Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2024, 16:25   #2011
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD03 View Post
Hey, i bought a Slavia Lava Blue in September from a dealer who deals in multi brand unregistered cars. He got me Rs 25000 extra from what i could manage by self negotiation. If you are interested kindly send a PM and will share the contact details with you.
Hi! I am looking for Slavia Ambition 1.5 MT, any help regarding best offers in Delhi NCR will be appreciated!!
Old 19th January 2024, 16:37   #2012
BHPian

Hey everyone,

After driving my Dhanno for nearly 6000 kms would like to share experience with my fellow forum members as well as prospective buyers.

I own a Skoda Slavia Ambition 1.5 DSG model. Bought it last year in September and have used it for 6000kms in both city and highways, in plains and on mountains. The experience has mostly been great, and I would like to categories it broadly in three categories. Things that are great, Things that I can overlook and then things that I just hate.

Great
1. The Engine and gearbox: This engine pumps out 150 bhp and 250 NM of torque and coupled with the extremely fast shifting DSG is plenty of fun on our roads. Overtaking traffic is easy and it is very quick to downshift even in D mode. S mode makes it hold the gears that much longer and is great fun of mountains and dual carriageways where in no time you are overtaking every thing on the road. Very few cars this side of 20 lakhs can give similar satisfaction. All this performance are not at a cost of refinement and the car definitely has got a personality. Sophisticated, charming but arrogant if need arises.

2. Exterior Looks: Now I know looks can be subjective but Slavia has clean, strong European lines which will look good even 10 years down the line. It looks good in every color but my personal favorite are red and white.

3. Safety: This is a 5 star GNCAP rated car with a strong body shell and you feel cocooned inside it. It is very difficult to pen down this feeling but it is a characteristic that I have only felt in FORD,VAG, TATA cars. Even the body panels are quite strong. Had an autorickshaw hit it sideways at large speed but it took it quite well.

4. Paint Quality: I had taken an independent PDI and the guy told me that my car had the best paint quality among the 7 cars he had inspected that week.

5. Ride Quality: Very composed ride although a bit stiff is composed over multiple kind of roads. Gives confidence on high speeds and enthusiastic driving.

6. Rear Seat leg room: Being a sedan this has ample leg room and is a great four seater for long drives.

7. Cavernous Boot: This boot can swallow a lot of luggage and then some more.

8. Ground Clearance: You can tackle nearly everything that the Indian roads throw at you. Just great.

9. Warning Chimes: Subtle, non intrusive just the way I like it. Convey the information without being jarring.

10. Fuel Efficiency : Cylinder deactivation works like a charm and I get an overall average of around 14-15 kmpl on mixed cycle. With this level of performance this is just great.

Could be Better
1. Handling: Although it is quite predictable, I wish if the steering had more response. It just does not convey the confidence which lets say a ford would do.

2. Turbo Lag: There is turbo lag at slow city speeds. You need to go above certain rpm for it to pick pace. Although if you press the accelerator hard the gearbox drops down gear and pushes you forward, but in general you can feel this lag in normal driving.

3. The interior plastic quality: Although I am fine with the design, the plastic texture and quality leave a lot to be desired.

4. The Horn: It is quite meek and in NCR traffic no one takes it seriously.

5. DSG shifting: The gearbox gets confused a lot of times especially in low speed rides. Sometimes shifts eagerly to D2/D3 even in slowest of speeds and then sometimes just keeps lugging on in D1. I tried to make out a pattern but it is quite random. Best way to preserve and drive smoothly is to use the manual mode in slow moving traffic.

6. Seats: The seats should have been better. The front ones are still fine but the rear ones just lack the width and comfort for more than 2 people. Even in front I am never fully comfortable. It is personal as I am a bit more chubby than required

7. The speakers and infotainment system: Mine is the 8 inch one and to be honest it serves it purpose but seeing that I nearly spent more than 18 lakhs on this, they definitely should have been better. Not for audiophiles.

8. Brakes: Now to be honest the braking is great. however it is more like a start stop system in my car. Either nothing happens or the damn thing stops like it hit a wall. Still have not got used to it.

9. The door locking mechanism: I feel it is just too easy to open by just pulling the lever twice. Could have kept a separate button or something. Can be dangerous with kids, so keep the child lock on.

10. Controls on the wrong side: Come on Skoda, weren't these supposed to be India specific cars.

Now coming to the things I just hate
1. Air conditioner: Stay away if you are used to chilled environments in your car. It needs to be put at very low temperatures to make it bearable. Especially in Delhi NCR and this I am saying when I got my car in September.

2. Start Stop System: I just hate it. If someone can suggest how this can be turned off completely I would be very grateful.

3. Rattles: This thing rattles. Never thought I would say this about a Skoda. But if you get irritated with slightest sounds stay away from the car. We have some bad roads which may have exaggerated the experience but still my 12 year old Ford rattles less than this.

4. Headlights: Now I may be a bit harsh on them but they just do not inspire confidence on highways. I need to always keep the fog lamps on to have some intensity in the beam. Need to do some upgrades

5. Rear Camera: Pathetic excuse for a rear camera. Skoda you should fire the executive who thinks that a VGA quality camera is good for this price and segment.

As you can see the car is not without its fault. However I am satisfied with my purchase. Its engine , gearbox and drive combo compensate majority of its short coming. Cars are always an emotional purchase and I always prefer cars that have personalities. I love my Dhanno and driving this thing on highway makes me forget life's tension. Waiting for the summers to see if this feeling change.
Peterf is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 17:11   #2013
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

DSG shifting: The gearbox gets confused a lot of times especially in low speed rides.

I agree on the low gear behaviour. I Test drove Slavia 1.0 TC and found the car too restless and unpredictable at 10-15 kmph. Surprisingly though didint face this issue with the Virtus 1.0 TC. Is there is a difference in tuning or simply poor calibration of a much abused TD vehicle?
INDIAFIRST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 21:58   #2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIAFIRST View Post
DSG shifting: The gearbox gets confused a lot of times especially in low speed rides.

I agree on the low gear behaviour. I Test drove Slavia 1.0 TC and found the car too restless and unpredictable at 10-15 kmph. Surprisingly though didint face this issue with the Virtus 1.0 TC. Is there is a difference in tuning or simply poor calibration of a much abused TD vehicle?
I may be wrong here, but from what I've read - the 1.0 TC is not a DSG, folks with more knowledge can probably shed more light on this and correct me if I am wrong.
prash1892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 01:36   #2015

1.0 is torque converter not DSG.
chiragjain00000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:44   #2016

My Lava Blue ensured we had to cut short our vacation due to the anti-theft system activating at odd hours and disturbing everyone in the apartment building. We started getting calls from people that it was screaming every few mins, but I could not figure what the problem was. I looked at some of the earlier posts, and removed the dongle. Hope it helps. If someone has an update about the fix coming for the dongle, please post. Thanks!
cityskody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 11:27   #2017
BHPian

Skoda had shared my pics on their Instagram account along with the team-BHP travelogue link.

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20240124202046.png

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20240125103434.png

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20240125103436.png

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20240125103440.png

Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot_20240125103443.png
chaitanyakrish is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 11:34   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterf View Post
Hey everyone,
3. Rattles: This thing rattles. Never thought I would say this about a Skoda. But if you get irritated with slightest sounds stay away from the car. We have some bad roads which may have exaggerated the experience but still my 12 year old Ford rattles less than this.
Nicely summed up! Rattles in a new car is an issue big enough to put off a purchase! Lets see if they correct it for cars in 2024.
Hatari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 17:30   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Good news for 1.5 TSI owners looking for remap. I did see few Instagram post from tuners on 1.5 TSI remap being around the corner.

Skoda Slavia Review-img_2707.png
sunikkat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:24   #2020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Good news for 1.5 TSI owners looking for remap. I did see few Instagram post from tuners on 1.5 TSI remap being around the corner.

Attachment 2567033
The DQ200 greabox had issues with higher torque in the past. Please correct me if I am wrong. Such remap would definitely increase power and torque figures by 20-30 percent . But will the gearbox handle additional torque?
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:33   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
The DQ200 greabox had issues with higher torque in the past. Please correct me if I am wrong. Such remap would definitely increase power and torque figures by 20-30 percent . But will the gearbox handle additional torque?
There are many Octavia 1.8 TSI with DQ200 gear box which has gone even for Stage 3 tune along with TCU remap and churning out much higher numbers. Atleast in Octavia, from what I have seen with fellow owners, the remap has not resulted in gearbox failure, neither has it improved the reliability.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 18:02   #2022
BHPian

Took delivery of our Slavia 1.0 AT ambition variant yesterday

My first Skoda car and second from VAG group ( first is the MK5 Jetta)

Slavia shares the garage with my 2021 Innova Crysta and 2017 Maruti Gypsy

It’s my wife’s car and she chose Slavia over Virtus because of the design, interior and tornado red colour option

Initial impressions are positive - solid car/nice engine and gear box combination ( 1.0 TSI is adequate for our use as it is purely a city car)

A/C is fine- not comparable to the excellent air conditioning you find in Japanese cars. But it not a deal breaker

I have taken the 6 year warranty but did not opt for the service package.

Booking and delivery experience was very nice. EVM Skoda sales team were very professional in their approach and dealings

Only other options considered were Hyundai i20 N line and new Verna. We felt Slavia is better value for money. We got very good discount also to sweeten the deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_9597.jpeg  

DrANTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 09:37   #2023
BHPian

It's been a little over a month with the Slavia 1.0 AT.

We have made the following additions:

17" Skoda Vega alloys with 205/55/17 tyres
Skoda Dual horn
Engine Insulation cover
3D Mats including Boot
RTO Approved Tints
Skoda Dustbin

Negatives:
Since when did Skoda stop providing a regular pouch for the manual?
The power windows are extremely noisy (especially the driver side)
Aggressive creep function (Compared to the DSG's)
Noisy engine
Fussy climate control touch screen
Start stop function (it activates too quickly)

The car is being used for a 10km daily commute within city limits (mostly stop and go traffic).

Last edited by R.P.M : 5th February 2024 at 09:59. Reason: Typo
R.P.M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 16:24   #2024
BHPian

Facing an extremely irritating / odd issue with my Slavia Style MY 2024 ( 10inch screen )
On android auto, the volume randomly drops / reduces a lot after 10-20 mins of usage ( Car "beeps" and the volume drops ). It is not the "80kmph" beep which is causing this because sometimes the volume drops at 40-60kph. Volume doesn't drop even if car speed crosses 80kmph and the 80kph beep sounds. The issue is time dependant and not speed dependant basis my observations.

Only way to fix this is to disconnect and reconnect android auto.

Issue happens on both wired / wireless AA connections. Connection is rock solid / no drops / lags. Music doesn't skip / lag / drop when the volume reduces. Happens on every drive.

With same phone I face no such volume issues on two other vehicles with android auto even on 5 hour long drives so I am sure it is not the phone.

Anybody else faced this ? Any fixes ?

Thanks
akg7091 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 00:30   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akg7091 View Post
Facing an extremely irritating / odd issue with my Slavia Style MY 2024 ( 10inch screen )
On android auto, the volume randomly drops / reduces a lot after 10-20 mins of usage ( Car "beeps" and the volume drops ). It is not the "80kmph" beep which is causing this because sometimes the volume drops at 40-60kph. Volume doesn't drop even if car speed crosses 80kmph and the 80kph beep sounds. The issue is time dependant and not speed dependant basis my observations.

Only way to fix this is to disconnect and reconnect android auto.

Issue happens on both wired / wireless AA connections. Connection is rock solid / no drops / lags. Music doesn't skip / lag / drop when the volume reduces. Happens on every drive.

With same phone I face no such volume issues on two other vehicles with android auto even on 5 hour long drives so I am sure it is not the phone.

Anybody else faced this ? Any fixes ?

Thanks
I've noticed this only when using apple music. Like you said, disconnection and reconnection solves this issue. May I know which phone you're using?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks