Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 01:19   #3016
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
The likes of Amazon / Flipkart and every other e commerce and delivery service has spoiled us with too much transparency to say the least !

The complexity for an end to end product manufacturing is beyond our imagination and it's funny to see some folks losing their calm for a delay of a month or two. Specially given the complex/ dynamic situation we are in today with regards to supply chain disruption.

Not to mention the infinite number of combinations in which the vehicle can be configured.

Just for Trivia, when the next gen Swift was launched in 2011 August, we had to wait for 6 months for the ZDi variant in spite of being among the 1st few bookings from a Tier 2 city

All I can suggest is enjoy the pain of the waiting period it's a moment to cherish when you finally get your hands on it
There exists a similarity between Mahindra and Amazon, and that deserves respect no doubt. Both Mahindra and Amazon have shown how an industry can be improved by a drastic amount just by changing how you do things. Mahindra with its 200bhp MStallion and 450Nm MHawk engines has indeed disrupted the automotive industry in the same manner, Amazon has revolutionized the e-commerce industry with a consumer centric approach. While some of us may feel spoilt by it, it is the mannerism with which competitive consumer-based market dynamics are created. This is exactly what Jio did and this causes a disruption in the market. It's just that when there's a lot of coal available to burn, the idea of a nuclear plant seems like a luxury.(Indeed Mahindra and Amazon are both diamonds in their respective sectors)

Now coming to the main context, it's not that people are not willing to wait. I mean, people can and do wait. As it's said, "Good things come to those who wait", and XUV7OO is the best thing going on South of 30L price bracket. Now there are few facts to consider such as :
  1. People getting multiple bookings under their names, one such instance where the person had not even opted to book one
  2. The dealers not sharing the mobile number and email address of some of the customers with Mahindra
  3. Wrong variant/configuration chosen by the dealer
  4. Reports of people who booked on a later date(the same configuration and color) getting deliveries earlier than the folks who booked on 7th October.
and so on, that has created a sense of doubt and a need of transparency towards the whole process

What is simply being asked is that the company be transparent, with the delivery dates and algorithms that they're utilizing. Not to calm the impatient folks, but as a matter of Goodwill towards its loyal as well as new customers. Furthermore, there are instances of shady practices being followed by the dealers relating to insurance, again which is being highlighted to the Company that has been the issue here.

Concluding here, I'll also share a fun trivia: A decade back, when the original XUV5OO was launched, folks had to wait for more than 8-10 months after their bookings to get one. It was so in-demand that Mahindra had to stop the bookings and bring out a lottery system, much akin to this algorithm(in no way being compared to a lottery) that we are hearing about. While we got ours early, one of my family friends had to wait for more than 6 months to get theirs. This was the time when they could've gone for any other rival brand with a waiting period of not more than a month. That is plain and simple brand loyalty on display, and why a lot of us would simply ask Mahindra to be transparent, rather than criticizing and complaining about the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
1. Tata & Mahindra are sitting on an order book of 300,000!

2. Tata has halved the number of chips used in one specific component.

3. Tata looking to convert application-specific chips to standard chips.

4. M&M has created step-down variants of the in-demand XUV700 SUV, which lack some features.
It's as amazing as the Indian companies itself, with the amount of workarounds these are guys are finding to negate the ill-effects of the semiconductor chip shortage. Tata and Mahindra indeed make us Indians feel the power of 'Jugaad'.

Edit: A big thanks as always to Ram87pune for his frequent news and updates of XUV7OO. You get the excitement running as always.
Also, I had a short talk with a birdie at one of the consulting firms. Won't divulge much now as per his instructions, but I will soon get back with relevant information.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 11th November 2021 at 01:32. Reason: Added a note
Moto_Bear is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 07:00   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
First and foremost a big thumbs up to Team Mahindra who have come out with flying colours with the XUV700 performing almost flawlessly in GNCAP test, just as I had predicted a few months back. Now according to my sources, if GNCAP tests the AX7 variant then it will score an even higher score of around 43-44 for adult occupant protection because of the presence of a knee airbag for the driver.
Thank you for the information, however, the adult occupant protection is scored out of 17.00 and not 49.00 (the latter is for child occupant protection).

The XUV700 has already scored the maximum 4.000 points for knee, femur and pelvis and all modifiers to this region, if any were applied in the first place, have been removed. Hence an improvement to knee protection would not improve its score, unless the knee airbag somehow affects the tibias. In any case the worst performing tibia would still be yellow, for the front passenger, preventing a full 16.00 ODB score.
ron178 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 07:17   #3018
BHPian

The variant tested for side impact was AX7L - why did the side curtain airbags did not deploy?

Good question asked in this video:

telugite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 07:47   #3019
BHPian

Ironically there was a time when people would not touch cars with poor mileage, especially those with single digit. A lot of good cars Fiat Palio/Sienna 1.6, Cielo etc. failed because of this. And today there is a waiting list for cars with similar fuel efficiency and almost four times the cost yet we are not happy with the way fuel prices are moving up.
Old 11th November 2021, 09:01   #3020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by telugite View Post
The variant tested for side impact was AX7L - why did the side curtain airbags did not deploy?

Good question asked in this video:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=p7xhZ90cizw
This was already discussed previously. It seems they sent only two vehicles for 3 tests (Front, Side and ADAS). As front and side impact tests were to be tested with 2 airbags (base variant feature), other airbags were disabled it seems.
drshajul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 09:58   #3021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Ironically there was a time when people would not touch cars with poor mileage, especially those with single digit. A lot of good cars Fiat Palio/Sienna 1.6, Cielo etc. failed because of this.
I think sensitivity to mileage also varies segment to segment. Cars like Palio would still fail as mileage is a very important factor in that segment. However in some of the higher segments, it does not appear to matter that much. I see Hector Petrols selling like hot cakes in Delhi, even though everyone buying them fully expect bad mileage now
nasir88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 11:46   #3022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

Here's some latest dope on the XUV700.

2. Mahindra has already started preliminary work on hydrogen powered fuel cell technology and it may debut with the next generation of the XUV.

3. Contrary to reports, this generation of the XUV700 will not see a fully electric variant but there are high chances that a hybrid or plug in hybrid variant will come during the mid-life refresh of the product.
Now this is what gives hope to all those who skipped buying this car for now, like me.

Let my current car run for 4 or 5 more years, when hopefully such hybrids takeover the market, allowing for competitive pricing. In the end, we might get a superbly built car with cheaper and cleaner fuel would be a dream come true if it materialises.

For all those who didn't find the mid variants VFM, this is something to look up to. I really hope M&M start taking up this just as enthusiastically as Tata is, otherwise the 700 might become undesirable pretty soon.
APB98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:03   #3023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by telugite View Post
This has already been answered just a few posts above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
GNCAP specifically mandates testing the base variant only so as to ensure their rating applies to every variant in line up. The AX7L or AX3/5 you see will have all the additional safety features removed to match the MX variant.
---

One of the first owner videos with an initial niggle -- the settings button stopped working. I'm glad it's a software only issue as those can be easily fixed.

Last edited by Tanmay007 : 11th November 2021 at 13:07.
Tanmay007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:27   #3024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by APB98 View Post
Let my current car run for 4 or 5 more years, when hopefully such hybrids takeover the market, allowing for competitive pricing. In the end, we might get a superbly built car with cheaper and cleaner fuel would be a dream come true if it materialises.
I am not sure if manufacturers are going invest in hybrid as the government tax structure for hybrid vehicles is not favourable and the suitable course of action is pure EV for the manufacturers, owing to the incentives available.

This point has been reiterated by several heads of sales of different OEMs.

Hydrogen seems a better solution (end product is H^2O) than the LiIon batteries w.r.t end of the day pollution (Battery waste management would be the talk in 2030) aspect but the progress chart of EV is higher than Hydrogen. Also, H^2 storage and safety would be a concern for a market like ours wherein we are still getting educated on vehicle safety aspects.

Majority of our drivers still have to learn rules and manufacturers have to stop adhering to minimum required check list.

So probable outcome for 2025 seems more EVs in India rather than hybrid, and that too in the 15 lac rupee bracket. Fingers crossed 🤞
KapilD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:39   #3025
BHPian

I just got a call from dealer for confirming the variant details AX7 D MT Midnight Black which I booked on 7th from dealer. He mentioned I should be getting delivery date by end of this month and he was sure the vehicle will be delivered by end of Dec.
But I haven't got any info officially from Mahindra apart from the recent standard response talking about delivery month intimation.

My guess is that dealer has an extra/cancelled vehicle at his side which can be delivered to me or they have a separate quota as I have booked with dealer directly or he is giving me wrong information.

will keep you folks posted on this!
RachhaMan10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 13:48   #3026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachhaMan10 View Post
I just got a call from dealer for confirming the variant details AX7 D MT Midnight Black which I booked on 7th from dealer. He mentioned I should be getting delivery date by end of this month and he was sure the vehicle will be delivered by end of Dec.
But I haven't got any info officially from Mahindra apart from the recent standard response talking about delivery month intimation.

My guess is that dealer has an extra/cancelled vehicle at his side which can be delivered to me or they have a separate quota as I have booked with dealer directly or he is giving me wrong information.

will keep you folks posted on this!
This Sounds Interesting. More so because it is from Bangalore where we have not heard much about deliveries.

If you dont mind, Can you pls let us know through which dealer and branch is this?
Old 11th November 2021, 14:35   #3027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Interesting piece on how Tata and Mahindra are dealing with the chip shortage. Sharing a few summary points:

1. Tata & Mahindra are sitting on an order book of 300,000!

4. M&M has created step-down variants of the in-demand XUV700 SUV, which lack some features.
While both these companies are dealing with orders & balancing chip supply issues to some success (measured on own parameters), the number of orders at 3 lakhs is staggering & unbelievable, which actually confirm the doubt that you have raised on your post.

Still Tata seems to have managed the chips shortage better in short term from perspective of company & customers, both. M&M will definitely be laughing all the way to bank as it's aspirational products are priced 1.5 times that of Tata's best sellers. Plus latter's dealers would be happy making quick cash for early deliveries.
Old 11th November 2021, 14:54   #3028
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...99271.html/amp

Honestly, I am not sure if this is genuine innovation or simply some PR agency doing their job to put a positive spin on things.
Can automobile companies having zero/minimal expertise in R&D of auto parts having electronics which include complex components like ICs(Integrated circuits) and software running on these ICs do this on critical components of an automobile and that too in such a short time?

Isn't it the case that all these technologies are developed by companies other than car manufacturing companies and then car manufacturers integrate these components in their car? So how can Tata exclusively reduce number of chips in a component?

I think option 4 which is to remove non-essential chip-dependent parts to be more practical at this point of time.

Rest seems to be a PR job.
neeraj0272 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 14:58   #3029
BHPian

I understand the luxury variant comes with Sony audio system. What does the non luxury AX variants come with? The SA had no idea when I enquired about this. They said they’ll probably give Mahindra speakers.

And for AX5, the specifications say that it comes with 6 speakers. This is including the tweeters? If yes, why do they have speaker provisions in the dashboard and in the boot?
Old 11th November 2021, 17:57   #3030

Booked AX7 L D MT on 7th.

Today I received mail regarding my delivery that date will be given by 25th November. The mail was in my spam folder.

Also had a chat with dealer he said, this variant will be delayed and expect timelines around feb end or march
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-a6c20c5913da442bba7de1e0845d0a51.png  

prakhar30 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks