Old 4th March 2021, 17:30   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

So so small and frankly underwhelming.

Cheers, Doc
Hey doc,

I feel you are being too hard on the new Safari. It definitely is incomparable to our old gen Safaris. The space, comfort and ride quality are unmatched (only car that comes close in that price range is the Hexa).

But let's give credit where it's due. The new safari is a handsome car. It is spacious, pretty comfortable if you look past the slow speed ride, has a very capable engine, good MT gearbox, a very good AT box, nice interiors and a lot of features (in comparison to barebones storme). A vast majority of the buyers (except the hardcore safari lovers like us ) will find the new safari to be a better product than the storme.

Personally I like the new safari, and would love to replace my storme with one in the distant future

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th March 2021 at 17:31.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:43   #512
BHPian

Quote:
I'm sure you know what I mean.
Yes I understand safarispeak. The very intangibles why we hang on to our old boys.

These are confusing times for our tribe. With the XUVification of the Safari, we are torn between lingering around in the grind of glorious past or forcefully evolving (?) towards the inevitable future.

Even before seeing it in flesh, I'm stacking these against this Safari.

- Unknown safety rating.
- Lack of AWD
- Niggles reported in new display /media cars.

I'm waiting for initial ownership reviews to flow in a few weeks.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 18:33   #513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Hey doc,

I feel you are being too hard on the new Safari. It definitely is incomparable to our old gen Safaris. The space, comfort and ride quality are unmatched (only car that comes close in that price range is the Hexa).

But let's give credit where it's due. The new safari is a handsome car. It is spacious, pretty comfortable if you look past the slow speed ride, has a very capable engine, good MT gearbox, a very good AT box, nice interiors and a lot of features (in comparison to barebones storme). A vast majority of the buyers (except the hardcore safari lovers like us ) will find the new safari to be a better product than the storme.

Personally I like the new safari, and would love to replace my storme with one in the distant future

Just sharing my first gut reaction at seeing it in the flesh finally for the first time.

The photos , even those side by side to the Storme, do not adequately prepare you.

I'm sure it will turn out to be a technically brilliant car.

All the best.

As I said, initial grumblings aside, all Safari guys now want the butka to do well.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 22:06   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Yes I understand safarispeak. The very intangibles why we hang on to our old boys.
Is this not very subjective? I have owned the 2.2 DICOR(2008-2015) and have admired the Safari since it launched in 1998. Having driven the 3.0 DICOR which while a very capable car I felt the 2.2 engine is what really felt right to me. I wanted to buy my next car also as a Safari but neither the very capable Storme nor the Hexa appealed to me primarily in the looks department. If either of them even looked like the current one I would buy in a heartbeat. I was positively angry with Tata for shifting focus from Safari to Aria and then by the time the Storme came the beast was already on its decline.

Quote:
These are confusing times for our tribe. With the XUVification of the Safari, we are torn between lingering around in the grind of glorious past or forcefully evolving (?) towards the inevitable future.
I think XUVfication is a strong word. In my mind the XUV was always "nirvikaaram" in malayalam roughly translating to without emotion not only in looks but also while driving. Cant say that about the current Safari. Its a looker and drives well. I have booked one.

Quote:
Even before seeing it in flesh, I'm stacking these against this Safari.

- Unknown safety rating.
- Lack of AWD
- Niggles reported in new display /media cars.

I'm waiting for initial ownership reviews to flow in a few weeks.
I too hold that against Tata but then except for this everything meets expectation and not that the original was without niggles. There is a sea change

Quote:
Just sharing my first gut reaction at seeing it in the flesh finally for the first time.
Doc please drive it and maybe just maybe it would change your mind. I loved the DICOR and wish they had developed that engine further but the FIAT motor is not bad especially on the auto.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 15:46   #515

Cars considered : Innova , XUV500 .

Guys Booked Tropical Mist @ Puneet Mumbai. Adventure Persona variant was available for display last week. Looks amazing

2021 Tata Safari Review-adv-persona-tp-.jpg
nileshs2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 16:01   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshs2000 View Post
Cars considered : Innova , XUV500 .

Guys Booked Tropical Mist @ Puneet Mumbai. Adventure Persona variant was available for display last week. Looks amazing

Attachment 2128820
Awesome, we have a family test drive scheduled for Sunday. If you don't mind sharing, what was the total final amount agreed upon?
ankur_fox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:16   #517
Senior - BHPian

So I was intrigued by this new colour and set out to capture it. It does look enigmatic. The seat covers spell class too. But the colour on my face disappeared on hearing the on-road price for the Adventure version in Bangalore; 28 Lakhs it is. Short of kissing the 30 mark.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_2455.jpg  

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_2440.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:26   #518
BHPian

I had an opportunity to visit a Tata dealer stock yard today and had couple of interesting observations
1. Tropical mist colour is not reserved only for Adventure persona variant but will also be available on other variants.
2. I saw a Daytona grey XT+ with charcoal grey alloys but chrome finish elsewhere, so I'm assuming alloy options will be available in some variants.
SA also mentioned that he has heard Adventure persona will be made available in other colour options soon but not sure when.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 23:42   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
So I was intrigued by this new colour and set out to capture it. It does look enigmatic. The seat covers spell class too. But the colour on my face disappeared on hearing the on-road price for the Adventure version in Bangalore; 28 Lakhs it is. Short of kissing the 30 mark.
Cardekho quotes 27 Lakhs, with 4.28L road tax and 1.1L insurance. In the neighboring Hosur (and I presume the entire TN), it is cheaper by another Lakh. So, just a little over 10 Lakh would go to Tata motors. How sad!
Old 6th March 2021, 02:18   #520
Team-BHP Support

2021 Tata Safari Review

The 22-28 lakh (OTR) segment is going to get really hotly contested once the new XUV 5OO also launches. Interesting battle ahead between the flagships of these two Indian giants.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 11:13   #521

I currently own 2018 Nexon(GNCAP 4 start version). I have a need to upgrade to a decent 7 seater. Tata Safari 2021 sort of matches all my requirements except for following:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Powered tail gate
  • 360 degree camera
  • GNCAP rating
I am okay to compromise on first 3 in this list but I am not able to convince myself to go for this car until the crash test results are available.
I want my next car to be an upgrade in every aspect including safety. Safari is definitely an upgrade in all aspects compared to Nexon but with unknown safety rating.
I took a fairly longish test drive and it only made me love this car more. It drives very well. I loved the automatic box on this car.
I am sure there are few more people like me who are waiting for crash test results before spending 28 big ones (yes, that is how much it costs in Bangalore thanks to higher road tax) on this.
Tata must do something about this before people jump the boat and go with other options. I am now waiting for new XUV5OO to see if it can better Safari.
Identity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 12:31   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity View Post
I currently own 2018 Nexon(GNCAP 4 start version). I have a need to upgrade to a decent 7 seater. Tata Safari 2021 sort of matches all my requirements except for following:
  • Ventilated seats
  • Powered tail gate
  • 360 degree camera
  • GNCAP rating
I am okay to compromise on first 3 in this list but I am not .
The Alcazar and XUV may tick the first three. The XUV may even tick the fourth on launch.

Unknown GNCAP- The big mystery that shrouds the Safari Harrier flagships of a company that is vociferously self appointed safety champion.
Old 6th March 2021, 13:53   #523
Team-BHP Support

Car manufacturers introducing special editions of their popular cars isn't breaking news. In most cases, special editions are launched to give a boost to sales when the curve starts to flatten. Tata Motors is trying out a new strategy here and has introduced a special edition of the Tata Safari named 'Adventure Persona' to give as much boost at the launch itself.

This special edition Safari is available only in the 'Tropical Mist' paint that you see here which is somewhat a dusty blue shade. It's available in the top-end XZ+ variant in manual as well as automatic avatars at a premium of Rs 20,000 over the regular top-end XZ+ variant.

2021 Tata Safari Review-1.jpg

Team-BHP was invited for a quick walk around shoot of the Tata Safari Adventure Persona, so here are some quick observations about what's different in this special edition from the regular Safari.

To read the full review of the Tata Safari, click here (2021 Tata Safari Review).

Right off the bat, so much less chrome! This was a concern that we had mentioned in the official review, and without the excess chrome, the face of the Safari looks much better. The grille is now finished in piano black which makes the Tata logo stand out quite nicely. Headlamp and fog lamp clusters which got silver and chrome treatment in the regular Safari are also finished in black. Don't miss the black skid plate at the bottom which is brushed silver in the regular Safari:
2021 Tata Safari Review-2.jpg

The Adventure Persona edition also gets this black 'Safari' lettering on the bonnet which is unique to this edition:
2021 Tata Safari Review-3.jpg

In profile view, the Safari is chrome-free and looks quite nice:
2021 Tata Safari Review-4.jpg

For starters, you have black 18-inch alloy wheels. The design is the same as the regular Safari, but I think these look way better:
2021 Tata Safari Review-5.jpg

You also get this black strip across the door handles which is a nice touch:
2021 Tata Safari Review-6.jpg

No more blingy chrome roof rails. These are finished in black and aren't functional (Only variants without a sunroof get functional roof rails):
2021 Tata Safari Review-7.jpg

Not much is different at the back, except for...
2021 Tata Safari Review-8.jpg

... the 'Safari' name that is now finished in black and...
2021 Tata Safari Review-9.jpg

... the black skid plate:
2021 Tata Safari Review-10.jpg

Jump on the inside and instead of the dual-tone white and black theme, you have an all-black dashboard. Not just that, the brushed silver inserts across the dashboard have been replaced by piano black including the ones on the steering wheel:
2021 Tata Safari Review-11.jpg

Here's a closer look at the piano black insert below the ashwood trim. Notice the air vents though; this is where Tata has added chrome in the place of brushed silver inserts on the regular Safari and the Harrier. Have to say though, it does go well with the overall ambience of the cabin:
2021 Tata Safari Review-12.jpg

In an attempt to make it more adventure-oriented, the seats are no longer oyster white but are finished in beige (in Tata terms, 'Signature Earthy Brown Benecke Kaliko' said to have been inspired by the golden hues of desert sand). Essentially, they'll still soil but won't show as prominently as the oyster-white seats:
2021 Tata Safari Review-16.jpg

All black door pad makes so much more sense than the one on the regular Safari (reference image). Moreover, the tan/beige leather on the armrest is a nice contrast to the black:
2021 Tata Safari Review-14.jpg

A closer look at the leather insert on the grab handle and chrome door handle. Perforated leather looks classy:
2021 Tata Safari Review-15.jpg

A look at the rear doorpad finished in black and beige:
2021 Tata Safari Review-17.jpg

The Adventure Persona edition gets captain seats. A bench seat option is available as well.:
2021 Tata Safari Review-18.jpg

Piano black replaces the brushed silver on this phone holder:
2021 Tata Safari Review-19.jpg

A look at the third row of seats:
2021 Tata Safari Review-20.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2021 at 05:42.
Omkar is online now   (97) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:25   #524
BHPian

Re: My pre-owned Toyota Innova with 175,000 km on the odo

IMHO the Adventure Persona edition should have been available in the XZ/ XZA trim (without sunroof) as well and not just the XZ+/XZA+ trims.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 14:41   #525
Senior - BHPian

Neat pics there. The Adventure edition that I saw had bench seats. And I'd personally prefer those
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
The Adventure Persona edition gets captain seats
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed