Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2021, 07:09   #1426
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Has anyone opted for the additional accessories packs that come with the Adventure Persona? I dyes, which one and for how much?
Old 28th November 2021, 10:55   #1427
BHPian

I am thinking of booking Safari XMA model. I have a few questions regarding the same:
1. is it possible to retrofit cruise control in the Safari XMA model?
2. Any good service center in Noida or south delhi region you would recommend?

Thanks in advance
Old 28th November 2021, 12:33   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Wireless Android Auto to be soon available for existing Safari owners

Thanks to aks_karthik, I came to know that wireless Android auto will be soon available to existing owners who own XZ, XZ+, XZA and XZA+ variants
Yeah, finally some positive response from TAMO on wireless aa and cp for the initial buyers but what I've heard is that the latest version (I think v18) doesn't show the temperature readings on the TPMS anymore, just the tyre pressure in psi. Hopefully, Tata takes note and brings the tyre temperature feature back in the next release. I find it extremely useful especially driving on hot afternoons and the tpms is the default display on the dash, helps me manage my speed. Very hesitant to go in for the update yet.

Last edited by raamki : 28th November 2021 at 12:39. Reason: Typo
raamki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 13:51   #1429
BHPian

Hi All, found something interesting for all the safari/harrier owners. You can play videos on your infotainment screen while you are on the move and without any pen drive. Please use the below link to follow the steps. I have personally tried and tested the same and it works perfectly fine
Abhi1990 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 14:26   #1430
BHPian

I happened to visit the Tata showroom on Hosur road, BLR right at closing time, to (re) check out the Safari (this was after a disappointing visit to the Toyota showroom nearby, where they did not have a single Fortuner on display or for a TD). I was pleasantly surprised to have uniformed personnel greet me and allot a sales advisor to assist me. The last couple of times I was here, I think the only proof of my entry would have been the security camera :-D.

Coming to the car itself, it feels big on the inside and I would need to make call after driving it (somewhat like a Grand Cherokee that I happened to rent in the US). The SA, Imran, patiently helped me out with my queries. An interesting anecdote from his side was that they keep abreast of developments/updates on the Safari via TeamBhp postings as the scoops happen here first and they hear from the company next! (at no time did I tell him that I was a member)
Since the battery was disconnected, I could not get a good idea of the look and feel with the lighting on (why can't dealerships keep the battery on and take out the ignition fuse instead of total blackout in the car, defies me) - maybe someone will take note of this post and come up a creative solution so as to not rob the customer of the new car experience.
Back to the car, the seats themselves felt a bit premium and the rear captain seats also felt comfy. There was good noise insulation with all the doors shut (a big plus) and doors too shut with a nice muffled thud - but that was pretty much it. My left knee hit the front console as the seat was set too high up and I could not adjust it (due to the battery being disconnected) - I vent out my laundry list of fixes which they can do for this vehicle namely updated steering wheel, updated infotainment system or software, choice of exterior colors and interior colors). Also with Tata can add some soft-touch material to the dash (maybe I am asking for too much) - But considering the competition from the XUV700, at least Tata can add some bells and whistles to their flagship model.
I am looking for a highway cruiser with a flat ride with some amount of luxury quotient. We as a family, do not travel light - hence the need for good boot space and the 2 extra seats whenever we visit our parents out of town. On paper, the Safari sort of fits the bill (keeping aside some of the ASS stories that are out on the forum) - I plan to check out the auto, coming week and also hope to do a comparison drive with the Fortuner AT. The family is not too kicked about buying a big burly SUV - so let's see how it goes.

I also happened to check out a red Punch in the showroom and it looked and felt fab! If only it came with a turbo and conventional AT - that would be something!
kedar_GT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:21   #1431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi1990 View Post
Hi All, found something interesting for all the safari/harrier owners. You can play videos on your infotainment screen while you are on the move and without any pen drive. Please use the below link to follow the steps. I have personally tried and tested the same and it works perfectly finehttps://Youtu.be/1a4SdgbTOYo
There are few other similar options but I never try this because i am not very sure of what these apps can do to our data. Already, Android phones are quite vulnerable and this adds to the risk. Using a spare phone would be better idea than using your personal phone.
Jude300 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 13:54   #1432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wireless Android Auto to be soon available for existing Safari owners

Thanks to aks_karthik, I came to know that wireless Android auto will be soon available to existing owners who own XZ, XZ+, XZA and XZA+ variants without wireless Android.

I spoke to a customer relationship manager from Tata motors and he also confirmed the same. He said there were feedbacks from many based on which a software update is on the works and being tested.
While this is an excellent news for existing owners - I cant hold myself back from saying I'm appalled at TaMo for multiple reasons!
  1. If a simple software update is going to enable this feature - it means the hardware required (5GHz wireless capability) is already present in the head unit hardware! Extra kudos to them - if the cars were launched without wireless features simply because the software was not developed in time.
  2. This means - they were stupid enough to launch the car with the feature purposefully DISABLED when even sub10 lakh cars offer it!
  3. If this is indeed true - then they'd mostly have held back this feature, to provide in some hypothetical mid-life facelift, which they had to bring earlier in desperation - in the form of the funny GOLD editions. So much for "foresight".
  4. Such face-lifts also accompany price increases. So some % of that price increase - would have been for 0 input cost addition, as the head unit already has this capability.
  5. Lastly - the CRM has made a big blunder releasing such information in the open world. Not the best PR for TaMo. Practically appearing to be cheats here. Not expected to fool customers like this when they are paying 25-30 big ones!

For TaMo's sake - I sincerely hope that this was misinformation, and just a head unit software update is not going to enable wireless android auto (at least they should stick to this story and deny the feature to existing owners, for the greater good!). The guys have really made quite a lot fumbles with the flagship product twins. If I was in power, I'd want some heads to roll for handling it so clumsily.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2021 at 14:00.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:23   #1433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
[*]If this is indeed true - then they'd mostly have held back this feature, to provide in some hypothetical mid-life facelift, which they had to bring earlier in desperation - in the form of the funny GOLD editions. So much for "foresight".
The wireless AA was enabled for some of the initial Safari dispatches (including mine) and it was working, although not consistently. My phone was connected using wireless AA and navigation was correct. However since it was a beta version, it had bugs and didn't work all the times. When I upgraded the S/W version, it was disabled.

So my assumption is wireless AA is possible in the current HU and during the launch it was not made public as TML might not have finished testing.
varman742 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:35   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For TaMo's sake - I sincerely hope that this was misinformation, and just a head unit software update is not going to enable wireless android auto (at least they should stick to this story and deny the feature to existing owners, for the greater good!). The guys have really made quite a lot fumbles with the flagship product twins. If I was in power, I'd want some heads to roll for handling it so clumsily.
What is wrong with holding back something If it is not ready? May be I am not getting what you tried to convey, but I can't see how this will make them appear as cheats. Even if they withheld it on purpose for a future facelift, It is fine as per me. That means they have started proper product life cycle management compared to the mid-life feature deletions that they generally do.

I do agree it should have been part of the kit from day one, but if I am a Safari owner and this gets updated through a software update, I will be happy. It would make me feel that Tata is still thinking about early owners and my car may continue to get new features.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 29th November 2021 at 15:41.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:05   #1435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
What is wrong with holding back something If it is not ready?
If it really was simply not ready - the car should not have been launched. It shows how hastily the product was pushed out, doesn't it? Its a very trivial feature to be honest. Also - once again highlights the "half baked" nature of these twins in the rush to release before the big-bang XUV7oo arrived to steal the show. At least that's how I am able to see it. Wireless connectivity would be handled by the wireless module of the HU. For the software, there should be very little to handle additionally instead of the wired one, of course presuming the APIs and streams are efficiently designed ground up and not as an afterthought jugaad.

I just can't digest a high priced flagship product being released with a list of "yet to be finished" items this trivial - when that's your make or break launch.

On the other hand - I suspect they intentionally held back the feature by a software block, to show it as a "new feature" for a 2nd/3rd year facelift. I know of course it seems like a conspiracy theory - but then there are very few things they can add in a short term face-lift, so this could be one of them. Perhaps the judgement call was that first few customers won't mind not having it. And then with the outcry of lack of features, someone took a call to bring it in the current generation. If this is the case - I see it as cheating in a way.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2021 at 17:08.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 17:11   #1436
BHPian

Short trip to Murud Janjira with my Safari

Spending almost a year and a half, struggling with the pandemic (both in my Pediatric clinic and in daily life), life had become monotonous.
With different versions of lockdown following each other, travelling anywhere out of the city became an excursion only Christopher Columbus could relate with.

Meanwhile, I got my team bhp membership and my Mystic Stallion (Safari Adventure Persona version), during this pandemic. I was extremely happy with my steed. In small, short trips around the city, the Mystic stallion, as I call it, proved more than adequate. But deep down, I knew I had not tested the real potentials of this beast .
Reading those beautifully compiled travelogues on Team- bhp just made the itch to explore the car and different locales, even more intense.

With Covid coming under control, finally convinced the better half for a short weekend trip. And voila- got an invite for a medical conference, first physical conference after almost two years, at Kashid beach, Murud . Let’s just go - i told my wife. And she agreed, without any hesitation.

After tapping a few shoulders, I managed to get last minute hotel bookings at the conference venue itself.

We left at around 7.15 am from Kandivali (Western Mumbai suburb), to avoid the usual city traffic in Mumbai.
From Western express highway, took exit at BKC, and at Eastern express highway, took Chembur- Deonar Road to cross Vashi. After covering 60 kms, we managed to reach Palaspe Phata at 9 am. We decided to take breakfast at Shree Datta Snacks.
2021 Tata Safari Review-3bfb5e59b62b4815b00624fd5137d5ee.jpeg

2021 Tata Safari Review-0c3e4e704e7548a88dd5371989847489.jpeg

Shree Datta Snacks is an old eatery, serving typical Maharashtrian breakfast items. They have centres along Mumbai- Nashik highway at Igatpuri and Mumbai Pune Expressway. Having tasted food at all the three venues, I can definitely vouch for the authentic taste .
We filled our tummies with Batata Wada, Poha, Thalipeeth and started again at 9.20 am.

We joined the Mumbai Goa highway. The stretch between Panvel to Vadkhal naka is around 35 km. The roads, in general, are good. However you will encounter broken patches in between, on this PUC (Perennially Under Construction) highway.
2021 Tata Safari Review-5f57f0e3e08a4d8892753974655f379c.jpeg

Those who frequently travel along the Mumbai Goa highway, know the notorious Vadkhal naka, for the chaotic traffic snarls at this juncture. But the newly constructed flyover, has virtually eliminated the traffic.

At Vadkhal, we need to take a right, under the flyover, to join Alibaug road. This stretch is barely 23 km. However it’s a double lane road, traversing through small villages, with relatively high vehicular traffic, thus limiting the speed considerably. It takes around one hour to reach Alibaug.

Once at Alibaug, there is a road that goes to the main town and Alibaug beach. There is a left road which joins Alibaug - Revdanda road. From there, Kashid beach is just 32 km. We felt we would be able to cover this distance in 45 minutes max.

However once we took that road, we realised that the previous (Vadkhal- Alibaug) road was comparatively butter smooth. This stretch of road is winding, broken and narrow. But certain sections of the road offer such scenic views, that you feel it’s worth the trouble. Road passes parallel to the sea at times.
2021 Tata Safari Review-a184bd0b3be447fb9616c693014ad456.jpeg

Finally after one and half hour of driving, we reached Prakriti Resort near Kashid beach. Prakriti resort is spread across a large area, with good facilities, spacious rooms and friendly staff.
2021 Tata Safari Review-2182964507174c1882635225e2f954e6.jpeg

The video link to the property:

My Mystic Stallion resting at the villa
2021 Tata Safari Review-ad6c438eaa554320b68ff05a0cc71370.jpeg

After attending the conference sessions in the afternoon, we decided to visit the nearby Kashid beach in the evening.
2021 Tata Safari Review-d148143884614385ad6295ed490f978c.jpeg

After that, we visited the famous Birla Ganesh temple, on Alibaug - Roha road, just ahead of JSW Plant. It was dark by the time we reached there. Also, no mobile or camera was allowed inside the temple premises. Hence I’m borrowing some pics from Google, to give glimpses of this beautiful and peaceful temple.

The Birla Ganesh Temple in lights
Name:  9684D406E0334606AFCD81C9F029E036.jpeg
Views: 1412
Size:  30.9 KB

The steps leading to the temple entrance
Name:  3C42CEB04790483DB5F3BFABEA8FFB42.jpeg
Views: 1344
Size:  50.8 KB

Temple entrance
Name:  31694D1E2371490E80645BB20DCC04B6.jpeg
Views: 1458
Size:  26.4 KB

We returned to the hotel by around 8.30 pm. After a long day, we relaxed and enjoyed the performances by the local branch of IAP (Indian Academy of Pediatrics)

Day Two

After breakfast, we left for the famous Janjira Fort at Murud. We passed across the palace of erstwhile rulers of Murud, the Siddi Dynasty.
2021 Tata Safari Review-c85025bc6b254d6e94a8670e43c458df.jpeg

2021 Tata Safari Review-3ca7530ed45d4953a227e8ff156bb1fe.jpeg

2021 Tata Safari Review-2c779e30f7b34c079670e89e2ba6645a.jpeg

However this being a private property, we could not get inside to explore. En route to the fort
2021 Tata Safari Review-8612fea8400544eeb843c278e96c035f.jpeg

Janjira fort is just 13 km away from Prakriti resort. But to reach the fort, we have to avail the ferry service. The ferries are at regular interval, they charge rs 80 per adult and rs 40 per child. It’s a seven minute long ride, followed by transfer to the main fort, via mast boat. You need to preserve your ferry tickets, as the same ferry comes back to take you to the mainland after 45 minutes.

Brief Info about Janjira Fort

Janjira fort was built in 12th century, by the African Hasham tribes who decided to settle here for the ease of spice trading. The fort is built on a single island, and took around 22 years to build it. The fort has 22 watch towers and 365 windows. It has one of the largest cannons present in India, weighing around 22 tons. The fort, completely surrounded by sea waters from all sides, surprisingly, has a large reservoir of potable water.

Despite repeated attempts by Maratha empire to capture the fort , the fort never got conquered. The main reason is its peculiar geographical location. During lowest sea tides also, the fort is surrounded by approximately 35-40 feet deep water, rendering it inaccessible from land.
Also the position of main entrance, which is designed in such a way that, no boat can gain access, till it comes at least 20-25 close to the entrance, making it highly vulnerable to attacks from inside the fort.

Let the pictures narrate the present day status of this infallible structure.

The mast boats taking us to the main door of the fort
2021 Tata Safari Review-9da4372bc6ab4cadae2a44d86d64226c.jpeg

The Elephant and Lion symbols (seal) carved at the main entrance
2021 Tata Safari Review-da905f8063224c5f94fb252da92b8d3f.jpeg

The ruins of the fort structure
2021 Tata Safari Review-b2c3e404695b4a84b2a53d66dd9716fd.jpeg

The dried up well
2021 Tata Safari Review-4669ffb46fd7437a9ee18fb92ad6ad65.jpeg

The third biggest cannon in India
2021 Tata Safari Review-76ba240c818e423cb46ebc5d52c945b8.jpeg

View from one the 365 Windows
2021 Tata Safari Review-7c5e299ae6a1405f9624f642d72ac260.jpeg

Yours truly with the fresh water reservoir in the background
2021 Tata Safari Review-31b71bd8598b47ad8214beba177b6802.jpeg

2021 Tata Safari Review-5947ff0ce947420a9f6a9e200dc37211.jpeg

And the parting shots of the fort
2021 Tata Safari Review-8ee54a0c3bd7411bbc63a7e4ad078d20.jpeg

We returned to the hotel by around 2 pm. After lunch, I again got busy with the lecture sessions at the conference.

In the night, there was a gala function, after which we retired for the day. Next day morning, we checked out from the hotel, after the breakfast. The return journey was uneventful. We did not halt anywhere, and reached home in exactly four hours.

About Safari

I can wax eloquent about the looks and road presence of this beauty. However that’s very obvious. But I need to mention the ride quality, the comfort it offers to the driver and passengers and the ability to just roll over bad patches of road without any ado. The more I drive, the more it feels in its elements. Also I feel that the steering is getting better with more usage, or it may simply be a matter of getting familiar with the steering wheel.
2021 Tata Safari Review-436f7bff8ee34a0cac4bf0975f0cec86.jpeg

I’m not half as good as some of our distinguished friends on this forum like Dr A. D. or Samba. However they have been inspiring me to explore and share. Also pardon the image quality, as they have been shot on my mobile phone.

Cheers.

N S

Last edited by Aditya : 4th December 2021 at 18:31. Reason: Spacing, formatting, typo
NitSat is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 18:35   #1437
BHPian

V18 update is now available with wireless Android auto / car play

Fellow bhpian aks_karthik has already got the software update and confirmed that wireless carplay works well. I am planning to get it updated this week or next.

Quote:
  1. If a simple software update is going to enable this feature - it means the hardware required (5GHz wireless capability) is already present in the head unit hardware! Extra kudos to them - if the cars were launched without wireless features simply because the software was not developed in time.
  2. Lastly - the CRM has made a big blunder releasing such information in the open world. Not the best PR for TaMo. Practically appearing to be cheats here. Not expected to fool customers like this when they are paying 25-30 big ones!
It could be because the software was not ready or because they wanted to hold the feature for a future facelift but had to release it early to compete with XUV700 or due to some licensing issue.

Whatever be the reason as a customer who benefits from this update I am super happy.

The CRM did the right thing in my opinion and was very responsive and gave facts. Also, it is always good thing when a manufacturer takes existing customers feedback into consideration and try to solve for them. It is simple gestures like this that will go a long way in a pleasant vehicle ownership. I infact conveyed the same to the CRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
The latest version (I think v18) doesn't show the temperature readings on the TPMS anymore, just the tyre pressure in psi.
Well, I guess this feature is disabled in v17.4 itself as I don't see it now. Yes, I agree that's a very useful feature. Will try to check with the CRM about that.

Last edited by Jude300 : 29th November 2021 at 18:40.
Jude300 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 22:05   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
V18 update is now available with wireless Android auto / car play

Fellow bhpian aks_karthik has already got the software update and confirmed that wireless carplay works well. I am planning to get it updated this week or next.

Well, I guess this feature is disabled in v17.4 itself as I don't see it now. Yes, I agree that's a very useful feature. Will try to check with the CRM about that.
Will it work for Harrier as well after the upgrade?
Old 29th November 2021, 22:33   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
If it really was simply not ready - the car should not have been launched. It shows how hastily the product was pushed out, doesn't it?
TBH if you go by that mantra nothing will get released ever in the software world

Last edited by NoLurkerForLong : 29th November 2021 at 22:34. Reason: Clarity
NoLurkerForLong is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 00:49   #1440
BHPian

One test-drive of the "Safari" and I am convinced there should be an online petition to force Tata Motors to rename this car to Gravitas.
While Zica made them change the name to Tiago - COVID and marketing greed made them change the Gravitas to Safari.
This car is a disgrace to the legendary Safari. (Dicor and Storme). This car has neither the pedigree of the Safari nor of any Land Rover components.

Surely someone in the marketing team must have received a raise for sticking this 'Safari' badging after the Harrier debacle. But at the same time, someone product Product Development, from QC, and from Vehicle Planning division must be fired!
Additionally, there should be an investigation on the guys who allowed this to be priced at these levels.

Tata Motors is perhaps the only company who killed their best product - the Hexa which
- had a good engine (in house) : and yet they opted for a Fiat
- had amazing ride quality with 19 inch wheels : which they could not replicate in the Harrier or Safari
- was perfectly priced above the Nexon in 16 to 20 range (OTR) : which they have jacked up to ludicrous levels with Harrier and Safari.

I struggled to find any redeeming feature in the car worthy of the legendary moniker.
It is like one of those India-Pakistan matches, where you are fervently praying for a miracle, a redeeming sixer, but the car continued to disappoint.
What a heart break!

Zero boot space, mix match of parts from other suppliers, no safety rating, and many parts shared from their cheapest car (currently) - the Tiago.

The misery doesn't end here. Tata Motors continues to convince me that they really don't care a damn about their products or reputation. The sheer difference in number of features between the Harrier and Safari is not even funny!
I don't know whom to feel sorry for more - Harrier buyers or Safari buyers.

What was a bit of a surprise is the 'Gold' edition is a whooping 1.5L extra over the top-end and the ONLY difference is 4 ventilated seats (provided you opt for the 6S). In the 7S variant with the bench seat you only get 2 ventilated seats. Yet, pay the same.
The wireless charger and air purifier have - silently - made their way to the regular top-end Safari (nay, Gravitas).
Dr.Suraj is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks