Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 10:27   #286
BHPian

Re: Maruti Fronx Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanPitre View Post
6 days and no new post on the forum of a new CSUV from Maruti. Is that an indication of the lukewarm response for this car?
I find that in many ways the formula of this car isn't something to get excited about. It's in essence an overpriced dressed up Baleno on stilts with a weird name. It is a good looking car but the buck stops there. The car doesn't differentiate itself from the Baleno much more than that and even the boosterjet in its current tune doesn't excite enough in a car that is dynamically average.

It's possible that the variants at the lower end will sell in some numbers but that's just business as usual.
Old 25th May 2023, 11:10   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by murlidar View Post
What would be better 1) Baleno Alpha AMT (top model) OTR Rs.11.38L on road vs 2) Fronx Delta Plus AMT OTR Rs.10.69L on road? Both top models with 1.2 NA engine In terms of VFM, safety, comfort, mileage and resale?
I have the same dilemma. After the test drives I found that both Baleno and Fronx have a average/weak air conditioner. Now I'm considering Tata Punch as it has the same ground clearance as Fronx, better a/c and better safety while being cheaper.
TechFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:16   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post

It's possible that the variants at the lower end will sell in some numbers but that's just business as usual.
There is a poll running on the forum asking people to select which engine and gear combination they would buy and the turbo seems to be walking away with the prize. Though I personally wonder how many of those who voted for turbo would actually put any money on this car. Especially with its seat belt feature.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:30   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
The turbo seems to be walking away with the prize. Though I personally wonder how many of those who voted for turbo would actually put any money on this car. Especially with its seat belt feature.
Even I voted for 1.0T but I cancelled my booking on the same day the prices were announced. If you had to choose between that 1.2 AMT or 1.0 Turbo TC, I doubt anyone would choose the former but if the poll was slightly modified to include 'at that price', the results could be different with many even abstaining for the vote!
clementj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 11:51   #290
BHPian

Nearly a month since launch and no reviews yet. Says a lot about volume of sale and acceptance at the price.
Old 25th May 2023, 12:17   #291
BHPian

I had the opportunity to check out the Fronx last week. The car is quite a looker, there's no denying it. However, it failed to impress me squarely because Maruti is promoting the car as an SUV / crossover. I didn't find the car to have an SUV-ish feel at all. While the car strongly resembles the Grand Vitara from the front, it's essentially just a glorified Baleno. Despite claiming to have a ground clearance of 190mm, I didn't find the seating position to be high enough.

The 1.0-liter Turbo engine with automatic transmission is a potent combination. However, considering its asking price, I'm not sure if it will have buyers queuing up. According to the sales advisor I spoke with, the average waiting period for all variants is about 15 days! Isn't this surprising for a Maruti that was launched just about a month ago?"

Dare I say, Maruti first got the name wrong and now the pricing / positioning. Just to reiterate my point, the Fronx 1.2 Delta+ variant doesn't come with a reverse camera, yet it's priced at INR 10.9 lakhs on-road in Bangalore!
Old 25th May 2023, 13:02   #292
BHPian

Mod note: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.

I feel Maruti should have launched Fronx only with the 1.2 NA engine and differentiated it by giving cvt/tc gearbox. They could have priced it around 13.5L on road for that combination and it could have attracted a lot of buyers.
I don't have a lot of problems with Fronx being based on Baleno as Baleno gets a lot of things right that normal customers want - great space, good engine with very good FE and features.

If they were hell bent on launching that boosterjet engine, they could have launched a RS variant.
I see a lot of people interested in Fronx but not at 15L+ on road. For VFM, delta+ is good but it just doesn't feel like a 11L car. In the same showroom you have a Baleno which feels much better for same cost. I don't know what Maruti were thinking! Too much faith in themselves or the blind following of Indians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
There is a poll running on the forum asking people to select which engine and gear combination they would buy and the turbo seems to be walking away with the prize. Though I personally wonder how many of those who voted for turbo would actually put any money on this car. Especially with its seat belt feature.
Even I would vote for 1.0 AT Alpha variant, but not if I have to buy it. It's main rival - Venue feels like a mini version of Creta (a car from one segment above). While Fronx feels like stylish version of Baleno (a car from segment below). That is the problem with this car.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th May 2023 at 13:27. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.
RohanPitre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 13:05   #293
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As far as I know, here in my district in Kerala, most variants of the Fronx are readily available, with a few select ones having a maximum of two weeks waiting, This is absolutely unheard of, meanwhile, the Baleno has a much higher waiting period. Here a few of my friends who were considering buying the Baleno were persuaded to buy the Fronx citing lower waiting periods and SUV-like looks, they obliged as they were anyway going for the AMT variants and wanted the car quick, and delivery was made in a weeks notice.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 13:15   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
Even I voted for 1.0T ... I doubt anyone would choose the former but if the poll was slightly modified to include 'at that price'
Same here, I had voted for the 1.0 T with the proper Torque Converter AT. But I don't have any intentions of buying it at 'that price'. For that matter, I'm not ever going to be buying any new car at any of 'these' prices.

I'll just wait till someone sells off their Fronx 1.0 AT a few years down the line.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 17:36   #295
BHPian

Apologies in advance if such questions are not allowed, but which car will you guys prefer for a budget up to 12L on road:
1. Baleno Alpha AMT
2. Fronx Delta+ AMT
3. Amaze VX CVT

Or will you consider something else? I'm looking at automatics or AMT only.
Old 25th May 2023, 18:07   #296
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Apologies in advance if such questions are not allowed, but which car will you guys prefer for a budget up to 12L on road:
1. Baleno Alpha AMT
2. Fronx Delta+ AMT
3. Amaze VX CVT

Or will you consider something else? I'm looking at automatics or AMT only.
None of the above, I would prefer a Tata Altroz XZA Plus Petrol DCA at 11.72 lakhs OTR Mumbai or a Hyundai i20 Sportz Turbo DCT at 11.99 lakhs OTR Mumbai if I am looking for a hatchback

Else if I am looking for an SUV, I would go for either a Tata Nexon XMA at 11.20 lakhs OTR Mumbai or a Nissan Magnite XV Turbo CVT at 11.65 lakhs OTR Mumbai.

Lastly, I wouldn't prefer a sedan in this budget anyway but if a sedan it is, then the Honda Amaze VX CVT as listed in your query would be my last option.

There is a clear reason why I didn't choose either the Baleno or the Fronx AMT, The reason being they are AMTs and not the safest out there, All others in my recommendations barring the Nexon are either CVT or DCT as they are far superior to the AMT, Moreover, every car I suggested aside from the i20 is rated 4-stars or above by GNCAP.

Now, if the AMT is an option you are OK with, then the Baleno Alpha AMT may be considered, but I wouldn't recommend the Fronx unless you are in desperate need of a car and want the SUV looks, don't mind the price premium and the Fronx is readily available.
bijims is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 20:53   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
None of the above, I would prefer a Tata Altroz XZA Plus Petrol DCA at 11.72 lakhs OTR Mumbai or a Hyundai i20 Sportz Turbo DCT at 11.99 lakhs OTR Mumbai if I am looking for a hatchback

Else if I am looking for an SUV, I would go for either a Tata Nexon XMA at 11.20 lakhs OTR Mumbai or a Nissan Magnite XV Turbo CVT at 11.65 lakhs OTR Mumbai.

Lastly, I wouldn't prefer a sedan in this budget anyway but if a sedan it is, then the Honda Amaze VX CVT as listed in your query would be my last option.

There is a clear reason why I didn't choose either the Baleno or the Fronx AMT, The reason being they are AMTs and not the safest out there, All others in my recommendations barring the Nexon are either CVT or DCT as they are far superior to the AMT, Moreover, every car I suggested aside from the i20 is rated 4-stars or above by GNCAP.

Now, if the AMT is an option you are OK with, then the Baleno Alpha AMT may be considered, but I wouldn't recommend the Fronx unless you are in desperate need of a car and want the SUV looks, don't mind the price premium and the Fronx is readily available.
Apologies for not providing enough context. This will be our second car and mostly used by my dad who's 60 now. The car will be driven 95% in city. Hence the main criteria is hassle free ownership, space, decent or better FE. That's why I mentioned products from Maruti and Honda.

Safety is something I don't take lightly, but since the car will be driven majorly in city and won't cross 40-50kmph most times, I'm considering Maruti products. Another bonus with Maruti is good resale, as ideally I want to buy a CSUV but the automatics are expensive & I don't want to stretch my budget that much at this time.

I test drove Baleno and the AMT is decent if throttle input is light. I can see how the gearbox can be a pain on highways. Not sure about reliability.
Fronx didn't feel different than Baleno from inside. Can't feel the SUV stance at all. So I'll rather buy Baleno Alpha over Fronx Delta+.
Amaze I'm planning to drive simply to see how much better the cvt gearbox is. Negatives for me are it's dated and it feels so, and it also doesn't seem as spacious as Baleno.

I like Altroz but can't promise hassle free experience with Tata. I20 doesn't really fit my criteria much. I'm also looking at 2nd hand options like Sonet D AT or City AT which can come till 13L. But overall Baleno does make a lot of sense for this use case.
Old 25th May 2023, 20:54   #298
BHPian

Just cancelled my booking for Fronx Alpha AT.

Main reasons.
  1. The not so good reviews
  2. poor mileage
  3. Pricing
  4. the special buckle up alarm

The last item takes a special place, I just can't understand it.

Last edited by SedateGuy : 25th May 2023 at 20:56.
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2023, 15:27   #299
BHPian

Quote:
I like Altroz but can't promise hassle free experience with Tata. I20 doesn't really fit my criteria much. I'm also looking at 2nd hand options like Sonet D AT or City AT which can come till 13L. But overall Baleno does make a lot of sense for this use case.
Altroz is really underpowered. Even in reasonably steep inclines, the car huffs and puffs through and I didn't like driving it one bit. I would not recommend (we own the manual version) personally.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the D AT - I use it primarily for the city drives with occassional long highway drives. Hassle free experience so far and from the general user experience, you should have a hassle free ownership as well.
Old 26th May 2023, 17:12   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
Altroz is really underpowered. Even in reasonably steep inclines, the car huffs and puffs through and I didn't like driving it one bit. I would not recommend (we own the manual version) personally.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the D AT - I use it primarily for the city drives with occassional long highway drives. Hassle free experience so far and from the general user experience, you should have a hassle free ownership as well.
Yeah even I'm tempted to buy a Diesel before they disappear altogether. Our first car is a Volkswagen TDI DSG and man does that car pull and pull. But Sonet is the only diesel car with proper auto, and ideally I don't want to spend more than 12L on road. Let's see.
RohanPitre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks