Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2022, 12:31   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
People tend to drive slow with new cars because of the tradition of driving sedately for first 5000 kms to let the engine and other parts break in.

But the other day after leaving the Honda service center I saw a guy giving the beans to the Hybrid GV and it took off quite nicely. Few seconds later he disappeared.
Honestly when i test drove the Hybird Hyryder I didn't feel the power to be insufficient, but on par with my Honda City.

Considering most people will be driving between 60 and 80km/h the car did perfectly fine in the performance department.
No doubt this car will be great for urban usage and I am sure many will be buying the same for city scenarios. I have driven Ciaz/Brezza petrol manual and it does the job.

Question is with the CVT box and hybrid, if one can extract some fun on highways(read 100+ speeds and quick overtaking abilities).

I am looking forward to the Innova hybrid which will have better performance with 2.0L engine.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 13:25   #647
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have a PDF copy of the Hyryders owner’s manual ? I just wanted to compare it against the Grand Vitara, mostly it should be same as it shares the same mechanicals/electricals.
Old 16th November 2022, 16:34   #648
BHPian

Hello All,

Has anybody negotiated on insurance yet for Hyryder? I got my allocation letter and expecting delivery in last week of November

Is there any other scope for negotiation on brand new car from Toyota. I have already mentioned that payment will be disbursed post PDI.
Old 17th November 2022, 11:26   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingakash View Post
Hello All,

Has anybody negotiated on insurance yet for Hyryder? I got my allocation letter and expecting delivery in last week of November

Is there any other scope for negotiation on brand new car from Toyota. I have already mentioned that payment will be disbursed post PDI.
Yes, I took insurance from 3rd party vendor which brought the cost down by ~10-15K from what was quoted by Toyota. After Toyota came to know about it they tried all kinds of scare tactics but failed. Cost of insurance for Hyryder strong Hybrid V model in Kolkata city is 39K with all addons (engine protect, 0 dep etc.).

Toyota asked somewhere close to ~55-60K initially.

Last edited by OpenRoads : 17th November 2022 at 11:35.
OpenRoads is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 14:27   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket03 View Post
I have got a mileage of 23kmpl till now, which only seems to be increasing. Will update regarding mileage in a week once the car runs atleast 500 kms more
Update - Car has run 1500 kms since delivery 12 days ago.
Mileage - on MID - 26.6 KMPL currently. By tank full method, mileage came out to be 25.8 KMPL and 3.8 Rs/KM running cost.

I am extremely satisfied with the car, it is performing very well for the use case and price point it was purchased for.
Aniket03 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:53   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Toyota has added a new cover for hybrid in its insurance..Make sure you ask for it
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-screenshot_2022111718531004_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg  

drsachin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 11:41   #652
BHPian

• Since the OEM horn on the Hyryder is really pathetic, has anyone installed the Hella Pearl Dual Trumpet Horn or the Bosch Symphony Dual Horn Set?
  • Would be immensely grateful if you explain, how to install (with a 4-pin relay) without wire-cutting and hence prevent warranty void.
  • Well, I was told by an experienced mechanic that to prevent wire-cutting, we can connect directly to the battery. Since there are two batteries (Viz., main one at the rear and a much smaller, independent one below the boot), which one would be ideal for connecting the new, dual horn?
Old 18th November 2022, 12:24   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier this week my Hyryder was sent for its 1st service at Millennium Toyota. The service included checks, fluid top ups (if required) & wash. It was FOC. Here's a quick report;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-photo20221114130619.jpg

A quality issue was reported as the exterior chrome garnish (driver side) is unevenly fit (from factory) & not seeming in line, the same has been reported to Toyota;

Front Door;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-photo20221110171909.jpg

Rear;

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-photo20221110171910.jpg

Note: The left side of the car's window chrome garnish is perfectly in-line & looks accurate.

This issue has been seen on many cars as confirmed by the Thane service centre as well as the dealer in GJ.

Awaiting a resolution for the same from Toyota in warranty

Last edited by karan561 : 18th November 2022 at 12:31.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 12:41   #654
BHPian

I suggest you to ignore any horn upgrade as of now. This might impact your warranty if some thing goes wrong due to unauthorized installations. Yes, I agree that the horn set is pathetic. Still, if you want to go ahead, get this done at the authorized service centre only.

For your information, battery available in the engine bay is the only one that has to be considered for drawing power for any extra equipment related requirements of the car. Other batteries that you are talking about are not for this purpose. I strictly advise you to not do any attempt in connecting anything to the other batteries. This apply to both mild hybrid and hybrid variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakash Rao View Post
  • Since the OEM horn on the Hyryder is really pathetic, has anyone installed the Hella Pearl Dual Trumpet Horn or the Bosch Symphony Dual Horn Set?
  • Would be immensely grateful if you explain, how to install (with a 4-pin relay) without wire-cutting and hence prevent warranty void.
  • Well, I was told by an experienced mechanic that to prevent wire-cutting, we can connect directly to the battery. Since there are two batteries (Viz., main one at the rear and a much smaller, independent one below the boot), which one would be ideal for connecting the new, dual horn?

Last edited by Hickstead : 18th November 2022 at 12:47.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2022, 17:17   #655
BHPian

Can the owners confirm if the Led headlight bulb in the top varient are a fixed unit or removable/replaceable? And it's wattage?
Sanket299 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2022, 16:55   #656
BHPian

150kms with a car I bought without a test-drive!

Unfathomable that we bought a car without me driving it, but that is exactly what accompanies a new job and a lot of work travel! Here’s what happened, the competition we assessed, and some pointers on what a 150kms with the Hyryder Strong Hybrid V feels like.

Back in August, we booked both the Grand Vitara and the Hyryder. We were looking for a car that would replace our immaculately maintained EcoSport Titanium Diesel and my all-time favourite Mitsubishi Cedia (damn you, NGT). The post covid world meant that we could happily downsize and manage with fewer vehicles between two homes although I would really have loved to retain the Cedia purely for its nostalgic value. Anyway.

So – the car we would get needed to play a unique role in borrowing characteristics from both vehicles. It had to be reliable, efficient, built to last, fun to drive, and reasonably powerful. It needed to be a car that received a thumbs-up from my parents, my partner, and me. Very different judgement criteria were to apply but two had to hold: My father’s knee insisted on an automatic, and my mother’s back refused to live with the ‘trauma-inducing’ backseat of the EcoSport.

The initial reviews I read placed a looming question mark on multiple areas – build quality, interior finesse, and power. I for one was rather dismayed and suggested we look at alternatives. While I could make my peace with other aspects, the supposed lack of power was upsetting. I loved the easy-going nature of the Cedia and its rev-happy attitude! Nonetheless, we checked out the Maruti sister and came away not too impressed. The doors didn’t have the heaviness that we were used to from the tank that is the Ecosport, and the interior didn’t scream Korean luxury. We’d almost decided against it but opted to wait for a test drive.

Two and a half viable alternatives emerged. Of the Korean sisters, we preferred the Seltos and immediately drove to the showroom. The interior quality blew us away. It was a segment or two above the GV and the Hyryder. I’d driven the petrol turbo before and had thoroughly enjoyed putting it through its paces. My mother did however find the setup stiff although she said it was better than the EcoSport. The Seltos can sure spoil you. It’s a tough car to beat, but one major factor worked against it and that was the abysmal safety rating. Although we slipped often, and almost put it a booking amount, the 3-star safety rating kept holding me back. In 2016, the EcoSport's high safety rating and a variant with six airbags had swayed us towards it, and we didn’t want to compromise on this aspect.

We found the Kushaq to be extremely comfortable and I loved its mannerisms. The 1.5 DSG is blissfully fun to drive and became a key contender. The in-time five-star rating helped tremendously. The interiors were reasonable, but DSG horror stories and the general perception of Skoda played in my mind. We also flirted with the idea of the 1.0 which would solve one problem at least.

I travelled through most of October and early November, and during this time, my family found a chance to take a short drive of the Hyryder and they came home seemingly satisfied. During this period, GRAP guidelines often meant that our cars were grounded forcing us to slightly hustle. Through the time I was away, I watched and read everything that existed on the Hyryder. For a week, I stayed in a hotel next to a Toyota showroom in Bhiwadi. One late evening, I walked into the empty showroom and was greeted by a subtle maroon Hyryder. I spent a good half hour with it and found some flaws fading. The car was feature-rich, and a step up from the loaded EcoSport. I missed rain-sensing wipers but liked the ventilated seats, the sunroof, the comfortable seats, and the general airiness of the cabin. I didn’t particularly mind the interiors and I noticed that the AC controls were the most rudimentary in a cabin that was otherwise reasonably well put together. The curtain for the sunscreen is the most obvious flaw. I did not get a chance to drive the car but conveyed my thoughts to my family back home.

There was one factor that kept attracting me to the car and it was one that the Kushaq and the Seltos could never compete with. We expected the car to be used for 1.5-2k kms per month and the fuel efficiency was drool-worthy. Some back-of-the-envelope calculations suggested that we’d incur a significantly lower overall cost vis-à-vis the Seltos and the Kushaq petrol variants. We wanted the car to serve as a primary and efficiency mattered.

The G variant is the greatest value for money and that’s the one we wanted to settle for. Our initial booking though was for the V and as luck would have it, a blue V made itself suddenly available. “Take it this week”, they said. So, the family (sans me) took another long test drive and came away rather satisfied. On the 15th of November, the Hyryder was home. We opted out of most accessories, and I was happy to see no pressure being exerted by the dealership.

On the 17th, I finally drove myself home from IGI airport in the blue somewhat blingy Hyryder! I’d say that it is one rather good-looking car!

What’s to like: First things first, the silent cabin is bloody eerie. On EV mode, all that accompanies you is a slight whine and contrary to many reviews, I found that in general operation, you can’t really tell when the engine engages. You can however definitely notice if you’re at a standstill and I’d agree that NVH could have been better handled in this scenario. Truth be told, I was expecting the car to be an absolute slouch, but I’m glad to have been proven wrong. While I haven’t hit a highway yet, I found progress to 90 very satisfactory. Acceleration is fairly rapid, and you can certainly close gaps extremely quickly. On most occasions, I found that battery and engine power came together to form quite a harmonious union. Having said so, there is a way to drive this car, and that way is not pedal-to-metal. Neither is this car expected to win you a sprint from 0-100. However, if you’re pottering around in the city between 20-30-40, you’ll be hard-pressed to feel that there is any lack of power and on most occasions, the torque should keep you happy.

This is an extremely comfortable car to drive. It seems large from the outside but is very nimble and sure-footed. Its relatively quiet nature makes the clatter of the EcoSport feel extremely rudimentary. The auto-box has none of the rubber band effect that I’ve felt earlier and works silently in the background. On most occasions, I did not find it hunting for gears. The handling is great, although the EcoSport is probably better. The suspension is downright exceptional and very little filters through, especially at higher speeds! My mother’s very happy!

The build quality is good in most places, and the car feels well put together, but the doors have none of the weight we’re familiar with. Somehow though, the ones on our Hyryder shut usually on the first attempt.
The energy flow meter means you drive conservatively, and I was able to achieve an astonishing 31kmpl on my drive back from the airport. I will admit that I tried rather hard, but on the days that have followed, I have yet to see it fall below 25. For a car this size, that is somewhat surreal.
This car is loaded to the gills. I love the ventilated seats even in the winters, and the sunroof is a fun addition although I don’t expect to be able to use it much considering the harshness that is Delhi’s weather. A wireless charger (for TWS earphones I love but often forget to charge), great headlights, and an adjustable armrest are features I immediately liked. Oodles of space to hold your accessories. The blue-coloured engine start-stop button is funky and appeals to the environmentally conscious human in me. The folks love the rear AC vents.

A mixed bag: The audio system is acceptable and cannot match the Seltos. The 360-degree camera helps because the rear headrests prevent a clean view, but I wish Toyota hadn’t offered a camera that makes the old Nokia 6600s look good. Obviously, Toyota and Maruti should offer better controls for the HVAC even if they leave the rest of the cabin the way it is.

What’s not to like: Toyota’s voice assist comes on too often, and I turned it off without the first half hour. The TPMS is still in KPA and I’ve found no way of switching it to PSI. That sheer curtain is going to be hell-on-earth in the Delhi summer. Additionally, I wish there was some genuineness to the claim of ‘premium tuned sound’, and I’d have liked electrically adjustable seats. I’ve adjusted to the interior now and I find it somewhat welcoming. I also don’t particularly care for the HUD, and I’m waiting to see if the boot can manage our luggage. Although the HUD shows you navigation prompts, it sucks that the car doesn’t have in-built navigation. Lastly, the location of the drive mode button is ridiculous and fiddling with it while driving is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 19th November 2022 at 16:57.
sukrit7 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 13:36   #657
BHPian

Re: 150kms with a car I bought without a test-drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Unfathomable that we bought a car without me driving it, but that is exactly what accompanies a new job and a lot of work travel! Here’s what happened, the competition we assessed, and some pointers on what a 150kms with the Hyryder Strong Hybrid V feels like.

On the 17th, I finally drove myself home from IGI airport in the blue somewhat blingy Hyryder! I’d say that it is one rather good-looking car!

What’s to like: First things first, the silent cabin is bloody eerie. On EV mode, all that accompanies you is a slight whine and contrary to many reviews, I found that in general operation, you can’t really tell when the engine engages. You can however definitely notice if you’re at a standstill and I’d agree that NVH could have been better handled in this scenario. Truth be told, I was expecting the car to be an absolute slouch, but I’m glad to have been proven wrong. While I haven’t hit a highway yet, I found progress to 90 very satisfactory. Acceleration is fairly rapid, and you can certainly close gaps extremely quickly. On most occasions, I found that battery and engine power came together to form quite a harmonious union. Having said so, there is a way to drive this car, and that way is not pedal-to-metal. Neither is this car expected to win you a sprint from 0-100. However, if you’re pottering around in the city between 20-30-40, you’ll be hard-pressed to feel that there is any lack of power and on most occasions, the torque should keep you happy.

Congratulations! May you have many many kilometers of joy with the hyryder

Also, thanks for this review - I am glad that someone finally matches my observations on the Hyryder because the official reviews everywhere are to the contrary.

In my test drive of the strong hybrid I found that its rolling acceleration is very, very good - in fact, probably better than even the XUV 700 Diesel and definitely better than the Kushaq 1L AT (without using kickdown or dropping a gear - both of which I didn't get to try in my normal test drive).

I am specifically referring to the rolling acceleration (like 20-60 kmph or 40-80) the stuff that I can actually use for overtaking on a daily basis. I see that the 0-100 kmph vbox figures put it a little slower than both the Magnite Turbo as well as the Kushaq 1L AT and a whole 2s slower than the XUV700 Diesel AT, but the Hyryder strong hybrid clearly felt peppier in my test drive. The flip side of the coin is that in making it peppier it also makes a bit more engine noise (compared to the XUV, Kushaq, Magnite) when pushed for these overtakes. But yes otherwise the car is very silent and I wasn't able to detect the engine turning on/off in regular Bangalore traffic unless I was specifically looking for it.

Also, I found the brakes on the Hyryder to be more to my liking in their bite and progression - as compared to the following
1. XUV 700: Too sharp a bite, would need quite a bit of practice to get real smooth braking going
2. Kushaq: Too loose a bite. Pedal needs to be pressed quite deep to get a good amount of braking and that isn't fun for me.
3. Magnite: Probably better feeling brakes than both XUV 700 and Kushaq, second only to the Hector and Hyryder

I have booked a strong hybrid too, but the car costs upwards of 24L OTR (Hector territory), hasn't been crash tested (hope is that its atleast 4 stars like the Brezza, if not outright 5 stars) and waiting period is 5 months, so I am not fully sold on it yet.

Please do pen your views after a highway drive too
Transmission is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 16:50   #658
BHPian

Accessories list for Hyryder V Variant.

Please suggest which accessories are worth taking from the dealer.
Too many of them talk about garnishing and not sure if it adds much value. Also can skip cushions. Sunshade would be helpful in my view (atleast for the doors).
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2022, 19:36   #659
BHPian

Quote:
The car already looks complete. Sun visors create a huge blind spot.
Go for the sun shades and good quality floor mats if you really want to.
I might consider back door garnish to backfire high beams
tjsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 09:38   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Congratulations! May you have many many kilometers of joy with the hyryder

Also, thanks for this review - I am glad that someone finally matches my observations on the Hyryder because the official reviews everywhere are to the contrary.

I have booked a strong hybrid too, but the car costs upwards of 24L OTR (Hector territory), hasn't been crash tested (hope is that its atleast 4 stars like the Brezza, if not outright 5 stars) and waiting period is 5 months, so I am not fully sold on it yet.

Please do pen your views after a highway drive too
Thank you! I'm waiting for a longer drive as well. I would suggest that you stay with the booking. The car is expected to get a 4/5 star safety rating, and I think you're likely to get it far quicker than 5 months if you tell them you're somewhat flexible with your choice of colour.

Quote:
Accessories list for Hyryder V Variant.

Too many of them talk about garnishing and not sure if it adds much value. Also can skip cushions. Sunshade would be helpful in my view (atleast for the doors).
I thought the accessories were rather well priced and of good quality. We got the mudflaps, the door visors, the floor mats, and the sunshades for rear passengers. Please do not get the boot mat. It will take away from the already limited space in the boot.
sukrit7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks