Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2023, 12:36   #991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

My few cents from using the DQ200 on my Polo 1.2 earlier- don't worry too much about gear changes-its just working based on its inputs and logic. You may also find the occasional minor lurching ala AMT (not as pronounced).
Avoid too much of manual riding or S mode in the city amidst traffic just to get the kicks out of the turbo performance. You can occasionally try it on winding sections of ghat roads. Always engage the neutral even for minor traffic stops or on slopes. You need to use hand brake plus gear to re-engage on the uphill.
In my view, it has been vilified beyond its due.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 14:07   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Always engage the neutral even for minor traffic stops or on slopes.
On slopes when? When in motion? - its an absolute NO to shift to neutral on slopes.

But you are right - for any stops - best to shift to neutral. And - I'd say also apply the hand-brake and let go of the brake pedal. (Because IMO, if the brake pedal is pressed, the DSG will "think" that you are about to shift to D/R, and keep clutches and selectors "ready to go".

(And I agree - the DQ200 is really bad-mouthed too much . Even with its potential flaws, its such a joy to use. I'd pay for a repair once in its life without cribbing, as the driving pleasure more than makes up for the expense over the lifespan of the car.)

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th March 2023 at 14:15.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 15:51   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
But you are right - for any stops - best to shift to neutral. And - I'd say also apply the hand-brake and let go of the brake pedal. (Because IMO, if the brake pedal is pressed, the DSG will "think" that you are about to shift to D/R, and keep clutches and selectors "ready to go".
Any source of this info? Why would it keep the clutch engaged if you have shifted to N ?
Old 14th March 2023, 15:56   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On slopes when? When in motion? - its an absolute NO to shift to neutral on slopes.

On slopes or not, it is always advised to shift to neutral in a DSG else your clutch pack will fail prematurely. If the stop is very brief, then you should have the brakes firmly pressed. Doing neither will leave the transmission slightly slipping the clutch and which when done regularly will eat them up sooner than expected. But when you switch to neutral, irrespective of whether you have pressed the brake or not, clutch pack gets disengaged and depressurised. Hand brake has nothing to do with the DSG since the car allows you to even creep with handbrake on, whereas in my Celerio AMT hand brake will disable creep and will only allow driver to start off by pressing accelerator.

Last edited by audioholic : 14th March 2023 at 15:58.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 16:54   #995
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Any source of this info? Why would it keep the clutch engaged if you have shifted to N ?
Disengaged, not engaged, when shifting FROM N, is what I was focusing on. Thats what I believed, applying the same logic as MTs of course - in MTs - we need to disengage the clutch before shifting & I thought that is what would be triggered by something - the brake input. Then engage it to link to the driveshafts. I was under the impression that like MT, one of the clutches in the DSG would have a resting position of engaged. However (now it becomes clearer in this interaction) - (in the next quote) -
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
On slopes or not, it is always advised to shift to neutral in a DSG else your clutch pack will fail prematurely.
My point is different - unrelated to DSG. I meant that one should never shift to neutral in motion on any slope - because it will mean 0 engine braking or associated control inputs. Dangerous.
Quote:
But when you switch to neutral, irrespective of whether you have pressed the brake or not, clutch pack gets disengaged and depressurised.
This is indeed interesting. Will be some good food for thought and search on Google in coming hours .
So - in case of a DSG/DCT - both the clutches are anyway completely disengaged and the pack comes into action ONLY after we slot into one of the stick positions? And thats what causes the fractional initial delay before the creep?
In an MT - the "resting" position of a clutch is "engaged". It needs an external force to disengage it (using the C pedal of course).

How is it in the DSG? Neither of the clutches stays engaged on resting? They are normally both disengaged and are "force-engaged" when transmission is to be connected to the drive?
Quote:
The car allows you to even creep with handbrake on, whereas in my Celerio AMT hand brake will disable creep and will only allow driver to start off by pressing accelerator.
This is true in my Alto AMT too. So .

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th March 2023 at 16:58.
Old 14th March 2023, 18:01   #996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(And I agree - the DQ200 is really bad-mouthed too much . Even with its potential flaws, its such a joy to use. I'd pay for a repair once in its life without cribbing, as the driving pleasure more than makes up for the expense over the lifespan of the car.)
Perhaps I should have been more explicit- on slopes when coming to a halt say due to traffic uphill.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 19:59   #997
BHPian

Quote:
It is completely natural to expect such noises in any electro-mechanical gearbox like DSG, AMT etc due to the movement of these components inside it. However in TC ATs these noises are non existent because they operate on a system of clutches and brakes whose engagement/disengagement is smoother and so are the shift lags.
Thanks audioholic. This is just the right dose of DSG knowledge I needed at this time.
Old 14th March 2023, 21:21   #998
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
However in TC ATs these noises are non existent because they operate on a system of clutches and brakes whose engagement/disengagement is smoother and so are the shift lags.
TC's use a fluid coupling (with one lockup clutch for high speed high rpm case), don't they, instead of a clutch packs and brakes etc ?
Old 14th March 2023, 23:00   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
TC's use a fluid coupling (with one lockup clutch for high speed high rpm case), don't they, instead of a clutch packs and brakes etc ?
That's only for the coupling between engine and gearbox. Within the gearbox there is a system of multiple clutches and brakes that work within the planetary gearsets to provide the gear combinations. Different combinations of brake and clutch are triggered for every gear ratio offered which is very unlike a manual transmission. Compared to that the DSG resembles two manual gearboxes if we form an exploded view.

Last edited by audioholic : 14th March 2023 at 23:01.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 14:23   #1000
BHPian

Virtus GT Updates - Part 7

Delivery Date: 27th September 2022
ODO: 6100KM

I will let the pictures do the talking for this major update to the car

Before & After
Volkswagen Virtus Review-before-after.jpg

Setup
Volkswagen Virtus Review-setup.jpg

Stance
Volkswagen Virtus Review-stance.jpg

Ever since I got the car, the car felt a bit uptight and not well balanced in terms of rear and font ride height, the rear felt too high with the front not matching the same height. I Learned about COBRA springs that were being specially designed for the Virtus via an Instragram post and after having a chat with their representative in India (Owner of the Thain Thain Ignis, Achintya) I was convinced that this would be a good upgrade. The test car looked fabulous.

There were two options, a 25/35 drop, and a more aggressive 35/45 drop. I opted for the milder 25/35 drop and I think the car looks great with this setup.

How's the ride? In one word - Better. Yes, the setup is stiffer, but I am not one to complain about this. The car drives a lot better and feels far more planted on the road than before. It corners without breaking a sweat and well - it looks so so so much better now. I have had zero issues with ground clearance on my regular drive from Delhi to Noida (52km per day), this is a mix of good Delhi roads + some bad patches in Noida. This upgrade brings my car one step closer to the setup I have in mind for the GT.

Next? Exhaust modification, after that Wheels and Tyres, thinking of 225/45/R17 wrapped in PS4. Color? I’m thinking Matte Bronze (TSW or MoMo)

You can find more details about other Virtus GTs on the Cobra Suspension India Instagram channel. Here - https://www.instagram.com/cobrasuspension_india/
vividhavasthi is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 16:44   #1001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
How about the FE? Any impact on that due to this Mod?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th March 2023 at 17:02. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 16th March 2023, 18:51   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
Virtus GTs on the Cobra Suspension India Instagram channel.
Looks amazing!

Don't these affect warranty or insurance claims in some cases ? Any concrete info on that?
Old 16th March 2023, 18:54   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
How about the FE? Any impact on that due to this Mod?
No effect, still getting 16-18 on my daily commute and 12 in traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiAnish View Post
Looks amazing!

Don't these affect warranty or insurance claims in some cases ? Any concrete info on that?
Not too sure but suspension usually doesn't have any warranty anyway.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th March 2023 at 07:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
vividhavasthi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 16:53   #1004
BHPian

VW dealer in Pune informed me that there is a plan to revise the prices for VAG 2.0 cars effective 22nd March.
Anyone heard of this? As I am unable to find any news articles regarding this?
Old 17th March 2023, 20:05   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msri3here View Post
VW dealer in Pune informed me that there is a plan to revise the prices for VAG 2.0 cars effective 22nd March.
Anyone heard of this? As I am unable to find any news articles regarding this?
Yes, my dealer in Bangalore also mentioned that prices will be revised on 23rd March 2023.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks