Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2023, 19:07   #1726
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Taigun Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Hello Everyone, i have booked Taigun 1.0 Highline AT... Do share if anyone have upgraded their Halogen Headlights.
I don't know whether the stock halogens are good, but my Topline's LEDs are not up to the mark on highways unless there is no oncoming vehicles. When there is heavy oncoming traffic without medians, the performance is very mediocre.
asmr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:44   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
but my Topline's LEDs are not up to the mark on highways unless there is no oncoming vehicles. When there is heavy oncoming traffic without medians, the performance is very mediocre.
I would say they are just bad, and not mediocre. If I can upgrade / make changes I'd.
drive.helios is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 20:32   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
I would say they are just bad, and not mediocre. If I can upgrade / make changes I'd.

I would be more than happy to change those if there is an option to do so without voiding the warranty (preferably) and/or have a fantastic set of headlights that make my life on the road during the night a lot easier.

The ASC is not encouraging making any modifications to the lights.
asmr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:17   #1729

How did I chose between Taigun and Kushaq

Last month I purchase a Wild Cherry Red Taigun GT+ MY23. I wanted to upgrade from Baleno to compact SUV segment (not sub 4-meter) and my final shortlist was Kushaq, Taigun, and Seltos.

Many folks out there always have this question Taigun or Kushaq. I hope this blog will help them take a decision.

Let's start.
My priorities - Good looks, great to drive, both engine and dynamics wise, space and practical, and decent feature list. Above all, safety.

There are more models available in this segment including Grand Vitara, Hyryder, Creta and Astor.

First, let's talk about how I eliminated them one by one.

Didn't even bothered about MG. MG belongs to SAIC group which is a Chinese state owned company, and I know we will always have some dependency on them when it comes to commodities, I don't want to relate with them on such a large scale. Have even stopped using Chinese phones or any other major devices.
P.S: I am not judging anyone who buys Chinese products, everyone has their own personal preference.

Next, Grand Vitara or Hyryder. Anyone who is looking for these can easily take a decision based on the brand they trust and the look of both. These two differ very slightly only in front looks, and rest is exactly same. From engine tuning, to suspension, to interior, etc. I went to Nexa once, just to check the Vitara, and it surely is a good looker with plenty of features. But I was never interested in either of them, purely based on two reasons
1. Hybrid, I am not currently much confident in, besides it eats into boot space. And the 1.5NA mild hybrid is a very dull engine for car this big. Even hybrid I have heard in many reviews is good till around 80, but slows down when achieving express way speeds.
2. Rear space, leg room wise I felt was slightly small, even though it was not a deal breaker. I am tall guy.

Now, lets come to Seltos and Creta. These two share similar platform, but come with biggest differences when it comes to sibling rivalry. For me Creta was instantly eliminated, because personally, I don't like its look. Even though its interior is really good, and is feature packed. Seltos, for me is a good looker, is feature loaded and good to drive. Some prefer Creta in terms of features, but I think Seltos has more useful features, four sands apart when compared to Creta - 360 camera, lane watch camera, hud, and telescopic steering. I can easily trade panoramic sunroof and electronic parking brake for those. Seltos 1.4 Turbo is a good engine. DCT gearbox is fast, ride is stiff, handling is good, steering ok. Stiff suspension does give it decent body control, but ride I felt was very harsh among all the ones which I took test ride for. Creta on the other hand has slightly softer suspension, making a bit more body roll, but much better ride. Also Seltos is a good looker, but its very common on road these days and doesn't stand apart. I know it would have had a great after sale experience, but for me the real kicker was safety. Everyone knows Koreans have heavily compromised on structural safety against their international counterpart, and hence an average 3 star GNCAP rating.

Now comes in Kushaq and Taigun. Lets talk experience one by one.
1. Design - I like design of both car, they look more crossover than SUV but for me its not a bad thing. I prefer rear of Taigun in comparison to Kushaq though.
2. Engine - I test rode 1.5L with DSG. Both excellent, best in the segment. Fell in love with it. Upgrading from Baleno, it was a huge difference for me. I also drive my father's Verna 1.6 Petrol(121hp) a lot, and even compared to that it was a huge step-up.
3. Ride and Handling - Very good. Its obviously not sedan like, but is really good for a crossover/SUV. Suspension is bit stiff. Low speed ride feels a bit harsh, but high speed stability is good, and the occupants movement on undulations is very well contained. The car also doesn't bounce much, I think the suspension rebound is very nice. I felt Kushaq had slightly plusher ride. Not a huge difference though.
4. Features - Both have good amount of features but competition is slightly ahead. It was not a deal breaker for me, but I would have loved powered seats, 360 camera or at-least front parking sensors, and adaptive cruise control. ADAS in India is currently not a priority for me.
5. Safety - No debate, 5 star, for both adult and child. Shows how far they have gone in ensuring structural safety of the vehicle. Was one of the prime deciding factor for me.
6. Practicality - Space all around is very good, except the rear middle seat. Its best for kids below 14 years of age. Legroom is very good, front and back, and the boot space though not class leading, the way its designed can take in lots of luggage. Don't go by numbers here.

Both Kushaq and Taigun hands down are best in performance, dynamics and safety in this segment. Looks are subjective, and feature is the only area where the are slightly behind. Its not a deal breaker, as they come with plenty of good and useful features like Wireless android auto, and apple car play, auto start/stop, ventilated seats, sunroof, cylinder deactivation, etc.

Now finally the reason why I chose Taigun. In terms of driving experience I felt Taigun gearbox was bit smoother and quick, and Kushaq's ride was slightly more plusher. The difference was not day and night, and both are felt only when driven one after another. But this was not the obvious reason I went with Taigun. There were three main reasons why I selected it over Kushaq.
1. I loved the tail light and the front headlight design. Even though the second barrel is a dummy, overall it looks good, and comes with LED turn indicators in comparison to Kushaq which has halogen one. Also the interior color of Taigun including seat color I found more appealing on Taigun. Kushaq has a dull grey color on seats which I found a bit depressing.

2. Exclusivity. You can't tell Kushaq 1L and 1.5L apart. They don't have any difference in and out. I don't think its a bad thing to do a little bit of show off if you are spending more money on a bigger engine. Taigun has GT branding all around, and even the infotainment system displays it while booting up. Kushaq's monte carlo edition does have some exclusivity, but its very pricey for just a bit of cosmetic upgrades.

3. More consistency with the feature set. Kushaq 1.5 Style comes with digital instrument cluster, but its compromised on the infotainment system which is an older 8-inch one and even lacks wireless android auto and car play. 1.5 Style anniversary edition does have 10-inch screen, but has analogue instrument cluster. And monte carlo though has both again, the pricing for me was not justified. Taigun doesn't have this problem. It comes with both 10 inch screen and a digital instrument cluster. And MY23 is now coming with ventilated seats and rear fog lamp as well.

So there you go, these were the three main reasons why I eventually went ahead with Taigun. That aside, these both are similar in almost all aspect and are excellent cars overall.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-20221214_170816.jpg  

shashank511 is offline   (17) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th January 2023, 20:29   #1730

First of all, congrats on buying a very awesome car. I also do have the same spec and same colour, bought in Dec 21. Apart from few issues, the ownership has been pleasant.

Just inform me regarding one thing, what was the engine oil spec which was used by dealer in the 1st service.
Old 26th January 2023, 12:56   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
So, I got a Taigun 1.0 MT Highline in November last year.
I'm facing a couple of issues in the car. I took it for the 1 month check up last week and reported the same to them:

1. Whenever I press the clutch, I feel the car jerk forward. This happens mostly while shifting between first, second and third gear. According to the service center, this is "Normal."
Update: The SC tells me that this is normal, it is because of the power of the 1.0 TSI engine. So now, I'm using 1st as a crawler gear and shifting to 2nd as soon as I get moving. In 2nd, I try to keep it under 1800 RPM while shifting to 3rd. This seems to be the practical way to avoid these jerks.
Old 29th January 2023, 23:18   #1732
BHPian

Guys after much deliberations and checking out several cars from Hyundai, M&M, Honda, Skoda, Kia, I finally booked Taigun TL AT 1.0 TSI (candy white) and got the delivery of the vehicle with BH series on 27-01-23.

I have driven around 100 kms on the car and the car feels pure fun to drive. My earlier companion was 2nd gen Jazz MT and the shift from MT to AT is taking little time to sink in as sometimes I feel that I am not in control of the vehicle. The vehicle MID indicates FE of 8.5 kpl as of now. Whether the same would improve or it hovers in the same range.

Will post a detailed review later. For the time being sharing photos for the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Taigun Review-bd184a5291864ac0b9d9cd1ee31a823a.jpeg  

MDED is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 00:57   #1733
BHPian

VW sales experience

I was looking to buy a new car for my dad. The options we had shortlisted were VW Taigun, Skoda Kushaq and MG Astor.

MG Astor: Not a great experience with PPS MG Motors, Coimbatore. I called them to book an appointment. After around 5 calls, they finally answered. Said that their sales representative will call me back. No response. I called them again, a person answered and said that they work till 6:30 p.m. I said that I will visit by 5 p.m. and I will call before starting from home. To my surprise, when I called them at 5 p.m., they said they are closed for the day. The executive said that they will call the next day and fix an appointment. No response after that. I went and raised a request for test drive on MG India website. No response till date (for more than a month).

Verdict: Dropped MG from the list. If their sales is so poor, I cannot imagine their service experience.

Skoda Kushaq: Had a very nice Test Drive. Loved the 1.0 TSI Petrol Automatic. Performance was not as good as the DSG but first-time automatic users would like the gearbox a lot. 2-spoke steering wheel was cool. Excellent driving dynamics. Had a pleasant sales experience at SGA Cars with Mr. Santhosh.

VW Taigun: This was the best part. Excellent experience. I reached out to them on a Sunday morning. Prompt response. We were very satisfied with the approach of Mr. Praveen, VW Coimbatore. He came to our location the same day with a TD car. We said that we wanted to try the automatic version too. He took us back to their showroom in the same TD car and offered us another car with automatic gearbox. Was very patient in explaining all the features. Offered a really good discount too. We had planned to exchange our old car. He got in the old car evaluator on the same day and offered us a very good price along with exchange bonus, insurance, loyalty, and corporate discounts. All of this was done within that Sunday. On Monday we got a call from the banking team for the required documents to process the finances. They were very prompt and super responsive. Was extremely satisfied with their sales experience. This is what a salesman should work for - Close the deal as quick as possible. And now about the vehicle – Taigun in red was super impressive. Good driving dynamics. Ok-ok interior plastic quality (when I compare it with my Rapid). Overall, I found it value for money (not a big fan of fancy features, the car had most of what I needed).
jna4cob is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 17:47   #1734

Re: VW sales experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna4cob View Post
VW Taigun: He got in the old car evaluator on the same day and offered us a very good price along with exchange bonus, insurance, loyalty, and corporate discounts. All of this was done within that Sunday.
In a similar boat, what the discounts they are offering and how soon can they deliver? I am looking in Delhi.
Old 30th January 2023, 20:37   #1735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.helios View Post
I'll be sending Helios for a service after this and I'll update the thread. I've not explicitly checked this with the ASC yet as I'm not sure if I'd service it in Kannur or in Bengaluru. I'm going use the official word when I walk in if there is a counter argument presented and ask for clarity.
Took Helios to the 7500 campaign / check up today to Phoenix VW, Kannur Kerala and came back disappointed. They have the new software update but not the tools to connect to the car. Apparently they don't do it using OBD . I'll further check this once I get back to Bengaluru, but not sure when. Bill came as 0 as expected. They just did their usual checks. I had asked for the battery to be checked as I was seeing inconsistency in the status when I start the car evey morning. SA reported back saying the battery status is good. They did top up the engine oil but don't see it mentioned in the invoice to verify. A free wash was part of the check up, but not really good. Hand/smudge marks all over, water marks% swirls grim not drying properly. Helios is due for a bit of pampering and detailing for the interior, will perhaps give him another wash and polish while at it. I don't know what they did to Helios but on my drive back after picking him up, the drive was rather too smooth/soft.

Next up : get in touch with drcodemyvw again and get the few tweaks done, possibly a 400x2 kms drive in 2 weeks to kochi and back.
Old 31st January 2023, 16:42   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If this is happening on a road which is raised at the center and slight slope on the sides (typical of undivided roads), it is a normal thing. But in these cases you can feel the car pulling to left (not just the visual misalignment). It could be a case of the steering wheel which is aligned misaligned (doesn't affect driving and can be easily fixed)
The OP is clearly mentioning that the car is pulling to the left and he has to hold the steering to the right in order for the car to go straing. We have been seeing this issue with other manufactureres too especially the harrier safari twins.
BlackMambaXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2023, 17:54   #1737
BHPian

Question about the Auto Start-Stop system

Is it ok to turn the ignition off while the Start-Stop system is engaged?

I've read about the idling rule to ensure the longevity of turbo engines. So what I do at the end of my drives is leave the car in neutral for a while after parking. Once I do that and let go of the clutch, the Start-Stop system turns off the engine. My question is: Is it ok to just turn off the ignition at this point? Or is it better to press the clutch, let the Start-Stop system disengage and then switch off the ignition?
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:15   #1738
BHPian

Team, read that Hyundai Venue and Creta have got RDE compliant and E20 compatible engines.
Do we know if VW 1.5 engine used in Taigun conforms to at least the RDE norms?
I know they have introduced 1.5 TSI Evo2 in the new T-Roc, but it's not clear if the Evo/Evo2 are compliant or not to these new regulations.
Old 7th February 2023, 22:07   #1739

Hi Friends,

Bought Taigun GT Plus DSG in last week of December. After driving Jetta DSG for 6-7 years this car does take some getting used to.

The vehicle is powerful enough, silent and smooth. So far I am happy.

Only irritating thing is that interior lights do not come on automatically when the engine is turned off. Never thought a 20 L car would miss out on such a simple feature.
Old 8th February 2023, 14:43   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichurricane View Post
Hi Friends,

Only irritating thing is that interior lights do not come on automatically when the engine is turned off. Never thought a 20 L car would miss out on such a simple feature.
There is a simple toggle switch you can access near the reading light. No manufacturer can ever miss this feature.
TJ02 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks