Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 21:29   #2476
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

After 9 months of waiting my introductory Z8 AT 4WD status changed to vehicle at dealership last week. After verifying with the SA, I was told the vehicle was still at Chakan and would arrive this week.

Went to work on organising finances and had everything ready to go once the car arrived at dealers yard on Wednesday. Did a PDI to make sure all was well and had the payment released. Hoping to take delivery next week.

Also props to the SA who didn't push for any add-ons and provided a very reasonable quote of about 68k for B2B insurance without any bargaining. When I mentioned I had got a better quote with more add-ons he was fine with me purchasing insurance myself. A happy experience after reading many horror stories of stubborn Mahindra dealers.

On that note, I would suggest that buyers check Royal Sundaram for insurance quotes as they seem to have good rates and I have previously usied them for claims on older cars and faced no issues.

Finalised insurance at 62,571/- with Zero Dep + Consumable cover, Windshield cover, Engine protector and RTI after getting the agent to reduce the IDV to 20.82 lacs relative to my Introductory ex-showroom price 21.90 lacs. A "trick" to getting a good quote is to add 3 add-ons from the Build your add-on section, which provides better pricing. Am adding a screenshot of my policy breakup for everyone's reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20230428_210639_drive.png  

Last edited by ask99 : 28th April 2023 at 21:36. Reason: Added policy cover details
ask99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 07:24   #2477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You missed out the wireless charging and the Drive Modes (Zipper/Zapper/Zoomer)
Hi, are driving modes (zip / zap / zoom) not available in Z8 AT ?
Old 29th April 2023, 09:56   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Hi, are driving modes (zip / zap / zoom) not available in Z8 AT ?
Driving modes are available in Z8 AT but only in 2WD variant. 4WD variants don't get these modes. One more thing to note is that Drive modes are only available in Diesel variants and not Petrol.

Last edited by HappyRoadie : 29th April 2023 at 10:02.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 13:35   #2479

We know that we get a flat bed and sunroof speaker packing in the April manufactured BS 6.2 vehicles.

Is there also any improvement done on the doors - are they now easier to close?

Can someone with a BS 6.2 vehicle confirm?
Old 29th April 2023, 16:18   #2480
Senior - BHPian

A Scorpio review from from a western reviewer. Interesting to see their point of view : )

The Mahindra Scorpio sells there for 42,000 AUD or 22.7L
Maky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 19:30   #2481
BHPian

The Scorpio-N was just launched a couple of weeks ago here in Australia. The Z8 starts at 41,990AUD, the Z8L starts at 44,900AUD.

The way I see it, there are two main issues that the Scorpio has to overcome in order to sell well in the urban markets in Australia -
  • Lack of Active Safety features
  • Sparse dealer networks

The Scorpio-N being launched here is has not yet been assessed by the ANCAP. The ANCAP ratings give a high weightage to Active Safety such as AEB, rear-cross traffic alerts, blind spot monitoring and lane keeping assist. In fact, in the current form, the Scorpio would probably get a zero star rating for the ANCAP. Of course, because the GNCAP rating is 5 stars, the structural rigidity is not of any concern.

TBH, the Scorpio probably has more street cred than the Chinese origin SUVs like the MG HS or HAVAL H6 that are sold here given that the Scorpio Ute has done so well in rural Queensland farms and the country folk rate it on par with the venerable Toyota Landcruiser.

To the second point on the dealer networks, Most dealers in Australia are multi-franchise. Mahindra just don't have the critical mass of sales yet to ensure that enough dealership staff are well trained in diagnosing problems and also keeping an inventory of spare parts ready for replacement rather than having to order them in from India.

I live in Sydney's Northern suburbs and the closest dealer to me is an hour drive south of home. Whereas for my current car (Mazda CX-5), the closes dealer/service station is 10 mins away. It would take some commitment to the brand to purchase a product where even a minor diagnostic need will mean you needing to undertake a 1 hour trip. It's just not worth the hassle at the moment for a regular buyer.

The Scorpio-N is a vastly improved offering from mahindra in Australia, but i think most folk here are better off waiting for either the XUV700 launch or wait until 2024 end for Mahindra to fit the Acitve Safety equipment and get an ANCAP rating (Mahindra have committed to this apparently).

...Sid
sidharth_j is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 06:27   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
Also props to the SA who didn't push for any add-ons and provided a very reasonable quote of about 68k for B2B insurance without any bargaining.
Hi, I'm also from Kolkata. May I know who is your dealer and which colour have you chosen?
Old 30th April 2023, 15:52   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallubhai View Post
Hi, I'm also from Kolkata. May I know who is your dealer and which colour have you chosen?
Royal Motors. Deep Forest.
ask99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 18:41   #2484
BHPian

Has anyone got the Black Scuff Plates installed of ScorpioN. Also can anyone confirm whether Fuse of Mahindra and Tata are same; I might want to install Safari accessory on scorpioN

Additionally anyone has the Part number of Sunroof foam beading which is introduced recently apparently Mahindra has only provided it on Z8L models not on Z8 and below.
Old 30th April 2023, 21:22   #2485
BHPian

Update: Got Vader detailed and properly polished by a professional. Some pics below. Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b278f3dddc6e449298c5962699709bd1.jpeg
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2f10f0ef46f54a6dae1a5747fceffbeb.jpegMahindra Scorpio-N Review-f34a5b7840f84935ae1beec720d69e76.jpeg

He is back to his old dusty self after a short weekend getaway. Black is gonna be a job to maintain in our dusty environs.

Niggles:

1. The right dashboard is now audibly squeaking every time he passes over a bump or uneven road surface.

2. More worryingly, 3 times so far I have heard a loud metallic rattle/clanking from the front (from the engine or transmission??) when going over especially tall and long rumbler strips. Let’s see what the dealership finds during the 1k service.

3. The entertainment system continues to be VERY laggy, having to press the play/stop buttons multiple times, which then results in some other application starting without notice. The phone also heats up a lot when paired with the car, which never happened in my previous vehicle.

4. The inbuilt navigation (MayMyIndia) proves itself to be useless again and again.
During the weekend trip it got lost a couple of times, randomly asked for u-turns and non-existent right turns, and gave wildly inaccurate ETAs vs. google.
One time it even told me that my current location and destination were the same, when I was 80km away from home. Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-db7114bbd3744014973986a5105ea7f2.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-b54f1d2bf990448db60aee80eb41e928.jpeg

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-2a32bdc20a964ea69eaaa048505ff90e.jpeg

The vehicle is definitely a work in progress, almost 1 year after being launched.
If you want a niggle-free ownership experience, then strongly suggest either waiting for some time and risk the cost creep, or look elsewhere.

If you want a decent value and solidly built family friendly SUV that garners a ton of respect on the road, and have the patience to live with an evolving product, then by all means go for this bad boy.

Last edited by Mustang Sammy : 30th April 2023 at 21:51.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 11:16   #2486
BHPian

Hi, I am from Kolkata. Though I have booked forest green (Not introductory price), my wife wants me to change the booking to red colour. Is there anyone in Kolkata, who has bought a red Scorpio N. We would like to see it live before changing the booking. No red coloured vehicle is available with the dealer and they are discouraging to book this colour.
Old 1st May 2023, 11:53   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

ScorpioN is getting launched in Australia and the Automotive media there seems quite impressed with it. It undercuts the competition such as Pajero Sports and Fortuner by a substantial margin and has created a niche price segment for BOF 4X4 SUVs at the 45,000 AUD mark. Mahindra is offering only the Z8 and Z8L Diesel Auto 6 seater variants there.

Price points:
  • 42K AUD for Z8 Diesel Auto (22.8 Lakhs INR)
  • 46K AUD for Z8L (25 lakhs INR)

These are highly competitive prices compared to the prices in India - almost equal or even a bit less than the price in India. Whereas other manufacturers such as Toyota overcharge heavily in India for cars like the Fortuner when compared international prices. The Fortuner sells for about 55000 AUD (29.8 lakhs INR) in Australia, whereas the same car in India costs above 42 lacs on a comparable 4X4 AT - a whopping 40% more (all prices ex showroom)

The reviewer is all praise for the ride quality and off road prowess of the ScorpioN. He describes the ride and handling of the Fortuner as being inferior in comparison - a feather in the cap for Mahindra

The reviewer seems a little concerned that the ScorpioN has only got a 5 star rating on Global NCAP, whereas competitors in Australia have a five star from Asia NCAP. He describes GNCAP as an "emerging markets" rating. What he does seem to want to forget is that, just because a car has a 5 star GNCAP, that does not mean that will not be able to get a 5 star on Asia NCAP or Euro NCAP. Mahindra needs to look at getting its cars safety rated by Euro NCAP in the future if it plans to sell its vehicles in international markets more and more.

Of course, the vehicle is also faulted for not having ADAS features in most Australian reviews, which seem to be par for the segment in Australia. This gives me hope that M&M will bring the in-house ADAS tech from the XUV700 to the ScorpioN soon for all global markets and India too. Another complaint in some the reviews I read is about fuel tank capacity in a country like Australia, where people drive long distances between cities, or to tourist and off-road destinations, the 57L fuel tank is too small for this class. M&M needs to provide a minimum of a 70L fuel tank.

I expect that the vehicle has very good chances of success in market such as Australia, South Africa and Latin America. It will be able to open up and compete in a substantially lower price bracket then the Global pick-up truck based SUVs such as the Fortuner, MUX, Pajero Sport and the Endeavour. What will then happen to delivery lead times in India is anybody's guess as it is likely that the company will prioritize Global growth and expansion over selling a few thousand more of the same SUVs in the Indian market.

Some of the other reviews I read from Australia do criticize the relatively lower power output especially torque output of the ScorpioN, in comparison to competitors such as the Fortuner. The 400 NM of torque that the ScorpioN provides is a full 100 NM less than what the Fortuner offers. I am still unsure why M&M chose to offer the highest tune of the 2.2 MHawk, with 450 NM of torque, in the XUV700 - which does not have a proper full time 4WD with low range gearbox, nor as many towing applications as the ScorpioN. However, they limited the torque from the same engine and gearbox at 400 NM in the ScorpioN. In my opinion, it should be the other way round - with the four by four ScorpioN outputting the full 450 NM, which would place it not too far behind the Fortuner.

Last edited by GTO : 1st May 2023 at 17:28. Reason: As requested
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 21:16   #2488
BHPian

I see members mentioning insurance quotes ranging from 62k to 78k. I am a bit confused.

What is the difference between all these?

My dealer is quoting 85k and mentioned I will get a reduction of 4k on that which makes it 81k.

No accessories are being pushed on me.

Want to understand why so much variations among members and if I am getting an ok deal on insurance or not. Thank you.
Old 1st May 2023, 21:29   #2489
BHPian

Does the third row flip / tumble get flat floor space as shown in the review ?

Can ScorpioN owners confirm ? Thanks.
Old 1st May 2023, 21:47   #2490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshavardhan View Post
Does the third row flip / tumble get flat floor space as shown in the review ?

Can ScorpioN owners confirm ? Thanks.
It's flat now. I did a PDI and confirmed. It's the way being shown in some recent youtube videos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks