Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 06:30   #4081
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
I am considering getting the Polo Comfortline/Highline Plus (unless they find stock for my Figo booking). The VW dealership says that Comfortline has alloy wheels, while the website and everywhere else it doesn't say that. Is it true that Comfortline now has alloys by default?
Ask them to show you the car in person, that will solve everything. Are you getting the petrol or the diesel variant? What are the discounts available? Insurance from outside i hope
Old 29th December 2019, 12:14   #4082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Ask them to show you the car in person, that will solve everything. Are you getting the petrol or the diesel variant? What are the discounts available? Insurance from outside i hope
Oh, I moved on and got Tiago XZA+ instead, delivered on 27th.
VW discounts kept on changing based on the manufacturing month. It turns out they had old Cup edition vehicles still around.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:40   #4083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
Oh, I moved on and got Tiago XZA+ instead, delivered on 27th.
VW discounts kept on changing based on the manufacturing month. It turns out they had old Cup edition vehicles still around.
Hey congratulations, i was gonna suggest you tiago/tigor as well, the 1 litre 75bhp engine in the polo isn't worth it.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 10:48   #4084
BHPian

I've been a silent reader/follower for most of time in my membership period on Team-BHP. Here's my story/experience of buying a pre-owned car in Bangalore. This is going to be a story-cum-purchase and ownership experience post. The writing style may feel unprofessional since I don't write much - so please bear with me or choose to skip. All pictures are taken using a mobile phone camera.

History:

Being a middle class motorcycle guy for most of my life till now(still I am), I was not into cars. The whole enthusiasm was restricted upto watching car races on TV or getting a chance to ride in taxis. My family got our first car in 2014 during my sister's wedding in Jharkhand. My father bought it with a small loan because it was about time we had a car, and my elder brother insisted that we get one - my Father was more inclined because elder brother faced issues in hot weather being studied and lived in US for couple of year now.

It was a brand new Grandi10 Sportz and cost ~5.3L OTR.
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-gi10.jpg

I was elated, but having no experience being in a driver's seat ever, and the fact that it was a brand new car - I was afraid to touch the steering. After the hustle and bustle of wedding got over, I gradually started learning how to drive with the help of a daily wage local driver.

Gradually, I was getting confidence and one day, broke the shackles of fear and took the car out by myself(I am still proud that I took it out of the apartment's basement parking on steep incline) - that was the day I can say I learnt how to drive(including in a congested tier II city).

Back in Bangalore, I always wanted a car for myself - but didn't have enough savings and a real good determination of owing a car. I would say I am an instinctive buyer and want something immediately if I like it in first sight(this comes in effect later in the post). The wait continued and I kept checking car brands, prices, the loan/EMI i would need to pay if I buy this/that car etc.. but again, the EMIs and no real need of a car held me for another 2-3 years.

Fast-forward to 2018

I used to stay with friends in a shared flat and one of my flatmates was really eager to buy a car in Jan 2018. He is a very practical guy in terms of finance and convinced me of benefits of a good used car. I used to read on online forums as well including team-bhp, and was convinced on his decision to buy a used car. On the opposite, my father is a big opponent of the idea of buying used stuff - it is a task convincing him. Anyway, it was not me who was buying the car at this time.

Now, the risks of buying a used car are many as obvious and hence the search for a used car for him started.

We roamed multiple places in west and east bangalore, as well as looked online - took test drives of many cars, but there was still a doubt about the genuineness of the car and it's history.

Then he stumbled upon a very excellent reviewed dealer(more on that later) in HSR layout. We went there(I was the one who knew driving and was the expert of two ) and test drove few cars. The dealer actually turned out to be fairly good at first glance. They agreed to send the car for inspection on their cost wherever we wish in Bangalore - this inspired more confidence in us.

We finalized a 2014 Polo Comfortline(~28k run) in good condition with little bargain - the dealer bargains very little since they actually keep good cars and check history and stuff before buying one. The deal was fixed for 4.5L including little repairs and polish etc.

The first polo(My friend's) comes home (Extreme left is the test driver/wannabe expert):
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-ak_car.jpg

It was a good deal because the car was in very good condition and few niggles like broken knobs for couple AC vents and stuff didn't bother him.

Come March 2018

It's been 2 months since my flatmate bought the polo and during this time I was helping him learn driving. I fell in love with polo's build quality(see the crash section ahead), character and the door thuds. Even though it has a 3-Cyl mill, it didn't bother me because for me, car was more like a commuter and safety tool than a enthusiastic driver's toy. It provided a decent pull and I was satisfied with it.

Now, one day, the bug inside us came alive on one weekend beacause my friend was pestering me continuously to accompany him in the car club - and here we went another used car shopping - this time for me.

My budget was 3-4 Lacs and I was looking for a polo preferably. We kept the HSR dealer as a last option and went to jaynagar and saw few cars, but as the First-sight-choice making person I am, nothing "clicked" to me in amy of those cars, even though I liked few of them.

Finally, we went to the HSR dealer as I was quite impressed with the previous deal. I test drove couple of i20s, i10 and liked an i20 ASTA which was coming for around 4Lacs. It looked good and had clicked ~30K kms. I was about to finish the deal for it.

While negotiating with the salesman to make it ~3.75 lacs, I happened to look around the building and there it was! A blue polo - looking almost new and shining. I asked the guy if it was for sale, and yes, it was!

But, the salesman said and I quote, ''Sir, it is wayyy out of your budget! 5.8 Lacs sir". I asked the details of the car and here they are:

Year: 2015 Dec
Kms run: ~8000 ! (The reason for it to look almost new)
Specs: 1.2 Comfortline, ABS, 2 Airbags
No. of owner: 1
Issues: NONE! Engine bay was sparkling clean, interiors still had plastics all over the console/radio etc. Only the FL wheel cover was slightly broken.

I almost made a noob buyer mistake and said, "I WANT this car and will buy it right now, tell me the final price." It turned out from our past experience and in future course that my negotiation was not that bad.

After few rounds of negotiation and almost getting up and leaving(The classic saree shopping etiquette) I finalized the deal - less because I was happy with the price and it was actually wayy out of my budget, more because I am an instinctive buyer, and it was love at first sight.

The final price was 5.2L - now you are free to judge me here that I made a mistake or not, for a ~8k km run car in 2.4 years of ownership(The owner had moved to US as verified by me), an almost 2.6 Lacs dep looked fine to me - given I actually didn't care about profit or loss at the time.

Later, there was a small mostly harmless paint job that the salesman admitted, which I was ok with as it looked like driving mistake. Image is low quality because of salesman's camera:

Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-carinitial.jpg

As with the previous car(friend's polo), they sent the car for inspection at place of my choice. I got a general inspection done at VW nagwara for ~1K. Although the authorized service centers don't formally certify the used cars, the service manager at that time told me it looked good.

The delivery was finalized 2-3 days later by the time I arranged the money. They promised to change the wheel cap and fix IND number plates at delivery, along with polish etc.

The delivery

I took a friend of mine on the delivery date and the process went smooth. They took care of the ownership transfer as well.

Here's me taking the delivery of my first car, have a look at the shine:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-delivery.jpg

Here's a random lame picture of the dash(forgive my hairs legs):
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-4.jpg

At my apartments, posing stupidly:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg

Again an idiotic pose in Hampi with the muddy gradients:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg

Another random picture from Hampi:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-3.jpg

The 2-year Ownership review:

The car is great. I can proudly say I made a good decision and the car has been performing excellent in the limits it belongs to. The build quality is great of course, and am quite happy being an owner of a pre-owned car.

Here I am listing the Issues I have faced in 2 years of ownership:

1. The boot door was slightly misaligned, which was fixed quickly by ASC.
2. Wipers needed replacement(Of course).

That's it. Nothing else. I got it serviced immediately after delivery, which costed ~12K.

The crash

In Early 2019, Because of entirely my mistake and lack of concentration, I hit the Mansfield bar of a truck near KR puram while starting at green of the traffic light.

I was looking at a biker trying to sneak in between the car and truck ahead of me, and went too close to the truck and the inevitable, "he applied brakes". I was not looking ahead and hit the bar at ~5 -10 KMPH.

It was enough to crush the VW emblem, emblem grill, one mount each of both headlamps, and a small bend in the bonnet at the emblem area.

I had to get both the headlamps, emblem, grill replaced and the bonnet tinkered, repainted. Set me back by 23K.

But, using genuine parts helped and the car is back to glory and going strong.

The broken/replaced parts:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-cr1.jpg

After repairs at workshop:
Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review-cr4.jpeg

Fuel economy:

On highways with sedated driving and half occupancy (80-90 kmph), it yields ~18-19 kmpl.

Above 100 kmph, 17-18 kmpl.

In city, we better don't talk about it. I get 6-11 kmpl.

Conclusion:

Overall, it has been a good buy, excellent decision from my end even though I don't make many

Car is running great, has clocked 23k kms now. The tires will last another 10K at least. I'm a happy owner.

I have helped another friend buy the third car - a grandi10 from the same dealer few months ago. We all are pretty happy with the dealer. I almost got the 4th car from them, but the deal broke for ~20k negotiation because the car was almost brand new and neither parties were willing to budge.

Fun fact before I close: We 4 friends were staying together in an apartment flat: 3 bought cars from same dealer, the 4th deal to break was the 4th flatmate.

I thank you for your time and patience. Please excuse any mistakes. Thanks for reading!
amods is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:34   #4085

Hi Guys,
I'm a proud owner of a 2010 Polo 6R 1.2 MPI and have been enjoying it throughly, but off late its been slightly behaving weirdly, so let me explain. I commute quite frequently between Chennai and Bangalore.The car has been performing just like always in Chennai, but in Bangalore the throttle response feels quite muted and it climbs through the rev range a lot slower. Any idea on what this issue might be? I've procured a set of foglamps (Comfortline Model and I got the headlamp switch too) which I'm planning to install but I'm confused with the wiring setup. Can anyone please help me on this?
Old 31st January 2020, 17:32   #4086

Hey folks, I recently found out that my 1.5 tdi's radiator fan doesn't stay ON after I turn off the car. Earlier, it used to continue running for atleast 10~15 seconds after driving in hot conditions. (Ambient temperature is very high at where I live.)
I examined the fan. It works fine while the engine is running. But it stops as soon as i turn the key off. Pointed out the same to VW ASC during a service. They couldn't find any fault and told me that ECU decides how long the fan should stay ON.
I took a short spin on another polo which was much newer than mine and it had the fan stay running for almost 30 seconds after turning OFF.
I hope this doesn't turn into a serious issue as it's purpose is to dissipate some heat from the coolant.

Experienced ones, kindly share your thoughts...
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:52   #4087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman View Post
I hope this doesn't turn into a serious issue as it's purpose is to dissipate some heat from the coolant.

Experienced ones, kindly share your thoughts...
If the fan is working while the car engine is running then there's nothing to worry about, after the engine is turned off the coolant and the engine cools down naturally. Try the Polo gt tdi thread as experts are more active there.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2020, 18:51   #4088
BHPian

Hi BHPians!

I recently got a minor front suspension job done on my wife's Polo 1.2 Highline 2013. It was making a squeaking noise on going over bumps, which used to be prominent when driving after long time and then gradually reduce as the suspension worked its way though more bumps. During the job, the sway bar links and rubber bushes were replaced for Rs.650 a pair each by my FNG.

Whilst the squeaking noise is gone now, I hear 'tak-tak' noise on going over bad roads. It is amplified when jerks are short and sharp, like angled entry-exit ramps with serrations for better grip on underground mall parkings. Sometime sudden acceleration / deceleration also causes one short 'tak'.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with my Jetta 1.4TSI 2014 which underwent the same job for the same reason. However, the parts were not replaced, but removed, lubricated and re-fitted.

The mechanic is trusted. He has re-checked the suspension and is suspecting that it could be one of the strut bearings. However, I feel it has got to do something with whatever job has been done, and he needs to be pointed in the right direction. I will be thankful for any suggestions from fellow BHPians as to what could be the problem and how to resolve it.

MOD NOTE - Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st May 2020 at 16:49. Reason: skweaking = squeaking. And other typos.
Old 26th March 2020, 19:47   #4089
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen BS6 Polo details:

Link (The 2019 VW Polo and Vento facelifts, now launched)
Old 27th March 2020, 14:17   #4090
Senior - BHPian

No reviews on the 1 liter TSI yet? Have they not launched the Polo in the indian market with this engine? Or have the test drive cars not been made available to the consumer yet? Looking forward to how this engine compares to the age old 1.2 TSI.
Old 27th March 2020, 15:16   #4091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
No reviews on the 1 liter TSI yet? Have they not launched the Polo in the indian market with this engine? Or have the test drive cars not been made available to the consumer yet?
TD cars were supposed to arrive in April first week. God only knows what the timelines are now.
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:22   #4092

Hello all. I own a polo which was manufactured in 2012, and since have tried to make it more upmarket by changing the seat covers infotainment system etc. I don’t know if this is the right place to ask, but has anyone with an older polo- pre 2013 facelift tried to facelift their car by replacing the front and rear bumpers? Is it advisable?
I asked a dealer about changing the steering wheel to the flat bottom steering wheel, but they advised me against it.
Maybe all this is unnecessary, but I like the current look better and was wondering whether it makes sense to facelift the polo myself at a dealer level.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 25th April 2020, 22:42   #4093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks View Post
Hello all. I own a polo which was

Any advice would be appreciated.
There's a tbhp user who has done all kinds of modification on his polo including steering swap, adding cruise control, auto dimming rear view mirrors and many more, search for his threads on the forum
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...l-upgrade.html (VW Polo DIY: Mk7 Flat-bottom Steering wheel upgrade)
You can go through all his DIYs and get the idea of what can be done
Old 27th April 2020, 06:57   #4094
Senior - BHPian

BS6 Volkswagen Polo, Polo GT BS6 Fuel Efficiency Figures Out.

Both the petrol variants with 1-litre MPI unit and 1-litre TSI unit are claimed to return fuel economy of 17.75 kmpl and 18.24 kmpl respectively.

Source : carandbike.com

https://www.carandbike.com/news/bs6-...vealed-2218200

Quote:
Volkswagen launched the BS6 compliant versions of its popular hatchback, Polo last month in India. The company announced the detailed variant-wise prices of the BS6 Polo on the website, which starts from Rs. 5.82 lakh (Ex-showroom). And, now the carmaker has revealed the claimed mileage figures for both the petrol versions on its official website. According to the listing, the 1-litre MPI petrol is claimed to return a mileage of 17.75 kmpl. On the other hand, the 1-litre TSI engine provides a fuel efficiency of 18.24 kmpl.

The BS4 version of the 1-litre MPI petrol engine returned claimed fuel efficiency of 18.78 kmpl (ARAI certified). Having said, the BS6 version returns a mileage of 17.75 kmpl, it is 1.03kmpl less than the BS4 iteration. Moreover, the powerful 1-litre TSI is an all-new petrol engine.

The Volkswagen is offering the Polo hatchback with same 1-litre MPI petrol mill, however, it now comes in a BS6 avatar. The unit is capable of making 74.9 bhp of maximum power with 95 Nm of peak torque, which is the same as to the BS4 model. The company also offers Polo with a more powerful unit, which is a 1-litre TSI turbo-petrol that is capable of belting out 108.4 bhp against 175 Nm of torque. However, the powerful engine is limited to the Highline+ and GT variants only. The 1-litre MPI engine comes mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox whereas the powerful petrol engine is clubbed with a 6-speed manual transmission and automatic gearbox.

The company launched the BS6 iteration of the Polo and Vento last month. Both the models share the same 1-litre TSI turbo-petrol engine. However, the company hasn't revealed the exact fuel efficiency of the 1-litre Vento BS6. We speculate that it could be similar to that of the Polo with TSI motor. Notably, the company has discontinued the 1.5-litre TDI diesel and 1.2-litre TSI petrol engines from its line-up. And, the company has also discontinued its DSG technology from the Polo range.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:02   #4095
BHPian

Here's the Long term Ownership review of my VW Polo Petrol.
Nearly 10 years. How's it holding up?

ashishskapoor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks