Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2022, 21:30   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
The sub is honestly not a deal breaker. Neither is the overall sound that great. I’m not impressed with the audio quality in my Slavia. Maybe it’s me that got used to superior setup at home!

The price increase is the most annoying part after deletion/downgrade of features though.
Same here. Though they sub adds bass well, the overall sound needs improvement. Even my SX4 with components at front and a JBL bass tube sounded better. And I have a THX certified setup at home so my expectations might be on the higher side. Is there a way to tune the amp or the sub by any chance?

By the way, some more pictures from my side:
Skoda Slavia Review-e22dd14147b847e6bbdc9003f4f46d23.jpeg

Skoda Slavia Review-2139fde1bfcb4578b2c8bf7832b231ae.jpeg

Skoda Slavia Review-884877b6595543269df92d7f4d4bb931.jpeg
audioholic is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 00:49   #572

Long Trip Review - Delhi - Jaipur - Delhi

Long post alert.

So me, my wife and 2 small kids went from Delhi to Jaipur and we decided to take Slavia to its first outstation trip.

Overall Distance - 528 KM
Mileage - 17kmpl overall

My overall average to and fro Delhi Jaipur was about 17 km I did this from tank to tank method. When we were going the average was around 18 but when were coming back because of the traffic in Gurgaon the mileage dropped to 16ish.

Now let's come to the good , bad and Ugly of this car.

- The Good

The car is overall very smooth the 1 litre engine does not feel like it is running out of breath at any point of time.

I am a fan of ventilated seats. The temperature was very close to 50 degrees in Jaipur and when we started the trip from Delhi it was about 44 degree Celsius. Trust me when I say if you have the ventilated seats, it's a boon for Indian weather and I believe every car makers should focus on giving ventilated seats in a car. Over all the AC perform decently. It is not one of the best AC is and I believe cars like Honda City and Hyundai Verna have better.

Overall the cabin is very spacious we have we had no complaints in terms of legroom headroom of the car. Kids were able to roam around the car and the movement space is decent.

The handling of the car is typically German and no Korean can match its ride and handling period. The car is very good on the bends and Turbo lag is well contained though Little noticeable below 1500 RPM.

The cruise control of the car is very linear I have used the cruise control in other cars like MG hector which is wants to reach the defined speed in a very abrupt manner, in comparison it feels butter smooth and builds speed in a very comfortable way.

The isolation from the outside world is very good with Slavia. Never on the highway we felt outside noise filtering into cabin. Even with the absence of sound deadners in engine bay, this car does the job of containing sound really well. Kudos to Skoda for this.

Skoda seems to follow simply clever strategy in very small small things which my wife quite frankly admired. For example, the door pockets housing the bottles are very convenient and not very deep from where taking out the bottle is very difficult. Also having a separate space for phone inside the front seat door pockets feels well thought of.

The boot of the car is humongous and practical at the same time and even though we travelled with light baggage, we could have easily fit in 5-6 baggages and still space would have been left.

- The Bad

One strange thing that I noticed was that the the sunshade vent below the sunroof has tendency to let heat enter the cabin. This makes the car warmer and you can really feel this. This is simply because on top of the roof there is a glass and since the glass roof creates heat, the heat enters like warm air via the manual open/ close bay of the roof.(exclusive issue only to roof variant).

My wife complaint sitting at the back that there was issue with the cooling of rear blower AC because the throw of the blower is not very powerful and it does not cool the car at the rate which it is supposed to. The issue seems largely with the adjustments of rare blowers as they do not cool to the left of the right most of the car which leaves rear passengers relying on the front vents from cooler and comfortable atmosphere at the back.

The controls of the AC are all-digital and though it feels modern, you really have to take your eyes off the road to use them. There are lot of accidental touches when my kid was sitting infront with me. Something that really needs some getting used to and i would avoid them in my next car for sure.

There is body roll at the back as my wife constantly complaint that whenever the car took a turn, she was constantly having left and right movement. This movement however was not felt much in comparison in my other cars. (MG hector etc. ) Nothing to the level of being uncomfortable but yes in comparison to other cars we own, it was significantly more.

- The Ugly

Now comes the Ugly part. Yes this car is not by any means perfect. I don't know Whether this is only with my car, but the car kept tilting towards left throughout the journey. So much so but when I entered Jaipur, I immediately went to check the tyre pressure and to my surprise all the tires were fine. There was no pressure loss detected in any of the tire which only concludes to the fact that the issue is either wheel balancing or the very Famous tyre to fender gap issues. I have read about this issue in Xuv700 lately where our fellow team bhp-ian put this issue forward to the service advisor and it was corrected also. I will speak to my SA for the same. ( Other car owners may please share if they are having same issues).

Overall Ratings, Experience & Recommendations

This car is not perfect as I have said earlier you have to compare it with its segment and honestly Verna (coming from owning a previous fluidic verna) is too small, the Honda City becomes it's only worthy sedan competitor and of course soon to launch sibling - The VW Virtus (which will follow the Kushaq - Tiagun Strategy).

This car scores over in ride and handling hands down and with its feature list it does bring to the table alot more then City. It is a beautiful looking car and definately turns heads. At this price point if you are looking for petrol sedan, this car is VFM but if you are simply not looking for drivability and can compromise bit on features, and you will be driven by a driver, please go ahead and buy a Honda City. If you want diesel you don't have an option with VAG group anymore. If you want something new, something refreshing, good brand name and value backed by best ride and handling in the segment, Just Buy It.

Hope my observations would help you in your decision making and will also help other owners understand their car better.

Overall i am happy with the car. If i am in market today to buy a sedan, i will buy Slavia again. I am all awe for its looks, ride and handling.

Attaching some pictures against some good backdrops we had on our way. Also since I have carbon steel color you will see both variations of clean and post rain car

Mod note: Post edited. Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220528_123703.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220528_123651.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220528_123640.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220528_123635.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220528_123631.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220527_215411.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220527_215349.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_092758.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_092729.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_092717.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_074022.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_102821.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_092755.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_102824.jpg  

Skoda Slavia Review-img_20220526_092724.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2022 at 18:13.
Ayush_atish is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 22:07   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congratulations and wish you many miles of happiness. Interested to know more on the comment above. Is it just the difference between the hatch and sedan configs? Like the Polo GT TSI felt better to drive than the Vento TSI by virtue of it being a hatch and minor other differences like a stiffer suspension, lower weight and had not felt any difference in the characteristics of the TSI+DSG combo itself between the two.

Do you think it is something similar or the DSG itself has been toned down?
My observations were mainly keeping the performance of the transmission. The DSG of the Polo has a strong creep similar to a torque converter. You can accelerate hard from standstill. On the other hand, the Slavia hardly creeps until a second after you leave the brake. Acceleration is toned down in city speeds in D1 and D2. The creep behavior is similar to my Celerio AMT and I'm not kidding. Only after D3 the acceleration gets brisk and the real power of the 1.5 TSI is put down to the road. Thats when I start grinning wide. That also shows how the 1.0TSI AT beats the 1.5DSG during initial acceleration after which the latter takes over.

My dad also remarked that when he drove the 1.0 it felt quicker. But once we reached open roads it was a different story .
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 07:41   #574
BHPian

Is this the right place to discuss about the problems with the infotainment system or do we have another thread for the same?
I wanted to know how to use the skoda connect and the valet mode/ tracking etc.
Old 31st May 2022, 10:26   #575
BHPian

Re: Long Trip Review - Delhi - Jaipur - Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayush_atish View Post
- The Ugly

Now comes the Ugly part. Yes this car is not by any means perfect. I don't know Whether this is only with my car, but the car kept tilting towards left throughout the journey. So much so but when I entered Jaipur, I immediately went to check the tyre pressure and to my surprise all the tires were fine. There was no pressure loss detected in any of the tire which only concludes to the fact that the issue is either wheel balancing or the very Famous tyre to fender gap issues. I have read about this issue in Xuv700 lately where our fellow team bhp-ian put this issue forward to the service advisor and it was corrected also. I will speak to my SA for the same. ( Other car owners may please share if they are having same issues).
Do you mean it kept going off the lane / towards the left? I got my Taigun on March 24 and on 4th April my car was sent for some issues to the VW Workshop where I specifically asked them to check that the car was pulling to the left. After wheel balancing and alignment (they had to do it for free), the car drives well. I know another Taigun owner who experienced the same.

I have driven it 4,000 kms since then and there's absolutely no problem.
adigup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 10:56   #576
BHPian

Car tilt could be due to tyre mis-alignment.You can try getting it aligned. Experiment with lower speeds and then move to higher(safer) speeds. BTW, what are the stock tyres?
balajisb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 14:59   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is there a way to tune the amp or the sub by any chance?
Even I did not like the overall sound quality especially after level 15 and below 15 bass level is not much. I used Bluetooth connection instead of android auto and changed my phone equalizer and reduced subbass(80hz -120hz) and increased low end bass(40hz-60hz). This resulted in much better quality at higher volumes and increased bass at lower volumes.
It looks like the mid bass speakes are of lower quality when compared to subwoofer. Overall the system is tuned in typical V-shaped curve but both the twitter and speakers are of low quality. Adjusting both mid bass and extrem highes(16 khz) gives a much better and clean sound quality.
I wish Skoda releases a firmware update which gives us better control over sound quality by giving detailed equalizer settings.
I think system has potential but it's not properly tuned.
Old 31st May 2022, 19:31   #578
BHPian

I could live without the wireless charger, subwoofer, 10 inch screen. What I would have liked to have are the wireless carplay and android auto and no price hikes obviously.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 31st May 2022 at 19:38.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:56   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by adigup View Post
Do you mean it kept going off the lane / towards the left? I got my Taigun on March 24 and on 4th April my car was sent for some issues to the VW Workshop where I specifically asked them to check that the car was pulling to the left. After wheel balancing and alignment (they had to do it for free), the car drives well. I know another Taigun owner who experienced the same.

I have driven it 4,000 kms since then and there's absolutely no problem.
Yes exactly. So i tried this in both city and highway and it tilted left. I am sending the car to workshop next week, let's see what they have to say about it.

If Taigun had the same issue, i am compelled to believe it's some stock issue with these set of cars. Hopefully alignment and balancing will solve this. Thanks for letting me know. I am disappointed but relieved to know that this can only be small alignment issue and not something big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisb View Post
Car tilt could be due to tyre mis-alignment.You can try getting it aligned. Experiment with lower speeds and then move to higher(safer) speeds. BTW, what are the stock tyres?
So i have tested this issue in both city and highway and yes there is a definate tilt. It can be tyre to fender alignment issue but it's definately alignment of some sorts.

Let's see, i am sending it to workshop next week. Will keep it posted here.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st May 2022 at 20:31. Reason: Back to back post, use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Ayush_atish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:44   #580
BHPian

Quote:
If Taigun had the same issue, i am compelled to believe it's some stock issue with these set of cars. Hopefully alignment and balancing will solve this. Thanks for letting me know. I am disappointed but relieved to know that this can only be small alignment issue and not something big.
Exactly. Also, please check AC in bumper to bumper traffic (1st and 2nd gear) and provide feedback, I believe all Kushaq/Taigun owners are facing issues. It is surely a bliss otherwise.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:52   #581

Quote:
Exactly. Also, please check AC in bumper to bumper traffic (1st and 2nd gear) and provide feedback, I believe all Kushaq/Taigun owners are facing issues. It is surely a bliss otherwise.
So i have checked this too as i am aware lot of people are facing this issue. Even I have the same problem. This though has nothing to do with gears but with the traffic. In bumper to bumper traffic AC just gives off. If you keep revs high, there is no problem. Revs below 1500 in traffic can make you uncomfortable.

And even though I don't drive this car much as it's not my first car, i believe Skoda will definately do something about this.

Also when I spoke to SA about this issue, he sent me a stupid video of how to operate the AC, as if we Indians don't know how to operate an AC in a car. That is a very stupid strategy and an outright denial of the issue. But as the world says "stronger together" , i feel there will be a solution soon. I am patient in that manner.

I faced similar things when a bought my new MG hector but 3 years now with the car, and issues have been resolved completely.

Slavia is a new product and i feel time will heal all its issues..
Ayush_atish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:22   #582
BHPian

Quote:
I faced similar things when a bought my new MG hector but 3 years now with the car, and issues have been resolved completely.

Slavia is a new product and i feel time will heal all its issues..
It looks like you like to try fresh products!

The issue is there in my Taigun and VW guys have agreed that there will be a recall in the near future as all 1.0 cars are facing this. I agree how annoying the sales and service executives can be, on explaining to a few people online and over phone, I was told I do not know how to operate automatic climate control, whereas, since 12 years we have been using cars with automatic climate control.
adigup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 21:33   #583

Quote:
It looks like you like to try fresh products!

The issue is there in my Taigun and VW guys have agreed that there will be a recall in the near future as all 1.0 cars are facing this. I agree how annoying the sales and service executives can be, on explaining to a few people online and over phone, I was told I do not know how to operate automatic climate control, whereas, since 12 years we have been using cars with automatic climate control.
Haha It's just these 2 i have tried as newest products but i believe if issue is universal, their will be a solution.
And given the fact the VAG has now been in India for quite a long period and have delivered some dream products, i don't see them leaving or messing this one up completely. Not until they plan to exit Indian market which quite frankly is their loss.

I don't blame these sales guys quite frankly because they are just doing as there management is telling them too but inside they all know the issue and if it keeps cropping up there will be mass recall but it's very strange that in an otherwise good product, how can they mess up such basic thing.
Ayush_atish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 23:23   #584
BHPian

I have a few questions! It will be great to get it addressed here.

1. What will be the cost of PPF for whole car?
2. What Tyres are best? Should I go with stock ones or get it changed?

Thanks!

I have booked my Slavia 1.5 DSG AT and waiting for delivery.
Old 1st June 2022, 02:10   #585
BHPian

Quote:
So i have checked this too as i am aware lot of people are facing this issue. Even I have the same problem. This though has nothing to do with gears but with the traffic. In bumper to bumper traffic AC just gives off. If you keep revs high, there is no problem. Revs below 1500 in traffic can make you uncomfortable.
Regarding the AC issue, I suspect one of the reasons could be improper calibration of torque demand for AC compressor operation in engine ECU SW due to which at lower rpms, ECU is not demanding enough torque to run the compressor. The solution is engine ECU SW update. Usually these kind of issues must be caught and resolved during the development phase itself but on seeing the fuel pump issue right after the launch, it is clear that Skoda has not done the pre-production testing properly.
gopi_rm is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks