Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2010, 21:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO. Looks like you had a blast driving this thing and your enthusiasm shows in the review.

But after all these years, still the 0-100 does not even come close to the 10 sec benchmark. Must be a combination of lag, tall gearing, long throw shift and dead weight.

Great move by FIAT to capture the hearts and minds of the enthusiast. Remains to be seen if the mass market can digest a turbo petrol.

How did you like the GY NCTs?

Tailpipe is aftermarketish. I would take a hacksaw and chop it.
Quote:
Also, my 5’ 6” lady passenger frequently banged her head against the curvy roof when getting into the rear (not once, but several times).
She'll be well prepared when you get the CLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This will frequently happen in the city and you have only one solution = Downshift! In that sense, yes, you will have to make use of the gearbox. Understand the engine power delivery characteristics and it’s easy to drive around the lag within the city.
A quick (down)shifting 5 speed automatic would do wonders with this engine. Point and shoot.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th October 2010 at 23:07.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:42   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
does this mean the linea is faster than the city for 0-90?
Thats a good question, I would think it would be slightly faster than the City till the change to 3rd gear.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:51   #93

Brief Second Test Drive

I just took a second test drive of the T Jet. The last time around was on a Saturday afternoon with the roads more or less empty and I got to take her all the way to 120kmph. This time around I took her out for a spin at 6:30 PM on a weekday in peak traffic. And it started to rain within a minute of starting off!

I was quite pleased with the T Jet's drivability in slow moving traffic. The turbo lag is more noticeable in stop and go conditions and I was happier keeping her in 1st gear at speeds below 20kmph.

Since it was still raining when I got back to the showroom, I spent quite a while examining the display T Jet. I was quite surprised at the difference in the two cars. The car on display had a much better fit and finish. As an example - the ignition console on the TD car looked exactly like the image posted by GTO. Whereas the display car had a much better fitted console - took a pic with my phone camera (no flash in the camera, so apologies for the poor quality pic)

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjetkeyconsole.jpg

The sales guy's explanation for this was that the TD car was one of the cars which had been used at the Aamby Valley test drives, before the official launch, and was a "pre-launch" version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Oh come on!! Tell me you are kidding.
GTO, well, ok, the actual words she used were "Has that guy, who writes reviews on that Team-BHP site you keep looking at, written his review yet?". I've been evaluating cars around the 10 lac price point for a couple of months now to replace my 4 y.o. Baleno and your reviews have been an absolutely fantastic source of information.
Old 19th October 2010, 22:04   #94
BHPian

My short test drive report:
Saw the car, drove the car, have no other words to describe the feeling except that i just booked it on the spot! Expecting delivery this weekend after all the formalities & paperwork.

GTO has definitely put this car in real good perspective. Reviews are one thing but the real experience with this car is meant to be felt rather than read.
Old 19th October 2010, 23:15   #95
BHPian

I see a trend with the Linea TJET, Punto 90 HP, Palio 1.6GTX

I think that Fiat maybe onto something here - they seem to have become common man's 'enthusiast' car. Its almost like the market itself has encouraged them to re-position their products in the performance and good looks segment.

Maybe they're better off being this niche player rather than that 'mass market' players that they are constantly aspiring to be.

India's 'alfa romeo'. Any takers?
Old 20th October 2010, 01:52   #96
BHPian

Comprehensive testing. My Linea is a year old - I would have paid the difference to acquire this one for sure.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:56   #97
BHPian

i have a feeling this is not going to remain only an 'enthusiast' car. The GTX was ahead of its time, this is not. People who take a test drive will obviously be charmed by the t-jet, and it will not be a surprise if t-jet drives the linea sales.

Ok, how many of you current linea owners would have paid extra and gone for the t-jet?
Old 20th October 2010, 09:32   #98
BHPian

Great review GTO.

I've test driven the Fiat Bravo Maunal 1.4 T-jet 150bhp in Singapore. This is an Intercooled motor which explains the extra power. The torque is 206Nm.

The only other motor which can outperform Fiat (in this price range) is the supercharged 1.4 TSI from VW. Power-160bhp(5800rpm) and torque 240Nm(1500-4500rpm).

Hope we will get this soon in the petrol Vento.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:10   #99
BHPian

5 star review as always. Fantastic work GTO. With only a 1.3L difference between the T-Jet and the older version petrol Linea, the T-Jet is too tempting a proposition for any prospective petrol Linea buyers. Hopefully, the car will be made available in the other cities too.

A Punto with this T-Jet engine should be Fiat's next target. Would be the most well built hatch with oodles of power to match.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:36   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
GTO, one question, was this TD arranged by FIAT or this was a Dealers car ?
Fiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Given the specs,I wonder why is city still quicker than T-jet by whatever negligible margin.Is it because of Power/weight ratio ?
- More power
- Lesser weight
- Taller 2nd gear
- Quicker gearshifts

Quote:
Also, does this mean the END OF ROAD to the CEDIA ??
When did the Cedia ever begin? In terms of driving pleasure, there is no comparison. The T-Jet trumps over the Cedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
BTW nice review GTO. I see the car you have tested is only 1500kms old. I wonder how the performance would change after another couple thousand, im sure it would shave of a bit in the 0-100 time.
I'd guess atleast a 1/2 second, once the engine is 10,000 kms old and well run-in (as with all engines).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
That turbo looks tiny. Why only 113 bhp at 2.2 bar. That's a lot of boost. I get that with just 5 psi not even 8.
Fiat says their turbo can run "up to" 2.2 bar. I doubt its running at full boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How did you like the GY NCTs?
I've used them for 30,000 kms earlier and am well familiar with how they behave. Wouldn't say they have anywhere close to the grip of Michelin PP2s / PS3s or even the Yokos. Tyre noise well in control. What I like about the tyre is that, they don't suddenly snap. Rather, when running out of grip, its really progressive...squeals to give you warning enough.

Quote:
Tailpipe is aftermarketish. I would take a hacksaw and chop it.
Completely agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvig View Post
I was quite surprised at the difference in the two cars. The car on display had a much better fit and finish. As an example - the ignition console on the TD car looked exactly like the image posted by GTO. Whereas the display car had a much better fitted console
That's the difference between a disciplined assembly line (e.g. Toyota) and Fiats. The latter suffers from terrible inconsistency. Having some well-assembled cars is hardly an excuse for those that aren't.

Quote:
GTO, well, ok, the actual words she used were "Has that guy, who writes reviews on that Team-BHP site you keep looking at, written his review yet?".
That's very flattering. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
Saw the car, drove the car, have no other words to describe the feeling except that i just booked it on the spot! Expecting delivery this weekend after all the formalities & paperwork.
Please do share a detailed ownership report with us; it'll greatly benefit other potential T-Jet owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidkill View Post
I think that Fiat maybe onto something here - they seem to have become common man's 'enthusiast' car. Its almost like the market itself has encouraged them to re-position their products in the performance and good looks segment.
Agreed. There wasn't a hatch as fun to drive as the Palio 1.6 (during its time), and there isn't a sub-10 lakh sedan as satisfying as the T-Jet today. This car is almost like a 9 lakh rupee equivalent of the Skoda vRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Ok, how many of you current linea owners would have paid extra and gone for the t-jet?
I'd say all of the enthusiastic owners for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
I've test driven the Fiat Bravo Maunal 1.4 T-jet 150bhp in Singapore. This is an Intercooled motor which explains the extra power. The torque is 206Nm.
Why is there such a large difference in the horsepower rating, yet none in the torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Does TBHP have sophisticated instruments for measuring this accurately
Don't spoil the surprise element. Just wait a li'l bit longer for an announcement thread

Quote:
then can we have the stats included (like 0-60,0-100, in-gear acceleration etc) in all official reviews?
Sure thing.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:29   #101
BHPian

T-jet seems to be boxed in between the Vento(specially diesel) and City. Hope it is not squeezed in between. Maybe Fiat should focus on areas where Vento's thin service network has not reached.
How I wish Tjet had got the rear space formula also correct.It would have been a easy choice for many. We, Indians like to have a lot of space around. Only TATA seems to have understood that aspect.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:08   #102
Senior - BHPian

It already seems that the T-jet has got a more enthusiastic response from our forum than the Punto VGT ever did. I hope it's the same outside the forum as well. Could this be the shot in the arm that Fiat India has been looking for?
Old 20th October 2010, 13:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely agree with deepblue. Already 5 members in my family, a four seater sedan would be the last thing I would look for, whatever features a car has or however powerful the engine is. Already spoiled by the Indica for space, I would opt for a decent 3 seater rear bench car, don't want to cramp my parents, when I would be enjoying in the drivers seat. Wish Fiat gives a thought to this so as to utilize the longer wheel base in a better way.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 20th October 2010 at 13:23. Reason: corrected spelling mistakes
Old 20th October 2010, 13:41   #104
BHPian

Even Vento has a problem in seating 3 in rear bench due to the unexpectedly wide and high middle hump.

So ANHC remains the preferred ~9 lac sedan for seating 5. Probably SX4 comes closer to seating 5 with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Absolutely agree with deepblue. Already 5 members in my family, a four seater sedan would be the last thing I would look for, whatever features a car has or however powerful the engine is. Already spoiled by the Indica for space, I would opt for a decent 3 seater rear bench car, don't want to cramp my parents, when I would be enjoying in the drivers seat. Wish Fiat gives a thought to this so as to utilize the longer wheel base in a better way.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:46   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post

Why don't you check the rear seat comfort by visiting the TATA/FIAT dealer, you will get better idea how comfortable or uncomfortable is the seating position at rear for your liking.

Most Viewed