Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2021, 07:16   #2866

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Do we have enough data to say this? Some counterpoints:

If it was just a matter of profitability, I don't think Mahindra would need to spend on a consultant.
Would never have enough data. But this isn't just anecdotal either. Some 30+ of us booked the car together on the 7th and only 3 have gotten delivery dates. While I know of a lot of friends getting delivery dates, who booked on the 8th. Like I said, there's no exhaustive data, but there ample to create plausible hypothesis.

People getting the same price on the 8th was for M&M to cover their base since it was the systems issue because of which added to cart didn't get checked out.

Again, spending on the consultant is really only a liability transfer, given they had faced a lot of backlash on Thar.
atsphenomenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:15   #2867
BHPian

One of the few (only?) videos dedicated to the XUV 7OO 5 seater variant (AX5 in this case).

While not a great fan of this reviewer ("badiya hai", "shaandaar hai" "aasaani se off-road kar sakte hain", "AX5 ka best feature hai iska panaromic Sun roof" ), but this is a detailed walk around nevertheless.

MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 09:17   #2868
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Any early reviews from select few who were lucky to get their XUV700? I am really curious to know the FE of petrol vehicle. More than 8, I stay and if anything less than 7, I quit!

Thanks!
Old 6th November 2021, 09:27   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsphenomenon View Post
Would never have enough data. But this isn't just anecdotal either. Some 30+ of us booked the car together on the 7th and only 3 have gotten delivery dates. While I know of a lot of friends getting delivery dates, who booked on the 8th. Like I said, there's no exhaustive data, but there ample to create plausible hypothesis.

People getting the same price on the 8th was for M&M to cover their base since it was the systems issue because of which added to cart didn't get checked out.
The profitability argument sounds too simplistic to me. I have a slightly different take on this.

1. I believe Mahindra will treat all bookings made with price protection as equal i.e. I don't think they will differentiate between a booking made on 7th Oct and one which was added to cart on 6th Oct but booked on say 8th Oct. I also think this is a fair thing to do. I don't see any point in penalizing folks who tried to book online but couldn't because of the website crash. This happened in my case and on 8th Oct I rushed to the dealer to book.

2. Mahindra would have already manufactured a few thousand (maybe more) cars even before bookings were taken. So they would have manufactured some quantity of all variants based on (a) their expectation of demand for various variants (b) available manufacturing capacity. For this lot they will essentially allot to everyone who has booked with price protection as mentioned in point 1 above. The allotment may not be random but may depend on demand from a specific region, managing expectations with certain large dealers etc.

In any case, I don't think there is any point in doubting the process. Mahindra is a large company with a reputation to protect. I don't think they will make these decisions solely on profitability (though it will definitely be one of the factors). Reputations are notoriously hard to build and easy to lose.
charade is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 10:19   #2870

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
The profitability argument sounds too simplistic to me. I have a slightly different take on this.

1. I believe Mahindra will treat all bookings made with price protection as equal i.e. I don't think they will differentiate between a booking made on 7th Oct and one which was added to cart on 6th Oct but booked on say 8th Oct. I also think this is a fair thing to do. I don't see any point in penalizing folks who tried to book online but couldn't because of the website crash. This happened in my case and on 8th Oct I rushed to the dealer to book.

2. Mahindra would have already manufactured a few thousand (maybe more) cars even before bookings were taken. So they would have manufactured some quantity of all variants based on (a) their expectation of demand for various variants (b) available manufacturing capacity. For this lot they will essentially allot to everyone who has booked with price protection as mentioned in point 1 above. The allotment may not be random but may depend on demand from a specific region, managing expectations with certain large dealers etc.

In any case, I don't think there is any point in doubting the process. Mahindra is a large company with a reputation to protect. I don't think they will make these decisions solely on profitability (though it will definitely be one of the factors). Reputations are notoriously hard to build and easy to lose.
I had a similar outlook, until I learnt more details from friends and acquaintances who had also booked; and is the reason I'm quite convinced the allotment algo is just a front end, with the back end being single pointedly focussed on maximizing profits. I'll elucidate my learnings; and one could make an informed pov, not necessarily in congruence to mine.
1) Folks who faced the 'systems issue' absolutely shouldn't be penalized. But I have many friends now who booked on the 8th with the increased price and already have a delivery date - some as early as Nov, a few in December.
2) You're right. They did have a few thousand cars already available - most of these (approx 80%) petrols. Most of these were also top end variants. Here's a few conundrums for one to ponder over:
a) If profit_max isn't the goal seek, howcome awd deliveries are happening in Nov - a model that was announced last minute. The product definitely wasn't ready available. What was available were the AX7s and the awd kits.
b) M&M had called quite a few folks beforehand to get details on preferred variant and color. Clearly, they did try to preempt variants demand.
c) You're right on the allocation quotas at a region and dealer level as well. Still, I personally know of people who've booked with the same dealer (I mean the same outlet/branch and not just the same dealership group) and yet 8th folks have a dbd while 7th folks with the SAME dealer don't. One could assume this is obviously because the variants might be different. What if I told you that not just the variant but the variant x color combo is exactly the same.

Do please understand, I don't particularly have a grudge against M&M, nor am I a disgruntled consumer. What I am though, is an enthusiastic potential M&M consumer, who now doubts the allocation process, purely due to too many 'outliers' examples. Clearly, these aren't exceptions to the rule, but the rule itself - one that goal seeks profit_max. And the complete lack of transparency around the process, isn't confidence inspiring either.
atsphenomenon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 12:17   #2871
BHPian

I personally don't believe Mahindra has focused on profitability for allotment. If that were the case every single of the 700 deliveries would be the luxury variant.

I believe the issue is plain and simple - supply shortage, they simply do not have the necessary parts to manufacture enough cars to match demand. Going by the delivery posts shared on social media, luxury variants are scarce, you'll notice just about 1 L variant for every 10 XUVs delivered.

Mahindra's fault here is transparency, all the frustration is because of missing schedules and templated customer support responses. By the first couple of days itself Mahindra knew how long it would take to deliver, either they should've stopped bookings or provided an estimated delivery period.

Since everything is online, it's fairly trivial for Mahindra to give out real time delivery estimates, they know exactly how many vehicles of each variant are being manufactured daily. Match that to the bookings and calculate a rough delivery estimate. Most of us don't even need an exact date at time of booking, even a month range is enough.
Tanmay007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 14:40   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay007 View Post
I personally don't believe Mahindra has focused on profitability for allotment.
Exactly, I do not buy the short-term profitability being the sole driver from a company who has seen years of market and with leadership who want to grow the company to a next level. I am sure their senior executives are smarter than focusing on short term bottomline.

If someone can find instances of same variant and colour booked under the same dealer on a later date scheduled for delivery before an earlier booking, then we can say there's something unfair. Also, what's fair for the end customer may not be fair for a dealer with which Mahindra has to maintain a long term relationship. So, yes, I do anticipate that the order of delivery date won't be in the order of booking even for same variant and color, as they would have spread out deliveries across cities ane dealers.

At a very high-level, I believe their algorithm will be optimising across multiple outcomes out of which even profitability (and long term revenue) may be one of the several criterias. Other may include orders that are already placed to their suppliers, anticipated availability of parts and raw material, buffer for spare parts for service etc.
Old 6th November 2021, 16:03   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
2) You're right. They did have a few thousand cars already available - most of these (approx 80%) petrols. Most of these were also top end variants. Here's a few conundrums for one to ponder over:
a) If profit_max isn't the goal seek, howcome awd deliveries are happening in Nov - a model that was announced last minute. The product definitely wasn't ready available. What was available were the AX7s and the awd kits.
c) You're right on the allocation quotas at a region and dealer level as well. Still, I personally know of people who've booked with the same dealer (I mean the same outlet/branch and not just the same dealership group) and yet 8th folks have a dbd while 7th folks with the SAME dealer don't. One could assume this is obviously because the variants might be different. What if I told you that not just the variant but the variant x color combo is exactly the same.

And the complete lack of transparency around the process, isn't confidence inspiring either.
I think we can agree to disagree here. I think there's more to this and immediate profitability.

But I'd like to point out that the AX7 AWD variant was part of the initial line up. It was the AX7L AWD that was announced later.

And I definitely agree with you that Mahindra can do better on the transparency aspect. They probably are trying to do that by having an online delivery tracker (which doesn't seem to be working at the moment) but surely they can do better.
charade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 19:48   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
More than 8, I stay and if anything less than 7, I quit!
You're talking about a 200 HP 7 seater Behemoth.
I'm not sure if it's wise to expect more than 5 to 7 in city traffic and may be around 12 - 14 in highways depending on your driving style.

If mileage is a criteria, eyes closed get the diesel. You can trust Mahindra to sort out DPF issues if any in future
Sk8r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 20:11   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
Still, I personally know of people who've booked with the same dealer (I mean the same outlet/branch and not just the same dealership group) and yet 8th folks have a dbd while 7th folks with the SAME dealer don't. One could assume this is obviously because the variants might be different. What if I told you that not just the variant but the variant x color combo is exactly the same..
This case is quite interesting. Can you please share more details on these two bookings you are referring to like some snippets of the bookings (email, sms or site booking) showing the details about these bookings with variant & dealer mentioned ? This is something which should be taken up with the dealer or Mahindra and putting proper proof / details on this forum will be a good start.
Old 7th November 2021, 01:00   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
This case is quite interesting. Can you please share more details on these two bookings you are referring to like some snippets of the bookings (email, sms or site booking) showing the details about these bookings with variant & dealer mentioned ? This is something which should be taken up with the dealer or Mahindra and putting proper proof / details on this forum will be a good start.
This has ALREADY been taken up with Mahindra regional office and they basically told us tough luck ! Algo is responsible and we don't know how to explain this

Quote:

Again, spending on the consultant is really only a liability transfer, given they had faced a lot of backlash on Thar.
No point stating facts here bro. Just wait it out now

Last edited by Aditya : 7th November 2021 at 04:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
akg7091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 08:26   #2877
BHPian

Review of the AX7 AT (Non-Luxury).
- No tele scopic steering adjustment.
- No Sony Badging on the speakers.

benroth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 09:16   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
This has ALREADY been taken up with Mahindra regional office and they basically told us tough luck ! Algo is responsible and we don't know how to explain this
No point stating facts here bro. Just wait it out now
I don't think Mahindra would take XUV700 for granted as they did with Thar. XUV700 customer base is very different and will not have patience like Thar folks. I like Mahindra and hope for everyone sake, they fix it.

I have booked after 8th so anyways not expecting anything before mid of next year!!
Old 7th November 2021, 11:15   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushg11 View Post
Has anyone who booked an MX or AX3 variant received a delivery date?
I received delivery date for my MX Diesel on 29-Oct-2021, Estimated delivery date is 28-Jan-2022.

Like most of us, I couldn't complete the booking on 07-Oct-2021 morning. I have got a call from Sales Manager same day noon and offered price protection if I make payment directly to them before 2pm. My booking order number is OTF22C0002xx. Dealer is PPS Mahindra, Indiranagar, Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-xuvbooking.jpg  

snallagatla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th November 2021, 13:37   #2880
BHPian

Has anyone who has booked the AX7L D MT received a delivery date? Given that everyone was stating its unavailability due to it being a last minute addition, however, the same was applicable for the AWD L but those delivery dates are being given.

Edit: Forgot to add, I have got a message from a bird at McKinsey and Co. Details shall soon follow.

Last edited by Moto_Bear : 7th November 2021 at 13:43. Reason: Added new information
Moto_Bear is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks