Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2022, 19:26   #796
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

I believe that the Hycross ZX comes to 35-36l OTR in Bangalore, but there is no issues with space. Hyryder was always a compromise solution in the family since we wanted to move to a Hybrid. Another strong ask in the family was to move away from Maruti, which we have been using since 2008.
The whole idea of more space came when I took a TD of the XUV, just for the sake of it. The TD and booking happened the same day
Only problem is that I will be without a vehicle until one of these come in as I already sold my XL6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senotrius View Post
Isn't that a 11lakh+ difference for the hybrid versions in the ex showroom price alone?
Old 29th December 2022, 19:35   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks4077 View Post
I believe that the Hycross ZX comes to 35-36l OTR in Bangalore, but there is no issues with space. Hyryder was always a compromise solution in the family since we wanted to move to a Hybrid. Another strong ask in the family was to move away from Maruti, which we have been using since 2008.
The whole idea of more space came when I took a TD of the XUV, just for the sake of it. The TD and booking happened the same day
Only problem is that I will be without a vehicle until one of these come in as I already sold my XL6.
Of course,based on these requirements definitely the hycross, as there is no other reliable, three row, hybrid vehicle in the market. Keyword being reliable. Especially since none of the other japs are willing to release their international models here. Personally,I'm waiting for a lightweight, small city car with the Toyota strong hybrid engine and unreal mileage!🔋
Senotrius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 00:56   #798
BHPian

Change in driving style

I have been driving Toyota Hyryder strong hybrid V variant since last one month and have completed 1200 km .

I have observed that I have started driving more sedately, intentionally to extract maximum possible fuel efficiency.

As a background for my daily driving conditions, my office is 20 km from my home. In the morning, there is free flowing traffic on Mumbai's eastern express Highway with average speed of 50 kmph. In the evening, traffic is comparatively slow paced.

My annual running for last 10 years of driving has been between 10k to 12k , with 90% running within city limits . AC is running 100% of times.

Earlier, I used to accelerate or brake fairly aggressively to keep up with the flow of the traffic. I am by no means a quick driver, who tailgates the vehicle in front of me. But if a space opens up, i would not hesitate to take it. I used to get 11 kmpl to 12 kmpl then on my Duster . On my Alto I used to get 15 kmpl to 16 kmpl in similar driving conditions / driving pattern.

Now that I have been driving a hybrid vehicle, it seems car itself pushes you to be a conservative / frugal driver.

(1) RPM gauge is replaced by power band meter . So you always know if you are accelerating too aggressively or economically.

(2) HU has this nifty animation display which keeps on telling you whether car is running on battery or engine is powering you on. So you subconsciously start letting battery to charge as much as possible.

(3) When car is running on battery, instruments cluster /HUD displays quite boldly that you are crusing in EV mode. Car becomes quieter and serene.

Somehow , i have started trying to be on EV mode or to extract maximum fuel efficiency. Even if a space opens up, I try to accelerate gradually.

As of now I am getting overall fuel efficiency of 20.5 kmpl in City traffic. Trying to push that number to 21 then to 22. Few days back, came across a youtube video about "pulse and glide" method of driving Hybrids. Have tried it few times , although felt difficult to master so far.

Would like to know about FE numbers of other strong hybrid owners driving in City.

Last edited by baarish84 : 30th December 2022 at 00:58.
baarish84 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 01:23   #799
Senior - BHPian

It has been exactly a month since we've brought home our Toyota Hyryder, and incidentally, today was the first time the car has been tanked up since the last full tank was on the day of delivery on 30th November, 2022.

Variant: Hybrid G

The numbers:
ODO: 910km
Trip since reset: 875km
Fuel efficiency: 21.5kpl
Cycle: 100% city
Driving Mode: 99% Eco, 1% Sport

Coming from a diesel A-Class, this one feels eerily quiet, with a faint whine in EV mode. When the petrol motor kicks in you can hear a mild purr, but it isn't ever crude or intrusive.

Fuel efficiency
Even though the A-Class was very efficient, this hybrid takes things to the next level. 21.5kpl in pure city driving conditions with AC on at all times is simply mind blowing.

Performance
It feels very peppy, especially while closing those gaps in traffic (even in Eco mode, which is the default mode in our car). Petrol with the electric assist is very responsive, and more than fuel efficiency, it was this instant power delivery which sealed the deal for us. Not talking about flat out acceleration, but it is the quick increments in speeds, when you want to momentarily up the pace in traffic, which is impressive.

Ride quality
It tackles potholes and bad roads really well, soaking in all the shocks. Suspension feels really well suited for urban conditions.

LED headlamps
I love the throw and spread of the auto LED lights. That they look stunning in the dark, as do the LED tail lamps, is only icing on the cake.

Dislikes:
Buggy touchscreen
I love the fact that it has wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay, however this is one of the worst softwares I've experienced in the recent times. When connected, if you dial or answer a phone call, you won't be able to hear anything after the first 5 seconds. The system freezes occassionally, and you have to switch off the car and open the door for the screen to turn off. Lastly, that annoying voice assistant keeps interrupting without any input. The latter two are issues you can't replicate, although the phone call issue is consistent.

Horrible speakers
Sound quality is absolutely rubbish - budget hatchback levels, to be honest. I tried playing with the equalizer settings so it did improve a bit, but it is still several notches below what the competition has to offer. Interestingly, the speakers in the V variant are decent compared to the ones in the G variant.

Boot space
I've done 1 airport run till date, and the boot can only fit in 1 large check in bag at a time. Not that we do a lot of outstation trips, but this could be a deal breaker for some.

The sunshade for the panoramic sunroof is flimsy for sure, however I always keep it tucked away, so it hasn't been an issue so far.

My car is due for the recall, so will be sending it for that as well as its first service in the second week of January 2023.

Here's one picture of our car.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20221229_212129729_hdr.jpg

Last edited by S2!!! : 30th December 2022 at 01:34.
S2!!! is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 16:55   #800

Glad to put my first post in Team-BHP forums.

I live in Pune.

I had booked my hyryder in Sep'22 and getting delivery in next week. I have done the PDI this week and registration process is on.

I wanted to install a dashcam but the dealer refused saying they do not have any official accessory.

Question to anyone who has installed a dashcam:

1. Where should I get it done if the dealer is not doing it? Any recommendations in Pune would be helpful.
2. Will there be any adverse impact on Warranty etc?
3. What would be the Do's and Don'ts for the installation process.
chandrachur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 17:03   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrachur View Post
I wanted to install a dashcam
Congrats on the car! Check out this very active thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post5466256 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

Quote:
1. Where should I get it done if the dealer is not doing it? Any recommendations in Pune would be helpful.
Any accessory shop / online, or per suggestions from the above thread.

Quote:
2. Will there be any adverse impact on Warranty etc?
Absolutely none. I've had a dashcam in each of my cars across manufacturers, and no ASC has complained. Even those who have hard-wired their dashcams have faced no issues. Most people have a dashcam these days, and several OEMs have an official accessory.

Quote:
3. What would be the Do's and Don'ts for the installation process.
You have two options:

1) The easy, quick but slightly eyesore method: you plug the dashcam in the 12V socket below the dash and route the wires over it.

2) The slightly tedious but neat method: you route the wires through the roof-liner and A-pillar and then from under the dash into:

a) the 12V socket
b) hard-wire it by tapping it into an existing connection
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 21:19   #802

Here is my short review of strong hybrid G variant after 1200km

1. The pickup is very good till about 80 - 90km/h and felt sufficient thereafter. Overtaking in highways was easy even with city drive-mode.
2. Fuel efficient. Getting 23.5kmpl with 85% city(Bangalore) and 15% highway driving and its still improving. A perfect solution for congested city like Bangalore.
3. Well tuned suspension and well weighted steering. Good grip from Apollo apterra tyres.
4. AC is effective and cools the cabin in no time.

Dislikes
1. Issues with entertainment unit. Wireless Android auto disconnects frequently and it freezes sometimes. Fortunately, the wired Android auto works fine. Average sound quality from stock speaker in G variant.
2. build quality especially around doors and boot felt average/poor.

Other observations
1. Brake bite is non-linear and very sharp. May need sometime to get used to.
2. Toyota replaced the front seat belt assembly under warranty as part of company recall. Great service experience so far.

Overall happy with my purchase decision.
smilyinblue is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 22:31   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilyinblue View Post

Dislikes
1. Issues with entertainment unit. Wireless Android auto disconnects frequently and it freezes sometimes. Fortunately, the wired Android auto works fine.
Hi , can you please elaborate what is wired Android Auto . I have V variant with wireless AA. If I connect to USB port, it will become wired AA ? I am not getting any prompt for such wired connection.

Asking this because I am facing this weird issue of wireless Android Auto not connecting to my phone some times ( happens once every four-five days).

Problem is - if it falls to connect at car startup.. it will not connect at all (restarting HU / force stopping Android Auto app on phone and re-opening AA app/ restarting phone etc ) .

Wireless AA only connects if vehicle is completely shut off and restarted. Over last one month this has happened 4 to 5 times and now becoming annoying.
Old 30th December 2022, 22:41   #804

Quote:
Originally Posted by baarish84 View Post
Hi , can you please elaborate what is wired Android Auto . I have V variant with wireless AA. If I connect to USB port, it will become wired AA ? I am not getting any prompt for such wired connection.

Yes. Connect a wire between USB port below the Head unit to your phone and switch off the phone wifi. It should connect to Android auto in wired mode.
smilyinblue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2022, 22:53   #805
BHPian

After a mind-numbing wait since Oct 22, I finally went ahead and confirmed a Blue V variant today and paid the initial advance to the dealer, although I had originally booked the Red dual tone V variant. Should be ready for delivery in a week or 2 post loan processing. Have insisted on a PDI next week before I close the remaining finance. Thanks to this group and the wonderful members, my more than a year long hunt for a car seems to be finally coming to an end.
Old 31st December 2022, 07:11   #806
BHPian

Hi all. I did a Pune Mumbai return journey yesterday
Car has returned about 22.8 kpl. Current odo is 425 and still has about 625 kms as range displayed. This is just awesome.

Suspension is a bit bumpy as compared to my Yaris which was very comfortable. Bumps and road undulations filter in.

Rear seat is not very comfortable. Again comparing it to Yaris which had a more relaxed seating position, under thigh support could have been better. Front seats are very comfortable

Sound system to my ears is good enough. Wireless ACP works seamlessly. Wireless charging is slow so prefer to charge with the 12V socket. Call quality is ok. Voice clarity of the microphone could be better.

AC works really well. Ventilated seats are a blessing.

Overtaking is not a problem. Just needs a bit of planning. Need to drive the car sedately car loves cruising at 100 kph. Climbing ghats in eco mode is no problem. This is my default mode for all terrain.

Panoramic sunroof is awesome. Doesn't let the heat in. In fact I like the sun blind. Keeps the cabin airy. Installed a sun film on the sunroof for added effect.

Engine tends to sound like a diesel in ghats. There is a strange clacking sound (has been posted above). Will show it to service centre during first service

Speedy Blue dual tone looks attract a lot of attention. Gives the car a good character.

Ambient lighting is nice. Courtsey lamp, welcome lights are all good features. They should have provided backlit window switches. Need to grope in the dark. Unnecessary cost cutting.

Overall a good deal

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2023 at 17:15. Reason: edited/spellings corrected
Palio_2005 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 13:07   #807

KEY DRAWBACKS (ARGUABLE INDEED) FOR THE KIND ATTENTION OF TOYOTA HQ. (Toyota Hyryder-V variant):

Pls Note: The intention here is for HQ to hopefully consider these constructively and fix whatever is possible ASAP in 2023. Especially since the price is going-up even further!
  • Buggy touch-screen/entertainment unit with faulty wireless Android Auto and a nagging voice prompt.
  • Narrow front seats that lack most-basic thigh support and are pain-full during long journeys.
  • Lack of lumbar-support cushion for front seats while replacing with 3rd party lumbar-support ensures no more ventilated seats.
  • Car is ok for sedate driving, anything above 100Kph is a noticable struggle. Need to be extremely careful while overtaking.
  • The huge camel-hump at rear defies imagination, most probably a Maruti designer's folly.
  • Panaromic sunroof is big however the mosquito net protection/sun-blind is another design blunder.
  • Delicate doors could be a safety issue.
  • Non-linear front brakes create jerks at times
  • TPMS is shows in KPa, instead of Psi, needs rectification by trained personnel.
  • Age-old door panel buttons, steering wheel knobs.etc are proof that the car is just a Toyota-badged Maruti Suzuki, in and out.
  • Cheapest, weakest horn is a reminder of the Maruthi 800
  • Incremental, flat-out acceleration after 80Kph speed is totally missing
  • Insufficient boot space
  • Multiple reports of tractor-type weird engine noise/loud clatter after 2nd service
  • 360 camera is of very low quality
  • Limited headroom at rear
  • Extremely slow wireless charger
  • Maps have a big offset in showing the car location, car's GPS inaccurate
  • In case of an accident, a safety oriented collapsible pedal missing in most variants
  • No cornering lights or curve-adaptive LED projectors
  • Front Seat/head restraint geometry is very bad
  • Are the Seatbelt pre-tensioners perfect? What was the precise reason for recall? Company needs to clarify.
  • No park-assist features
  • Adaptive air suspension with autonomous emergency braking, lane departure warning (LDW) and emergency lane keeping (ELK) are missing, although standard in Hybrids at this high pricing!
  • Child seat attachments (LATCH) are not so easily accessible
  • Erratic Fuel Efficiency from 19 to 26 Kmpl on average
  • No aftermarket accessories
  • Major limitations of low-beam headlight (min 5 lux illumination)
  • Cheap interior plastics feels more “Maruti” than Toyota, even in the top-end variant
  • NVH levels from the comparatively weaker power-train are surprisingly poor for a hybrid, that too from Toyota
  • Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection ought to have been provided at least in the V variant
  • Company needs to reveal the Safety Assessment scores and crash worthiness NCAP ratings like Mahindra and Tata.
  • For the premium pricing, missing features (basic) include rain-sensing wipers, bose audio + subwoofer, electric seats, electric parking brake, LED interior lighting..etc.
  • Finally, very high pricing, shockingly expected to increase even more!
Prakash Rao is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 19:30   #808
BHPian

@ PrakashRao thanks for listing the negatives. Some of them seem far fetched requests. I will agree about two things though. Under thigh support and front seat head restraint position. One causes leg pain and the other severe neck pain. While no 2 can easily be corrected by neck pillow second cant be. BTW do you own a Hyryder?
Palio_2005 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 03:49   #809

Yes, top end variant. FYI, Immediately on delivery we went on a tour. Have already covered 1450 Kms.

If only Toyota realise the shortcomings and swiftly rectifies.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd January 2023 at 09:50. Reason: Please avoid typing....like....this. Thanks!
Prakash Rao is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:07   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
It has been exactly a month since we've brought home our Toyota Hyryder, and incidentally, today was the first time the car has been tanked up since the last full tank was on the day of delivery on 30th November, 2022.

Variant: Hybrid G
The Hyryder proved its mettle on a recent Mumbai-Nashik-Mumbai drive, with 4 passengers on board. Some key observations:

- Performance on tap feels adequate for a sedate drive, especially if you keep speeds restricted to 100kph. The powertrain seamlessly shuttles between petrol and electric drive, and part throttle responses are crisp enough for overtakes.

- When the petrol engine kicks in you can hear a muted grumble, and can feel a hint of vibrations on the seats, however it isn't to the tune of sounding coarse. These are only amplified because the car is dead silent and vibration-free in EV mode (you can hear a faint electric whine in EV mode though).

- 'B' mode is very useful when driving down long slopes or hills, as it controls the vehicle from accelerating freely, thus keeping a check on its speed.

- Suspension is well calibrated. Ride quality is pliant, and even on the highway, there were no unnecessary body movements.

- Brakes need some getting used to as they bite rather suddenly. What I did notice is that if you are braking and the tyres hit a rough batch, the ABS gets very confused, much more than in any other car I've driven.

- The panoramic sunroof and sunshade flood the cabin with heat, especially on a hot day, so you will find the AC working over time. That said, the AC does a rather decent job to keep the cabin temperature low, even at the back.

- Voice assistant kept interrupting erratically. Speakers of G variant certainly leave a lot to be desired particularly on long drives.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230101_143914739_hdr.jpg

- Boot felt adequate for the weekend getaway. Took a medium check in bag, 1 overnighter and a soft cabin bag quite easily.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230101_143815077.jpg

- Nifty storage areas on either sides of the boot floor. Swallowed 3x 750ml bottles easily.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230101_143830173.jpg

- And finally here is the fuel efficiency at the end of the drive (I had reset the Trip meter before the journey). The MID reading is quite accurate from what I've learnt. As mentioned, the drive was sedate, and it also included multiple sections being stuck in dense bumper to bumper traffic on the highway and in the city.
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-img_20230101_203117416.jpg

Last edited by S2!!! : 2nd January 2023 at 15:10.
S2!!! is offline   (32) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks