Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:13   #1486
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Tata Safari Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Keeping that in mind, I wonder how Jeep Compass was able to score full 5 star at EuroNCAP!!
Except for UK, Europe is largely LHD, and EuroNCAP may have tested the LHD version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
V18 software update: Wireless Android Auto / Car Play now available on my Safari
Is this possible in the initial batch of '19 Harrier?
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:16   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The above 'quoted' statement makes me a bit confused as you narrowed down the 'safety' problem to the inherent design issue with Fiat's 2.0 Multijet engine.
Keeping that in mind, I wonder how Jeep Compass was able to score full 5 star at EuroNCAP!!

By the way THANKS for sharing the valuable 'insider' info
That is a valid question. As per the Euro NCAP site, the tested version is a LHD variant. The test results PDF is here. However on the Rating validity tab they have tick marked both the LHD and RHD variants. That is confusing. Although Jeep India does not mention anywhere if the model sold in India also has the same safety rating. I am wondering how the engine oil filter penetration issue is resolved by them for the export models. Not sure if the engine component layout is slightly different for the engines supplied to Tata, MG etc.

Last edited by pjbiju : 3rd December 2021 at 11:27.
pjbiju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:42   #1488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
V18 software update: Wireless Android Auto / Car Play now available on my Safari
Thanks for the update. Have you faced any issues with this new version? I have 17.x version and thinking of upgrading to avail the wireless AA. However slightly apprehensive that it might break something else (including wired AA) which is perfectly working!
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:21   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Except for UK, Europe is largely LHD, and EuroNCAP may have tested the LHD version.
Made-in-India RHD Jeep Compass scored full 5 stars at ANCAP.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.ancap.c...pdf?1625029862

Sorry for going OT.
I called Jeep to confirm safety rating of the Indian Jeep Compass. The lady on phone said 'Jeep Compass is rated 5 stars'. I asked where is that mentioned 'officially'? She said 'on official website'. I said 'Guide me to the info as I'm unable to locate it on the official website'. She put me on hold for couple of minutes, came back and said 'You can google it and see that ANCAP has rated it 5 stars'. I asked her if its the same Jeep Compass on sale here in India. She said she will arrange a callback.

I think Jeep Compass on sale in India is the same what is on sale in Australia unless someone with insider knowledge proves otherwise.

But its strange that Jeep India did not highlight the safety rating on their website!!

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd December 2021 at 13:24.
HammerHead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:36   #1490
BHPian

Quote:

Sorry for going OT.
It’s the petrol variant that was tested. So jury is still out on the diesel.

2021 Tata Safari Review-755d9d402c6c4a29a903cfafa3758afb.jpeg

Last edited by TROOPER : 3rd December 2021 at 13:40.
TROOPER is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:37   #1491
BHPian

Quote:

But its strange that Jeep India did not highlight the safety rating on their website!!
If i am not wrong, only the 2.4L petrol variant is tested and not the 2.0L multijet diesel engine.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 13:58   #1492
Distinguished - BHPian

A non-petrolhead friend of mine was commenting on the Safari today. The 2021 just does not do justice to the name. It does Not have the character of the vehicle which built the brand name.

+1 to him.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:01   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Made-in-India RHD Jeep Compass scored full 5 stars at ANCAP....But its strange that Jeep India did not highlight the safety rating on their website!!
The tested one had a 2.4l petrol engine. It is mentioned in the document.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:08   #1494
Senior - BHPian

So basically we don't have any RHD car with Fiat's 2.0L Multijet tested in any of the NCAP's!! Wow!!
Now the question is "Will Tata put Safari diesel through NCAP test?"

Till then I wont be ready to Reclaim My Life.

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd December 2021 at 14:12.
HammerHead is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:14   #1495

Update on Wireless Android Auto and Apple car Play.

I got my Tata Safari XZA+ updated infotainment with version 18. This has enabled the wireless Android Auto. Attaching a short video on this. Apologies for the clarity as it was shot on my cell phone.

JoelDmello is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 14:41   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
I think Jeep Compass on sale in India is the same what is on sale in Australia unless someone with insider knowledge proves otherwise.
I had asked about this to ANCAP. Cross-posting the reply I received from XUV700 (Mahindra XUV700 Review)thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
I had asked the question to Australian NCAP earlier this year about extending the 5-star rating received for petrol Jeep Compass to the 2.0 multijet variant as well. I received a reply that the same rating was extended to all variants of jeep compass after a "thorough review" of the technical information provided by Jeep.

Attachment 2232556
Meph1st0 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:20   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
I had asked about this to ANCAP. Cross-posting the reply I received from XUV700 (Mahindra XUV700 Review)thread.
Sorry but I would read that as 'All variants of Jeep Compass 2.4L Petrol'.
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:30   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry but I would read that as 'All variants of Jeep Compass 2.4L Petrol'.
EuroNCAP extends the rating validity of 2.0L MULTIJET LHD to RHD variants also, I dont think they are crazy enough to do it without any supporting analysis.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/jeep/compass/27881

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211203_145642.jpg
TorqueIndia is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:16   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
EuroNCAP extends the rating validity of 2.0L MULTIJET LHD to RHD variants also, I dont think they are crazy enough to do it without any supporting analysis.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/jeep/compass/27881

Attachment 2240681
Thanks for sharing. That confirms that a RHD car with Fiat's Multijet 2.0L engine can score 5 stars.
May be Jeep was able to work around the problem while Tata is yet to or failed so far. May be there are 'other' reasons which only Tata knows!!

Whatever it is, it does raise concerns around crash worthiness of Tata Harrier and Tata Safari.

Last edited by HammerHead : 3rd December 2021 at 17:22.
HammerHead is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:36   #1500
BHPian

I know that a lot of BHPians are passionate about the Safari, and was prepared for the backlash.

Though disappointed, I just couldn't deselect it. Hence, I took another test drive today to avoid being Placebo'd by the Tuscon. Notes from this test drive:

I apologise the poor image quality. I'm not that good with the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

Any specific examples that you noticed? Are they trims that the user would often interact with? Are they at highly visible areas? Do they hamper working of something inside the vehicle?
2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211203_171250__01.jpg

Notice the gap in the plastic trim holding the head-liner on the D-Pillar.

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211203_172010.jpg

The rubber beading on the top right corner of the window doesn't fit flush.

People might call me pedantic, but I can't accept that on a 28L vehicle.

Quote:

Which switches? Do you feel they could easily break or fail? Why did you feel so?
In the following video notice the cheap quality of the switch for the rear reading lamp

The following is the same switch for the rear reading lamp of my Crysta - notice the quality and the amount of damping

Quote:

What was the issue with the steering? What do you mean by not calibrated well? Was it too heavy, requiring more effort? Was it too sensitive, making a vehicle direction change even at the slightest input? At what speeds did you notice these issues?
I felt that the steering was too sensitive at high speeds - as noted in the official review. Unlike the official review, I didn't find it heavy at crawling speeds - I actually liked it. However, at city speeds, I felt some strange disconnect between the steering input and the actual degree that the vehicle turned. I somehow didn't feel that the turn angle was proportional to the input. All these are certainly not deal breakers, and easy to get used to.

Quote:
What was the brake noise? Pads rubbing against the disc or something else? Was the noise not there while braking at higher speeds?
The noise was at crawling speeds under steady constant braking. I couldn't identify the source of the noise, but it was like a grr... my guess is a worn-out brake pad. Didn't hear anything at higher speeds. I rather liked the performance of the brakes.

Quote:
When you say atrocious build quality what exactly are you referring to? The basic structure of the vehicle or the interior parts? Is the sheet metal/steel used for the body not strong enough? Are the welds/joints between panels not having good strength or is not proper?

By "heft" you are referring to the weight of the door. How did you actually feel or measure the weight of the door when the weight is on the hinges? By the force needed to move the door on the hinges or by the sound of the door shutting? Is the rear door of the S-Cross very light? Asking this since you made the comparison to the S-cross doors.

Again how did you find that the boot door is a tin can? By feeling the weight or by flexing the boot door panels?
My observation is based on the sound with which the door shuts.

This is my 2018 Creta

And this is the Safari

Not much difference as far as I could tell. Ditto for the boot. Tried flexing the panels, they did not budge excessively.

Quote:

1.5 lakh kilometers would roughly be 10 years of usage for most people. I do not know how one can judge if something will last that long or fail by just looking at something. A big part of how long something will last depends on the conditions of usage (roads, load carried and driving characteristics like speed, acceleration, braking etc.). Of course if there are a lot of examples of most of Tata cars falling apart within a certain period or by a certain number of kilometers, we can assume, that it could be true of this car as well unless proved otherwise.
Some more videos on interior quality:

The rear door bin isn't robust at all:

Ditto for the tray like thing on the door

Here's a shot if the cheap fabric on the rear armrest

2021 Tata Safari Review-img_20211203_171854.jpg

Conclusion

As I mentioned earlier, Safari is a competent package which is let down by poor material and build quality (A.K.A how well pieces are put together).

To me, the Tucson feels 30% better compared to the Gold variant (~10% difference in price). However, more entry level variants of the Safari make more financial sense. To be honest, the Tucson is from a higher category than the entry models of the Safari - so it is somewhat expected to be superior.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2021 at 19:01. Reason: Typo
buzzy_boy is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks