Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2022, 18:20   #496
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

The new 8 inch infotainment should be the same unit from overseas Fabia. Honestly, the physical knobs are a welcome addition, and if the touch response is on par with the outgoing unit, it isn't much of a deal breaker to me. Having said that, the backlash against this change is completely just, and the prices should go down or stay same in the very least.

Skoda Slavia Review-8inch.png

Last edited by vagman : 23rd May 2022 at 18:23.
vagman is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:48   #497
BHPian

It is confirmed by Zac that due to semi-conductor shortages Skoda is changing the specifications of Slavia & Kushaq. It would have helped if he also mentioned exact changes rather than leaving it to the dealers. This would cause confusion & speculations as already happening in this thread. IMO the prices should also be revised downward accordingly. Instead, as we are hearing (not confirmed) it's being revised upwards!
One possibility which I think could be that they don't expect the parts supply to smoothen out in the next few months, so instead of making customers wait they are replacing the part with another one. But they should decrease the prices accordingly.

Name:  Screenshot 20220523 at 7.34.50 PM.png
Views: 1313
Size:  68.6 KB
amit1agrawal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:09   #498
BHPian

Wow Skoda

EPC issue : Blame it on fuel.
Feature Deletion: Blame it on semiconductor shortage.
Price hike: Blame it on government and Indian tax structure and policies.

And how are they going to implement this smaller touchscreen in Virtus. It will look ugly.
RD150 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:17   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
While this is definitely not a good news, if it was just music system and wireless charger , don't see a reason for cancellation. If you liked rest of the car, especially engine, ride, handling please donot cancel car for cheap electronic stuff. Price hike is something to be watchful, if the hike is overshooting your budget or now comparable with higher segment cars, then worth considering cancellation.
I would humbly disagree. It's not always about just the mechanical aspects of the car. The features and overall tech also plays a key role in the buying decision. When you first experience/test drive a car, you experience the whole package and expect the same in your car when you take delivery. The infotainment system is a major love/hate aspect in modern cars. If it's one of the factors that made you buy a certain car, removing it as a part of a cost cutting excercise (or whatever Skoda's reason may be), I feel, well warrants a cancellation.
Nikhil0812 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 21:28   #500
BHPian

If buying decisions were based solely on performance figures, we would have seen the likes of Nissan Kicks topping the sales charts but is that the case?

The fact is that a buyer looks for a suitable package in accordance with the price point the car sells at. If one is in the market for a budget sedan like an Amaze or Dzire, one would probably not complain much even if the car comes factory fitted with a sub-par ICE system and no wireless charging (which is actually the case). In case of a premium vehicle, the customer expectations and demands are much different and much in keeping with the premium prices.

I hope this act by Skoda VAG 2.0 backfires badly and causes a massive cancellation of bookings, teaching them a big lesson or two maybe. Afterall, haven't they tried for far too long to peddle those pesky injectors, failing DSGs, unreliable electronics and EPC systems, fraudster dealer network, and obnoxious prices and blamed it all on the taxation policy, supply chain overhang (so much for their 2.0 strategy with cars having a very high degree of localisation), fuel quality issues etc.? The fault somehow never lies with them or their absolutely worthless dealer network. Isn't it time for the customers to lay down the conditions clearly upon which we would buy their historically proven unreliable products?

Show them the doors momentarily for them to have their much needed episode of self-realisation. Maybe then and that's a big maybe, they'll open their doors properly and extend a proper invitation to the customer base we call India.
Herschey is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 21:54   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil0812 View Post
I would humbly disagree. It's not always about just the mechanical aspects of the car. The features and overall tech also plays a key role in the buying decision. When you first experience/test drive a car, you experience the whole package and expect the same in your car when you take delivery. The infotainment system is a major love/hate aspect in modern cars. If it's one of the factors that made you buy a certain car, removing it as a part of a cost cutting excercise (or whatever Skoda's reason may be), I feel, well warrants a cancellation.
No worries its about personal preference at end of the day, I just told mine . If someone wants to buy a car based on how good infotainment is, understand the intention to cancel. I personally would have been ok with slightly inferior HU if rest of the car keeps me happy. However in Slavia's case, there is now 50K price hike too which seems to be a downer along with feature deletion. If one finds another car offering better value, definitely should go ahead with cancellation.
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 22:15   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could this be the upcoming 8” head unit? A friend shared this over WhatsApp.

Attachment 2311878
This actually looks more like other premium Skoda model but a downsized variant of the screen. If this is the screen which the Slavia will be getting, it will most probably be at par with the current one except the size. But don't forget, even the Superb and Kodiaq too get the 8 inch unit only.

The current 10 inch screen in Slavia, though looks modern and is super slick, looks very android-ish in the interface. This new screen as shown in the picture looks like a new generation screen that is also used in the Octavia, but instead of 10 inch, we will be getting an 8 inch.

By Panasonic screen, I took it as an cheap aftermarket type fitment instead of this. But if this screen is fitted, it just means that the manufacturer is Panasonic but the interface, design and everything is in line with the Skoda design.
FrAgile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:00   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagman View Post
The new 8 inch infotainment should be the same unit from overseas Fabia. Honestly, the physical knobs are a welcome addition, and if the touch response is on par with the outgoing unit, it isn't much of a deal breaker to me. Having said that, the backlash against this change is completely just, and the prices should go down or stay same in the very least.

Attachment 2311908
This does not look as bad, would like to see the features of this unit and how fluidic it is in comparison to the original unit.

I wish they improve the quality of the roof liner and the cabin light switch quality. Also wish the ac issues are addressed which seems to be a cause if concern for many.
punto_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 23:07   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Just test drove the 1.0 and then the DSG 1.5 back to back. I liked the 1.5 more.

My SA told me that the current DSG has gone through many updates and in the past 2 years hasn't seen any major failure.

He also pressed that majority of the DSG's that were failing were all diesel but the petrol is pretty reliable. Is this true?
That's just not true at all. Between me and my friends we have 4 DQ200 cars, mix of diesel and petrol from MY2015 to MY2021, all of them have had a DSG/Mechatronic Replacement.
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 01:00   #505

Really disappointed with Skoda, I Went for the test drive of Slavia 1.5, the car is excellent in handling and power for the price but I found some serious issues -

1) AC is non-functional. I test drove the car when the outside temperature was 42-44 degrees. Keeping the climate control on LO with max fan speed did not make a difference even after 30-35 mins of drive. They had the AC running prior to the test drive.

2) The interior quality is pathetic and was way below expectation. Leather seat upholstery looks aftermarket, roof liner felt cheap. The Dome light switch had a very hard click.

To compare the same, I went to test-drive the 5th gen Honda city, It felt more premium.The leather seats were comfortable, Though it did not have cooled seats but AC was very powerful, and I did not feel the need for the same. The only downside was the infotainment screen resolution and no torque converter or dual-clutch transmission.
I can't compare the 1.5 NA i-Vtec with the 1.5 TSI EVO but, I cannot buy a car with such serious issues and now smaller infotainment and deleted wireless charging.

If anyone is looking for 1 L MT Slavia, I would suggest going for the City, the quality and comfort will impress you. Plus you'll get better reliability and resale value.The Slavia gets more ground clearance but ask yourself how often you'll be taking your sedan to such conditions.
curious.yash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 06:13   #506
Tkm

Well. Skoda VW have done it again. Just when we thought that they really wanted to change their interactions with the Indian customers...there it is.
On a lighter note i think a dog's tail can't be straightened whatever we do.
Tkm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 07:38   #507
Senior - BHPian

So these car manufacturers discovered the semi conductor shortages after they firmed up the model specifications? Were they in a parallel universe until that time? This is utter nonsense in my opinion. You can raise costs as you deem fit, but just don't give pathetic reasons like this.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 24th May 2022 at 07:40.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 08:54   #508
BHPian

So the system being replaced is the one being used in Fabia and other Skoda cars outside. The one shared on this forum might be the correct one, Zac Hollis confirmed:
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-screenshot-20220524-8.51.28-am.png  

tsi_niks1989 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 09:20   #509
Senior - BHPian

From the above pictures the 8 inch unit actually looks better than the current one. And if it is used in other models too and has the quality, I do not see an issue. Price increase, if rumours are true, is a different issue though.
But what Skoda should have done is, communicate these changes well to win the confidence of customers. Now the news has come out like it’s replaced with a low quality, which might not be true. Leaving the messaging part to those dealers has only led to negative marketing.
sunikkat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 09:28   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
From the above pictures the 8 inch unit actually looks better than the current one. And if it is used in other models too and has the quality, I do not see an issue. Price increase, if rumours are true, is a different issue though.
But what Skoda should have done is, communicate these changes well to win the confidence of customers. Now the news has come out like it’s replaced with a low quality, which might not be true. Leaving the messaging part to those dealers has only led to negative marketing.
I like the infotainment, and the physical knobs are big plus, but the size is just too small by today's standards, especially for the 1.5 variants, which are already overpriced.
sid3091 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed