Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 02:06   #3196
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
Notice how the guide lines are going upwards. This is because the system is calibrated for camera placement next to the rear logo. So the original view angle is from top down. Mahindra will need to recalibrate the guide lines in AX5 for new camera placement in a software update.

I fail to understand why inspite of there being a dedicated camera slot, Mahindra isn't offering a proper accessory and instead fitting it like some cheap aftermarket camera.
Tanmay007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 08:24   #3197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Security_Guy View Post
On this note , is it advisable to downsize the 18" (235 60 R18) OEM tyres to 17" (235 65 R17 ) ?
One use case for the mild offroaders would be getting more options in the AT tyres.
For the AWD variant I booked , I was planning to replace the MRF wanderer tyres with Pirelli scorpion ATR ( 235/65 R 17) !
Do we any clear advantages or disadvantages in downsizing and in converting HT to AT tyres ? I won't mind slight increase in NVH levels.
Moving from HT to AT tyres will cause the following:-
1. Highway tyre noise will increase.
2. You will pick up a lot of pebbles in the treads - contributing to #1!
3. Your fuel consumption will worsen by 1 kmpl or so.

If you plan to do mild off-roading and badroading do go in for 17" wheels and tyres.
Even in AT tyres there are many choices. Eg. Continental Cross Contact AT is an agressive off-road pattern. Whereas the Continental Cross Contact LX2 is meant for 80% highway and 20% offroad.
Ask around and take a call,
sridhar-v is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:40   #3198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Moving from HT to AT tyres will cause the following:-
1. Highway tyre noise will increase.
2. You will pick up a lot of pebbles in the treads - contributing to #1!
3. Your fuel consumption will worsen by 1 kmpl or so.
Handling will be blunted marginally (not that it matters on a tall SUV) but the ride quality will improve (becomes softer).
I believe that the AT tyres are tough and greatly reduce the chances of flat tyres (especially the ones caused by nails). I may be lucky but I never had a single flat tyre in my 11 years ownership of the Forester running on AT tyres.
This is one change I will be planning also (AT tyres with taller sidewalls) whenever I hold of my XUV700 AWD.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:55   #3199
BHPian

Now that many here in this forum and elsewhere have started getting their XUV700 , is the worry of new Mahindra vehicles having niggles still there? since not many issues are seen in social media.
werfish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:10   #3200
BHPian

Update: Sales person from dealer called me. He is telling that they forwarded my mail to Mahindra and Mahindra mentioned that if I am not accepting the vehicle, it will be considered as fresh booking and will take 7 months and will not be eligible for price protection. I told him to reply by mail and will tweet my concern to Mahindra directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manav274 View Post
Hi Sir,

Firstly as u can see there is water all over the back panel, And if it's just the nut that is rusted, then it can be easily dealt with. Just get it replaced . But if you see any rust on the vehicle body then it’s altogether a different issue. Scratches in dashboard, Not sure if they are minor or major, because minors are there in my XUV700 also.
Thanks for the advice. It is not just rusting of nuts. I could sense somethings are wrong. Front seat plastic covers were removed, display panel plastic sheet removed, some minor scratches in the painting etc. Service guy told me that they are getting cars wrapped in plastic stickers are they are removing it just before PDI. I could see all the vehicles in the bay are with plastic covers in seat and display panel. Why only this vehicle is not that way?

I got a negative vibe while inspecting the vehicle. These issues may be minor, but do I have to keep this negative vibe and pay 26 lacs?
ambadan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:51   #3201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Update: Sales person from dealer called me. He is telling that they forwarded my mail to Mahindra and Mahindra mentioned that if I am not accepting the vehicle, it will be considered as fresh booking and will take 7 months and will not be eligible for price protection. I told him to reply by mail and will tweet my concern to Mahindra directly.
Sir Respectfully,

I get your point totally, even i faced certain -ve vibes from the dealer itself, which resulted me in yelling curses and saying I am cancelling the booking . But that was all sorted and accounted for.

W.r.t plastics and protective film being removed thats happening everywhere, bcoz the touchscreen plastics will be removed for the upgrade and updates. Just yesterday i visited the MnM service centre and they told me that for the first service we will have to remove the display panel sheet.

And if you are willing to wait and not at all at a brink to upgrade, then it's all good. Rest I will ask you again to have connect with dealer and ask whats the reason for all the plastic removal. And if there is a sound justification then its your call.

Have a nice day

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthbs View Post
Saw an update on the same lines for Android Auto is also not working, is this true, can the members who have taken the delivery please confirm. This is a bummer to have both of them not working.
Yes Sir, it's true, till date it's not working. Still showing coming soon.

Had a word with MnM POC, he said that it will be done by November end.

Fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthbs View Post
Saw an update on the same lines for Android Auto is also not working, is this true, can the members who have taken the delivery please confirm. This is a bummer to have both of them not working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
For your sake I really hope Mahindra is able to provide OTA updates. It would be disappointing if in 2021 people still need to visit service center for software updates.
Sir, No OTA updates planned till date or in future as told by MnM POC . Its really gonna be a bummer to go to service station to get updates.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 22nd November 2021 at 12:08. Reason: back to back posts merged
manav274 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:56   #3202
BHPian

Quote:
I got a negative vibe while inspecting the vehicle. These issues may be minor, but do I have to keep this negative vibe and pay 26 lacs?
My opinion, May be going against tide here, Please just go for new booking. It's not because that small rust but mainly because of "peace of mind". Worst case scenario, if you find any fault in vehicle, you will keep blaming yourself that you should have gone with your gut feeling.

so here are things i will list as "Pros"
1. As per rumor, first quarter next year Mahindra is getting better chipset ( Snapdragon )
2. You will stay away from initial niggles ( if any ) and get relatively niggle free experience.
3. This is also your chance to change variant/color/engine/power train if you want to.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:19   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
Notice how the guide lines are going upwards. This is because the system is calibrated for camera placement next to the rear logo. So the original view angle is from top down. Mahindra will need to recalibrate the guide lines in AX5 for new camera placement in a software update.

I fail to understand why inspite of there being a dedicated camera slot, Mahindra isn't offering a proper accessory and instead fitting it like some cheap aftermarket camera.

Observing the video closely, it looks like the placement of camera is not at fault.

Since the OE installation guide itself have a clear diagram and pictorial representation with clear instructions , it's highly unlikely the whole Mahindra team didn't notice the climbing lines !

The culprit seems to be the orientation of the camera.

If the installation guy anyhow rotate the camera by 180 degrees , this should bring the guidelines back to the ground .

Wonder , how the guy with the laptop ignored this ?
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:59   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
If the installation guy anyhow rotate the camera by 180 degrees , this should bring the guidelines back to the ground .
If you rotate the camera 180 the feed will be upside down, you'd then need to flip the feed which might lead to orientation issue.

The fix is either adjusting angle of the camera or calibrate guideline via software.

Quote:
Since the OE installation guide itself have a clear diagram and pictorial representation with clear instructions , it's highly unlikely the whole Mahindra team didn't notice the climbing lines !
Looking at how the camera installation seems like an after-market accessory and it's poor quality I'd say the team that designed this is incompetent. People are under the false impression that the Mahindra's in-house team has designed all the advanced features of this car, they haven't. Reputed 3rd party solution providers such as Intel, Blackberry, Bosch have designed most of the complex tech stuff which includes the 360 camera as well.

Notice how the AX7 (non-luxury) with only a reverse camera also gets adaptive guidelines and basic park assist. This is likely part of original spec given out to Bosch to integrate with the OS. The accessory doesn't include any of this which makes me think it was added later by Mahindra without going through Bosch or the original developers.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 22nd November 2021 at 13:22.
Tanmay007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:10   #3205
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. It is not just rusting of nuts. I could sense somethings are wrong. Front seat plastic covers were removed, display panel plastic sheet removed, some minor scratches in the painting etc. Service guy told me that they are getting cars wrapped in plastic stickers are they are removing it just before PDI. I could see all the vehicles in the bay are with plastic covers in seat and display panel. Why only this vehicle is not that way?
?
In my 2007 Grand Vitara, bought used in 2015, I came across surface rusting in a heck of lot of places. Mind you - this is a car built and assembled in Japan. I just wiped out all the elements with a rust convertor and all was well.

Cars are designed to be parked in the open and get subjected to all the elements. All fastners are either blackodised or zinc/cadmium or other exotic plated. A spot of rust is quite possible on one of the blackodised surfaces. In my 30 years of mechanical manufacturing career this was a common event. We just tackled it and moved on.
It will cost you Rs 10/- to replace the screw.Do you want to wait 7 months, pay atleast 50-70k more and hope that you wont get even 1 rust spot on a blackodised screw?
Re. the plastic covers- are you planning to drive around with plastic covers for the life of the car? And what will you do if you get a mold or fungus infestation on your seats 2 years down the line?. It happens if you come in from the rain and sit on the seat in damp clothes. Tackle it and move on.
sridhar-v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:13   #3206

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
6. In the automatic variants of the XUV700 equipped with EPB, there is an inbuilt safety feature which does not disengage the EPB until the driver puts on his/her seatbelt. Waiting for confirmation on the same from fellow bhpians.
No, it's not completely true.

Cold Start - -If no seatbelt then EPB is engaged and manually can be disengaged by user. If seatbelt and autohold on then EPB will be disengaged automatically once throttle is applied .
manav274 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:16   #3207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is one change I will be planning also (AT tyres with taller sidewalls) whenever I hold of my XUV700 AWD.
Congrats on the booking.
Do post a detailed review of your AWD XUV700 when you get it. After taking it offroad please.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 13:57   #3208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Cars are designed to be parked in the open and get subjected to all the elements. All fastners are either blackodised or zinc/cadmium or other exotic plated. A spot of rust is quite possible on one of the blackodised surfaces. In my 30 years of mechanical manufacturing career this was a common event. We just tackled it and moved on.
It will cost you Rs 10/- to replace the screw.Do you want to wait 7 months, pay atleast 50-70k more and hope that you wont get even 1 rust spot on a blackodised screw?
Re. the plastic covers- are you planning to drive around with plastic covers for the life of the car? And what will you do if you get a mold or fungus infestation on your seats 2 years down the line?. It happens if you come in from the rain and sit on the seat in damp clothes. Tackle it and move on.
When we think in a practical way, your point is making complete sense. However, when i mentioned the issues with sales person, he told me that we can allocate a new vehicle, but you wait. I like XUV700 and it ticks all my needs.

Question is whether to forget the things i found and say "yes" to them. As mytbhp_turbo mentioned, it is peace of mind. If I go ahead and book, we will link all small niggles to this decision and may not be happy.

If Mahindra (as per dealer and no official mail till now) is trying to arm twist us saying it will be considered as new booking, i can't budge.

I am so happy with my Vento TSI petrol auto and I am planning a replacement as it is 8 years old. I can wait for the new one.
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:32   #3209
BHPian

Quote:
I am so happy with my Vento TSI petrol auto and I am planning a replacement as it is 8 years old. I can wait for the new one.
My 2 cents. If your gut says so and you can wait for new one, please wait. When I was having discussions on my Thar with the dealer at time of delivery, the very fact that I was willing to get out and cancel my booking at all times during my discussion helped me immensely in getting what I wanted ultimately.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 14:50   #3210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
C'mon - all it needs is a little WD40 sprayed and wiped. There are few parts in the car which will rust if not used regular nd I don't see a big issue with it. If you are not convinced, ask the mechanics to unbolt in front of you and use a new screw instead.
Exactly what I was about to type!

Rejecting a car over a rusted screw and a few scratches on the dash? That's just too much.

Every car will have its imperfection. When so many of them who have booked are waiting, if you get your XUV 7OO, you should go ahead with the delivery.

Negative vibe or positive vibe, they are just vibes.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd November 2021 at 14:51.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks