Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:50   #2626
BHPian

Re: Skoda Kushaq Review

Compared both Style Sunroof vs Non-Sunroof variants in latest brochure. Specific changes are as follows (attached here..)
  1. Spare tyre 15" in Non-Sunroof variant instead of 16" in Sunroof variant.
  2. Automatic Wipers only in Sunroof variant.
  3. 20.32cm ŠKODA Virtual Cockpit is introduced in Sunroof variant.
  4. Sunglass Holder in Roofliner in Non-Sunroof variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I am confused about point 5. Does it mean all other variants come with Skoda branded speakers? If so, what brand of speakers does Style variant have?
Compared the brochure from month of April and current. The change is as follows

Then: "ŠKODA sound system with 6 high performance speakers and subwoofer"
Now: "6 Speakers"

You get the drift! I am wondering what's this got to do with Semiconductor supply crisis?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ŠKODA-KUSHAQ-Brochure-30-5-22.pdf (6.70 MB, 388 views)
dmplog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 00:33   #2627
BHPian

This is becoming tragic and funny at the same time. I have been waiting for quality to improve- roof liner, rattles, noise damping, etc. Instead features are getting downgraded- subwoofer removed, no automatic wiper (it is very convenient feature in my current car), etc. Chip shortage is real but I don't think these two are related to chip shortage. What will be downgraded next at same or higher cost to user?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2022, 09:30   #2628
BHPian

So many reports of kushaq/taigun 1.0 ac blowing hot air, weak/faulty door beading, EPS failures in the 1.5 etc etc.
I feel like there have been enough taigun and kushaq problems reported that reviews warrant including a "initial quality issues and niggles" bullet point now.
ashishk29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 10:57   #2629
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
So many reports of kushaq/taigun 1.0 ac blowing hot air, weak/faulty door beading, EPS failures in the 1.5 etc etc.
I feel like there have been enough taigun and kushaq problems reported that reviews warrant including a "initial quality issues and niggles" bullet point now.
Have any of the complaining customers got someone to root cause the issue ? is it something as silly as bad radiator/cooling fan relay ? Indian 40+ degree summers might also have something to do with it - Intake Air Temperature staying high even after passing through intercooler (because enough heat cannot be removed into the 40+ degrees ambient) can cause the ECU to compensate against pre-ignition and/or knocking, by retarding timing (which will cause power loss) and also tempt the ECU to forcibly override the settings from climate control computer and kill the AC compressor inorder to reduce engine load.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 02:48   #2630
BHPian

500 KM Kushaq Update!

So far I've driven my 1.5 Kushaq MT for 500 Kms. This has been done over 9 days and these are my observations!.
  • Absolutely silent cabin!. Coming from a Swift Dzire and extensively driving a Kia Seltos, The cabin is really silent. This can be also due to the swapped Michelin Primacy 4 st.
  • Average mileage in city is around 10 Km/L. hopefully it'll increase in the future after the engine breaks in. Peak Hour traffic would give me 8 Km/L but if the traffic is moving and normal, I've gotten 11 Km/L too. (Major blow as diesel 1.3 gives 14 in city.) I've learned to live with the mileage as the Smiles/Miles ratio is way better.
  • AC system turns off recirculation when Auto mode is turned on!, In a dusty country as India , I would never turn off auto recirculation.
  • Clutch is bit on the stiffer side. The clutch actuation is a bit springy and almost similar/ heavier than the Dzire's clutch.
  • Interiors are fairly decent and would last a long time. The hard touch plastics everywhere don't bother us and frankly the upkeep on leather/ soft touch interiors is too steep IMO.
  • The power and handling!, I would buy this car for these 2 alone!, the Phenomenal power and the amazing handling would put the other cars in the segment to shame.(Kia Seltos comes close but lacks steering feel.)
  • Rear shoulder space is a negative. I feel if the seats were not designed as such, 3 people would have easily fit and enjoyed long rides.
  • AC is good. No issues except it feels strained whenever the car is parked under hot sun and Auto mode keeps the fan blower in full speed. When the speed is more than 4, the fan noise is prominent.
  • Dynamic mode is really something. Improves steering by a lot and the response too.(Got this coded.)
  • Hill hold is a bit weak in manual, still have to adjust to starting the car on hills.
  • Sunroof is absolutely useless in daytime.I feel it is a feature that is good to have when the car is being driven at night.
dheer4 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 06:13   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Have any of the complaining customers got someone to root cause the issue ? is it something as silly as bad radiator/cooling fan relay ? Indian 40+ degree summers might also have something to do with it - Intake Air Temperature staying high even after passing through intercooler (because enough heat cannot be removed into the 40+ degrees ambient) can cause the ECU to compensate against pre-ignition and/or knocking, by retarding timing (which will cause power loss) and also tempt the ECU to forcibly override the settings from climate control computer and kill the AC compressor inorder to reduce engine load.
First off, all other cars are also facing the same 40+ degree summer that these cars are, and they seem to be doing fine. Was stuck on Pune-Mumbai E-way last Saturday at 3PM, for about 20 minutes. In complete bumper to bumper traffic. I didn't experience any drop in AC temps.
Second, I have faced these Indian summers in our old Maruti 800 and Alto 1000. Didn't see AC throwing hot air at any point in time. Have driven them through dead heavy traffic, and they could sustain the load just fine.
Third, if the platform is incapable of sustaining a very basic feature like AC under what I would call average usage loads, I wouldn't call it a well designed platform to begin with.

About RCA, In some instances, the SVC has acknowledged that this is an issue with all 1.0 platforms.
Here is a more detailed thread I came across some time back: https://www.reddit.com/r/CarsIndia/c...issue_blowing/

This is the current state of the person who had started this thread:
Name:  Screenshot 20220605 061158.png
Views: 1673
Size:  38.3 KB

Here's a guy who went a bit scientific on the whole issue:
https://www.rushlane.com/vw-taigun-o...-12437887.html

Also Zac Hollis has soft acknowledged that there is an issue:
Skoda Kushaq Review-zacskodaslaviaissue.jpg

Last edited by ashishk29 : 5th June 2022 at 06:19. Reason: More details.
ashishk29 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 06:53   #2632
BHPian

1. What is the EDS, XDS feature of Kushaq?

How does it work? And is it really helpful in demanding situations?

2. I am seeing many Kushaq in hills, not only in good tarmac but on bad roads either. I guess many such Kushaq would be from this forum.

Would like to know the feedback from the owners or users about their experiences in bad and twisting roads in the hills.

Earlier I didn't see so many Skoda cars in the hills. Either we have become more adventurous or the Kushaq is really capable and the electro-mechanicals are able to sustain in this bad terrains?
Old 5th June 2022, 08:59   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
tempt the ECU to forcibly override the settings from climate control computer and kill the AC compressor inorder to reduce engine load.
Agree, could be either a fault but I believe more of a design decision and if yes, a poorly thought out one since the car seems to run fine otherwise.

Similar thoughts from a different thread :
Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Spot on, saw the video and seems like the compressor trips below a certain rpm.

To me, this doesn't seem like a fault but intentional to reduce engine load else that car running on the 1.0, without turbo, will be a pain to drive.

Last edited by shancz : 5th June 2022 at 08:59. Reason: Typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 10:45   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
1. What is the EDS, XDS feature of Kushaq?

How does it work? And is it really helpful in demanding situations?

Would like to know the feedback from the owners or users about their experiences in bad and twisting roads in the hills.

Earlier I didn't see so many Skoda cars in the hills. Either we have become more adventurous or the Kushaq is really capable and the electro-mechanicals are able to sustain in this bad terrains?
Here's what's mentioned in the Kushaq brochure:

"EDS helps to stabilise the vehicle when driving on road surfaces with different grip under the individual wheels.

XDS+ helps to keep the vehicle on the turn by effectively braking the wheels on the inner side of the turn. XDS is functional up to 30km/hr."

As for the second part of your query:

I've been using my Kushaq since Nov 2021 for my frequent work trips in the Nilgiris. In fact, I've just completed my 15k service yesterday and I'm pretty sure that approx. 40% of the 15k clocked has been on the hill roads of the Nilgiris. The Kushaq's driving dynamics are excellent for this kind of usage. There is some body roll felt by the back seat passengers, but not such that they are thrown about. Since most of my work trips are done solo, I've noted that the Kushaq feels confidently planted on the curves even at higher speeds. I'm on the stock MRF Wanderers provided.

About the performance on bad terrains - well, my city doesn't seem to have any tarred roads left and the Kushaq's ride quality/handling/cabin comfort is fine. I wouldn't say it's plush but whenever I've had to go to some off road trails for my work, it certainly has handled the rough terrains quite well.

Skoda Kushaq Review-kushaq_hills_1.jpg

I suppose the key is to use it for what it actually is: a spacious hatchback with a wee bit more GC & not an SUV (compact or whatever).

Last edited by rideon74 : 5th June 2022 at 10:58. Reason: Pic added
rideon74 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:44   #2635
BHPian

I have used my Kushaq 1.0 MT heavily in the last few days for a family wedding at Chennai. It was used with dense traffic inside the city for running multiple errands, idling multiple times as well good speed run in Chennai bypass. Family loved it as they are quite comfortable and felt fresh being ferried around at any point of day. I did not drove but a temporary experienced driver drove it and he loved driving it effortlessly in the city traffic.

AC performance: First day found the AC to be slightly underwhelming in the middle of the day but once I reduced the AC temperature to below 20degC, it was okay. I neither faced any sweating on my shirt (like in my earlier trip) in the hot and humid Chennai weather nor any issues with AC cutting off even in the (in)famous Nelson Manickam road traffic crawls during the afternoons. I have used it in both modes always in air re-circulation setting - Auto mode initially to get the cooling though it is noisy and then manual mode to maintain it. Did not bothered about fuel efficiency but MID fuel efficiency is 12Km/L but will post the accurate measure in next tank up.

Some quirks/observations -

It sometimes does not connect to Jio dongle (WiFi icon is OFF) and hence that trip is lost in the My Skoda connect app. But even in the unconnected trip, the notification always comes for speed alert.

I have logged out of Jio motive app and use now the My Skoda connect app but Jio app still pushes all the notifications. So the notifications are now duplicated in the phone

Driver side Window Auto Up/Down often acts up. Have already tried the soft reset written here and it temporarily solves the problem. Our driver only used it for Auto down and he holds the button manually Close Up the window. I believe the software is buggy as it loses the end points calibration and can be easily fixed in a update.

When idling during a shopping stop, car was idling for more than 20 minutes and couple of times, there is a notification on the mobile app to stop the engine as the car is idling. There is no info whether it is just a reminder to turn off (Caring for environment) or a warning to switch the engine off (Caring for warranty & wallet). I have read idling is not good for Turbo engines. Can someone provide details regarding the same? I have idled my i10 1.2 NA engine with AC ON even more than 30 minutes and never bothered on it. With Skoda, I am always worried and not willing to take any chances.

Trivia - Skoda manual recommends keeping the interior temperature (set point) of not more than 5 degC from outside temperature. All the best if you try to follow it

Edit: It was driven about 500Kms in 4 days all in the Chennai City and Suburbs, if it helps.

Last edited by thanixravindran : 5th June 2022 at 20:48.
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 20:51   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
We just purchased a Skoda Kushaq 1.5 Style Mt last week and it has been a blast!.
got few things done!:[list=1][*]Tyres changed to Michelin Primacy 4 ST 215/55/17 right out of the showroom and the cabin is really quiet and the grip is amazing!. The car came with MRF wanderers which for a 1.5 make no sense IMO.
Hi, how much did you get as exchange value for the stock tyres? The cabin is too noisy, I am also considering a tyre change.

On a separate note, I am finding the windows also too noisy (all are noisy but one on the back particularly so). The windows of my 10 year old Figo are much silent in comparison. Is it a problem being faced by others also or am I alone?

Last edited by abhishek_hch : 5th June 2022 at 20:53.
Old 5th June 2022, 21:39   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_hch View Post
Hi, how much did you get as exchange value for the stock tyres? The cabin is too noisy, I am also considering a tyre change.

On a separate note, I am finding the windows also too noisy (all are noisy but one on the back particularly so). The windows of my 10 year old Figo are much silent in comparison. Is it a problem being faced by others also or am I alone?
Hi, I got the Michelin Primacy 4 ST set for 28,000 after exchange for the MRF Wanderers. If you have Goodyear Assurance Triplemax, you'll get the Primacy 4 ST for 23,000. This was done in Ashoka Tyres,Hyderabad.

The only sizes Michelin's are available in India for the Kushaq are either 215/55/17 or 225/50/17 where 225 is the closest to the original spec, but the 6.5J stock alloys would damage the 225 section tyres very fast IMO. That's the main reason I went for 215/55/17. The stock tyre size has very little choices and almost all choices in stock size are either average or very expensive.(Pirelli Runflats are very expensive and not worth the hassle.)

Economy will dip by 5-10% in my observation compared to stock size but the excellent grip and low cabin noise make up for the dip. The car has very little road noise even at speeds of 120-130 Km/h. There is no audible road noise in the city or speeds upto 100 Km/h

I also feel the windows are a bit noisy, but have decided to live with it as it doesn't bother my family.
dheer4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:22   #2638
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kushaq, the curious case of its dwindling sales. The 2.0 strategy gone wrong?

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 1675
Size:  31.7 KB

Source: Auto Punditz
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 09:27   #2639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Skoda Kushaq, the curious case of its dwindling sales. The 2.0 strategy gone wrong?

Attachment 2316853

Source: Auto Punditz
They will blame supply chain and semiconductor shortage as reason to cut production.

But I'm sure sales will decline. One is the sedan versions are so competent with equal practicality that they could take some sales away from their compact SUV's.

I can't help but feel they should have made the Taigun / Kushaq same size as the Creta/Seltos/Compass. It has the same on road presence as my Ecosport and doesn't feel bigger or more SUV than that.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 10:54   #2640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Also Zac Hollis has soft acknowledged that there is an issue:
Attachment 2316504
I am so happy that he acknowledged the issue. Back in April the VW service centre head accepted the issue, and so, this thread was started: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ditioning.html (Volkswagen Taigun : Ineffective air-conditioning)
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks