Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 23:09   #661
BHPian

Re: Skoda Slavia Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Within an hour of using wireless Carplay, I realised that sound quality took a hit and the music didn't sound good.

But for me the bigger deletion is the amp and sub woofer. Not sure how the new setup sounds in the Slavia.
The difference in audio quality is what irked me about wireless Android Auto as well. Initially I shrugged off the issue assuming that maybe the track streamed at lower quality on mobile data which is why I am feeling a difference but that was not the case. Also wireless AA heats up the phone more and drains the battery quicker.

That's why I patiently downloaded the Sygic app and its offline maps onto to find out it is absolutely horrible. It also shows a 30 kmph speed limit on most roads and keeps giving random beep alerts even in the background. Had to eventually force kill the app and never touch it again. Funnily enough, I couldn't even find the Skoda dealership on the maps Skoda offered when going to the dealership pick the registration plates.

For now while using wireless AA, I just stick the phone in the cooled glovebox which makes a very significant difference in the battery consumption and phone temperature. Also I switch to standard bluetooth audio from android auto from the "connect" menu for better audio as soon as I reach an area where I don't need maps to navigate anymore. Wired AA, while offering better audio quality, still heats up the phone and ruins phone's battery.

Also about the audio quality, I have the Ambition variant which comes with a 8 speaker setup without amp and sub. I am guessing this is the setup on the top variant as well now that sub has been removed. It actually doesn't leave much to complain about. Of course someone who has used the previous audio setup on Style would miss the deep bass but in absolute terms, I am happy with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k2 View Post
The Sales Rep who handled the sale for my Slavia 1.0 AT tells me that there is no free-checkup at the one-month mark for the Slavia. Is this true?
Yes that is actually the case. Felt a bit odd to me as well.
motonomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 09:56   #662
BHPian

I salute the brave people who buy VAG cars.
Okay handling might be better but not everyone is trying to be Ayrton Senna. Instances like the ones in the video shared below just kill the brands reputation. Most folks aren't going to get anywhere close to a skoda dealership even if they offer Rolls-Royce level luxury because their stuff breaks down.

Bimmer_Sage is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:40   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Sage View Post
Okay handling might be better but not everyone is trying to be Ayrton Senna. Instances like the ones in the video shared below just kill the brands reputation. Most folks aren't going to get anywhere close to a skoda dealership even if they offer Rolls-Royce level luxury because their stuff breaks down.

https://Youtu.be/xqPYeeO9eR8
Not much different for Hyundai too, there is another parallel thread on Hyundai fuel pump issues and breakdowns
sunikkat is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 11:54   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Not much different for Hyundai too, there is another parallel thread on Hyundai fuel pump issues and breakdowns
That is true. But how many Hyundai cars have their transmissions replaced multiple times during the ownership. Besides if VAG cars had been that reliable the market would have indicated.
Another problem with VAG is that their service centre people usually have no clue about the problem. See the video and see their solution. They screwed an exhaust fan 😂😂
Bimmer_Sage is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:02   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Another problem with VAG is that their service centre people usually have no clue about the problem. See the video and see their solution. They screwed an exhaust fan 😂😂
Well, they can't tell the customer that their vehicle is fundamentally flawed.
Skoda/VAG dealers across India must be doing rain dance right now
attinder is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:23   #666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is true. But how many Hyundai cars have their transmissions replaced multiple times during the ownership. Besides if VAG cars had been that reliable the market would have indicated.
Another problem with VAG is that their service centre people usually have no clue about the problem. See the video and see their solution. They screwed an exhaust fan ����
Happy customer here with absolute stellar service experience and not a single breakdown in last 6 years. So I don’t have to be ‘brave’ to put my money down again on a Skoda

Last edited by sunikkat : 15th June 2022 at 12:25.
sunikkat is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:37   #667
BHPian

I had my engine replaced in my Santa Fe (under warranty thankfully) and still loved the car and used for another 6 years. So stuff can happen and have had no issues with both my Skodas as of yet.
AnandB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 12:41   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Happy customer here with absolute stellar service experience and not a single breakdown in last 6 years. So I don’t have to be ‘brave’ to put my money down again on a Skoda
A happy and a lucky customer I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I had my engine replaced in my Santa Fe (under warranty thankfully) and still loved the car and used for another 6 years. So stuff can happen and have had no issues with both my Skodas as of yet.
As long as they run the cars are fine but look at the poor guy in the video. They strapped a fan on the radiator and now has all kinds of smells coming inside the cabin. I am very scared of gambling.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th June 2022 at 12:47. Reason: merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of submitting the 1st post.
Bimmer_Sage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 19:15   #669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
]
I can't believe someone could do that job of fitting a cooling fan over the AC condensor like that especially if this was done by a Skoda ASC
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 19:26   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Really? I guess you will have to do a bunch of salutes going by their sales chart these days Jokes apart, VAG may not be the best when it comes to reliability but they are far from being called the ones who own them "brave". What happened to this owner is really unfortunate and that ASS should be kicked in the right place for doing this. Being said that, I am using cars from Skoda, Maruti and Hyundai as of today and my ownership / ASS experience from Skoda has been on par the other two if not better. I am not a fan of their India 2.0 products due to feature deletions and comments on cheap cost cutting, but would be happy to own one in the future

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 15th June 2022 at 19:31.
bhp_maniac is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 23:34   #671
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't count Skoda owners as brave. Being brave is purchasing Citroen Aircross. You never know if the brand will even stick around.

Skoda's service has improved a lot. The dealers are worried about getting bad feedbacks. You can always get some cases like these across any manufacturer. AC issue is a known issue and a fix is on the way.

Mr Zac Hollis has personally acknowledged many issues and these are being rectified slowly as can be the case with a new platform. Service network also has improved significantly.
varun.petro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 01:52   #672
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve posted the same in another thread and will repea t here too. I own an Hyundai Tucson, An Scross 1.6 and an octavia and the only car that has ever left me stranded on the road is the Scross! The Hyundai also has visited the service centre for unplanned stuff. The only car that has been perfectly reliable so far is the Octavia!! All cars have their fair share of problems. But if you are someone who like driving, the VFM of driving pleasure and luxury offered by Skoda, Volkswagen is unmatched
robby0707 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 08:12   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Most folks aren't going to get anywhere close to a skoda dealership even if they offer Rolls-Royce level luxury because their stuff breaks down.
I am no military guy but you can salute me.

I have been driving a VW car for the last six years. It has visited workshop only for:
# regular service
# denting painting (fault of Delhi traffic, not VW)
# battery change (twice). The battery is not the regular ones you get off the shelf, so you need to visit their workshop. Second time their roaming service car delivered and installed it at my place.

There has never been a breakdown requiring road side assistance.

During similar period of ownership, zero to six years, my older car (a Hyundai) had to call upon road side assistance for engine over heating. It also had to make few unplanned workshop visits.

I wonder from where some people get the impression that VAG cars are unreliable. Btw I have no qualms visiting a Skoda showroom.

Last edited by Guite : 16th June 2022 at 08:15.
Guite is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 10:55   #674
BHPian

In the wake of advancement in technology, engine and gear box in particular have become very complex. Hence, we like it or not, there will be a failure rate.

The difficult question to answer is- What failure rate is acceptable? How do we quantify it with data?

VAG, Hyundai and others have been there in the market for many many years and they will continue to sell. There is no point in Brand Shaming- VAG and Hyundai both have their own sets of Pros & Cons, one buys keeping his/her priorities in mind.
Javelin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 11:51   #675
Senior - BHPian

IMO this is one of the better iterations of Skoda MIBs. This 8 inch set up has been doing duty in most Skoda models from Octavia (facelift) through Kodiaq (since launch) and is very user friendly. Yes, inbuilt maps would have been good, but you're always anyways going to use GMaps with app-connect. But any feature deletion / downgrade should be accompanied with an equal and appropriate price-cut. They did it when they deleted auto fold ORVM from Kushaq, but I hear the prices for Slavia are set to increase.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks