Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 17:42   #1381
BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Hi Folks,
Here comes my rant aka observations from my latest trip. My safari has crossed 11000 kms and I hope this will give an inkling of what other owners might expect. The rains were flirting all week long in chennai and hence Safari was not used as the primary ride from 28th october till 5th november for city traffic. With Deepavali holidays coming up, I decided to take a trip to coimbatore. I loaded the safari at 6.00 AM and with kids and wife in car, cranked the engine to see the Check Engine light and the DEF light go up.2021 Tata Safari Review-safarierror.jpg
Kubler Ross kicked in and worked overtime and finally I decided to flirt with danger and started off. As family folks are aware, cancelling a road trip after loading and cranking is a sure shot way to damnation at home for the entire long weekend. I would rather try and lose than roll over and play dead
After riding around 30 kms to the outskirts of Chennai the DEF light and the check engine light went off on its own. Just to be on the safer side, called up TATA motors helpline and they directed me to their service center in villupuram, Schakralaya Motors. The Service manager Mr. Antony Frankclin was very helpful and immediately took the car for diagnostics/scanning. The waiting lounge was decent and kids and wife were comfortable. As nothing popped up in the diagnostics, Mr. Antony assured me that there is nothing wrong in the car and I can travel safely without any worries. I reached coimbatore at 5th nite. Again, on 6th afternoon the check engine lights and the DEF light started illuminating. I then called up TATA motors helpline again and they directed me to SRT TRANZCARS who were also helpful. the Service manager Mr. Suresh directed me to a senior technician who had a look and informed that the error has been generated and stored in memory. Hence they have to run diagnostics and erase the memory and clear the error. The whole process took 15 mins. Since then, I have returned to Chennai with no symptoms or dash lights as of now.

The key inference for me is that TATA has improved its dealer network who are more customer centric. Special appreciation to SRT TRANZCARS for identifying the issue. But the worrying issue is, why should this error be generated in such a fashion in the first place? All Safari owners who ride in city predominantly can expect these lights a little bit earlier as continuous low rpms generates this error. I don't know if this DEF error is TATA specific or applicable to all BS6 cars. But one thing I know is that i had butterflies in my stomach till I reached my destination. In the last 15 years of ownership of multiple cars, I never had to worry so much about my trip.
The reason for this rant is because I wasnt expecting much from TATA as I had dealt with only TAFE Access Chennai before and trust me, this dealer is definitely not customer centric. The sales team promised me accessories of front dash cam, reverse cam with monitor and what not. After 3 months of follow up and many false promises, I gave them a piece of my mind and decided to purchase the accessories from my own pocket. In my opinion, Dashcams and reverse cameras are essentials for a vehicle of this size and so I got myself an integrated unit of dashcam, Reverse camera with display on the mirror from Xenox by Pricol.

2021 Tata Safari Review-manual.jpg

It comes with a one year warranty. The icing on the cake is that this unit records both from front and rear cam whenever I drive. The peace of mind this entitles me makes me almost forget that TAFE Access Chennai cheated me. So, you tell me how I should feel. Happy or sad.
And one suggestion to all TATA Safari owners. Please open your rear boot door to its maximum height and close it every time it rains and stops. The amount of water that stagnates in the dicky door is a sure recipe for rusting if left unchecked as design is such that the water does not drain out on its own.
Neil Roy is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 23:17   #1382
BHPian

Here is a video from Brotomotiv who are popular detailers and painters on Youtube, highlighting the paint defects on Tata Safari.
According to him the paint thickness shows that there is no repaint.
Lot of dust and pinholes observed. If true, how can this be possible in factory paint process? Is there a lapse there too?

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 09:10   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
I got myself an integrated unit of dashcam, Reverse camera with display on the mirror from Xenox by Pricol.
Hi, can you share more info/pictures of this product? You referring to the IRVM?
Old 10th November 2021, 11:12   #1384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Here is a video from Brotomotiv who are popular detailers and painters on Youtube, highlighting the paint defects on Tata Safari.
According to him the paint thickness shows that there is no repaint.
Lot of dust and pinholes observed. If true, how can this be possible in factory paint process? Is there a lapse there too?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=EpDK...nel=BROTOMOTIV
Incidentally I watched this video yesterday. Honestly it sounded like a whole lot of humbug so to speak. His mobile phone video didn't show me anything except shiny glossy paint. He kept pointing out minor dust marks etc but they were not visual on the video. He was also abusing the white paint of the Hyundai in the next booth, so I guess it's merely a new way of trying to sell his overpriced 'paint correction' package which he tries to hardsell.
AirbusCapt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 16:32   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Would recommend the Kia carnival also its better than most alternatives at 30lac point. The engine is not as silent as the Seltos but seems better than my Compass NVH wise.

You can also wait for the JEEP 7 seater to come in the picture.
Hi,

We did a Test Drive of Kia Carnival. The vehicle is primarily meant for the chauffer driven and also with the long wheelbase might have certain issues with Ground Clearance in the Ghat sections where we tend to travel sometimes.

We had a discussion in the family and went ahead and booked Safari Adventure XZA+ this week. And today received the confirmation and Vehicle Identification Number from the dealer. Delivery expected in another 12-14 days approx.
LivingCars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 18:49   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
cranked the engine to see the Check Engine light and the DEF light go up.
This can happen in diesel engines when the emission control gets cranky due to various weather conditions. Revv it up hard on a short run in clean air if they show up again.
unoczar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 04:39   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingCars View Post
So we will let the Heart win (considering this might be the last ICE car before the electric age) and take the plunge with Tata Safari this time. Resale might be low but then as it has been said by fellow BHPians if you hold on to your car long enough (10 years approx) resale should not be the topmost concern.
Hello. Congrats on your booking. I think you are right in that the safari is due for an update, but I think it might not be just small cosmetic changes this time, I think Tata really is feeling the heat of the xuv and I feel some major changes might be coming in the update (probably not related to the engine though). My opinion is, if you can, you should wait and see what the update will look like.
Old 13th November 2021, 20:47   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotanF1driver View Post
inclining towards spending a lot of money on a flagship Tata product. I really want to buy the 700, being a newer and tech heavy car (niggles aside ) I expect more issues in 700 than Safari, since it has been almost a year since the launch of the Safari.
Wow, NotanF1driver- you make it feel that the XUV700 and Safari are neck to neck. Mahindra marketing on the other hand will make one feel that the XUV700 is a couple of generations ahead of the Safari.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mahindra may be a bit more proactive than Tata in addressing niggles.

It would be a good idea for GTO and T-bhp mods to do a comparison to clear the doubts. In fact, comparisons might be a great way to expand the review section. We know t-bhp reviews are the fairest, am sure comparisons will also be the same.

Last edited by navin : 15th November 2021 at 12:03. Reason: typos
achyutaghosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 21:34   #1389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I think Tata really is feeling the heat of the xuv and I feel some major changes might be coming in the update (probably not related to the engine though). My opinion is, if you can, you should wait and see what the update will look like.
Hi,

Would have ideally liked to wait till Jan - Feb (that would have been the 1 year launch anniversary and significant update if any would be expected around that time).

However, there is only so long you can hold your purchase if the need is there (We actually booked Safari XT Royale Blue in March and then cancelled it due to covid wave 2 and reviews about Safari AT being way better than manual to drive). This time we needed a 7 seater before Jan 22 and the choice was now between Crysta ZX AT (Close to 30L) or Safari XZ+ AT (25L approx) since XUV is already overbooked. We finally went ahead with the heart considering that the age of ICE vehicles might be nearing its end cycle.

So safari XZA+ Adventure it is for us (With 2 small kids in the family white interiors were a strict NO). Got the Vehicle Identification number within 2 days of booking. Now reading the vehicle run in and first 1000 kms thread and taking suggestions on Isofix seats for the children.
LivingCars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 09:43   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Wow NotanF1driver- you make it feel that the XUV700 and Safari are neck to neck. Mahindra marketing on the other hand will make one feel that the XUV700 is a couple of generations ahead of the Safari.
Biggest merit of XUV700 over Safari is the GNCAP rating.

Also, the feature gap is big. In an overall comparison, it gets condensed to a single bullet point, which is a bit unfair I think (although unintentional).

However, I agree that Safari scores over XUV700 in the following ways:

1. Better 3rd row, especially due to a sliding 2nd row.

2. Better ride quality at low speed.
Harrier > Safari > XUV700

3. Feels better inside out, and well put together. The adventure persona in particular, looks better to me than any car below 50 lakh.

In XUV700, some parts like piano black internal door handles don't feel like they belong in this vehicle.
pseudo_coder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 11:10   #1391
BHPian

Quote:

It would be a good idea for GTO and T-bhp mods to do a comparison to clear the doubts. In fact comparisons might be a great way to expand the review section. We know t-bhp reviews are the fairest, am sure comparisons will also be the same.
+ one from me.
In fact it will give good insights to potential buyers. With questionable credibility of all the vloggers, who just don’t want to hurt OEM, the common man gets more confused.
An unbiased comparison would not only help the buyers, it will also bolster the reputation of Team - bhp .
NitSat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 20:14   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Wow NotanF1driver- you make it feel that the XUV700 and Safari are neck to neck. Mahindra marketing on the other hand will make one feel that the XUV700 is a couple of generations ahead of the Safari.
Tech aside, I felt that Safari is a better car than the XUV700.

Quote:
It would be a good idea for GTO and T-bhp mods to do a comparison to clear the doubts. In fact comparisons might be a great way to expand the review section. We know t-bhp reviews are the fairest, am sure comparisons will also be the same.
+1. There are no good comparison videos either.
Old 15th November 2021, 18:07   #1393
BHPian

Need advise, My drive is usually within City limits ( <10 kms) usually and twice a year on long drives. Will Safari be a good choice? given the DPF issue in diesel cars.
I have booked a petrol Alcazar and XUV 700 now with deliveries probably around 4 months away
werfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 18:29   #1394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Need advise, My drive is usually within City limits ( <10 kms) usually and twice a year on long drives. Will Safari be a good choice? given the DPF issue in diesel cars.
I have booked a petrol Alcazar and XUV 700 now with deliveries probably around 4 months away
Best to avoid diesel and since your usage is primarily in the city, XUV is not needed. Alcazar is more compact and the running costs should be cheaper.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 08:38   #1395
BHPian

As i couldn't find more info on the 3 new features added to the safari when i had booked it, so thought about posting my view after using them for a week now.

1) Air Purifier - My initial question to the dealer was would it show the AQI and he didn't know at that point as he had not sold any vehicle with these features till now. To answer the question yes it shows the AQI on the Infotainment screen.

I'm in Jaipur and the AQI right now remains between 280-350 generally. When I get into the car in the morning the AQI display approximately the same. It shows the alert "Very Poor" for a sec and then shows the value.

2021 Tata Safari Review-safari-aqi-initial.jpg

The AQI quickly goes down after the cold start and approximately 4-5 min later it drops down to 50-60. Again it shows the alert "Moderate" or "Good" and then shows the value.

2021 Tata Safari Review-safari-aqi-good.jpg

Finally it drops down to 25-30.

2021 Tata Safari Review-safari-aqi-final.jpg

So its not a gimmick and actually works as the smell of pollution clears away and I guess this should be a necessary feature in all cars sold in the NCR or heavily polluted cities. This alone is worth the 12k increase in the price IMHO.

2) Wireless Charger - It works fine and nothing more to write about it. The space is very limited and if you've a large phone, then it would take some effort to get the phone in and out.

3) Wireless Android Auto - This is works just fine, it connects automatically as soon as the phone connects to the wireless signal in the car. No issues or trouble till now. The Google maps works flawlessly and I generally use the YT Music or amazon music app, which also syncs and work fine. The call quality is also good and I've not heard any complaints from the receiver at the other end about the quality or any echo.
sixthsense is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks