Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2021, 00:40   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

What happens if you accidentally press the handbrake button by mistake while the car is in motion? Does it refuse to engage or will the wheels lock?

Another thing - How is the Auto hold function in the Safari XZA different from the Hill hold function that was present in my previous Hexa XTA?

In the Hexa, when I left the brakes on an uphill incline, the hill-hold feature used to halt the car for a second or so giving me enough time to comfortably switch my feet to the accelerator pedal -a mighty useful feature.

Is the Auto hold feature any different? Does the button have to be engaged to perform the same task that was there previously in the Hexa?
Regarding your first question about e-parking brake, yes it will work even when the car is in motion but it won’t lock the wheels up, just bring the car to a quick stop.

Second question; Yes, Auto-Hold and Hill-Hold function are different.

Auto hold can be used at red lights where you can press the auto hold button and the car holds the brake without you pressing the brake pedal and releases itself when you press the accelerator whereas,

Hill Hold is the car holding itself for a matter of few seconds for you to shift your leg from the brake to accelerator. In an automatic because it has the creep function you won’t feel it rolling back but in manuals it will roll back after a few seconds.

Hope it answers your questions .
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 07:59   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

Is the Auto hold feature any different? Does the button have to be engaged to perform the same task that was there previously in the Hexa?
And an important advantage of the e Parking Brake is that it brakes all four wheels unlike traditional handbrakes which lock only driven wheels
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 14:00   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
And an important advantage of the e Parking Brake is that it brakes all four wheels unlike traditional handbrakes which lock only driven wheels
Off Topic - As far as I know, the handbrakes lock the rear wheels, atleast in the Maruti stable cars. And they all are FWD. Am I missing something?
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:55   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Auto hold can be used at red lights where you can press the auto hold button and the car holds the brake without you pressing the brake pedal and releases itself when you press the accelerator
Just a minor clarification (I’m sure CEF Beasts knows this already) - the Auto Hold is a mode that you can enable (by pressing the button once the engine is on). Once enabled, it will engage the brakes for you if the car is stopped for 3 or so seconds via pressing the brake. An indicator will light up and now you can take your leg off the brake. To get the car moving again, just press the accelerator. Atleast, this is how it works in my car (Hyundai Tucson). The mode stays on until you either press the button again or turn off the engine.

Interestingly, in my car I found that there is a point to which you have to press the brake for it to engage the auto hold. A very light press on the brake will not engage it (but will actually stop the car from moving). It seems I am bored at signals and am finding strange things about the car.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 21:05   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Off Topic - As far as I know, the handbrakes lock the rear wheels, atleast in the Maruti stable cars. And they all are FWD. Am I missing something?
In most of the modern cars the handbrake is used only on rear wheels as the rear wheels have lesser traction as compared to the front wheels which have more traction since they take the weight of the engine. The handbrake is a secondary braking system which is independent of the primary brakes because in case the primary brakes fail, one can control the vehicle by using a handbrake in case of emergencies.

Now if the handbrake is used on the front wheels, it will lock up the front wheels if you try to use it in emergencies and thus you will lose the control over the steering as your steered wheels would be locked up.

But still the main purpose of the handbrake is for keeping a parked vehicle stationary and to prevent it from rolling forwards or backwards.

Another use of having the handbrake on the rear wheels is pulling off skids or drifts but that is not what its intended to be used for
ram87pune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 15:45   #456
BHPian

Went to the Prerana Motors Lalbagh showroom today, which had the Adventure Persona 6 seater on display. The test drive car is the blue 6 seater.

I had a white ZXA+ booking which I changed to Adventure Persona ZXA+, and expecting delivery next week. So decided to see the car in person before putting money down.

Looks like an interesting color, but confused as to whether to go ahead with the white or this misty blue. I noticed that the beige interior does get dirty too (but probably not as easily as the white). The blacked out parts are cool.

Enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_140310.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_135250.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_140212.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_135345.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_135229.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20210228_135814.jpg  

Spyder is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 18:18   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Went to the Prerana Motors
Hi thanks for the pictures.

I'm yet to see the car in flesh so would be grateful if you could answer a few questions.

1. What does the Tropical Mist colour look like? Is it a rich mettalic sheen like the Land Rovers or is it more of an off blue like say the Wagon R blue ? I've not seen it in person and the pictures online are almost always running some filters.

2. The blacked out bits look great and helps kill all that chrome - my biggest put off with the regular version's face. Does the quality of this blacked out from factory look great or would you think it can be done aftermarket ?

3. The interiors , seat covers are definitely a more practical alternative to pure white but the console has started to look gloomy and not so premium (at least from pictures) while the white seats and ash wood combination in regular Safari looks premium. Any thoughts ?

4. Because of 3, and your point that the beige also gets dirty anyway, would it be wise to get the white interiors and black out chrome bits aftermarket?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 18:47   #458
BHPian

Vignesh,

The tropical mist is not like the LR Byron Blue and it is not the Wagon R Blue either. It is fairly unique and tough to describe - tried taking the pictures to give a better sense, but it doesnt reflect the color a 100% (even with a great camera) - I would say it is a much darker shade of the MG ZS EV.

Bottomline - its quite nice and of course with this color - no one can confuse your Safari with a Harrier :-)

The blacked out pieces are well done and quite impressed with the finish. It maybe possible to do this aftermarket. I expect blacking out some of the interior pieces would be tough). But for the 20k difference (which offers stock blacked out interiors & exteriors and beige seats) I think it is better VFM to pick the Adventure if these are important for you.

The beige interiors do look good. I sat in both the standard white interiors and the beige to compare - my preference was the beige. I wouldn't say they are premium leather type luxurious, but still quite well done. This is personal taste and of course, both will still need a regular cleaning.

I've decided to continue with the Adventure edition and looking forward to the PDI and delivery in the next week. Would love to get inputs on the PDI. I have seen the PDI checklist https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/pre-...pdi-check-list. But given the recent build / QC issues with Tata, checking for anything further which is practical in a stock yard situation. Thanks in advance.
Spyder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:13   #459
Senior - BHPian

Do the Safari third-row seats fold flat? Aria/Hexa third-row seats had a slight inclination even in their maximum folded position because of the headrest messing with the seat. That was one big advantage XUV500 had over Aria/Hexa. Is that problem solved in Safari?
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 09:37   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I'm yet to see the car in flesh so would be grateful if you could answer a few questions.
Haven't seen the car in the flesh, but I've been meaning to reply to this particular conundrum of yours for a while now, sir.

1. I would never purchase anything with so much glossy piano black plastic. I have a few appliances in the kitchen like that, and I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Even without those, piano black gloss plastic is a proper "excrement-show". Smudges and scratches all the time. I mean, I have stuff scratch free in the kitchen due to strict microfibres all around, but even I wouldn't be confident in an expedition car interior. Moreover, it's not just about avoiding scratches, it's about not having to look at something really ugly all the time - absolute deal breaker for me. It looks good in advertising materials (including those so-called video "reviews"), showrooms, and that's it. It's a horrible marketing-only driven material choice that needs to die. Anyhoo, that rules out the factory-blacked-exterior version for me.

2. Beige is a pain. Gotta agree with the gent who said that. But white won't be only slightly more of a pain. It'll require more frequent, and harder scrubbing. In essence though, if you can maintain beige, you can maintain white. Moreover, it's not like if you won't maintain white, you'll be able to maintain beige. So just pick depending on what you'd like. Between the Tata beige and the Tata white, I'd pick the white, even though, I prefer beige generally - just in this specific case, I don't.
Speaking from personal experience here: Barring degradation in physical integrity due to poor quality (so far, only at the more regularly used front seats), my beige seats are in unbelievable, better-than-showroom condition at ~60k kms. You just need to take the time out to clean it. It's well worth it, if, like me you're a sucker for beige/white/light interiors. Visit a showroom and decide with family (though I expect you might have trouble being able to see all versions in the flesh at your current location, which is where your analysis-paralysis state stems from, if I may be so presumptuous).

3. In summary, in my book, the only thing going for the "Adventure" version is the unique-ish exterior paint job. Go for the "normal" version with aftermarket de-chroming IMO. Better yet, wait for Harrier facelift, maybe? Or maybe go for something entirely different?

Hope that helps. Seriously, skip the piano black though - otherwise you'll always remember me whenever you sit in your car any time after the first 6 months

Last edited by Mu009 : 1st March 2021 at 09:39. Reason: Additions
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:22   #461
BHPian

A walkaround of the safari adventure persona which shows all the detailed changes (a lot of stuff is now black)
aansh singhania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:40   #462
BHPian

Slightly OT. Mods: Please remove the post if this has already been discussed.

If we skip to 0:50 of the video, we can see how the driver squeezes into the car.

Is this practice of getting the car out of the truck really safe ( for the car )?
What if the dealership does not have someone who is slim/flexible enough and has some experience in yoga/acrobatics?
Is it possible to just open the boot (without hitting the upper floor), fold the seats, and get into the driver seat?

navaneeth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:01   #463
Senior - BHPian

Saw these ads in today's ToI.

2021 Tata Safari Review-1-image.jpeg

2021 Tata Safari Review-2-image.jpeg

With respect to earlier discussions in the thread regarding targeted customer demographics, couldn't help notice the explicit focus on customer segment that Tata wants to target for the new Safari via these ads.

Looks to me that Tata wants to appeal its tech-laden, new-age Safari at a more younger lot as compared to the customer segment of the yester-years, but with continued focus on "ReclaimYourLife".

Also, there is a clear sell happening on the Adventure Persona + 3rd row of seats.

Last edited by JoshMachine : 1st March 2021 at 14:03.
JoshMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:39   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Do the Safari third-row seats fold flat? Aria/Hexa third-row seats had a slight inclination even in their maximum folded position because of the headrest messing with the seat. That was one big advantage XUV500 had over Aria/Hexa. Is that problem solved in Safari?
I tested XZA+ seven seater Safari today. Both 3rd row and 2nd row fold flat. this was one of my requirements and i had seen this happening in XUV500.
JoelDmello is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 14:48   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
No they do not and the incline is very visible. You can feel the lost litres of luggage space

However, if it would be a 6 seater, there's some space in between the captain seats to compensate for this. The 7 seaters aren't so lucky.
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks