Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2023, 09:28   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
The car makes all sort of sounds and if you read the user manual, there is a whole page on different sounds which the car is supposed to make . I am due for the first service next week, so will point it out to them.
Pls post a photo of this page from the manual. This will be of great help to new as well as prospective buyers.

Hyryder is the first mass market hybrid in India and there is a bit of a learning curve and getting used to the little things for everyone.
Old 5th January 2023, 09:34   #827
BHPian

Well everyone should ideally read the manual before using the vehicle. Anyways here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-f91482f10c8c49b6a0fd7a156ddd8082.png  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-848427527d5748f2ae8eaf8cc7bc1c87.png  

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-a83c05d122d84969b955cef85c459e32.png  

Palio_2005 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 09:39   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsi View Post
My Hyryder finally got delivered today!

Attachment 2399934

Is the engine supposed to sound very loud inside the cabin while it is idling?
Coming from 4 cylinder cars it's quite unsettling to me.
I don't remember hearing this happening during my test drive few months ago.
Can owners describe what they hear when engine turns on while it's parked?
I recorded the audio.

https://Youtu.be/c-omWVBKTGA
You need to remember that the engine in a hybrid is never really idling i.e the usually 6-700 rpm engine idling speed. When the engine is on, it would always be at a minimum of 1000 rpm or more, usually more. So the engine would sound as if someone is revving the engine to 1300-1500 rpm when standing still and this is what the noise sounds like.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 12:15   #829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn View Post
Thanks! Would appreciate an update when you get one.

Something else I checked on this forum but haven’t received any response on was whether you get any notification if the sunroof is left open after turning the ignition off.
No, you dont. I just went and checked last night.
zmachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 15:47   #830

Hello members. This is my first post on the forum so I apologies in advance for any mistakes.

I have booked Hyryder neo drive e (base) variant from Uttam Toyota and it seems I belong to the minority when it comes to booking hyryder as almost all the posts I have seen are for the hybrid version.

I booked the Hyryder and not Grand Vitara as I liked the front of hyryder more than the GV and the difference in base model for GV and hyryder was just 3k. However Toyota dealers charge logistics and handling charges of Rs 6250 in my city which Nexa dealers don't. That takes the difference to almost 10k and I am willing to pay that for the front looks.

I made the booking a month ago and dealership quoted 48 weeks waiting period for the neo drive(mild hybrid) version and 24 weeks for the hybrid version. I have not received any communication from Toyota about the booking although SA shared a computerized receipt a day later on WA as the booking was done after they had closed their systems for the day apparently.

I have 2 questions. Has anyone refused to pay the logistics charges of 6k at the time of delivery and if yes what was the reaction of dealer at that and does one receive sms/email from Toyota acknowledging the booking?
Old 5th January 2023, 18:21   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo280 View Post
I have booked Hyryder neo drive e (base) variant from Uttam Toyota and it seems I belong to the minority when it comes to booking hyryder as almost all the posts I have seen are for the hybrid version.
I have 2 questions. Has anyone refused to pay the logistics charges of 6k at the time of delivery and if yes what was the reaction of dealer at that and does one receive sms/email from Toyota acknowledging the booking?

Indeed on the minority here for those with Neo driver Hyryder. I have a Neo G.

I wanted the vehicle on priority, so ended up paying what was in the listing.

As for booking receipt, i got the confirmation from the dealer and zero info directly from Toyota.

Question to owners - does follow me home light work for you all? Have enabled it on setting. Regardless, on locking, either via handle button or remote, does not turn it on. Works during unlocking, though.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 19:43   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

If anyone is interested to know the battery replacement cost for the Hybrid HyRyder, it is ₹1.60 Lakh as of today (can vary in the future).

CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 21:57   #833
BHPian

It started in the first minute I took the car out from the showroom and my heart sank thinking I've been given a dud, I even lost sleep over this. Saw some Toyota hybrid troubleshooting videos suggesting it could be misfiring spark plugs, blown head gasket or worn out timing belt, etc. Literally an equivalent to googling your headache and being told you've got a brain tumor. (chances are low but never zero)

I had it checked at the service centre this morning and they confirmed that it's present in all Hyryder Hybrids, even the Camry/Velfire but not as loud.
Since then I've made my peace with it. It's an unsettling sound but I could ignore it after driving it for an hour, not that I have a choice anymore, and I think it has also broken in a bit since then so maybe that has something to do with it.

I've seen and read a lot of reviews on YT and TBHP and I was aware of what the manual says but none of what it says can accurately describe this sound or make sure you're ready for what you're going to hear.
It sounds as if it's coming from a generator of some sort that can be specifically triggered when front defogger is turned on and in park position which also cranks the engine (as it should), that's when the car starts rumbling like a diesel generator as it's trying to charge the EV battery before switching to it. Maybe the cold wave of Delhi has something to do with it.

I'm astounded that no one has specifically pointed this out in their reviews/observations. It does not sound normal to a new user, it's not at all hard to miss and it's really not that subtle because it even makes the floor vibrate.
For someone who notices even the slightest of rattle or wind noise seeping through, It's more annoying than the front doors not closing and the wireless charger asking to realign. Perhaps a heads up would've been nice.
That being said, my disappointment is immeasurable and it is unacceptable.

I will update about this in my own review coming up after the next refuel day.
tjsi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 10:32   #834
BHPian

Quote:
I will update about this in my own review coming up after the next refuel day.
Start the car and run it little hard to bring it to engine cut-in range. Then park it safely with engine running with gear lever in neutral position/ mode.

Open the bonnet and then ask someone to slightly race up the engine in neutral gear mode. Check the engine vibration - whether it is visibly vibrating/ moving vigorously or not. There could be some problem with engine mount.

Please check these with someone accompanying you or at service centre. At service centre you get the option to compare the condition with other similar cars.

During the test drives of Hybrid version, I felt Grand Vitara to be more silent than Hyryder. However, both the cars are identical electro-mechanically.

[Why I suspect engine mounts is my Swift's engine mounts failed without any history of abuse or substantial running, just within few thousand kms of running.]

Also, try to fill up fuel with XP95 next time. Even the NA engines run silently with XP95, sudden accelerations also remain quieter.

Last edited by RijuC : 6th January 2023 at 10:36.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:22   #835
Senior - BHPian

Grand Vitara and Hyryder combined dispatches 10,372 units in December 2022.

Hyundai dispatched 10,205 Creta's in December.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review-smartselect_20230106112001_chrome.jpg

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 6th January 2023 at 11:27.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:39   #836
BHPian

Good numbers for Grand vitara and Hyryder, looks like they pushed a lot to balance the dip in November and also the newly launched CNG version.

Creta+ Seltos numbers are still higher at 15K, without counting Alcazar & Carens.
Old 6th January 2023, 12:38   #837
BHPian

Quote:
It started in the first minute I took the car out from the showroom and my heart sank thinking I've been given a dud, I even lost sleep over this.
Thats worrying to hear. I myself have booked the hybrid variant and awaiting delivery. I could not hear this noise while I took the test drive - but then I did not specifically go outside the car when the engine was running.

Can you observe and report:
  • Does the noise get muted after engine is warmed up?
  • It could also be due to the fuel filled - does the noise get corrected after filling fuel? I guess the amount of fuel filled from factory is just enough for running the PDI and transportation distance only.
We have a Kwid and M800 5 speed in our garage - and the newer kwid sounds really bad at cold start, but gets better after warming up. Same noise is seen in my sister's new Taigun 1.0 which is just a month old. Hence I am thinking if its something to do with the 3 cylinder engine characteristics.

After this issue was reported, I checked many YouTube videos for the noise on Yaris cross hybrid, which comes with the same power train. None have a sound like in the Hyryder. It makes me wonder if Toyota have cut some corners with the locally produced Engine. After all, they are partnering with Suzuki - the masters of cost engineering.
TT-S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 13:58   #838
BHPian

I have the same noise and am not worried. Having experienced Toyota service for 3.2 years they will take care of it if there is a problem. Dont get over worked up.
Old 6th January 2023, 18:03   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonHawk View Post
Went and did the PDI of the Blue V variant car that is being allotted to me. Everything seems in order, didn't see any fit or finish issues, the electronics seem to be working well, 16km as of now on the ODO, and the 17 digit VIN (this surprised me since everywhere I was checking it mentioned Toyota has 22 digit VIN) was decoded to show a November 2022 manufacturing date so I gave the go ahead and went to the bank to complete the loan formalities. Should get the delivery by weekend or next week, based on RTO timings. Excited!
Even though all was well during PDI, unfortunately delivery day has been terrible at Nandi Whitefield.

Found one deep scratch on the back quarter panel and the cladding below, and small scratches on bonnet and front bumper of the car. They are saying they will repaint the quarter panel and the cladding and do overall detailing on the other areas and give it back, but just to arrive at this it took almost 4 hrs of us sitting hungry and waiting and trying to escalate.

Till then they were saying this can be fixed by rubbing which didn't help at all, and in fact may have spoiled some of the paint on the quarter panel that now needs to be repainted. Have an email from their asst manager sales promising they will repaint the panel and replace the cladding (timeline for cladding replacement is not confirmed as they are checking with parts team) and detail the car to remove any and all other scratches.

Request the opinion of other BHPians,
1) is it OK to accept a new car that now will have a repainted quarter panel? Will the fact that it's repainted will show up in a resale even though they are claiming it won't be on the service record. Won't they check with a light meter or something that shows imperfections in the painting compared to factory finish?
2) what other options are there for me to ensure Nandi Toyota stands by their words and deliver me the fixed car as promised? Unfortunately since all was well in the PDI, the car is now registered on my name, bank loan is active, Toyota iConnect is active on the car, and insurance is also active, and yet I don't have my car with me

PS - we would have taken the delivery of the car with a promise of the issues being fixed had they owned up to the issue at the beginning and admitted that these scratches cannot be fixed by rubbing and buffing and given a clear commitment to fix it, but the fact it took them more than 4 hrs to arrive at this with a plethora of wrong messages trying to get us to ignore the issues and take the delivery, really got our goat.
Old 6th January 2023, 20:33   #840
BHPian

Quote:
It started in the first minute I took the car out from the showroom and my heart sank thinking I've been given a dud
Day 3
I drove the car on my commute route today, 3 hrs total.
The generator has definitely broken in and sounds better now. Yes, cold starts in the current Delhi weather seem to affect the intensity of its noise in the cabin. The noise goes unnoticed when the car is fully warmed up and has been running for a while.

It was much less when I started it up 8 hours on my way back. The engine alone doesn't make any more noise than my CVT City. It's good enough.

I'd say I had a rather pleasant driving experience today, similar to the time I took the TD. The car drives great.
Would I defend this particular characteristic of the car? No.
The sound dampening could've been better and subtle.

A point saying something like "generator sounds along with engine sounds may be heard inside the cabin when the hybrid battery (traction battery) is being charged during driving at low speeds, idling or when the defogger is turned on." would've been nice in that fancy manual.

Here's a video 2 days later. The power flow meter shows what you're hearing.

tjsi is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks