Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 14:11   #3091
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Any BHP-ian has checked their tracking grid online and has it moved ahead?
Yes Nikhil, I see my booking status has been changed to 'Order Processed' now on the portal. Booking date was 8-Oct-2021 and estimated delivery date is 28-Jan-2022 to 12-Feb-2022.
snallagatla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:39   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If the engine (oil filter) design is causing the issue and the same is applicable to Hector and Harrier as well - how is the Compass 2.0 MJD a 5-star rated Euro NCAP product? Basic design is unlikely to change for each market, right?
Apparently, Stellantis and other manufacturers who use the engine in right hand drive configuration might have taken advantage of the fact that NCAPs (Euro NCAP/ANCAP) have rating extension policies for different fuel types and different hands of drive based on certain criteria without actually performing a test.

This is necessary because Euro NCAP, though headquartered in Belgium, issues ratings even for some right hand-drive markets like the UK.

Here is ANCAP's protocol for rating extension, for example (they tested the Compass themselves in RHD configuration with a 2.4L petrol engine instead of sharing Euro NCAP ratings like they often do otherwise). It's part of Appendix 1, under "h) Driver location (left- hand-drive, right-hand drive)"
(credit for digging this out from ANCAP's website goes to BHPian rpm)

It still does not definitively prove anything, and personally I still choose to wait for an NCAP anywhere in the world to perform a driver-side ODB test on a right-hand drive car fitted with the 2-litre Stellantis MultiJet engine before even attempting to draw any conclusions based on rumours.

Do check out BHPian rpm's very informative post (The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021) on the matter.

Last edited by ron178 : 14th November 2021 at 15:05. Reason: member->BHPian
ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 14:45   #3093
rpm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So the issue is with the way the engine is designed? Or the way TATA and others have compromised on the platform?

If the engine (oil filter) design is causing the issue and the same is applicable to Hector and Harrier as well - how is the Compass 2.0 MJD a 5-star rated Euro NCAP product? Basic design is unlikely to change for each market, right?

Or are you/they suggesting that all three of the competition - Harrier, Compass and Hector - are structurally compromised for the Indian market?
Allow me to chime in here.

Link (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review) to ram87pune's earlier post.

First, I think what ram87pune describes to be an issue is that the MJD 2.0 and the concerned oil filter seems to positioned towards the right side by design, irrespective of RHD or LHD. This could potentially cause a problem for RHD cars. Why? Because the offset deformable barrier is positioned or offset towards the driver; so if you are in an LHD vehicle, the offset barrier is also towards the left. Similarly for a RHD vehicle, the barrier is towards the right, because that is where the driver sits in each of these respective cases. This could potentially pose a problem in the frontal offset deformable barrier test for the RHD 2.0 MJD vehicles because:

a) The deformable barrier is towards the right.
b) The engine and oil filter is also towards the right.

Naturally, in such a case, a collision with the offset barrier has more of a tendency to push the engine and related components back into the driver compartment, because both the barrier and the engine are on the right side. The oil filter on MJD 2.0 RHD Compass is located near the driver footwell, but for an LHD Compass, it would be towards the passenger footwell, and hence pose no problem in the offset test, at the very least.

Now just to be sure that there is some credibility in this theory, I'll let you hear it from Alejandro Furas (Secretary General Global NCAP), who explains this concept using the Latin Swift, and Indian Swift, at 8:17.

Credits to BHPian ron178 for making me aware of this nugget.

Now this brings us to the question, why did EURO NCAP extend a 5-star rating to the RHD 2.0 MJD Jeep Compass, when they actually tested it in the LHD configuration? It may or may not have something to do with the fact that EURO NCAP and ANCAP can potentially share each other's results (since ANCAP updated its protocol to align with EURO NCAP's), and the application of a star rating, specifically this part:
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211114134651.png

This could potentially allow Jeep to use the 5-star rating of the RHD 2.4 Petrol Compass which was tested in the offset test at ANCAP, and extend it to the 2.0 MJD RHD. I'm putting these suggestions out there; these aren't and shouldn't be used as conclusive proofs of what exactly happened in the Compass' case. This is speculation.

I'll link an observation (The 2nd-gen Mahindra XUV500, coming in Q3-2021) I made in an earlier post about 2.0 MJD RHDs and crash tests. You can also find a video showing the placement of the oil filter on the Indian Compass at the end of that post.

So, to sum it up, if ram87pune's sources are to be believed, the intrusion issue could potentially arise in any car which is:
a) RHD
b) Has 2.0 MJD

The severity of it, I cannot comment on. It could potentially lead to a loss of some points in the foot region. Of course, how many points would be lost could also vary on a car to car basis, as well as what workaround/solution each manufacturer is deploying to overcome this, assuming it is an issue.

And in case you are wondering why can't they just move the oil filter elsewhere, this is what ram87pune had to say about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Also according to my sources Tata is currently working on making the Harrier and the New Safari for that matter score a better rating at GNCAP but even then they both will be 4 star rated. Timeframe for these changes is unknown. This is because the engine comes packed from FCA's plant in Ranjangaon and Tata cannot make any mechanical changes to it. Even the smallest of ECU changes need to go through FCA.

Edit: The timing for BHPian ron178's post couldn't have been better.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th November 2021 at 20:01. Reason: As requested
rpm is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 18:22   #3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
Yes Nikhil, I see my booking status has been changed to 'Order Processed' now on the portal. Booking date was 8-Oct-2021 and estimated delivery date is 28-Jan-2022 to 12-Feb-2022.
And this is why I'm annoyed. I booked on the 7th with no updates so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211114171317_samsung-internet.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211114171336_samsung-internet.jpg  

Old 14th November 2021, 19:30   #3095
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone who booked MX Petrol got any updates at all? I booked within 30 minutes on-line as soon as the booking window opened on the 7th for a relative, and even now, the booking has not got to the order processed state. I think the MX bookings, especially those made on the 7th, will be made to languish in this state for a long long time to come by the consultant's algorithm.

Also they need to change how they use the statuses. The "order processed" should appear within a reasonable time of booking. All it means that is that the company has taken a formal order from the customer and will add it to the production demand. The next status "Order under planning" can be used when the vehicle is waiting for production to be scheduled.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211114_192139.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 14th November 2021 at 19:31.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 20:32   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baluprasanna View Post
And this is why I'm annoyed. I booked on the 7th with no updates so far.
I can understand your frustration, I would feel the same way if I were in your position. I guess, my booking model MX Diesel is the least desired one and requires very few semiconductor chips compared to AdrenoX models.
snallagatla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 21:22   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavarisvalerian View Post
Received delivery of my white AX7 L AT, and just had enough time to bring it home and park before the pooja tomorrow.

First impressions so far:
a.) Feels more Kodiaq than Xuv500 from the inside
d.) The vehicle looks smaller in pics from the front (more like a sonet or a kushaq). Its from the side profile and when you are sitting inside, one really begins to comprehend the size of the car
e.) I have not tested out all the features within the car yet - like alexa, etc. The first thing I did check out while collecting was if the wireless charging was working with all the news around removing those chips. Was not sure if it was for the next batches in production or the ones in delivery.

I would like to work an ownership report, and looking for guidance from the senior bhpians on the forum here to make sure I am doing it right for the forum here. Request to please let me know if I could work with a mentor or two here
Many congratulations on your new XUV 700, so what was the status on wireless charging? Was it working? Also, please appraise us on the insurance, did you go with the dealer or got any discount based on quote from outside? Eager to read your review.

Last edited by Raghunath Singh : 14th November 2021 at 21:23. Reason: Typo
Old 14th November 2021, 21:43   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm View Post
This could potentially allow Jeep to use the 5-star rating of the RHD 2.4 Petrol Compass which was tested in the offset test at ANCAP, and extend it to the 2.0 MJD RHD. I'm putting these suggestions out there; these aren't and shouldn't be used as conclusive proofs of what exactly happened in the Compass' case.
I had asked the question to Australian NCAP earlier this year about extending the 5-star rating received for petrol Jeep Compass to the 2.0 multijet variant as well. I received a reply that the same rating was extended to all variants of jeep compass after a "thorough review" of the technical information provided by Jeep.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-ancap_compass.jpg
Meph1st0 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 01:35   #3099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Also they need to change how they use the statuses. The "order processed" should appear within a reasonable time of booking. All it means that is that the company has taken a formal order from the customer and will add it to the production demand. The next status "Order under planning" can be used when the vehicle is waiting for production to be scheduled.
I think this online order tracking is just another marketing gimmick by Mahindra! I know people who have taken delivery of their XUV 700 and the tracking is still stuck at "Booking Complete". In my case, the delivery of my AX7 P AT was slated for 9th Nov, tracking still shows "Booking Complete" and the dealer has no answers regarding when the vehicle is expected from the factory. It's a god-awful mess, IMHO! Personally, I'm tired of even chasing the Customer Case because the loop is unending: They say get in touch with the dealer for updates, Dealer says please check with Customer Care. Vicious circle! It's almost a week today and there's been no update, from the date of supposed delivery.
Old 15th November 2021, 11:55   #3100
BHPian

Friends seeing the trends and news it may take a couple of months for a customer like me who has booked a car after 50K booking and that too AX7 L model unless something good happens next year to resolve chip issues.

If Mahindra asks us to take a stripped-down version of AX7 L then it would be wise to see other SUV's available unless Mahindra commits to upgrading them to the full version when chips are available (Not sure if this is a possible but good strategy to convince and sell the car)

Any comparable/alternative model apart from Safari within 30L range with 7 seaters existing/launching in a couple of months.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 15th November 2021 at 12:01.
Old 15th November 2021, 12:38   #3101
BHPian

Just saw a video on YouTube with the Front Parking Sensors installed on the XUV 700. The black accessory sure looks like an eyesore on the front facade. Least they could have done is provided body-coloured sensors.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20211115_123527.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_20211115_122956.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:16   #3102
BHPian

Strangely, there is a used XUV700 AX7 Petrol on sale in carwale
Old 15th November 2021, 13:20   #3103
BHPian

I took a long-ish test drive of the AX7 L Petrol AT on the weekend. Test drive route contained 2 lane state highways filled with traffic, single-lane roads, a short pothole-ridden stretch, and a relatively wider bypass road.

For context, my current ride is a 6-year-old Volkswagen Vento 1.6 MPI Highline, manual transmission. I'll try to make some comparisons with the same. I was originally on the lookout for an upgrade in the CSUV segment, and now XUV700 is on the shortlist.

1. Engine & Gearbox combination is lovely. Engine noise is barely audible in the cabin except during hard accelerations and the gear shifts are smooth. Gearbox did exactly what I wanted it to do, and hence I never missed the paddle shifters, or never felt the need to switch to manual mode. I didn't observe any turbo-lag, and if at all anything was there, it was well masked by the gearbox.

2. I was a bit concerned about how a big car would feel on the narrow roads of Kerala. If anyone is having similar concerns, rest easy! The car nicely wraps around you, and you will soon forget that you are driving a big car. It nicely wrapped around me once it started rolling and I didn't feel that I'm driving anything bigger than my Vento.

3. Steering is very light when you start off and it weights decently as you pick up speed. But it is no match for Vento's lovely steering. Even then, I felt that it would be a good handler considering the transition from a sedan to an SUV. I was not expecting XUV700 to be a good handler in comparison with the Vento. But it is not bad either. This is definitely one of the best handling big SUVs out there (Don't expect it to be a corner craver and you would be happy)

4. I expect the steering to weigh up a bit more in diesel versions. Drive modes should help. The sales advisor mentioned the same, but I would reserve my final comments until I test drive one.

5. Suspension is softer when compared to the Vento, and it took the potholes very well. Didn't feel the need to slow down on patchy surfaces. The ride was comfy enough. I haven't driven Hexa or Safari, so I can't make any direct comparison comments. But I'm one of those guys who want a balance between soft ride and handling. And I think XUV700 does it right for an SUV of this size. Again, not even close to my Vento though.

6. I was pleasantly surprised by the turning radius. I don't know what the actual number is, but it is short enough to take sharp u-turns effortlessly.

7. I observed minor body roll in certain uneven stretches. I don't know how it would feel in the second and 3rd row, but it wasn't much from a driver's perspective.

8. Ergonomics was spot on for me. Full marks to Mahindra here. It hardly took a few seconds for me to reach a comfortable driving position thanks to the electronic seat adjustments with good range. The pedal heights were perfect and the footwell was well laid out. Brake and clutch pedals in my Vento have long travel and it was uncomfortable for me. XUV700 was perfect for me in all aspects - Seat, Pedals, Arm Rest, Foot Rest & Access to Switches

9. Hill hold assist worked beautifully. Features like this would make driving effortless on that long tiring day.

10. Couldn't test any of the ADAS features. But I'm happy that Mahindra has included it in the package. I'm 100% confident that crash prevention systems such as Autonomous emergency breaking would be highly useful in a number of scenarios. Adaptive cruise control would be a boon. I frequently use normal cruise control in my Vento and I'm sure that adaptive cruise control would eliminate the pain points.

11. I consider myself a tech nerd and I love my electronics gadgets. But I didn't try out any features in the infotainment system as I was very much engrossed in driving the car. The startup animation is dope and the MID & infotainment system contributes a lot to the cabin ambiance. I would need a second visit to experience all features. But for now, the only comment is it feels rich & premium.

12. 360-degree cameras and blind-spot monitors are a big plus. For the first half of the test drive, my mechanical memory always made me look at the mirrors. But once I started driving through the ultra-narrow roads, I realized the benefit of these systems. It helps that you can always activate the 360 cams at the click of a button.

13. First and second-row seats were very comfortable and spacious. I don't need the 3rd row. If I end up buying XUV700, I would just fold the 3rd-row seats almost permanently and get a parcel tray or luggage cover as an accessory.

The showroom experience was nice. The sales advisor was a friendly person and we had a friendly chat. On-road price for Diesel AX7L AT AWD was very close to 30 lakhs in Kerala, including an extended warranty for 4th & 5th years. He said accessories are not mandatory. I expect the final price to be still above 29 lakhs. RTO expense itself was very close to 5 lakhs. I envy some of you folks from some other states with better tax slabs.

Overall, I came back impressed after the test drive. I will be taking a test drive of Diesel AT in the coming weeks. This is definitely one of the contenders for my car upgrade.
The Alchemist is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:29   #3104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Any comparable/alternative model apart from Safari within 30L range with 7 seaters existing/launching in a couple of months.
There is the MG Hector Plus, the Hyundai Alcazar and of course the Innova Crysta.

If cardekho is to believed, then the new Hyundai Tucson 7-seater is launching in Jan at a price of 25 lakhs. I don't believe this news, but if it does launch at that price and in that time-frame, I would definitely go take a look !
yogishkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:25   #3105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogishkamath View Post
There is the MG Hector Plus, the Hyundai Alcazar and of course the Innova Crysta.

If cardekho is to believed, then the new Hyundai Tucson 7-seater is launching in Jan at a price of 25 lakhs. I don't believe this news, but if it does launch at that price and in that time-frame, I would definitely go take a look !
Thanks, Hector plus comes in only 6 seaters in AT hence the last option as looking for 7 seaters. IMO, Innova looks outdated wrt cars in discussion although very comfortable. I felt Safari is better than Alcazar for my needs.
Good if Tucson 7-seater comes within 30L.

Last edited by aka_iitd : 15th November 2021 at 14:30.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks