the nexon get this option? As both the cars share the same engine it could be a viable option and even the competition in form of sonet and venue offer proper AT’s.
Old 7th January 2022, 21:36   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
What if Tata after so many ages of testing ends up launching an AMT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Don't underestimate Tata mate. They will mostly launch AMT in the Altroz and will be proud about it too.
Well, it's definitely not an AMT or a conventional AT, if you can get my hint.

Also, upon launch, the Altroz AT might be offered with a new colour shade too - the erstwhile Hexa's Blue.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 23:06   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Altroz which was spotted with covered gear lever could be Automatic?

Attachment 2251456

Source : PowerDrift
The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. It is the Automatic, no doubt. But check the pic thoroughly, specially the gearbox section, and one can make a startingly bigger discovery - about the engine type.

Big hint in the PowerDrift pic above, and an ever bigger hint in this spyshot from Autocar India from about a month back.

See both pictures closely:-

Name:  20201127080230_collage3.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  87.5 KB

Notice it yet? The button behind the gear lever?
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 07:01   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, upon launch, the Altroz AT might be offered with a new colour shade too - the erstwhile Hexa's Blue.
That blue is a classy colour. In that case, Tata will discontinue the current blue I guess.

Quote:
The proof,

Notice it yet? The button behind the gear lever?
I am not getting it. Isnt it the same eco mode button? What am I missing?

If Tata gets same nexon's 1.2 turbo spec in altroz with a DCT, it will be the proper hot hatch, a nice competitor to Polo tsi in performance.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th January 2022 at 07:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks